ADVERTISEMENT

Buh-Bye Franklin. No amount of "talking" will allow you hide behind

Peetz Pool Boy

Jun 11, 2014
this 3-9 season.

Your buyout is only $6 million, which is roughly equivalent to 2-3 more Jerry victims. This PSU administration has no qualms about spending money, even if it is to rid themselves of yet another of their boneheaded decisions.

As CEO of PSU Football Inc, you might want to start working on your "sacrificial lamb" list....the list of expendable coaches that will allow you buy some time and deflect attention from yourself.

In a gesture of goodwill, I have created a "first draft" for you. Consider the first three individuals as "low hanging fruit"

1. Herb Hand - self explanatory
2. Ricky Rahne - self explanatory
3. John Donovan - self explanatory
4. Dwight Galt - appears to be doing a good job, but S&C personnel always get blamed
5. Terry Smith - he's not one of your friends and he "knew Joe"
6. Brent Pry - still young and will land on his feet
7. Josh Gattis - still young and will land in his feet
8. Charles Huff - needs to be listed somewhere
9. Sean Spencer - close friends are always near the bottom of these lists
10. Bob Shoop - you fought to get him that raise and it wouldn't look good for you to admit to such a mistake

Other than yourself, did I miss anyone?

this 3-9 season.

Your buyout is only $6 million, which is roughly equivalent to 2-3 more Jerry victims. This PSU administration has no qualms about spending money, even if it is to rid themselves of yet another of their boneheaded decisions.

As CEO of PSU Football Inc, you might want to start working on your "sacrificial lamb" list....the list of expendable coaches that will allow you buy some time and deflect attention from yourself.

In a gesture of goodwill, I have created a "first draft" for you. Consider the first three individuals as "low hanging fruit"

4. Dwight Galt - appears to be doing a good job, but S&C personnel always get blamed
10. Bob Shoop - you fought to get him that raise and it wouldn't look good for you to admit to such a mistake

You brought a smile to my face with your post. I hope you have a great Labor Day

this 3-9 season.

This is what is called "TP" mode. Don't Indiana yourself again.:D

Ridiculous post. Franklin isn't going anywhere at the end of the season. I don't know whether he'll make staff changes at the end of the season, but that will be one issue on which to grade him at the end of the season. I'm as ticked as anyone about how we played Saturday, but it's one game. Let's play 11 or 12 more and see where we are.

There is zero chance of Franklin being let go at the end of the season for performance on the field. Zero

Do you really expect Barbour to spring the trap door? Never happen. She'll build some new facilities and hire more assistants because that's what she does.

Wait 'til the conclusions of her vaunted Strategic Plan are released. Got news for ya, Baby, unless the football team wins games, lots of them, you can wipe your ass with that Strategic Plan.

And what should we expect when and if it happens? Franklin was hired by Uncle Fester and the Rainbow Coalition. On the next go-round substitute Barbour for Fester and do you think a better choice will be made? Not likely.

There is zero chance of Franklin being let go at the end of the season for performance on the field. Zero

Tend to agree with that estimate. You'd need a combination of 10-11 performances similar to that of the Temple game and and an administration that was cognizant thereof.

Reactions: Ski
this 3-9 season.

PPB, 3-9? Who do you think you are? Michael Felli. You are being too emotional here. You of scientific mind? I'm aghast. You are reminding me of the many posters who claimed PSU would be winless after the Virginia loss in BOB's opener? Relax. Cheer up. PSU will be at least 5-7.

Last edited:
Tend to agree with that estimate. You'd need a combination of 10-11 performances similar to that of the Temple game and and an administration that was cognizant thereof.
Perhaps, but repeated live camera shots of a half-filled Beaver coupled with some really disgruntled SC merchants (many of whom are tight with the BOT and PSU Administration) can be effective "change agents". They were the first ones who wanted to throw Joe under the proverbial bus during the dark years.

PPB, 3-9? Who do you think you are? Michael Felli. You are being too emotional here. You of scientific mind? I'm aghast. You are reminding me of the many posters who claimed PSU would be winless after the Virginia loss in BOB's opener? Relax. Cheer up. PSU will be at least 5-6.
Wonderful.

PPB, 3-9? Who do you think you are? Michael Felli. You are being too emotional here. You of scientific mind? I'm aghast. You are reminding me of the many posters who claimed PSU would be winless after the Virginia loss in BOB's opener? Relax. Cheer up. PSU will be at least 5-6.
Buffalo, Army and one but not both of Indiana / Illinois.

Perhaps, but repeated live camera shots of a half-filled Beaver coupled with some really disgruntled SC merchants (many of whom are tight with the BOT and PSU Administration) can be effective "change agents". They were the first ones who wanted to throw Joe under the proverbial bus during the dark years.

And guess what it didn't work. Joe stayed through all that mess. It's not working this time either. nobody in their right mind is going to go to another staff after only 2 years. no freaking way that happens.

this 3-9 season.

Yes, you!

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
this 3-9 season.

Your forgot Haslett. He might be gone before next week so he doesn't get associated with this train wreck.

You have to give him 4-5 seasons. By that time all of his recruits will be on the team, when no players should be left over from previous regimes. This way it gives him ownership of coaching his guys his way. If the team is still producing the way it is now - then it should bye bye.

It's not happening. Period.

Your forgot Haslett. He might be gone before next week so he doesn't get associated with this train wreck.
Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot that Haslett is the "team consultant." Hope he has some solutions for a squad that just got blown out by Temple.

You have to give him 4-5 seasons. By that time all of his recruits will be on the team, when no players should be left over from previous regimes. This way it gives him ownership of coaching his guys his way. If the team is still producing the way it is now - then it should bye bye.
if they end up with a losing season and play more inept games like Saturday, Franklin does not get 5 years. Just not gunna happen. Losing season this year with more inept, dreary performances like Saturday and Franklin has next year only to prove himself and will need 8 wins to keep job.

Last edited:
Reactions: cop113
Franklin knows he is untouchable this year, and he will milk it by redshirting wherever he can. His strategy is creating an ultra-loaded team for one big run in 2017. Actually it's not a bad strategy coming out of sanctions.

The biggest problem was the "sanctions". Many top players would not come here whited caused us to take more "reaches". The limited number of ships did not allow for the recruiting of a bunch of OL. This was huge since only about 25% of them actually play as starters. We do not have one guy on the OL that would start expect for the sanctions. All are career backups. (maybe 1 is not). In short there was NO ROOM for error. In the past we had many 4-5 star failed OL. This is far worse.
We will have to wait at least two more years for much change.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Isn't he mostly still playing with OBRIENs recruits?
Pay attention. Bill O'Brien got hired less than a month before signing day in 2012. The class was already blown up. He salvaged what he could. The next year, those ridiculous sanctions held him to 15 recruits. Now, exactly how many of "O'Brien's recruits" are we talking about?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and bison13
Pay attention. Bill O'Brien got hired less than a month before signing day in 2012. The class was already blown up. He salvaged what he could. The next year, those ridiculous sanctions held him to 15 recruits. Now, exactly how many of "O'Brien's recruits" are we talking about?

You make a legitimate point. Even the 2014 class was a hybrid, most of them recruited by O'Brien and some by Franklin.

My case study of an outstanding coaching job was Bob Stoops winning a national championship at Oklahoma in 2000, his second year there. Took his lumps in '99 going 7-5, but went undefeated in 2000 with a team largely composed of freshmen and sophomores (only two starters were players he didn't recruit).

I'm certainly not expecting a replication of that feat. But if PSU is still in a lump taking phase because of personnel deficiencies created by the sanctions, why aren't more kids, particularly on the OL, recruited by Franklin getting more reps?

Frankly, from what I saw Saturday, there are more than a player personnel issues here.

You make a legitimate point. Even the 2014 class was a hybrid, most of them recruited by O'Brien and some by Franklin.

My case study of an outstanding coaching job was Bob Stoops winning a national championship at Oklahoma in 2000, his second year there. Took his lumps in '99 going 7-5, but went undefeated in 2000 with a team largely composed of freshmen and sophomores (only two starters were players he didn't recruit).

I'm certainly not expecting a replication of that feat. But if PSU is still in a lump taking phase because of personnel deficiencies created by the sanctions, why aren't more kids, particularly on the OL, recruited by Franklin getting more reps?

Frankly, from what I saw Saturday, there are more than a player personnel issues here.

Didn't many of FLO's 2013 Class leave before the 2014 season began? And how many of the OL currently on the roster were brought in by FLO who was responsible for recruiting for 2 full years (Jan 2012 - Jan 2014). I don't think a single scholarship OL on the current roster was brought in by FLO which is pretty mind-boggling given that he was responsible for recruiting for 2 full years and I don't care if he only had 15 Scholies to give per year - given that you need 5 OL, most teams dedicate at least 20% of their scholies to OL.

call Tom Jurich, he needs a new challenge. Papa Johns going to 80,000 and both hoops,baseball and football in top 25 with Pitino locked in for 10 years after national title in 2013. Desperate times require desperate measures. The Faithful can only take so much for so many years....that point is here.

Reactions: EPC FAN
JF may take over the play calling to ease the pressure on JD. Other than that these are OUR KIDS and these are OUR COACHES.....love em or leave um. Admittedly, this is a bad marriage of a poor pass protecting line and an NFL prototype qb. OB recruited Hack and couldn't lie to him and bolt fast enough. JF and CH are left to do the best they can. Round peg, square hole. Recently I read where OB should be sainted. I give him respect for holding things together. However, let's not forget there was real talent on that team. His second year it took a surprising Wisky win to finish 7-5.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Didn't many of FLO's 2013 Class leave before the 2014 season began? And how many of the OL currently on the roster were brought in by FLO who was responsible for recruiting for 2 full years (Jan 2012 - Jan 2014). I don't think a single scholarship OL on the current roster was brought in by FLO which is pretty mind-boggling given that he was responsible for recruiting for 2 full years and I don't care if he only had 15 Scholies to give per year - given that you need 5 OL, most teams dedicate at least 20% of their scholies to OL.

What time is it when Bushwood appears? Time for batting practice.

Let's deal with the 2013 class first since you bring it up first. In that class, the OL recruited by BO'B were Mahon (current starter), Nelson (current starter), and Tanner Hartman, who transferred to Liberty in 2/2014. Three out of 16 is close to 20%.

The 2012 class is a mixed bag, part Paterno, part BO'B. Paterno brought in Gaia, Dowrey, and Stanko who gave up football. O'Brien brought in Wendy Laurent.

2014 was also a mixed bag . O'Brien brought in Noah Beh and Chasz Wright. Franklin brought in Brosnan and Sorrell.

By my count, there are 15 recruited scholarship OL on the roster. Exclude Mangiro who is a Paterno holdover and Reihner and we have 13. O'Brien recruited five of those. or nearly 40%

Try chewing on a Tabriz next time. I hear it is less brain addling.

Wiscy was Top 10 on the road playing for a BCS playoff game and we beat their ass! The Wiscy coach post game comments basically were Obrien is an offensive genius and he got out coached badly! this offensive staff do the same??

to paraphrase arnold, if this team does not get better fast there won't be any recruits to field by year 5. the kids are watching and you can bet a lot of them are taking major league heat from their friends and everyone else. this is a train wreck right now and all i can hope is the staff stayed up all night into sunday, put something solid together, sold it to the kids, found a bunch of warriors, and they buy into it and execute it on saturday.

i want to give franklin the BOTD. he's been a wonderful recruiter and brings lots of enthusiasm to this program.. and yes, he's been handicapped. But you simply cannot ignore that this team is not all that different from the one that beat BC... this team looked completely unprepared.

So imo, they better fix this fast.

Reactions: Option Bob

to paraphrase arnold, if this team does not get better fast there won't be any recruits to field by year 5. the kids are watching and you can bet a lot of them are taking major league heat from their friends and everyone else. this is a train wreck right now and all i can hope is the staff stayed up all night into sunday, put something solid together, sold it to the kids, found a bunch of warriors, and they buy into it and execute it on saturday.

i want to give franklin the BOTD. he's been a wonderful recruiter and brings lots of enthusiasm to this program.. and yes, he's been handicapped. But you simply cannot ignore that this team is not all that different from the one that beat BC... this team looked completely unprepared.

So imo, they better fix this fast.

I think you're 'spot on' N&B4. Sadly, I think we've entered a Twilght Zone I never saw coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT