ADVERTISEMENT

Callahan points about PSU D

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Andrew Callahan makes interesting points in his tale of the tape analysis of the PSU D. (I can't link bc it's behind paywall) It's a positive review, but most of it is a good explanation of the series of mistakes (by Cabinda, Scott, Apke) and getting outplayed (Buchholtz) that led to the Iowa TDs. The PSU D played great except for the plays where they didn't.

He said two things I found interesting:

1) He thinks Indiana will be the toughest test of the year for the PSU corners.
2) Callahan has been pretty critical of the PSU linebacker play this season but thought they played well vs. Iowa -- with exception of a few big mistakes that led to TDs.

I love Cabinda but I'm always glad to see a Brandon Smith rotation. I don't think that guy is ever in the wrong spot.

Andrew Callahan makes interesting points in his tale of the tape analysis of the PSU D. (I can't link bc it's behind paywall) It's a positive review, but most of it is a good explanation of the series of mistakes (by Cabinda, Scott, Apke) and getting outplayed (Buchholtz) that led to the Iowa TDs. The PSU D played great except for the plays where they didn't.

2) Callahan has been pretty critical of the PSU linebacker play this season but thought they played well vs. Iowa -- with exception of a few big mistakes that led to TDs.

I love Cabinda but I'm always glad to see a Brandon Smith rotation. I don't think that guy is ever in the wrong spot.

Wadley is a tough match up for Cabinda. Cabinda is a great run stuffer but Iowa really tried to put Cabinda on one with Wadley all night. Wadley is one of the best receiving RB's we'll see this year. No way #40 is going to be able to cover him. And, that long run, I suspect somebody missed an assignment because there was nobody, NOBODY beyond the LOS on our right side of the field. Once Wadley cleared the LOS, he was gone.

IU receivers as a group are extremely underrated. I would agree this is probably the best WR position corps PSU will play all year so secondary will need to be on.

Reactions: BBrown
IU receivers as a group are extremely underrated. I would agree this is probably the best WR position corps PSU will play all year so secondary will need to be on.
I disagree that they are underrated. I've seen them ranked top ten nationally and some "pundits" have them rated as the best in the Big Ten.

Wadley is a tough match up for Cabinda. Cabinda is a great run stuffer but Iowa really tried to put Cabinda on one with Wadley all night. Wadley is one of the best receiving RB's we'll see this year. No way #40 is going to be able to cover him. And, that long run, I suspect somebody missed an assignment because there was nobody, NOBODY beyond the LOS on our right side of the field. Once Wadley cleared the LOS, he was gone.

Very good point. Wadley is a mismatch for any LB but especially a big MLB type.

I didn't love the safety play Saturday. We saw substandard safety play on all three Iowa TDs. Apke was just awful on the one -- footwork was all messed up, just not good technique. And Scott missed the tackle on Wadley that you have to make. And Marcus Allen -- probably improving but coverage will never be his strength.

Reactions: psu00
Very good point. Wadley is a mismatch for any LB but especially a big MLB type.

I didn't love the safety play Saturday. We saw substandard safety play on all three Iowa TDs. Apke was just awful on the one -- footwork was all messed up, just not good technique. And Scott missed the tackle on Wadley that you have to make. And Marcus Allen -- probably improving but coverage will never be his strength.

Agree but Iowa is happy to take Wadley's big play ability but lose a ton when needed those 3 yards on first down. Our S really are great at run support and flow really fast. #4 came in out of control and our S got beat on pass protection a couple of times because they didn't think Iowa could make those throws. Overall, we played a good game on D. Our problem was not scoring when on Offense.

I disagree that they are underrated. I've seen them ranked top ten nationally and some "pundits" have them rated as the best in the Big Ten.

Agreed. If anything, IU's receivers are overrated, starting with Herbie raving about them against OSU.

I am glad Wadley didn't go down at the 5, Iowa run the clock & kick the field goal with little or no time remaining.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT