ADVERTISEMENT

Cael contract negotiation update

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it I can't say. People just liked it better that way. ;)

Good point. Then why did Constantinople get the works? Is it nobody's business but the Turks'? :)

And who thought Intercourse was a good name for a town in PA?;)

It is next to Blue Balls........so it seems like the logical place to go next.

If memory serves it's not too far from Paradise either.

All I know for certain is that those are not places you can go to in Mianus.
[Connecticut]

Reactions: Dogwelder
If memory serves it's not too far from Paradise either.

That is correct. If you are driving east on 322 you will go past Shy Beaver and 2 hours later hit Blue Ball. Turn right and you will find Intercourse in about 10 minutes. From there you will be in Paradise in 2 minutes or less....depending on how fast you are going. All true. I think we just wrote the script for Adam Sandler's next movie. Titles?

That is correct. If you are driving east on 322 you will go past Shy Beaver and 2 hours later hit Blue Ball. Turn right and you will find Intercourse in about 10 minutes. From there you will be in Paradise in 2 minutes or less....depending on how fast you are going. All true. I think we just wrote the script for Adam Sandler's next movie. Titles?

So anyone have insight on the current last post of a Cael contract thread on TheMat?

I am hearing in State College that one of the big hold ups is the allocation of the a university plane. The plane was allegedly donated for recruiting. Sandy Barbour's position is that women's athletics should have equal use of the plane thus having coaches like Sanderson losing a number of trips. That is at least what I have heard locally.

Penn State has always viewed Title IX as not being equal opportunity but equal everything, at least from the administrative side. I'm sure that it has only become a stronger position since they hired a former Field Hockey player/coach to be the AD.

Somewhat ties into Cael's "facilities" discussion and appears to be eminently solvable among reasonable parties. I know there are some on the FB board who will never give Sandy a chance, but from what I see she's got good relationships to the main coaches at PSU. She certainly doesn't seem to be the man-hater type that nearly did in Lock Haven/Clarion? male athletics (Sharon Taylor?).

Once he gets the final signature from the BOT i am told the contract is done.
Why do you continue to just make things up? The problem is when make this stuff up people who actually have a clue can call you out on your BS. The wrestling coach contract doesn't fall under the specific position that require approval from the BOT compensation committee approval. This information is publicly available on Penn State's website. I have linked positions that require the committee's approval so when you make things up in the future you can reference it. The only athletic department positions on it are AD, Football Coach, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball.

https://trustees.psu.edu/pdf/january2014compDRAFTOperating Guidelines.pdf

Why do you continue to just make things up? The problem is when make this stuff up people who actually have a clue can call you out on your BS. The wrestling coach contract doesn't fall under the specific position that require approval from the BOT compensation committee approval. This information is publicly available on Penn State's website. I have linked positions that require the committee's approval so when you make things up in the future you can reference it. The only athletic department positions on it are AD, Football Coach, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball.

Good find PSU. That is what I was told from others on board as well. Thanks for the info. Link saved.

Thanks for that. I do wonder whether Barbour might still seek committee input/approval if the money Cael is asking for approaches the level of the women's basketball coach (reported at $700k in 2015). While the Operating Guidelines do explicitly categorize Football, Mens & Women's Basketball coaches as needing committee approval, there's nothing intrinsically special about those positions other than the fact that they're typically the highest paid athletic positions (along with AD, listed in that same tier). So I might expect that if the wrestling coach's salary were to potentially enter into the same stratosphere, Barbour wouldn't necessarily take a letter-of-the-law approach but might rather seek to pull others into the decisionmaking process for reasonable-enough political reasons.

The above isn't to defend anyone spreading baseless rumors stated as fact, I just think that the delay could be due to the negotiations being between more parties than merely Barbour and Cael.

Good find PSU. That is what I was told from others on board as well. Thanks for the info. Link saved.
so basically you are finally admitting that you just read things on this board, then pass it off as inside information. thank you for finally coming clean.

Thanks for that. I do wonder whether Barbour might still seek committee input/approval if the money Cael is asking for approaches the level of the women's basketball coach (reported at $700k in 2015). While the Operating Guidelines do explicitly categorize Football, Mens & Women's Basketball coaches as needing committee approval, there's nothing intrinsically special about those positions other than the fact that they're typically the highest paid athletic positions (along with AD, listed in that same tier). So I might expect that if the wrestling coach's salary were to potentially enter into the same stratosphere, Barbour wouldn't necessarily take a letter-of-the-law approach but might rather seek to pull others into the decisionmaking process for reasonable-enough political reasons.

The above isn't to defend anyone spreading baseless rumors stated as fact, I just think that the delay could be due to the negotiations being between more parties than merely Barbour and Cael.

wonder if said coaches are reviewed as they are the sports that could impact revenue the most - BIGten network, number of home games, etc. They weren't expecting the non-major sport success in terms of draw and potentially revenue. Just wondering...

Re-posting the document, as it contains the revision date. Content is identical for the referenced language...

https://trustees.psu.edu/pdf/PSU Compensation Committee Operating Guidelines_Feb 2017.pdf

If Cael wants $700k then they should let him walk. It simply unrealistic to pay a wrestling coach more than twice the what the next highest paid coach makes. Especially when the sport loses money. Tom Ryan has won a national championship and is make $319k. I could see offering him $400k. That kind of offer would be like Alabama offering Saban $20 million a year when the next highest paid coach Harbaugh makes $9 million per year.

Reactions: 1PSU1
If Cael wants $700k then they should let him walk. It simply unrealistic to pay a wrestling coach more than twice the what the next highest paid coach makes. Especially when the sport loses money. Tom Ryan has won a national championship and is make $319k. I could see offering him $400k. That kind of offer would be like Alabama offering Saban $20 million a year when the next highest paid coach Harbaugh makes $9 million per year.
I strongly doubt the number is $700k and it's not really worth speculating in a vacuum; my only point was that Barbour might feel more comfortable seeking board input if the new number is significantly higher, which it will be. She has to consider not only Cael and staff but the what impact their salaries would have on the other sports programs, since they're not profiting on paper as well. Paper profit isn't the whole story, though, and the board is most likely attuned to which programs are generate alumni donations, one of many non-quantifiable factors that doesn't show up on a balance sheet.

I strongly doubt the number is $700k and it's not really worth speculating in a vacuum; my only point was that Barbour might feel more comfortable seeking board input if the new number is significantly higher, which it will be. She has to consider not only Cael and staff but the what impact their salaries would have on the other sports programs, since they're not profiting on paper as well. Paper profit isn't the whole story, though, and the board is most likely attuned to which programs are generate alumni donations, one of many non-quantifiable factors that doesn't show up on a balance sheet.
along your line of thinking....IF your approved budget needs to be adjusted by several 0's as the result of one or maybe two program extensions, probably good to get board approval to CYA. thats my practical train of my thought.

also if there is a major program benefactor, maybe that person or others on the BOT would like to grab some headlines, high fives, ass slaps (too soon?) etc that comes with signing one of the great coaches of any program anywhere?

just my $0.01

Probably underpaid at $700,000. Not sure what all those national championships are worth in alumni donations but a lot.....

...the PSWC donates about $100,000 per year to the wrestling team...
... not many other schools have that level of outside support...

i dont want to play sloppy seconds to the HR but Im pretty confident that BWI could swing a nice fundraising campaign......if it was needed to avoid falling off the team podium :) (I kid, I kid)

How do you know it's not resolved ? I am hearing something different.

Should be in a few days, just like you said with McKenna in June?Kinda cool they let you stroll around the hallways in Rec Hall. Thanks for the entertainment

Should be in a few days, just like you said with McKenna in June?Kinda cool they let you stroll around the hallways in Rec Hall. Thanks for the entertainment
Lol. I was not in rec hall i told you. I said i was over working out at the gym that hooks onto rec hall. Parents of students can pay and lift there. Saw a couple guys coming out of rec hall and ask them about Nick...Got it now ? Lol. All good bro.

Lol. I was not in rec hall i told you. I said i was over working out at the gym that hooks onto rec hall. Parents of students can pay and lift there. Saw a couple guys coming out of rec hall and ask them about Nick...Got it now ? Lol. All good bro.

Rec Hall is Rec Hall. There is no gym that HOOKS on. Got it bro. LOL.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
So that is where Cael's creative financing (aka slush fund) comes from.

Rec Hall is Rec Hall. There is no gym that HOOKS on. Got it bro. LOL.
Wanna bet ? The big building with all the glass on the 2nd floor is the big weight room for students and whoever. You must have a pass to get in....Look smack beside rec hall and a blind man can see it.Lol. Maybe someone else from our area can verify for you....

So that is where Cael's creative financing (aka slush fund) comes from.

Well, there is a big difference between the Penn State Wrestling Club, which is run ENTIRELY by volunteers, vs. the Minny booster club where the President is a paid member of the Minny athletic department.

Hepper Fitness Center is 71 Rec Hall.
https://sites.psu.edu/psustrength/hepper-fitness-center/

And while it's true that parents can pay to lift there, guest passes cannot be purchased there or online -- must be purchased at IM or White.
http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/campusrec/strength/memberinfo.asp

So now we have the answer to the burning question: who exactly buys a gym pass on one end of campus and then crosses campus to work out? Well, maybe we have the answer to that question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT