ADVERTISEMENT

Cadet Worlds

Kasak wouldn't have won under folk rules either -- he would've been tied 3-3.

For those who have followed him closer … is Kasak one of those kids who’s better at folk than free?

Appreciate you guys sharing. I know a lot of people said Kasak's Escape the Rock performance might be the best of them all.

Slightly off-topic, but I am surprised HR doesn't even have a thread on Cadet Worlds. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between some college wrestling fans and freestyle (or greco), which is unfortunate.

Slightly off-topic, but I am surprised HR doesn't even have a thread on Cadet Worlds. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between some college wrestling fans and freestyle (or greco), which is unfortunate.
No...I think it's because none of "their guys" are competing at Cadets Worlds. They seem to only be interested if their guys or recruits are wrestling. Last week, they were all into the Fargo...they had a slew of Iowa recruits there so they cared. I'm just talking about the boards in general. There are guys like js and jrod that take interest in all wrestling and the athletes no matter their affiliation. And I don't think it's a coincidence that they are the guys it's most enjoyable to talk wrestling with..

I just really really hope Sealey doesn’t go there!
Sealey is from an hour away from Chapel Hill, and IIRC has trained with the Tar Heel WC. It would be fun to watch Ramos battle Brands for him.

Still would prefer we get him of course.

Sealey is from an hour away from Chapel Hill, and IIRC has trained with the Tar Heel WC. It would be fun to watch Ramos battle Brands for him.

UNC would be great place for him if PSU isn’t in the cards. Just not Iowa….or Michigan….or tOSU

Personally hoping we are in contact with Minisink Valley for Ryder and Duke. Both are studs who will make impact on college programs.
Unfortunately, from what I hear, PJ Duke is essentially a done deal to Cornell. Not announced since it's so early but his older sister is joining Elmira College's Women's wrestling program (which is about 45 minutes away)

Reactions: hlstone
No...I think it's because none of "their guys" are competing at Cadets Worlds. They seem to only be interested if their guys or recruits are wrestling. Last week, they were all into the Fargo...they had a slew of Iowa recruits there so they cared.

I blame myself for not starting a results thread on HR like I often do. I chose not to for the exact reasons you listed above. That's not a knock on anyone, IMO, as I'm sure that a fair amount of Hawkeye fans watched the matches. Even if they didn't post about it.

HS aged freestyle/greco isn't for everyone and it's understandable that a college specific board wouldn't have much interest if their school isn't represented.

All that being said, cadet and jr worlds are a must-watch in my eyes. I always enjoy seeing the difference in styles of the countries. Not to mention getting a preview of the next big thing domestically.

I just really really hope Sealey doesn’t go there!

ronburgundy-agree.gif

Unfortunately, from what I hear, PJ Duke is essentially a done deal to Cornell. Not announced since it's so early but his older sister is joining Elmira College's Women's wrestling program (which is about 45 minutes away)
That would obviously be a huge get for Cornell. If Duke has the grades for Cornell then this makes sense. If you have the chance watch Duke's match against Vito Arujau's brother George in this years NYS final. One of the strangest matches i've even seen firsthand. The entire arena was pretty convinced George was wrestling with intent to injure, but on replay it seems like a poorly officiated match.

The unc folks w a lot social media love for sealey.

I note this because there is an existing relationship that probably only grows

Where did Tyler’s second step out go? Lol
Just watched the match. It appeared to me that Kasak's opponent not only did not step out but should have had the takedown. The official calling the step out robbed him of the takedown.

I would have guessed NC State for PJ just based on social media and the fact that he grew up wrestling at the same club as the Jacks!

However, Cornell does have an amazing track record at keeping the top Empire State prospects at home!

On the flip side, to give PSU fans reason for optimism, the fact that both PJ and Zack are both currently affiliated with the KD Training Center is good for the Lions....Coach Khaled is very close with RBY!

Also, Minisink Valley has routinely attended the Penn State team camp! So there is an existing relationship between programs!

Luke lil looked great. He'll transition to juniors really well.

Sealy looks like he'll be able to step right in for someone. Pretty polished, but also a fearless bulldog.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Kasak loss is exactly why FS is great. It’s MUCH harder to hold a lead.

makes wrestling actually exciting at the end of the match.
I agree. Everyone complains that stalling isn't called enough in folk. IMHO free gets it right, you have to wrestle right up to the end of the match, not just run away. There are several things I don't like about free but I can say the same about folk. Neither is perfect but the wrestling is still awesome.

Freestyle refs will bang you for a C + 1 really quickly if you start running away.

The best thing you can in Kasak’s situation is dive in on a leg and hold on for dear life. You aren’t “fleeing the hold”, as you’ve literally initiated the action.

Reactions: vhsalum
I agree. Everyone complains that stalling isn't called enough in folk. IMHO free gets it right, you have to wrestle right up to the end of the match, not just run away. There are several things I don't like about free but I can say the same about folk. Neither is perfect but the wrestling is still awesome.

Freestyle refs will bang you for a C + 1 really quickly if you start running away.

Now you guys are making me doubt my memory. Seems like I’ve seen lots of examples of wrestlers in FS backpedaling to run out the last 10-15 seconds of the match. Am I misremembering?

Reactions: TILTER88
I think USA still wins but thoughts if Russia was there. You have to think some things would change. Could we see a FLO USA vs Russia match! Willie Smalls let’s get this on the agenda

I think USA still wins but thoughts if Russia was there. You have to think some things would change. Could we see a FLO USA vs Russia match! Willie Smalls let’s get this on the agenda
Not sure usa is flo or flo is USA.

I do know willie and flo probably aren't putting something on together.

That said since I didn't win the mega millions neither am I helping with this effort.

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT