ADVERTISEMENT

Cael contract negotiation update

tikk10

Nov 6, 2015
Story Jim Carlson at Penn Live:
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/as_deadline_passes_contract_ne.html

Essentially, still no news but at least there are statements of the sort you'd like to see while negotiations are ongoing, such as this by Sandy Barbour: "While we do not discuss contract details in sports other than football and basketball, keeping Cael in Happy Valley is important to us and we will continue to work diligently to ensure this is the case."

Reactions: pish69
Thanks for the update. I'll feel better when I know this thing is signed. I can't believe it hasn't been completed.

I wonder if he can still actively recruit without a contract signed?

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/as_deadline_passes_contract_ne.html

Essentially, still no news but at least there are statements of the sort you'd like to see while negotiations are ongoing, such as this by Sandy Barbour: "While we do not discuss contract details in sports other than football and basketball, keeping Cael in Happy Valley is important to us and we will continue to work diligently to ensure this is the case."
Penn State has the best college wrestling coach on campus and Barbour can't close the deal by the end of Cael's contract. You can bet the verbally committed Penn State class of 2018 will be getting calls a la 'no guarantee Cael will be there when you graduate' now. I also wonder if Cael can be on anyone's doorstep tonight without a contract. Barbour has taken a no brainer/sure thing and raised unnecessary questions and concerns. She needs to fix this and fix it pronto.

Penn State has the best college wrestling coach on campus and Barbour can't close the deal by the end of Cael's contract. You can bet the verbally committed Penn State class of 2018 will be getting calls a la 'no guarantee Cael will be there when you graduate' now. I also wonder if Cael can be on anyone's doorstep tonight without a contract. Barbour has taken a no brainer/sure thing and raised unnecessary questions and concerns. She needs to fix this and fix it pronto.
Did she name a new assistant AD to the task?

Looks like James Franklin just signed a 5 year extension with no formal announcement.

Maybe Cael did or could do the same??

They might very well have a month to month extension clause to work out final details.

People always want to have something to freak out about.

Guarentee other coaches will be using this against us though. Not good no matter how likely he will be to sign.

Recruits want to know the coach will be there

Just guessing.
It is done and the 2018 class already knows.
I do not understand why not making an announcement is now the PSU way.

Just guessing.
It is done and the 2018 class already knows.
I do not understand why not making an announcement is now the PSU way.
Didn't Penn State announce the extension of Gadowski's contract as men's hockey coach?

Guarentee other coaches will be using this against us though. Not good no matter how likely he will be to sign.

Recruits loathe negative recruiting. Just ask Spencer Lee. It tells the recruits you can't sell your program on its own merits.

And it will backfire big time -- remember that recruits can't sign until November. How is Coach A gonna look when he talks about PSU coaching instability, only to have it resolved by then? Like a liar, that's how.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Looks like James Franklin just signed a 5 year extension with no formal announcement.

Doesn't have to be formal but it has to be known. How the heck can you recruit if the players don't know who the coach is?

Recruits loathe negative recruiting. Just ask Spencer Lee.

And it will backfire big time -- remember that recruits can't sign until November. How is Coach A gonna look when he talks about PSU coaching instability, only to have it resolved by then? Like a liar, that's how.

I disagree. It's not negative when your telling the truth.

You are correct about nothing being signed until November but why even give these others schools even an opening for these types of conversations?

Makes no sense to me

Personally I think the dresser situation made Ryan, Brands, Cael and their staffs much richer. Any agent worth his salt would be using those new hires in negotiations. no disrespect to dresser and their staff, but if they are worth those dollars our guys are worth a magnitude higher.

queue Jerry McGuire..............

I disagree. It's not negative when your telling the truth.

You are correct about nothing being signed until November but why even give these others schools even an opening for these types of conversations?

Makes no sense to me
So let's throw some meat on the bone: hypothetically Zeke Jones tells RBY that Cael's contract expired. RBY asks if Cael Sanderson really isn't gonna be coach next year. Jones answers exactly how without coming across as a major idiot?

The recruits deserve more credit than this. If they're smart enough to get into PSU, they're smart enough to not fall for that.

Meh, as Spencer Lee mentioned, negative recruiting in the world of college wrestling is just plain idiotic. The type of kids Penn State recruits would see right through it, especially since they all know Sanderson's program is head and shoulders above all others and has been since these kids were in like 3rd or 4th grade. He'll get his contract.

Last edited:

Yes, FOS is reporting a 5 year extension. Source: Solomon Ennis, Curtis Ennis's son. Not the Athletic Department.

Last edited:
Typically, the original contract has language that he/she will continue to work on a month-to-month basis until a new contract is signed, or one of the parties terminates the agreement.

Reactions: T J
Personally I think the dresser situation made Ryan, Brands, Cael and their staffs much richer. Any agent worth his salt would be using those new hires in negotiations. no disrespect to dresser and their staff, but if they are worth those dollars our guys are worth a magnitude higher.

Dunk, how can I help *you* help Cael?

He had us at Hello.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER

Yea, even is she has to take a pay cut! That's how I define diligence.

Yea, even is she has to take a pay cut! That's how I define diligence.
The fact that this wasn't done at least a year in advance, to me, is incomprehensible. To put things into perspective, Penn State probably has enough talent in the pipeline, right now, to win the next six national championships in a row. Why Sandy would want to play Russian Roulette with that, I have no idea.

The fact that this wasn't done at least a year in advance, to me, is incomprehensible. To put things into perspective, Penn State probably has enough talent in the pipeline, right now, to win the next six national championships in a row. Why Sandy would want to play Russian Roulette with that, I have no idea.
We're wondering the same as she's sat mat side for every virtuoso demolition and went to Nationals and saw the five Champions in a row and the 6th National Title in 8 years.

Is Cael asking for a Gablesque Statue out front? At this rate, Cael might have to fork over the cash himself for it or ask Cody and Casey to start a slush fund for it. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT