ADVERTISEMENT

California State Wrestling Tournament

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
The California state wrestling tournament occurred this weekend. California only has one division for the whole state, so it is a huge tournament, and to place there is quite an accomplishment. There are several qualifying tournaments to navigate to even make it to the state tournament. This year 276 high schools had at least one wrestler represented at the boys' tournament. Poway High, which borders San Diego and is only about 20 minutes from my house, came very close to winning it this year, with Buchanan High in Clovis winning their sixth consecutive title. It is amazing to think the city of Clovis, with a population of 120,000, had three of the top ten teams in the state and had 21 individual state placers.

Boys Team Scores (Top 10):

1. Buchanan 270
2. Poway 256.5
3. Clovis 174.5
4. Palm Desert 161
5. St. John Bosco 144
6. Temecula Valley 141
7. Clovis North 140.5
8. Calvary Chapel 127.5
9. Gilroy 120
10. Vacaville 113.5

The individual stats are also pretty interesting. Poway was only 14.5 points behind Buchanan, but they didn't have anyone in the finals! A lot of their points came from backside wins. Also, there was a really ugly call in the finals where a reversal and near fall were reversed after the clock ran out. If I can find a link to the video, I'll post it. It will be interesting to hear what everyone here has to say about it.

The California state wrestling tournament occurred this weekend. California only has one division for the whole state, so it is a huge tournament, and to place there is quite an accomplishment. There are several qualifying tournaments to navigate to even make it to the state tournament. This year 276 high schools had at least one wrestler represented at the boys' tournament. Poway High, which borders San Diego and is only about 20 minutes from my house, came very close to winning it this year, with Buchanan High in Clovis winning their sixth consecutive title. It is amazing to think the city of Clovis, with a population of 120,000, had three of the top ten teams in the state and had 21 individual state placers.

Boys Team Scores (Top 10):

1. Buchanan 270
2. Poway 256.5
3. Clovis 174.5
4. Palm Desert 161
5. St. John Bosco 144
6. Temecula Valley 141
7. Clovis North 140.5
8. Calvary Chapel 127.5
9. Gilroy 120
10. Vacaville 113.5

Clovis is a machine in most sports. They start them young based on school area in club sports. And it helps they are also well funded.

Watched it on my phone so I could not see it well.

What I do know is the photo that he is referring to as control is under rule 5-25-1. He is in the wrong church and pew.

Rule 5 in the NFHS rulebook refers to "Definitions"

The 25 is for "Section 25 Takedown"

The 1 is for "Article 1" of Section 25 which discusses what is a takedown.

If you are going to argue a point, at least refer to the right section of the rulebook.

Was the kid robbed? I can't tell from my small screen. But I have seen that initial position thousands of time and there is no loss of control as to the time where the wrestler in control still has a leg.

Most time the guy in control is hoping/praying to hold it for a stalemate.

Later a few frame it may have been a reversal I just could not tell.

Watched it on my phone so I could not see it well.

What I do know is the photo that he is referring to as control is under rule 5-25-1. He is in the wrong church and pew.

Rule 5 in the NFHS rulebook refers to "Definitions"

The 25 is for "Section 25 Takedown"

The 1 is for "Article 1" of Section 25 which discusses what is a takedown.

If you are going to argue a point, at least refer to the right section of the rulebook.

Was the kid robbed? I can't tell from my small screen. But I have seen that initial position thousands of time and there is no loss of control as to the time where the wrestler in control still has a leg.

Most time the guy in control is hoping/praying to hold it for a stalemate.

Later a few frame it may have been a reversal I just could not tell.
If it is a takedown intuit position, it should also be a reversal. A takedown means you have control, the same as a reversal means. As a matter of fact, when you are behind a guy in the standing position, it is a reversal, button a takedown, so the reversal should have been called and given. At the very least, they should have called it bad time and rewrestled the last whatever number of seconds were in dispute.

Reactions: nitlion6
If the official thought it was a change in control, and then called it out the only input the second official should have had there was if the call was obviously incorrect. It wasn't, the second official's subjective input unnecessarily and incorrectly polluted the situation.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
He was robbed big time.
Not because I think he has a reversal or nearfall, but because the points were given to him. There would be no need to escape with :17 if he has a reversal. Then you wave of all points and not go back to :17 ....
No replay would be a poor excuse because they overturned points with no replay.

ADVERTISEMENT