ADVERTISEMENT

Buying a new desktop computer question. iMac

republion

Mar 24, 2009
So I've been waiting for Costco to discount their 27" iMac computer. Well, that sale starts today. Along with their normal $50 below everyone else, they have it for an additional $100 off. I went to pull the trigger today, and noticed this particular computer only has 256GB SSD storage. My current iMac from 2009 that I'm upgrading has more storage than that. To get more customizable storage, you need to go to the next model up on the iMac, which Costco doesn't carry. Between all the music, photos, and videos on my computer, I need at least 1TB of storage.

My question is- what gives? Why such limited storage on these newer machines? Are they trying to move everything to the cloud? I don't like having my personal details like photos out on the cloud. What are my options, or do I need to simply start embracing a more cloudy outlook?

COSTCO iMAC COMPUTER- CLICK HERE

So I've been waiting for Costco to discount their 27" iMac computer. Well, that sale starts today. Along with their normal $50 below everyone else, they have it for an additional $100 off. I went to pull the trigger today, and noticed this particular computer only has 256GB SSD storage. My current iMac from 2009 that I'm upgrading has more storage than that. To get more customizable storage, you need to go to the next model up on the iMac, which Costco doesn't carry. Between all the music, photos, and videos on my computer, I need at least 1TB of storage.

My question is- what gives? Why such limited storage on these newer machines? Are they trying to move everything to the cloud? I don't like having my personal details like photos out on the cloud. What are my options, or do I need to simply start embracing a more cloudy outlook?

yes they are trying to push everything to the cloud. I think but I am not sure, a 256gb SSD stores more than the none SSD drives
you can add an external drive very easily. They are cheap, and work very well. So you just put all your pics etc to the external drive.

Reactions: Obliviax
yes they are trying to push everything to the cloud. I think but I am not sure, a 256gb SSD stores more than the none SSD drives
you can add an external drive very easily. They are cheap, and work very well. So you just put all your pics etc to the external drive.
I have no problem getting an external drive, I just want my apps to work seamlessly when I try to access them. I guess I would have to point certain apps to the external drive as their default?

Do you need 1TB of storage on your desktop? Just set up a network drive.

LdN

Do you need 1TB of storage on your desktop? Just set up a network drive.

LdN
Network drive? Is that an external hard drive?

Yes, I need a lot of storage because I’ve always bought new computers that had more storage than the previous. That’s how it works, no? Lol.

They (Apple) do seem to like their cloud, I'm not a fan and I have to use it everyday. Their stupid cloud and fonts never seems to work with the "typekit".:mad:
I use an external to house all my photos and my backups are flash drives.

Reactions: republion
Network drive? Is that an external hard drive?

Yes, I need a lot of storage because I’ve always bought new computers that had more storage than the previous. That’s how it works, no? Lol.

Yes. It is like 100 bucks. You connect it to your router and have access to it as a drive from your imac.

I am not an apple person but it should be seamless.

Yes. It is like 100 bucks. You connect it to your router and have access to it as a drive from your imac.

I am not an apple person but it should be seamless.

Just one other note. A ssd is light speed and a traditional drive is the car that the Flintstones drove.

Do not get hung up on space. Move all photos etc to external. 256gb is way more than you should need for any software you use.

Reactions: cment and republion
Just one other note. A ssd is light speed and a traditional drive is the car that the Flintstones drove.

Do not get hung up on space. Move all photos etc to external. 256gb is way more than you should need for any software you use.
Thanks. Looks like I'll pull the trigger.

Since we have gone thru so many computers over the years, I try not to store anything on the computer's harddrives any more. I have a Seagate NAS hooked up to my home network. It is like your own personal cloud that you can get to while outside of your home if you ever wanted to do that. Has a 1TB drive on it. I back that up and then back it up again just in case. I have had external harddrives die on me which is why I have so many backups.

I find that suppliers of computer reduce harddrive and processors to get price points lower. I would run out thru 256 GB pretty quickly based on that I am computer nerd in real life and the tools I use take up a lot of hard drive. If the tools(software like Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc) you use on you current computer don't take up that much space and you are going to move your files to external harddrive then 256 GB may be fine for you.

Reactions: psu1969a and BBrown
You had top of line in 2009.

The one on sale is the bottom model.

I looked into the same thing. Check the top of the line. Mega storage mega expensive

storage, unless you need it for some specific business use, is not a big consideration. As LdN said, you can get a network drive and set that up for ~ $100, more for more storage.

I personally like the cloud. It is backed up and accessible from all of my devices at any time (as long as I can connect via 4G, 5G or Wifi). It is about $10/month for 2T bytes.

Apple also just released "Apple One". If you use apple TV, music, gaming and cloud it may be worth a look:

• Individual plan: $14.95 (£14.95, AU$19.95) a month for four services for one person: Apple Music, Apple TV Plus, Apple Arcade and iCloud (50 gigabytes of storage)
  • Family plan: $19.95 (£19.95, AU$25.95) for four services for six family members: Apple Music, Apple TV Plus, Apple Arcade and iCloud (200GB of storage)
  • Premier plan: $29.95 (£29.95, AU$39.95) for six services for six family members: Apple Music, Apple TV Plus, Apple Arcade, iCloud (2 terabytes of storage), Apple News Plus and Apple Fitness Plus (in the 100 countries and regions where they are available)

PSU alumni association offers free unlimited Google drive/cloud storage to its membership

RAM is probably more important than storage in most cases, unless you can't store to the cloud.

Do you still have a tube TV?

You cannot do much with 256 gb. It seems crazy at that price point. I am in the iphone ecosystem but on the computer side there is too much of a price premium for apple. You need 1 tb in the system nowadays for programs and storage space.

ADVERTISEMENT