ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Cael Sanderson signs extension

Still not confirmed that he actually signed. Just another outlet recycling the same "it's been taken care of" tweet.

Reactions: backdrft76
All hail Cael! As good a GOAT as there is in any sport. Incredible representative of the university and a major reason the sport of wrestling is enjoying what might be its best era ever and getting better. It’s popularity is at an all time high. Kudos to Cael and the rest of his staff who I’m sure are sharing in the new treasure chest. How grateful we are for these past 13 yrs.. Unbelievable when you look back over the years and performances.

Flo has a 2nd source cited:

Here is Audrey Snyder's article -- and that's some actual journalism, because it's apparent in the very first sentence that she did the work of speaking with someone in Athletics who confirmed it. (As opposed to the Collegian and Onward State and the like extrapolating an ambiguous tweet and then writing articles citing each other.)

Here is Audrey Snyder's article -- and that's some actual journalism, because it's apparent in the very first sentence that she did the work of speaking with someone in Athletics who confirmed it. (As opposed to the Collegian and Onward State and the like extrapolating an ambiguous tweet and then writing articles citing each other.)

Thanks, I didn’t even look for it because I figured it would be paywalled. I do appreciate the content the Athletic puts together though.

Just saw Cenzo stepped down at Stanford. Is it likely he comes back to wrestle in the NLWC and coach with Cael or Jake or DT?

The task for coaches in Iowa City and Columbus remains unchanged. They have had 10 years to observe the changes that Cael & Company have brought to State College. They will keep searching for the changes that will help them catch the premier wrestling team of the age. We will all enjoy the show!

The task for coaches in Iowa City and Columbus remains unchanged. They have had 10 years to observe the changes that Cael & Company have brought to State College. They will keep searching for the changes that will help them catch the premier wrestling team of the age. We will all enjoy the show!
Their best bet is to hire some of Cael’s best-wired wrestlers. Easier said than done because many wouldn’t have those places as a destination, and at least one of those coaches would never be willing to concede that’s a path. Works for me!

Reactions: nitlion6
I am elated at this news! One question, I can’t find anywhere where the length of his contract was specified. Did I miss something? 🤔

giphy.gif
No, not proof. Of course I believe it was completed. I'd just like to know the length of the deal. A 25 year deal would be ideal! :)

Using the time machine to go back to 2009 when Cael was hired:

cAeL cAn’T cOmPeTe WiTh BrAnDs So He’S rUnNiNg AwAY! hE’lL nEvEr WiN tHeRe!

Cael doesn’t seem like the type, but I can only imagine the smug satisfaction I’d feel if I was him right now. The Penn State wrestling club should make him a scrapbook filled with choice Iowa message board and press comments over the years

I personally believe Cael is too humble for all of that and I respect that he wants to make brands squirm with trying to figure out how much more Cael is making than him lol.
No, not proof. Of course I believe it was completed. I'd just like to know the length of the deal. A 25 year deal would be ideal!

I personally believe Cael is too humble for all of that and I respect that he wants to make brands squirm with trying to figure out how much more Cael is making than him lol.
I agree on Cael's humility and he and the staff have earned the right to be paid above any other staff. I don't think money drives Cael as much as having his wrestlers achieve their goals of winning Individual and Team National championships as well as World and Olympic medals.
Again he is worthy of being the top paid college wrestling coach in the USA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT