ADVERTISEMENT

C/S/S filed their responses in PA Superior Court ...

I am amazed some of you have had the runs ins you have had. Mike is as recognize able as anyone involved etc and had one incident where someone tried to give him shit on a game day in wegmans In 2012. Obviously he has a lot f lasting affects but confrontation simply is not an issue in the least in fact mostly quite the opposite.
I just find it interesting.

I am amazed some of you have had the runs ins you have had. Mike is as recognize able as anyone involved etc and had one incident where someone tried to give him shit on a game day in wegmans In 2012. Obviously he has a lot f lasting affects but confrontation simply is not an issue in the least in fact mostly quite the opposite.
I have worn my PSU hats and shirts everywhere I have been from Pennsylvania to Florida. I have never heard a disparaging remark! Those of you who have experienced this need to realize this is a very small minority of people who shouldn't be acknowledged any where including message boards!

Reactions: jjsocrates

Good to hear as I don't think anyone needs an earful over this from strangers (and especially when just a fan and not involved in any way). I do think those in Old Main/ State College etc live in a bubble and don't understand what happens to alumni around the country. Maybe they'd understand the "resistance" a little better if they left protected Centre County.

Reactions: kgilbert78
As an "outsider" I would never say something untoward to a PSU fan because they have nothing to do with the scandal and they (you) have every right to be proud of your school and team.

I have my opinion on JVP and the others and have read a lot of the documents but that has nothing to do IMO with any fans. I guess being raised as I was I don't walk up to strangers and confront them negatively about that kind of stuff.

Sorry to hear that you would get crap from others like that.

As an "outsider" I would never say something untoward to a PSU fan because they have nothing to do with the scandal and they (you) have every right to be proud of your school and team.

I have my opinion on JVP and the others and have read a lot of the documents but that has nothing to do IMO with any fans. I guess being raised as I was I don't walk up to strangers and confront them negatively about that kind of stuff.

Sorry to hear that you would get crap from others like that.

oddly enough, most of what you have read which reflects negatively on Paterno is an out and out fabrication, created by some powerful people who had an axe to grind with Joe.

Joe was really a small player in all this, he just got the most stink because of crappy people who wanted to tear him down. In fact, the ultimate irony is that people absolutely nitpick and kill Joe on statements he made that more than likely allowed the state to move forward with their prosecution of Sandusky.

Reactions: jjsocrates
I'm glad that you mentioned the people who are indirectly harmed by this case. Here's a personal example. My parents spend the winters in the south. They are both in their late 70's and are lifelong State College residents. They were standing in a line at a restaurant. Dad had a Penn State hat on and was accosted by some indignant lady who went off on the University, Joe and the people of Central Pennsylvania. Now, I know you have to let this roll off your back but really?...going off on an elderly man? The result is my parents don't wear any PSU gear anymore.

This is just one example. There have to be countless examples like this. THIS is what pisses me off to no end! The hubris, the selfishness...just makes me incredibly angry.

When the truth comes out and it will, I would consider public stoning's of the culprits.

oddly enough, most of what you have read which reflects negatively on Paterno is an out and out fabrication, created by some powerful people who had an axe to grind with Joe.

Joe was really a small player in all this, he just got the most stink because of crappy people who wanted to tear him down. In fact, the ultimate irony is that people absolutely nitpick and kill Joe on statements he made that more than likely allowed the state to move forward with their prosecution of Sandusky.

Well, I think it's a mistake to think that anyone who doesn't share your opinion of Joe has not read a lot of the documents and does not understand the scandal. A lot of what I have read like GJ testimony, trial testimony etc was neither pro nor anti Joe. I have read much more than the just the media reports and as I said have my opinion.

Frankly I don't buy all the "they were all out to get Joe" ideas but I know I am on a PSU website so I don't argue about it. I may from time to time ask questions and other than that stay fairly low profile as an outsider should.

However, I don't blame the fans of PSU nor do I think they should be harassed in public. They had nothing to do with it and have every right to be proud of their school.

Well, I think it's a mistake to think that anyone who doesn't share your opinion of Joe has not read a lot of the documents and does not understand the scandal. A lot of what I have read like GJ testimony, trial testimony etc was neither pro nor anti Joe. I have read much more than the just the media reports and as I said have my opinion.

Frankly I don't buy all the "they were all out to get Joe" ideas but I know I am on a PSU website so I don't argue about it. I may from time to time ask questions and other than that stay fairly low profile as an outsider should.

However, I don't blame the fans of PSU nor do I think they should be harassed in public. They had nothing to do with it and have every right to be proud of their school.

I'm not sure there's anything beyond a transcript of Joe's GJ testimony to clarify how anyone can form an opinion of Joe in regards to Sandusky. And you'd have to acknowledge a lot of how you read that testimony is based on how it has been "described" in the media.

one thing you should probably understand about the "they were all out to get Joe" narrative is that it really started in 2004. Joe felt he had no supporters on the BoT back then. And there were several powerful people (Surma, Peetz, Frazier) who had very powerful motives to throw Joe to the wolves. But what I was saying is that most of what you read that reflects negatively on Joe does originate from those people, and their allies.

I'll give a good example. A lot of people put a lot of stock in Vicky Triponey. "The woman who stood up to Joe Paterno!!" great story except it was complete BS. They disagreed on how football players should be punished by the school. Guess what? No one ever mentions the school did an audit after Triponey was fired and found that their best practices and policies were in line with what Paterno wanted. No one ever mentions Triponey was reviled at UConn when she was VP of student affairs, or that she was widely reviled by many student organizations when she was at Penn State. Joe wasn't the only person she rubbed the wrong way.

Let's also mention that in the 61 years Joe was at Penn State, as a coach, educator, philanthropist, and de facto spokesperson for the University, only 2 faculty members/administrators have emerged to say anything negative about him. Again, widely doesn't get reported.

If you have an opinion based on some solid facts and logic, I don't think you would get too slammed here for expressing it. you might get challenged on it, and I guarantee I've read a lot more than you on the Sandusky scandal (I honestly wish I hadn't. too many late nights wasted pouring over trial testimony, Ziggy rants, Blehar reports, Freeh nonsense) . . . I am confident there is nothing out there that denigrates Joe's legacy and PLENTY that supports the narrative that he was not at fault for what happened.

on a final note, I can same much of the same for Curley, Spanier, and Schultz. I've seen nothing remotely credible to indicate they were fully aware McQueary was credibly telling them Sandusky has molested a young boy. And they, for the most part, have yet to tell their side of the story. I will tell you this, I know for a FACT they have proof of their innocence. and a lot exculpatory information was magically excluded from the Freeh Report.

Reactions: WeR0206
I've had it come up 3 times in separate professional situations. Personal stuff has been more benign. 2 of the 3 professional situations were initiated appropriately (a business dinner in Chicago and a business dinner in Cleveland). Both situations were with people who had been around the block a little bit. The 3rd surprised me as it was a more formal meeting during normal business hours. The person asked what I thought. I gave a general answer. Then he leaned into the table, stared me down and said, "Well, don't you think somebody knew and should have done something?!" Wow. No excuse for the last one. These conversations were about a 9 months after it all broke.

Last edited:
Reactions: simons96
I've had it come up 3 times in separate professional situations. Personal stuff has been more benign. 2 of the 3 professional situations were initiated appropriately (a business dinner in Chicago and a business dinner in Cleveland). Both situations were with people who had been around the block a little bit. The 3rd surprised me as it was a more formal meeting during normal business hours. The person asked what I thought. I gave a general answer. Then he leaned into the table, stared me down and said, "Well, don't you think somebody knew and should have done something?!" Wow. No excuse for the last one. These conversations were about a 9 months after it all broke.

Had it come up once in a job interview, which was so ridiculous I almost laughed at the guy. I ended up getting the job, but it was a horrible place to work and I didn't stay much more than a year.

Had it come up today (out of the blue) at a kids birthday party.

I have never had a problem wearing PSU gear. If a conversation comes up more than not people agree that Joe/football was scapegoated. Many actually are more pissed than me about the situation...which says a lot

I have never had a problem wearing PSU gear. If a conversation comes up more than not people agree that Joe/football was scapegoated. Many actually are more pissed than me about the situation...which says a lot

that has been my experience here in Texas as well

My own cousin (a Terps fan) just last week at a family funeral pulled out the pedophile card. He was trying to arrange a get together for the Maryland game and my mom said she wasn't sure she liked the Maryland football team because of their lack of sportsmanship. His response was "well we don't like child molesters".

When does your cousin get out of the hospital?

Isn't it so CURIOUS why there is so much secrecy and sealed proceedings surrounding these cases, which aren't exactly the most serious of crimes here. Failure to Report charges? That take 3 1/2 years and proceedings that are surrounded by less transparency and more secrecy than most trials of Al Qaeda terrorists at Guantanamo...

LOL...Meanwhile, Louis Freeh's traffic accident was nicely covered up as if nothing happened at all. And talk about secrecy surrounding THAT incident.

My jeep has full PSU decal on tire cover and back tailgate...I run around our beach community in a 6 seat golf cart painted Blue and White with a PSU flag flying from the back... And for all Lobster bakes , Beach parties etc held at our association has my Penn State tailgate tent/ canopy on full display.

I actually " welcome" any comments as it gives me chance to embarrass those who are less educated.

It's up to us to march on...

I think it's perfectly normal to question why this is going on 4 years now. It doesn't make you a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, to simply wonder why something this insignificant in the grand scale of crime, has taken so long, without anyone, I mean ANYONE in the media questioning it.

We can't be alone in this, can we?

Its great to hear you've escaped the nonsense down there but lets not forget it was the Texas fans who had someone dress up as a 'pedobear' and go to the psu bowl game in Houston with a sign that said something like 'don't tell anyone'......which the television media at the game made sure was front and center on tv several times during the game. You may have escaped the comments- but they are in Texas too.

Its great to hear you've escaped the nonsense down there but lets not forget it was the Texas fans who had someone dress up as a 'pedobear' and go to the psu bowl game in Houston with a sign that said something like 'don't tell anyone'......which the television media at the game made sure was front and center on tv several times during the game. You may have escaped the comments- but they are in Texas too.

well yeah I meant Dallas. Houston is really part of the deep ignorant South we just tend to ignore. I was there, a few drunk ignorant Houston fans but I tend not to pay them any heed. I spoke with the organizers of the Ticket City Bowl a week before the game and they were nothing but class.

ADVERTISEMENT