ADVERTISEMENT

by the way, Norm Chow was fired at Hawaii yesterday

I think that he is a good guy and a good coach. I think at his age that it is unlikely that he will coach again. He is 69 years old. If he does, I think that it would be as an OC for a non-P5 team. He hasn't been a great HC unfortunately and his best years as an OC are quite a while ago.

You never know though, it will be an interesting off-season for coaching positions.

Some CFB pundits used to question why Norm Chow was such a highly regarded assistant but was never offered a head coaching job (until Hawai'i), implying that Chow's Chinese-Hawaiian ancestry was a factor. The knock on Chow was that he wasn't a dynamic personality, but a very good tactician. Hawai'i is a tough place to coach given aforementioned travel and recruiting challenges, but maybe Chow is just one of those guys who are great assistant coaches but not good head coaches. At age 69, perhaps his long and accomplished football career is done.

btw, Hawaii should honestly call Brady Hoke. I think he be a good hire for them. Not sure he would stay there long term, but he wins 7 games there it would be an amazing feat. He has proven to be able to talk to kids in the recruiting part.

Didn't Hawaii come out and say they wouldn't play Penn State (when OB and others were talking about setting up a 'destination' game for the players in lieu of a bowl game) after the scandal broke? Screw 'em.

Reactions: chrisrn1965
Didn't Hawaii come out and say they wouldn't play Penn State (when OB and others were talking about setting up a 'destination' game for the players in lieu of a bowl game) after the scandal broke? Screw 'em.
Midnighter you are correct. F him. He piled on like many others. He specifically said they would not play us during our sanctions. How stupid. Imagine the exposure for their program and the tourist revenue for Honolulu from all the PSU fans that would travel to the game. I think that after overtures to Hawaii were rebuffed OB worked with O'Leary to set up Ireland.

Midnighter you are correct. F him. He piled on like many others. He specifically said they would not play us during our sanctions. How stupid. Imagine the exposure for their program and the tourist revenue for Honolulu from all the PSU fans that would travel to the game. I think that after overtures to Hawaii were rebuffed OB worked with O'Leary to set up Ireland.

Right, because Hawaii needs that one game against PSU to really get tourist revenue.

Right, because Hawaii needs that one game against PSU to really get tourist revenue.
Do you remember the impact that PSU fans traveling to Dublin had? It is not like I said that Honolulu tourism economy would collapse without a PSU game but it certainly would have been an additional boost. Tourism offices are always looking for ways to promote their destination and bring in additional visitors.

Do you remember the impact that PSU fans traveling to Dublin had? It is not like I said that Honolulu tourism economy would collapse without a PSU game but it certainly would have been an additional boost. Tourism offices are always looking for ways to promote their destination and bring in additional visitors.

Yup. And, it would have been a nice thing to do for players who had nothing to do with what happened. Certainly, Hawaii doesn't need help attracting tourists. But, they do need help keeping their football team afloat.

A few thoughts: 1. Norm Chow did say some pathetic things about our program when questioned about a Penn State game. "We don't play teams under sanctions" (He forgot or perhaps did not know of an earlier Alabama game played against a team under sanctions)
2. Local ESPN Josh Pacheco spewed vitriol against Penn State and Joe Paterno (not the brightest bulb in the pack - got his material from the mother station I'm sure) 3. This year UH Board member said some unfortunate things about not playing FCS or FBS (D-1) schedule. Led to difficulty recruiting and don't remember if they lost anyone. Retracted statement within two weeks. 3. Facilities are substandard and they don't have funds (or donors to improve them significantly). 4. They play at an outdated Aloha Stadium (looks like a Pitt game at Heinz Stadium- empty yellow seats) 5. Keeping enough quality players in Hawaii difficult because the football stage is too small (Mariota- Oregon; Tao- ND, etc). 6. Even my UH friends golf and don't go to games even though you can get good seats for less than $40. 7. Finally, don't know if he'll do it again but state favorite June Jones has been back in the Islands since August. He is a member of Waialae CC and is on the Islands frequently in the off season when he was at SMU. Wouldn't answer the question when I asked if he'd consider coaching UH again. Didn't expect him to.

Agreed screw him the turd.

ADVERTISEMENT