ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson Contract

butchnitt

Oct 24, 2003
Yesterday I emailed Sandy Barbour stating that I thought it was more important to get Cael Sanderson under contract than extending Franklin's contract.

In less than an hour Sandy responded as follows:

"Thanks, Mr. P

I do agree with you that Coach Sanderson's contract is a priority and that he has been an exceptional asset to Penn State.

We hope to have some good news for all on this front later this week.

Thanks again for writing.

SB "

Thanks for the update. This would be awesome news if Cael and the staff are under contract by the end of the week.

Reactions: bmw199
That's a scoop. Nicely done, Butch!

Wonder if the "for all" means that Franklin's extension will be announced as well?

Yesterday I emailed Sandy Barbour stating that I thought it was more important to get Cael Sanderson under contract than extending Franklin's contract.

"Thanks, Mr. P

I do agree with you that Coach Sanderson's contract is a priority and that he has been an exceptional asset to Penn State.

SB "

These are the two "legacy" Pennsylvania Sports that are a reflection of the historic "character" of Pennsylvania (PSU also has a tradition of two-sport superstars in Wrestling and Football). I think it's awesome that Cael loves football and Franklin loves wrestling and the two coaches have a symbiotic relationship in regards to "recruiting the home turf". The Beast of the East in these sports has returned reminiscent of the programs under JVP and Rich Lorenzo / Bill Koll, Rip Engle and Charlie Spiedel.....

"Thanks, Mr. P

SB "

The BOT probably wants to have some popular news to counter the negative reaction to their vote on Dambly for BOT Chairman, which I believe is due tomorrow.

There's a BoT meeting today and tomorrow - the first one that's taken place since early May. I'd be willing to wager that Cael and Franklin's extensions (and maybe others) have been agreed upon for a little while now, but will be formally ratified and announced in conjunction with the meeting.

Edit: the agendas for the Trustee meeting are online. The Committee on Compensation is meeting (both in an executive session and a public session) on Thursday afternoon, and on the public agenda is "review process for approval of any pay changes for President and Tier II/IIA executives".

Looking at the University's charts, Head Football Coach (but not wrestling) is listed as a Tier IIA executive. My guess is that Franklin's extension is approved by the Board on Thursday, and Cael's is announced at around the same time.

Last edited:
Amen brethren. Codey and Cunningham. Retain at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing an assistant AD. I thank you.

Throw in the loss of an AD or two to sweeten the new deals!​

;)

Reactions: 91Joe95
awesome news...lets get these guys the money they deserve.
Although I agree that it would be great news that their contracts would be extended, I believe they are currently making the money they deserve. If you mean pay CJF what Hairball is making, than that's not going to happen.I do hope he has performance compensation incentives to get us additional B1G championships, Playoff wins and a National Championship wins. I don't know what Cael is making, and would be surprised if he wasn't well paid already, but has proven he is worthy of some kind of salary increase based on all the National Titles he and his players have brought home!

Although I agree that it would be great news that their contracts would be extended, I believe they are currently making the money they deserve. If you mean pay CJF what Hairball is making, than that's not going to happen. I don't know what Cael is making, but I'm sure he is well paid already, but has proven he is worthy of some kind of salary increase based on all the National Titles he and his players have brought home!

One's market value is derived from how much someone else is willing to pay.

If someone wants to pay you more, you go for it.

I see Casey Cunningham leave soon for a Head Coaching job.

Always a consideration.

However, Casey may be more interested in the family benefits of living in Happy Valley.

These are dedicated professionals who look at family life inside and outside of the sport for themselves and their wrestlers.

Last edited:
Throw in the loss of an AD or two to sweeten the new deals!​

;)

Incorrect. It's time to form two very important executive committees.

Executive Committee for Renegotiation of Head Coach Contracts
Executive Committee for Renegotiation of Assistant Coach Contracts

I figure each committee should have 12 members, each with a minimum of 20 years in university administration. Of course, these would be standing committees, meaning they would be retained by Penn State even when no contracts were up for review.

Reactions: Bob78 and T J
One's market value is derived from how much someone else is willing to pay.

If someone wants to pay you more, you go for it.

That's bull$hit - the factors that lead to any one person's decisions in regards to such a matter are "personal" to that individual. Coach Franklin being a classic example - Vanderbilt countered PSU's Offer by more than $1 million per year, but Coach Franklin said he decided to take the PSU Offer for less money per year because it was the "destination position" he'd always dreamed of since entering the college coaching profession after his playing days at East Stroudsburg because he had dreamed of playing at PSU for "The Great Joe Paterno" as a high school player growing up in Pennsylvania (camped at PSU) and characterized himself as "Just a Pennsylvania kid with a Penn State heart" when he made the decision.

Reactions: T J
That's bull$hit - the factors that lead to any one person's decisions in regards to such a matter are "personal" to that individual. Coach Franklin being a classic example - Vanderbilt countered PSU's Offer by more than $1 million per year, but Coach Franklin said he decided to take the PSU Offer for less money per year because it was the "destination position" he'd always dreamed of since entering the college coaching profession after his playing days at East Stroudsburg because he had dreamed of playing at PSU for "The Great Joe Paterno" as a high school player growing up in Pennsylvania (camped at PSU) and characterized himself as "Just a Pennsylvania kid with a Penn State heart" when he made the decision.

BTW, if you don't believe me, THIS CONTEMPORANEOUS ARTICLE cites all the same facts including Franklin's own words on the topic.

Correct. Different things motivate different people. For Casey and Cody, I don't many HC spots offer them the same total package they get at PSU as assistants.

Reactions: Lyons212

I love you, Bushie.

Don't ever change.

Correct. Different things motivate different people. For Casey and Cody, I don't many HC spots offer them the same total package they get at PSU as assistants.

agree

Id be a bit surprised to see Casey leave. Only way it happens IMO is if he NEEDS to fulfill a personal challenge of being a HC, or if its a ridiculous amount of $$.

Last edited:
agree

Id be a bit surprised to see Casey leave. Only way it happens IMO is if he NEEDS to fulfill a personal challenge of being a HC, or if its a ridiculous amount of $$.

That is my point. There aren't many that get into coaching and make it a profession that do not want to have their own program.

"Thanks, Mr. P

SB "
For all the bashing Sandy has taken on these forum(s), this is a forthcoming and frank answer when she didn't have say anything to Mr P. I find that refreshing being that most of the time when I call one of my US Senators, I need to call at least 3 different offices before I get an answer and can leave a v-mail. And I never get a reply. Of course Sandy is bringing us joy and good news....

No sir, I am not wrong on the fact that I love you and don't want you to change.

And I'm still honored that your last screen name was a take off of mine.

Talking to yourself and shadows again PennsyOrafice?

41zBveleIqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Is there an AAD position for Contract Renewals? If it pays the usual $100K+, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Incorrect. It's time to form two very important executive committees.

Executive Committee for Renegotiation of Head Coach Contracts
Executive Committee for Renegotiation of Assistant Coach Contracts

I figure each committee should have 12 members, each with a minimum of 20 years in university administration. Of course, these would be standing committees, meaning they would be retained by Penn State even when no contracts were up for review.

Hey, I'll join both committees as an unpaid volunteer. I have no Univ. Admin. experience, which is a big bene to the rest of them, as they would have me to blame stuff on. What I lack in experience, I make for with ineptitude. I'm perfect for the role.
I will report first thing Monday morning.
Couple of coaches better step it up by the time their contracts are up. They know who they are.

Hey, I'll join both committees as an unpaid volunteer. I have no Univ. Admin. experience, which is a big bene to the rest of them, as they would have me to blame stuff on. What I lack in experience, I make for with ineptitude. I'm perfect for the role.
I will report first thing Monday morning.
Couple of coaches better step it up by the time their contracts are up. They know who they are.

Unpaid? Nonsense! We Are Penn State! You'll take $150k and like it. No? O.K. $200k and a car.

Last edited:
Please, make it stop! At $300k and the car.....
But I'll feel guilty about it, I promise.

At Penn State, we don't stand for people who feel guilty for taking our money. Unacceptable. You will take $500k for the first year and then $750k for the second.

That'll show you.

Reactions: Bob78
agree

Casey probably makes more money at PSU as an assistant then he could make at most D1 schools as a HC. To get a big contract as a D1 HC, Casey would have to pay his dues someplace as a HC to demonstrate he can lead a program.

ADVERTISEMENT