ADVERTISEMENT

BTW: Of all the people to "Talk Sense" regarding the "Final Four".... Gerry D :-)

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
Flipping through last night, and saw a few minutes of the BTN show w DiNardo, Howard Griffith and (IIRC) Dave Revsine….. that studio show.

Of all the media talking heads to actually speak some sense on that issue.... I would not have picked DiNardo :) . But he was spot on (and the only one of that breed who I have ever heard it from).

Talked about:

A) How the current system is a joke.
B) How it is not the "fault of the committee" or any of that jibberish…. but that
C) It is the SYSTEM that is fundamentally FUBAR and simply irredeemable (no matter which pack of monkeys one chooses to sit down in a committee room)

DiNardo was the fist talking head that I have seen (granted, I pretty much avoid most of that stuff - especially the ESPN idiots), but he was cogent and intelligent in laying out some common sense (rather than delve into the idiocy of "The committee got it right/not right.... Strength of schedule.... Good Wins.... Bad Losses.... Conferences" ..... etc etc etc …. all of the normal utterly pointless idiocy one sees from the ESPN types).

DiNardo just plainly laid out how their is no way to make an idiotic system - that requires that at least 1, if not 2 or 3, of the Conference Champions be excluded from playing for the (laughable) "championship". - work.

And that ANY attempt to create a "Playoff" (even if that "Playoff" is one that is purposed with crowing a "champion" from among the P5 teams) would simply have to account for all 5 conference champs..... and that, therefore, it needs to be at a minimum of 8 (the smallest "power of 2" that is greater than or equal to 5).
And all the rest is just noise to distract from the fundamental FUBAR.

Yeah for DiNardo! (Who'da thunk it?)

after the job Penn State got in 2016, you had to know the system was broken.

I agree the system is a mess, but what happens if Northwestern and Pitt win their games? Just because you are conference champs doesn’t mean you deserve a shot at the CFP - unless there are 16 teams in the playoff.

My suggestion would be to eliminate divisions within the conferences and require 9 conference games. Limit FCS games to one per year and only in the first month.

Sure, scheduling will be tough because you’d have to rotate through all conference teams and protect certain rivalries. But having a traditionally powerful East division is killing the B1G.

In reaility, expanding beyond 4 won’t stop someone from crying foul - the basketball tourney expanded beyond 64.

Reactions: Bob78
I agree the system is a mess, but what happens if Northwestern and Pitt win their games? Just because you are conference champs doesn’t mean you deserve a shot at the CFP - unless there are 16 teams in the playoff.

My suggestion would be to eliminate divisions within the conferences and require 9 conference games. Limit FCS games to one per year and only in the first month.

Sure, scheduling will be tough because you’d have to rotate through all conference teams and protect certain rivalries. But having a traditionally powerful East division is killing the B1G.

In reaility, expanding beyond 4 won’t stop someone from crying foul - the basketball tourney expanded beyond 64.
That’s where we disagree. Every team in every conference knows what they need to do to be conference champs. If Clemson lost to Pitt, Pitt won the conference Clemson is in. I’d rather reward that as it is equitable to all. That treats aconference champ game as an elimination. You lose, you are not national champ

Get rid of the "pre-season" cupcake games and play a solid 9-game schedule in conference.

First round of playoffs then becomes the Power 5 division winners against each other, i.e., the conference championship games. Three other games are played to account for the non-Power 5 teams that had good seasons, like ND vs. UCF. Everyone else can then play their cupcake games.

And now you have an 8-team playoff.

Upsets happen. Win your conference title. This takes out of play things like we have in BIG east division. PSU, OSU, UM MSU battle thru the season - but get to play the west champ for BIG title. Win and you’re in.

Takes away some of the cupcake scheduling that you see as well. Might as well play Citadel than a good P5 school since a single loss could potentially drop you out of contention.

I like 6 team format. Power 5 conference winner and one at large. Top 1&2 get byes. 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.

Reactions: JoeFi

but they didn't win because they were not good enough. so that point doesn't make any sense. if a Pitt backdoors it's way to the conference championship then what happens on Saturday happens, they get killed by a better team.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
It can’t be that absolute. The basketball tournament used to be that way, you could have gone through the regular season undefeated, but if you lost in the conference tournament, you were done. They fixed that by expanding the field and adding at-large teams. I’m all in favor for having the conference champs as automatic qualifiers, but only if there are at-large berths as well.

The trouble is non conference games don’t count for conference championship games in college .
In the nfl a non conference game does. College football has this screwed up system were some games don’t count for here , but they count for there. Psu beats Pitt, they’re in. They lose to Pitt but beat Michigan ( I’m talking 2016 of course ), they’re in.
So while we beat OSU close, we get clubbed by Michigan with another loss.

Ohio State would be in the "playoffs" if they didn't lose badly to a middle of the road team in the West division.

Reactions: mgkpsu
Ohio State would be in the "playoffs" if they didn't lose badly to a middle of the road team in the West division.
Ohio State would be in if their team hadn't been distracted by all the off the field BS before and during the season, and if they knew they had a coach they could trust

So much of the college game is how you prepare and your will to win. No doubt, Ohio State has the talent to rival anyone in the country... But if you watch any of the Buckeye's games this season, their focus was all over the place. The loss to Purdue was simply x's and o's, and a lack of motivation to play and win the game.

Reactions: 81b&w
Simple solution would be to require the conference championship to be ranked in the top 15 or something and if they are outside that like Pitt or northwestern if they won then that spot goes to an at large team with a preference for the highest ranked team In the conference that conference champ is ineligible so Ohio state would have still made it

Simple solution would be to require the conference championship to be ranked in the top 15 or something and if they are outside that like Pitt or northwestern if they won then that spot goes to an at large team with a preference for the highest ranked team In the conference that conference champ is ineligible so Ohio state would have still made it

Flipping through last night, and saw a few minutes of the BTN show w DiNardo, Howard Griffith and (IIRC) Dave Revsine….. that studio show.

Of all the media talking heads to actually speak some sense on that issue.... I would not have picked DiNardo :) . But he was spot on (and the only one of that breed who I have ever heard it from).

Talked about:

B) How it is not the "fault of the committee" or any of that jibberish…. but that
C) It is the SYSTEM that is fundamentally FUBAR and simply irredeemable (no matter which pack of monkeys one chooses to sit down in a committee room)

DiNardo was the fist talking head that I have seen (granted, I pretty much avoid most of that stuff - especially the ESPN idiots), but he was cogent and intelligent in laying out some common sense (rather than delve into the idiocy of "The committee got it right/not right.... Strength of schedule.... Good Wins.... Bad Losses.... Conferences" ..... etc etc etc …. all of the normal utterly pointless idiocy one sees from the ESPN types).

DiNardo just plainly laid out how their is no way to make an idiotic system - that requires that at least 1, if not 2 or 3, of the Conference Champions be excluded from playing for the (laughable) "championship". - work.

And that ANY attempt to create a "Playoff" (even if that "Playoff" is one that is purposed with crowing a "champion" from among the P5 teams) would simply have to account for all 5 conference champs..... and that, therefore, it needs to be at a minimum of 8 (the smallest "power of 2" that is greater than or equal to 5).

As plenty of people have already said, the current college "playoff system" is no more than a slight extension of the old BCS with a big touch of the bias human eye test...

Regardless, until something changes, the BIG keeps setting themselves up for failure when it comes to the playoffs. Do they really believe SOS means something? Alabama has had it right for years, they set there schedules up in a much more manageable fashion. Heck look at Washingtons schedule the year PSU won the BIG in 2016, it was a joke...

Reactions: BBrown
Rewarding a 4 or 5 loss team with a CFP slot is a little too rich for me. Northwestern and Pitt we’re both queens of the pig dance. Hardly deserving of taking a slot from Clemson or God-forbid, OSU if if not for Oklahoma.
Wild Card teams win the Super Bowl, so this argumentbhokds no water. It is the only true way to determine this thing in the field.

It is up to the conferences to structure their schedules so the two best teams make it to their championship game.

I saw it as well & Dinardo was really good laying out his case

he also called out the blatant bias towards the SEC.

Im wondering if Joel Klatt has gone off about it this week.... a few weeks back he was great in laying out the committees bias for the ACC & SEC in its rankings, basically setting up to protect ALabama & Clemson

Upsets happen. Win your conference title. This takes out of play things like we have in BIG east division. PSU, OSU, UM MSU battle thru the season - but get to play the west champ for BIG title. Win and you’re in.

Takes away some of the cupcake scheduling that you see as well. Might as well play Citadel than a good P5 school since a single loss could potentially drop you out of contention.

I like 6 team format. Power 5 conference winner and one at large. Top 1&2 get byes. 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.

8 vs. 6 means two more playoff games to watch. MORE FOOTBALL!!!

No byes - make it 8

Eight team playoff. 5 conference champions plus 3 at large. That allows for conference championship upsets (If Pitt would have defeated Clemson), UCF etc.
Its simple, all major conferences get their chance plus a few other teams that may be deserving of the opportunity.

Rewarding a 4 or 5 loss team with a CFP slot is a little too rich for me. Northwestern and Pitt we’re both queens of the pig dance. Hardly deserving of taking a slot from Clemson or God-forbid, OSU if if not for Oklahoma.

1) Who cares - it is a set rule
2) If a team would lose to Pitt/NW who is 8-4 chances are they won't win the title anyhow.
3) They would likely lose the 1st round anyway.

Let's assume this hypothetical - NW wins the Big10 at 9-4. they beat a top 5 OSU/MICH/PSU (all were close).

Lets seed the playoffs this way
1) Bama
2) Clemson
3) ND
4) OU
5) Georgia
6) Washington
7) UCF (best Np5 champ)
8) NW

All p5 conference champs are in. The one upset really didn't take anybodies spot

To win the title NW would have to win at Bama, then against UGA/OU, and then (likely) against Clemson/ND

If they were to pull that off (including beating a top ranked team in the CCG) they would have earned it.

Talked about:

Believe it or not, Wanny was very on target as well in their other studio show.

Wanny?
But.... did he need a translator?

Wanny AND DiNardo?

giphy.gif
Hard to believe, but true!

How on earth would Northwestern take a slot from OSU, if not for Oklahoma? OSU missed out this year because they got blown away by a 6-6 Purdue team — not to mention they wouldn't have been in the discussion if Maryland's QB could have executed a wide-open two-point conversion. And if Northwestern had beaten Ohio State they would have beaten two of the top four teams in the East (and lost to another, Michigan, by three points) and swept the West. If you want to call that being queen of a pig dance, then OK, the conference was a pig dance this year. Keeping multiple one- or two-loss conference champions out of the playoff year after year because some four-loss team might win the league once in a blue moon is ridiculous.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT