ADVERTISEMENT

Cael contract negotiation update

I'm not sure if the statue of Cael should be in front of Rec Hall or the State Capitol in Harrisburg, though.
I think there should be a statue of Cael in front of Carver Hawkeye Arena, Iowa fans are so obsessed with him. The only change of course would be the name plate would read "Carl" and his statue would shadow or shade Gables.

We're wondering the same as she's sat mat side for every virtuoso demolition and went to Nationals and saw the five Champions in a row and the 6th National Title in 8 years.

Is Cael asking for a Gablesque Statue out front? At this rate, Cael might have to fork over the cash himself for it or ask Cody and Casey to start a slush fund for it. o_O
Cael's statue should be like the one below - but way bigger

12%20Guan%20Yu%20Statue.%20Yuncheng%2C%20China%2C%2080%20meters%20(%20262%20ft)%20Built%20in%202010.jpg.CROP.original-original.%20Yuncheng%2C%20China%2C%2080%20meters%20(%20262%20ft)%20Built%20in%202010.jpg

Minnesota has a 1.9B state surplus that they don't know how to spend. Prolly won't go to Cael but maybe they could top your slush fund offer to get Hall & Berge to come home.

One of the mods on FOS posted that the BOT would have to approve Carl's contract. They do not meet for about 3 weeks. The contract could be done much like Franklin's and just waiting for formal approval by the BOT.

I am not worried about the contract it wil get done. Also reality is that there are maybe half a dozen programs in the country, if that, that can provide everything Cael would want to dominate. Factor in location (Cael seems to like rural areas), current coaching staff contract, and the desire to poor a bunch of money into a program that does not make money...the list of schools is really quite small.

I think there should be a statue of Cael in front of Carver Hawkeye Arena, Iowa fans are so obsessed with him. The only change of course would be the name plate would read "Carl" and his statue would shadow or shade Gables.
Pretty sure Iowa fans are obsessed with Gable not Cael!

Minnesota has a 1.9B state surplus that they don't know how to spend. Prolly won't go to Cael but maybe they could top your slush fund offer to get Hall & Berge to come home.

I guess xanax wasn't a good way to build a slush fund. Bunch of amateurs in Minny.

Reactions: diggerpup
Where is that CT?
China - they've got some big-ass statues over there.

I've always loved the one in Volgograd, Russia I believe (I'll google it after this post) depicting the Motherland as a warrior with a massive sword.

I got Volgograd correct, but it's the "Motherland Calls". Amazing

2a5f01cc939b42e73ea43b37234432b0.jpg

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Yes indeed. Tough act to follow especially nowadays. Made my blood boil a bit even seeing a joking post about anything overshadowing Gables statue. Good way to start a riot in Iowa! Ha

Yes indeed. Tough act to follow especially nowadays. Made my blood boil a bit even seeing a joking post about anything overshadowing Gables statue. Good way to start a riot in Iowa! Ha
I wasn't joking. o_O

I've always loved the one in Volgograd, Russia I believe (I'll google it after this post) depicting the Motherland as a warrior with a massive sword.

A little history lesson here. Volgograd used to be Stalingrad, the site of the costliest battle in human history. The statue was erected to commemorate the victory of the Soviet Union over the invading Nazi army. Over 2,000,000 people died and an entire German army was annihilated. It was definitely one of the major turning points of WWII.

A little history lesson here. Volgograd used to be Stalingrad, the site of the costliest battle in human history. The statue was erected to commemorate the victory of the Soviet Union over the invading Nazi army. Over 2,000,000 people died and an entire German army was annihilated. It was definitely one of the major turning points of WWII.
Yup - 6th Army was annihilated. Von Paulus was an idiot - should have listened to von Manstein

That's right Ag. What a staggering cost. To put Stalingrad in perspective, more Russians died in one battle than Americans during the entire war.

One of the mods on FOS posted that the BOT would have to approve Carl's contract. They do not meet for about 3 weeks. The contract could be done much like Franklin's and just waiting for formal approval by the BOT.

I am not worried about the contract it wil get done. Also reality is that there are maybe half a dozen programs in the country, if that, that can provide everything Cael would want to dominate. Factor in location (Cael seems to like rural areas), current coaching staff contract, and the desire to poor a bunch of money into a program that does not make money...the list of schools is really quite small.
One idiot's thoughts: https://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/caels-contract-shenanigans-personal-thoughts/

First off, I appreciate your passion for the sport and always enjoy your take on things. Truth be told, I'm not much for Twitter but I'm pretty sure you were my very first follow there.

Ok, now onto Cael. I'm gonna reserve judgement when it comes to Sandy Barbour. There are two sides to every story and this one could very well have Cael being the reason things aren't settled yet. To me, Cael seems methodical in everything he does. I just think Cael most likely took his time, created his "plan" step by step for his program and that of the NLWC, making changes along the way, introducing new ideas and even demands on all sorts of things. Simply put, Cael could very well have wanted to take advantage of his success and position in the sport and wanted to make sure every base was covered before settling on a new deal.

And who knows, maybe Barbour was just as interested as Cael himself in making sure he would be happy and given exactly what he needs to build on the success he has already created. I think both sides realize they have a great thing going here, trust they have a strong working relationship and agreed that the process doesn't need to be rushed because of that trust in each other.

Last edited:

I think your citations of Franklin and Chambers as examples of coaches who would never be coaching in the last year of a contract without a renewal in place makes the obvious point pretty clear -- this is a sport of wrestling issue more than a particular AD vs coach issue.

No matter how successful Cael and Co. are, their product will not generate bigtime revenue. Sense of urgency is, therefore, non-existent (relatively speaking). Place their success at any program in football or basketball, and they would be getting locked up 10 years at a time, a year or two in advance. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little, but still . . . this would make the national news if Cael were a DI football coach.

Like the way they got the nips in there. Considering how cold it gets, that's probably an accurate representation.

Reactions: jtothemfp and SRATH
First off, I appreciate your passion for the sport and always enjoy your take on things. Truth be told, I'm not much for Twitter but I'm pretty sure you were my very first follow there.

Ok, now onto Cael. I'm gonna reserve judgement when it comes to Sandy Barbour. There are two sides to every story and this one could very well have Cael being the reason things aren't settled yet. To me, Cael seems methodical in everything he does. I just think Cael most likely took his time, created his "plan" step by step for his program and that of the NLWC, making changes along the way, introducing new ideas and even demands on all sorts of things. Simply put, Cael could very well have wanted to take advantage of his success and position in the sport and wanted to make sure every base was covered before settling on a new deal.

And who knows, maybe Barbour was just as interested as Cael himself in making sure he would be happy and given exactly what he needs to build on the success he has already created. I think both sides realize they have a great thing going here, trust they have a strong working relationship and agreed that the process doesn't need to be rushed because of that trust in each other.
Here's what's amazing: The fact that Cael has lined up such a strong class of 2018 (best class ever?) despite being in this predicament. It surprises me that a coach hasn't called a recruit, talked about the fact that Cael was in the last year of his contract and may not be there next year (2017-18), and used that against him...or maybe they've tried and those recruits saw through it! Heck, I remember that once being used against a coach (in another sport) who had two years left in his contract, and his season was exceeding all expectations!

Reactions: diggerpup
Here's what's amazing: The fact that Cael has lined up such a strong class of 2018 (best class ever?) despite being in this predicament. It surprises me that a coach hasn't called a recruit, talked about the fact that Cael was in the last year of his contract and may not be there next year (2017-18), and used that against him...or maybe they've tried and those recruits saw through it! Heck, I remember that once being used against a coach (in another sport) who had two years left in his contract, and his season was exceeding all expectations!
Once he gets the final signature from the BOT i am told the contract is done.

Even if Cael's new contract is sitting on the desk of the Trustees waiting for a final signature, that doesn't address the issue of why the AD would wait until the very end to have an extension worked out.

Maybe Cael pressed the AD hard for improvements in facilities and pay for assistants.

Still, the AD should have been negotiating this a year or two ago - not waiting until the very end.

Even if Cael's new contract is sitting on the desk of the Trustees waiting for a final signature, that doesn't address the issue of why the AD would wait until the very end to have an extension worked out.

Maybe Cael pressed the AD hard for improvements in facilities and pay for assistants.

Still, the AD should have been negotiating this a year or two ago - not waiting until the very end.
Very presumptuous to say they haven't been negotiating for some time.

But for discussion purposes let's assume that's true. Why would she wait until the bloody end? Because it's not the bloody end for anybody except impatient fans. Cael may have almost all the leverage, but ultimately he wants to stay, and Barbour wants to keep him. When it absolutely must get done, it will.

Didn't Paterno coach whole seasons without a contract? I could be wrong but think that was the case. Sanderson is in the middle of building a dynasty- he doesn't want to walk away. Barbour has been at PS long enough to know how wrestling is valued here. I am sure it is getting done...

I never talked to sandy, but I have talked to parents on the team and fans who have. I am told she was very approachable and gave the impression that the wrestling team meant a lot to her (its success that is). could be a cover, could be just who she is.

It's pretty simple. If for some reason Cael leaves PSU due to the new contract Barbour will be run out of town. I'm pretty sure she knows this. From the sounds of it there are some big time donors that are wrestling fans and she most likely doesn't want to piss them off. It would be professional suicide on her part.

Reactions: dnit
ADVERTISEMENT