C.J Stroud gets starting nod for OSU over McCord

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Yahoo Sports

Ohio State names C.J. Stroud starting quarterback for Week 1​

Sam Cooper
Sam Cooper

Sat, August 21, 2021, 10:09 AM·2 min read

Ohio State has identified its starting quarterback.
Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day announced Saturday that redshirt freshman C.J. Stroud will get the start in Week 1 against Minnesota. Day said earlier in the week that Stroud had started to separate himself during preseason practice.

“I thought over the body of work between the spring and through preseason, he separated himself with his decision-making, his leadership skills and his accuracy,” Day said Saturday.

After Justin Fields left Ohio State for the NFL, Stroud competed with Jack Miller and Kyle McCord for the starting job. Stroud and Miller both arrived at OSU in the class of 2020 while McCord is a true freshman who enrolled early to participate in spring practice. All three were rated as four-star recruits by Rivals.com with Stroud at No. 51 overall in 2020 and McCord at No. 35 overall in 2021.
The Buckeyes also recently added Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2022. Ewers bypassed his senior season of high school and joined the team earlier this week.
FILE - Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud runs through a drill during an NCAA college football practice in Columbus, Ohio, in this Monday, April 5, 2021, file photo. Third-year Ohio State coach Ryan Day opens a preseason camp for the first time without a good idea of who will be the starting quarterback. (AP Photo/Paul Vernon, File)

C.J. Stroud has been named the starting quarterback at Ohio State entering the 2021 season. (AP Photo/Paul Vernon, File)
Stroud, a native of Rancho Cucamonga, California, played in three games last year and most notably had a 48-yard touchdown run against Michigan State. Stroud threw for 185 yards and two touchdowns in OSU’s spring game.
The Buckeyes, ranked No. 4 in the preseason AP Top 25, open with a road game on Thursday, Sept. 2, against Minnesota. From there, OSU hosts No. 11 Oregon the following Saturday in one of the biggest non-conference games of the season.
Ohio State reached the College Football Playoff last season and knocked off Clemson 49-28 in the semifinals. However, OSU lost to Alabama 52-24 in the national championship game.

Yahoo Sports

Sam Cooper
Sam Cooper

Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day announced Saturday that redshirt freshman C.J. Stroud will get the start in Week 1 against Minnesota. Day said earlier in the week that Stroud had started to separate himself during preseason practice.

“I thought over the body of work between the spring and through preseason, he separated himself with his decision-making, his leadership skills and his accuracy,” Day said Saturday.

After Justin Fields left Ohio State for the NFL, Stroud competed with Jack Miller and Kyle McCord for the starting job. Stroud and Miller both arrived at OSU in the class of 2020 while McCord is a true freshman who enrolled early to participate in spring practice. All three were rated as four-star recruits by Rivals.com with Stroud at No. 51 overall in 2020 and McCord at No. 35 overall in 2021.
The Buckeyes also recently added Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2022. Ewers bypassed his senior season of high school and joined the team earlier this week.
FILE - Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud runs through a drill during an NCAA college football practice in Columbus, Ohio, in this Monday, April 5, 2021, file photo. Third-year Ohio State coach Ryan Day opens a preseason camp for the first time without a good idea of who will be the starting quarterback. (AP Photo/Paul Vernon, File)

C.J. Stroud has been named the starting quarterback at Ohio State entering the 2021 season. (AP Photo/Paul Vernon, File)
Stroud, a native of Rancho Cucamonga, California, played in three games last year and most notably had a 48-yard touchdown run against Michigan State. Stroud threw for 185 yards and two touchdowns in OSU’s spring game.
The Buckeyes, ranked No. 4 in the preseason AP Top 25, open with a road game on Thursday, Sept. 2, against Minnesota. From there, OSU hosts No. 11 Oregon the following Saturday in one of the biggest non-conference games of the season.
Ohio State reached the College Football Playoff last season and knocked off Clemson 49-28 in the semifinals. However, OSU lost to Alabama 52-24 in the national championship game.
Who goes portal first, Miller or McCord?

Yahoo Sports

Sam Cooper
Sam Cooper

I live in Columbus and was going to post this when the news broke locally two days ago. As far as McCord he should have went somewhere else barring a complete collapse by Stroud or injury he will not see the field this year. The local news has already anointed Quinn Ewers the next starter.

I wouldn't be so gleeful about Mccord hitting the portal. If he does transfer he likely ends up somewhere like Rutgers and makes their situation significantly better. Hopefully Day plays the family like a fiddle and keeps him standing on the sideline with a clipboard for a few seasons.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I live in Columbus and was going to post this when the news broke locally two days ago. As far as McCord he should have went somewhere else barring a complete collapse by Stroud or injury he will not see the field this year. The local news has already anointed Quinn Ewers the next starter.
So when did the local news start coaching the Buckeyes?

Anyone know if Julian Fleming will start this year?

I've not seen his name mentioned very much through fall camp, but the majority of the focus has been on the freshman WRs and the freshman DL (beyond the obvious QB battle).

Unless something changes, he's likely still Olave's backup.

Anyone know if Julian Fleming will start this year?
Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson are probably the best WR duo in the country. They moved Wilson out of the slot to make room for sophomore Jackson-Smith Njigba.

The next WR you hear the most about is Marvin Harrison Jr. And another freshmen Emeka Egbuka.

Fleming has had nagging injuries but apparently is making strides.

WR is our deepest position.

Stroud and Miller have both been at OSU a year longer than McCord. Word is he pushed Stroud and passed Miller. So the conventional wisdom is that if someone leaves, it would be Miller.

Fleming played all of last year with a torn labrum (he tore it in high school) and had to wear a bulky brace to limit his arm's movement. He had surgery to repair the tear in the off season and has looked very good in camp. He'll be OSU's #4 receiver and is going to see a lot of playing time.

As for McCord, he will likely be Stroud's backup this year ahead of Miller. Ewers came in way too late to be a factor. He missed all of summer conditioning and the first week of training camp. He's also sitting out again for a week with a minor injury or illness (it wasn't disclosed which).

He won't get any meaningful snaps this season.
Fleming played all of last year with a torn labrum (he tore it in high school) and had to wear a bulky brace to limit his arm's movement. He had surgery to repair the tear in the off season and has looked very good in camp. He'll be OSU's #4 receiver and is going to see a lot of playing time.

As for McCord, he will likely be Stroud's backup this year ahead of Miller. Ewers came in way too late to be a factor. He missed all of summer conditioning and the first week of training camp. He's also sitting out again for a week with a minor injury or illness (it wasn't disclosed which).
What in the heck is going on? We’re around 16 or 17 posts in, and a few hours since this thread was started. And the 24/7/365 all message board monitoring system to respond to posts about the Buckeyes just noticed this!

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
What in the heck is going on? We’re around 16 or 17 posts in, and a few hours since this thread was started. And the 24/7/365 all message board monitoring system to respond to posts about the Buckeyes just noticed this!
I recently released a low megaton nuke over Columbus airspace - resulting in an EMP that disabled most Bucknut electronics. A few who protected their assets with Faraday cages appear to be up and running

I check this board about once every week or two and was looking for info on PSU depth charts, injuries, etc. I saw the questions asked about Fleming and McCord and answered them thinking that would be the nice thing to do. I'll just look and leave the next time.

I don't think he starts but should see significant playing time the suckeyes are crazy deep at WR

Ryan Stano
Ryan is an Indianapolis area native and a life-long Colts fan. He is a graduate from The Ohio State University and is a very passionate sports fan.
Ohio State Buckeyes logoEditor
twitter on the offensive side of the ball. Here’s how I see it breaking down.

QB: C.J. Stroud, Kyle McCord

RB: Master Teague, TreyVeon Henderson

WR: Chris Olave, Jaxon-Smith Njigba

TE: Jeremy Ruckert

RT: Nicholas Petit-Frere

RG: Paris Johnson Jr.

C: Harry Miller

LG: Thayer Munford

LT: Dawand Jones

WR: Garrett Wilson, Julian Fleming"

"This is how I think the offense breaks down before game one. As you can see, it’s quite a shake-up from a year ago, especially on the offensive line. This is the line we have seen rolled out in practice so far. It seems like they are trying to put the five best linemen out there at once.

Munford moving to guard is perhaps the most surprising part of this new development. He is one of the top-rated tackles in the country coming back. To have him want JOnes to swing out to tackle is the biggest surprise of camp so far.

While I do think Henderson is the better running back, I don’t think he’ll start week one. Teague is the back with the most experience on the team. He will likely start the season as the top guy but will very soon get passed up by Henderson. Henderson will have more carries than him this year.

@NittPicker

Stroud has been the guy at quarterback all Spring and it has continued in the Fall. McCord has made it close, but Stroud makes the most sense. It’s easier to replace Stroud next year with Quinn Ewers than it would McCord.

With that taken care of, we take a look at the defensive side of the ball."

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
I check this board about once every week or two and was looking for info on PSU depth charts, injuries, etc. I saw the questions asked about Fleming and McCord and answered them thinking that would be the nice thing to do. I'll just look and leave the next time.
Appreciate the updates. Pay no attention to the posters who like to cause friction when opposing fans post here. Every board has them.

Ryan Stano
Ryan is an Indianapolis area native and a life-long Colts fan. He is a graduate from The Ohio State University and is a very passionate sports fan.
Ohio State Buckeyes logoEditor
twitter on the offensive side of the ball. Here’s how I see it breaking down.

QB: C.J. Stroud, Kyle McCord

RB: Master Teague, TreyVeon Henderson

WR: Chris Olave, Jaxon-Smith Njigba

TE: Jeremy Ruckert

RT: Nicholas Petit-Frere

RG: Paris Johnson Jr.

C: Harry Miller

LG: Thayer Munford

LT: Dawand Jones

WR: Garrett Wilson, Julian Fleming"

"This is how I think the offense breaks down before game one. As you can see, it’s quite a shake-up from a year ago, especially on the offensive line. This is the line we have seen rolled out in practice so far. It seems like they are trying to put the five best linemen out there at once.

Munford moving to guard is perhaps the most surprising part of this new development. He is one of the top-rated tackles in the country coming back. To have him want JOnes to swing out to tackle is the biggest surprise of camp so far.

While I do think Henderson is the better running back, I don’t think he’ll start week one. Teague is the back with the most experience on the team. He will likely start the season as the top guy but will very soon get passed up by Henderson. Henderson will have more carries than him this year.

@NittPicker

Stroud has been the guy at quarterback all Spring and it has continued in the Fall. McCord has made it close, but Stroud makes the most sense. It’s easier to replace Stroud next year with Quinn Ewers than it would McCord.

With that taken care of, we take a look at the defensive side of the ball."
That is a good breakdown. Their OL has some big time talent. They just keep adding OLs that are often ready to play in their first year. That said, I believe PSU's OL will make major strides this year and will perform much better than the previous 4 years. I think coach T was a great pick up.

Last edited:

Love the bucks update. PSU aspires to be where O$U is and needs to get to their level. The bar is high. Need to stay in the loop on the NFL lite franchise in Columbus.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not trying to sound like a di€k, but why should I/we give 2 craps about OSU?

You can’t spell C_CK_ _CKER without OSU!

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT