ADVERTISEMENT

Busiello back to PSU?

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
As per FLO......Busiello is in the transfer portal and off the ASU roster. Major belief he will end up back at PSU. Interesting indeed. OK......back to Timeout :)_

*** UPDATE *** From FLO minutes ago

Adam has said he isn't making any announcement at this time as nothing has been decided.

Last edited:
I think this would be great. I see him filling out and being a 141-149. 149 and challenging Verk would be interesting. I wonder what happened for him to sour on ASU so quickly

If he does end up at Penn State he may end up competing for a spot at 141 next year which could result in some matches with Teasdale if Gavin is still wrestling at that point. That could be interesting.

If he does end up at Penn State he may end up competing for a spot at 141 next year which could result in some matches with Teasdale if Gavin is still wrestling at that point. That could be interesting.

But Nick Lee will be a senior next year. Are you expecting Lee to go up to 49?

Interesting development. Is he a better 41 or 49? He got housed by Aragona in FS at Beat the streets.

*** UPDATE *** from FLO minutes ago

Adam has said he isn't making any announcement at this time as nothing has been decided.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I think this ship has sailed for both sides. He is talented and very fun to watch but not the prospect he was as a frosh/soph. Likewise he is no longer a perfect fit weight wise. I haven't seen him in a while but he was too lean to compete at the highest levels in D1 without gaining 10-15# of muscle. Now another kid I would love to see change his commitment is Richard Figueroa, now you are talking.

Watching Adam wrestle his senior year....I saw too many instances of him getting trapped fully extended without being able to pull the leg in for points. It seemed much like the Gavin Hoffman Wrestle off…….got a leg.....couldn't bring it in and score. He is long for his weight...….needs to get better at finishing and turning. Could go either way in College.

Seems like Adam is battling between being a locked in starter for 4 years or going where his heart is..

Didn't he just go through this at ASU, though? If he left ASU because his heart was in another place (PSU) then it makes sense that it's going to be the same no matter where he goes unless it's PSU.

He can absolutely figure into things at PSU. He might not be a four year starter (or he could be) but I think he can definitely be a three year starter here. He has the talent.

He might not be a four year starter (or he could be) but I think he can definitely be a three year starter here. He has the talent.
Maybe.

2021: 141 Lee SR, 149 Verk JR
2022: 141 RBY JR or Bartlett FR, 149 Verk SR

If RBY shirts and Bartlett goes 133, then the path is clearer for that year, but less clear in subsequent years.

Then possibly add in Crookham (HS 2022) who looks like a 149 ... plus whoever else Cael pursues ...

It could work out but is hardly clear.

Maybe.

If RBY shirts and Bartlett goes 133, then the path is clearer for that year, but less clear in subsequent years.

Then possibly add in Crookham (HS 2022) who looks like a 149 ... plus whoever else Cael pursues ...

El Jefe, would Herrara-Rendon also be an option at 141 or 149 if he comes to PSU?

you may be in for a surprise

I think this ship has sailed for both sides. He is talented and very fun to watch but not the prospect he was as a frosh/soph. Likewise he is no longer a perfect fit weight wise. I haven't seen him in a while but he was too lean to compete at the highest levels in D1 without gaining 10-15# of muscle. Now another kid I would love to see change his commitment is Richard Figueroa, now you are talking.

Maybe.

That's certainly a possibility. I'm giving Adam the benefit of the doubt by being in the program for some time before those guys that he'll be the best option for the team and can beat out those guys. I've always thought he was an elite talent. You could be right in that maybe younger guys coming into the program would keep him out of the starting lineup.

That's certainly a possibility. I'm giving Adam the benefit of the doubt by being in the program for some time before those guys that he'll be the best option for the team and can beat out those guys. I've always thought he was an elite talent. You could be right in that maybe younger guys coming into the program would keep him out of the starting lineup.
My point was more about "he definitely can be a 3 yr starter." I'm good with the can be part, less convinced about the definitely part.

Future recruits may or may not block him. I wouldn't go as far as to say they would.

But just the guys already on the roster and committed (RBY, Bartlett, and Verk) will make it difficult for him to start 3 years. Not impossible, but difficult.

El Jefe, would Herrara-Rendon also be an option at 141 or 149 if he comes to PSU?
I would think so, assuming he comes to PSU and stays in that weight range.

(His future weight appears to be a total crapshoot right now -- have seen projected anywhere from 133 to 165. Definitely need patience with that.)

But: if that's his weight range, he might be less of a priority if Busiello comes.

That's me hypothesizing some. We already project having several logjams -- before possibly adding Facundo and the two with family ties (Carson Manville, Bennett Berge). I don't know how many more logjams Cael would want to add.

Also that 141-149 has a ton of guys in 2021-2022: Herrera, Van Ness, Crookham, Bouzakis, a few others. Getting Busiello would likely make Cael more selective

Reactions: Ja1339
My point was more about "he definitely can be a 3 yr starter." I'm good with the can be part, less convinced about the definitely part.

Future recruits may or may not block him. I wouldn't go as far as to say they would.

But just the guys already on the roster and committed (RBY, Bartlett, and Verk) will make it difficult for him to start 3 years. Not impossible, but difficult.

In the end I think this is always a great problem to have. You bring in as many blue chip guys as you can and you see who wins out. That way you know you're getting a stud in the lineup.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I hope Busiello does come back. I really enjoy his style. But I wouldn't bet on him unseating Verk at 149.

Reactions: tabenn
Geography is a thing, as important as $$'s to many. Heaven only knows how this specific situation plays out, but talking to lots of parents over the years, it's very important. I'd rank "wrestling for Cael" up there too :).

Reactions: matter7172
I'd pump the brakes on AHR. He lost a few matches this summer moving up 4 weight classes and was not dominate in his wins.

This is the big problem for freshman/sophomore phenoms. The body changes so much in highschool for every Spencer Lee that looks like a sure thing top 4 kids as a freshman, there are a half dozen that end up regressing and pull back into the field. Adam at least for now seems to be in the later category.

As a result I try to resist getting too excited by underclassmen in highschool. Flo rankings change a good bit over the 4 years and for every phenom that falls off new kids blossom and end up on the podium at Fargo somewhat by surprise and see their stock go up fast.

Even Diceman's spreadsheet (which is awesome by the way) shows huge changes as we see a class mature from Soph to Senior.

I was pretty jazzed when Adam committed so early and I thought he was the next big thing. I chalk up his 'regression' if we can call it that, mostly due to his body changing, getting taller without a commensurate gain in weight. As you get older there is no substitute for raw power and strength. You don't have to be a tOSU musclebound hurkurock but having great wrestling strength strength a la Zain, Nolf, Nickal is mandatory to be elite.

Adam has oodles of talent and if his body stops lengthening and he can put on some bulk I think he could be elite again. I would think 141-165 certainly are all in play for his future.

Last edited:
I'd pump the brakes on AHR. He lost a few matches this summer moving up 4 weight classes and was not dominate in his wins.
Certainly we should see how he adjusts to his new weight.

He's still the same guy who last year beat 2x world champ Kurt McHenry plus a number of nationally ranked wrestlers/D1 prospects. So he has earned some patience.

Does AHR want to come to PSU or is it just because he is from PA?

Certainly we should see how he adjusts to his new weight.

He's still the same guy who last year beat 2x world champ Kurt McHenry plus a number of nationally ranked wrestlers/D1 prospects. So he has earned some patience.

Admittedly I am not a recruiting expert I just look at results and watch matches on Flo. I was surprised by his results this summer. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the bigger kids, maybe he has a mono-like flu affliction, maybe it was summer and he didn't practice much or give a crap. He is wrestling in the Surge on Sunday so prove me wrong AHR.

https://www.papowerwrestling.com/the-surge-pre-seeds-and-entry-list-proveit/

Does AHR want to come to PSU or is it just because he is from PA?
To the best of my knowledge, he has not indicated interest in any schools.

But I wouldn't say the fan interest is because he's from PA -- rather he has had very good results against a lot of nationally ranked kids, and the weight and recruiting class rankings to match. Plus he seems like the kind of kid who would fit in.

Reactions: Ja1339
Admittedly I am not a recruiting expert I just look at results and watch matches on Flo. I was surprised by his results this summer. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the bigger kids, maybe he has a mono-like flu affliction, maybe it was summer and he didn't practice much or give a crap. He is wrestling in the Surge on Sunday so prove me wrong AHR.

https://www.papowerwrestling.com/the-surge-pre-seeds-and-entry-list-proveit/
We're not going to learn anything about him there unless he somehow loses. He's the only likely D1 starter at 132.

If he were to bump up to 138 and face returning state finalist Kenny Kiser, that would be more interesting.

Reactions: kevin310
I would think so, assuming he comes to PSU and stays in that weight range.

(His future weight appears to be a total crapshoot right now -- have seen projected anywhere from 133 to 165. Definitely need patience with that.)

But: if that's his weight range, he might be less of a priority if Busiello comes.

That's me hypothesizing some. We already project having several logjams -- before possibly adding Facundo and the two with family ties (Carson Manville, Bennett Berge). I don't know how many more logjams Cael would want to add.

Also that 141-149 has a ton of guys in 2021-2022: Herrera, Van Ness, Crookham, Bouzakis, a few others. Getting Busiello would likely make Cael more selective

And getting him....cheap...if it happens

I love his style, kinda reminds me of Nolf. But I think his body weight outpaced his strength. He would greatly benefit from a redshirt to work on his strength.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I wonder if I can get a RS. My body out paced everything once I turned 40. Time to take a RS from job and life to get back in shape.

All seriousness. If the kid has talent the body will eventually catch up and all will work out. You just never know when and how testosterone is going to change kids and their athletics. The kid that goes from 103 as a freshman to 132 sophmore and finishes at 220 has a much differnent path than the kid that goes 145-152 for 4 years. The 220 man child as a freshman or the 98 lb little boy.

Wish the kid and all kids the best as they navigate hormone hell.

ADVERTISEMENT