ADVERTISEMENT

BTN POST GAME: Sandy Says Pat Will Be Back!

Surprised by that announcement. I’d love to hear Sandy explain her rationale in the decision. It seems like it’s just postponing the inevitable into year 9.

Last edited:
We should all look past NEXT. YEAR. :eek: . There’s no point in getting excited about next season. None.

NEXT. NEXT. YEAR. :eek:

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Penn St has THE perfect guy for THEIR basketball program:4
a) He's fine with running a program who spends less revenues than any other B1G program.
b) He's fine with being the lowest paid coach in the B1G
c) He's loyal to PSU... willing to make goofy jumbotron commercials for the football Saturday's

Let's all be real. Penn St is NOT committed to having a big time college BB program. They want to spend less revenues than any other B1G school .... to be painfully honest, Penn St is fine with treating Men's BB like a "Welfare Program". The B1G does revenue sharing..... so Penn St will receive the same share of tournament $$$ as MSU, Michigan, Iowa.... and all the other B1G schools going to the NCAA.... all they have to do is stick out their greedy hands and accept those revenue sharing checks.

Penn St has THE perfect guy for THEIR basketball program:4
a) He's fine with running a program who spends less revenues than any other B1G program.
b) He's fine with being the lowest paid coach in the B1G
c) He's loyal to PSU... willing to make goofy jumbotron commercials for the football Saturday's

Let's all be real. Penn St is NOT committed to having a big time college BB program. They want to spend less revenues than any other B1G school .... to be painfully honest, Penn St is fine with treating Men's BB like a "Welfare Program". The B1G does revenue sharing..... so Penn St will receive the same share of tournament $$$ as MSU, Michigan, Iowa.... and all the other B1G schools going to the NCAA.... all they have to do is stick out their greedy hands and accept those revenue sharing checks.

I cannot disagree with you, but the athletic department's motto is supposed to be Success With Honor. For men's basketball, it's just With Honor.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Art
picard-facepalm-2.jpg

Unbelievable. At work, we'd say, "he must know something about someone in management!";)

picard-facepalm-2.jpg

Unbelievable. At work, we'd say, "he must know something about someone in management!";)

I really think you guys are looking at this all wrong. You guys are looking at this simply from the perspective of a true sports fan. Meaning that you are looking at this from the perspective of "winning is the most important thing". What's most important is W/Ls, making NCAA Tournaments, beating rivals, having an exciting product .....

The Admin will definitely take wins. But for the Men's BB program wins and on-court results are just a nice by-product of revenue.

The Men's BB program is all about investing the LEAST while receiving the MOST.

Let's say we fire Chambers. WHO ARE WE GOING TO GET ... THAT FITS THE ADMIN's CRITERIA ????
> Who will agree to be the B1G lowest paid Coach?
> Who will agree to run a program with the B1G's lowest operating budget?
> Who will be fine with playing in a mausoleum 75% empty most home games?
> Who will agree to making goofy jumbotron videos for the football team?

That sounds like I am being sarcastic and cynical, but those are the reality of the Men's BB job description.... Who are we getting with that job description??

I really think you guys are looking at this all wrong. You guys are looking at this simply from the perspective of a true sports fan. Meaning that you are looking at this from the perspective of "winning is the most important thing". What's most important is W/Ls, making NCAA Tournaments, beating rivals, having an exciting product .....

The Admin will definitely take wins. But for the Men's BB program wins and on-court results are just a nice by-product of revenue.

The Men's BB program is all about investing the LEAST while receiving the MOST.

Let's say we fire Chambers. WHO ARE WE GOING TO GET ... THAT FITS THE ADMIN's CRITERIA ????
> Who will agree to be the B1G lowest paid Coach?
> Who will agree to run a program with the B1G's lowest operating budget?
> Who will be fine with playing in a mausoleum 75% empty most home games?
> Who will agree to making goofy jumbotron videos for the football team?

That sounds like I am being sarcastic and cynical, but those are the reality of the Men's BB job description.... Who are we getting with that job description??

I'm confused. Does that make Barbour a smartshit or a dumshit?

Chambers has built a program that is now a consistent top 50. Depending on recruiting hits/misses and early departures we will fluctuate, but the floor is now a competitive top 50 team. People that want chambers fired are only comparing the high points, which isn’t great from a process control standpoint.

And people that want him fired realize that the ceiling is not much above 50 as his in game coaching is bottom of the league.

Chambers has built a program that is now a consistent top 50. Depending on recruiting hits/misses and early departures we will fluctuate, but the floor is now a competitive top 50 team. People that want chambers fired are only comparing the high points, which isn’t great from a process control standpoint.

People that want him fired want a team that is above .500, regularly goes to the Dance, and challenges for the Big Ten title every so often. Fvck process control.

People that want him fired want a team that is above .500, regularly goes to the Dance, and challenges for the Big Ten title every so often. Fvck process control.
If all you care about is wins, then you get cupcake schedules. You present yourself as intelligent, but refuse to consider any analysis other than wins and losses. While this is the most important metric, it doesn’t tell the real story.

And people that want him fired realize that the ceiling is not much above 50 as his in game coaching is bottom of the league.
His in game coaching was pretty good with Tone Carr and Shep Garner... we had 3 of the top five guards contribute as true freshman and the 4th is a sophomore. Stevens isn’t a point guard and can’t get a great look when everyone knows he’s going to take the shot.

If all you care about is wins, then you get cupcake schedules. You present yourself as intelligent, but refuse to consider any analysis other than wins and losses. While this is the most important metric, it doesn’t tell the real story.
It’s about getting to the tournament once in a while and to do that you can’t lose your first 10 conference games, regardless of your OOC schedule. I would take one good season with a tournament appearance every four years, but we can’t even get that.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
His in game coaching was pretty good with Tone Carr and Shep Garner... we had 3 of the top five guards contribute as true freshman and the 4th is a sophomore. Stevens isn’t a point guard and can’t get a great look when everyone knows he’s going to take the shot.
Actually it wasn't good at all, he had guards who bailed him out. Go look up the umpteen threads regarding poor half court offense bad substitution patterns, time management etc from last year. He is why they didnt get in to the tourney. PC lost that team 3 or 4 games himself last year.

Reactions: NewEra 2014

Two seasons above .500 in eight years That's the real story. Process that!

I'm confused. Does that make Barbour a smartshit or a dumshit?

I believe the operating plan for the Men's BB program comes from higher up than Sandy. I believe she is just the conduit that carries out their directive. IMO, if Sandy were given a blank check book and told to fix Men's BB, I honestly believe she'd allocate enough revenue to ensure we were in the top half of league teams in operating budget. But I do not believe Sandy has that ability. I am not campaigning for Sandy. Or claiming she is a great AD. Just saying that after so many years of incompetence with our Men's BB program, you can not lay this at her feet. Our Men's BB program operated like a B1G Welfare Recipient back in 1993 and has continued with the welfare recipient mentality thru the last 25 years. Sandy has only been around for the last 4-5 years of it's embarrassment.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I believe the operating plan for the Men's BB program comes from higher up than Sandy. I believe she is just the conduit that carries out their directive. IMO, if Sandy were given a blank check book and told to fix Men's BB, I honestly believe she'd allocate enough revenue to ensure we were in the top half of league teams in operating budget. But I do not believe Sandy has that ability. I am not campaigning for Sandy. Or claiming she is a great AD. Just saying that after so many years of incompetence with our Men's BB program, you can not lay this at her feet. Our Men's BB program operated like a B1G Welfare Recipient back in 1993 and has continued with the welfare recipient mentality thru the last 25 years. Sandy has only been around for the last 4-5 years of it's embarrassment.

Agree up to a point. I've posited this before. Maybe it has been determined that no matter how well the basketball team performs, PSU, because of location and demographics, will never draw sufficiently to offset the cost needed to make it better. That would be a rational decision, but it has to be backed up by something, like a market analysis. Do I believe that Barbour has commissioned one? No. If so, she's not doing her job to convince the higher ups that a greater investment is warranted.

BTW, another poster, psualum10, has suggested the opposite, that Barbour feels that where she can make her mark on PSU athletics is in basketball and is poised to infuse resources to improve it. I have no reason to doubt him, though retaining Chambers casts a bit of a shadow on that.

I'd like the team to be the equivalent of Iowa football; always well coached; usually good; sometimes real good; and occasionally able to challenge for the conference championship. I would think that would make most fans happy. I would think that should be the minimum metric for any sport PSU sponsors.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
If ONE HALF of the INCREASE in Barbour's Administration budget had been redirected towards Men's Hoops, where would PSU Men's Hoops spending rank in the B10?

(Hint: Not near the bottom :) )

Lack of funds at her discretion is an absolute non-starter wrt any excuses for the Men's Hoops program.
NON STARTER.

Whether or not such funding would have any positive result - and, if so, whether that result would justify the spending, is - obviously :) - another issue altogether.
But "lack of funds" from an ICA standpoint is an absolute non-issue.
Not even debatable - it is simple math.

But PSU has never invested revenue into the Men's BB program. It's not like we were investing into the program pre-Sandy, then the budget got slashed once she arrived in State College.

Yes. I will agree with you. Technically, if she really wanted to invest more of the total athletic budget towards Men's BB, then she could do it. But just like Dave Joyner before her, and then Tim Curly Howard before him .... the decision is always made by each and every PSU AD to not allocate more AD revenue towards men's BB.

But PSU has never invested revenue into the Men's BB program. It's not like we were investing into the program pre-Sandy, then the budget got slashed once she arrived in State College.

Yes. I will agree with you. Technically, if she really wanted to invest more of the total athletic budget towards Men's BB, then she could do it. But just like Dave Joyner before her, and then Tim Curly Howard before him .... the decision is always made by each and every PSU AD to not allocate more AD revenue towards men's BB.

Winning basketball can make money. Question is can it at PSU. Have they done their due diligence? I doubt it and now it's Barbour's job.

Sandy must be smart, she's running men's BB like the NY Giants!

Two seasons above .500 in eight years That's the real story. Process that!
For the record, I can see why you and others feel that way. I stopped defending Pat at around 0-8 in conference. I do see something good going on in the program and am patient enough to give Pat time to see whether he can take another step or two

I had a good conversation with Andy Staples this evening. He thinks Penn State should be able to build a winning program.

Chambers record (overall, in conference)-

2011: 12–20, 4–14, T–11th
2012: 10–21, 2–16, 12th
2013: 16–18, 6–12, T–10th
2014: 18–16, 4–14, 13th
2015: 16–16, 7–11, 10th
2016: 15–18, 6–12, T–12th
2017: 26–13, 9–9, T–6th NIT Champion
2018: 14–18, 7-13, T-10th

After 8 years: 127–140 (.474), 45–101 (.303)

Not sure that would earn another year at many D1 programs.

Chambers record (overall, in conference)-

2011: 12–20, 4–14, T–11th
2012: 10–21, 2–16, 12th
2013: 16–18, 6–12, T–10th
2014: 18–16, 4–14, 13th
2015: 16–16, 7–11, 10th
2016: 15–18, 6–12, T–12th
2017: 26–13, 9–9, T–6th NIT Champion
2018: 14–18, 7-13, T-10th

After 8 years: 127–140 (.474), 45–101 (.303)

Not sure that would earn another year at many D1 programs.

But we aren’t many D1 programs.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Not that one has any influence over the other, but:

After the kerfluffle w Dread, PSU lost their next 8 in a row (the kerfluffle happened at the same time as the losing streak started - - - not when it ended)
Thanks. I probably shouldn’t have commented at all given my level of interest/participation in the shit show.

Reactions: stormingnorm
I like Pat Chambers and think he’s a good coach and good for the kids. It’s just hard to get kids to central PA for Bball
Wrong and defeatist. Just hours from several major b-ball hotbeds. Do you want people to start listing places in bum**** that have better programs?

Edit. I’ll start. Ever been to Auburn or Starkville?

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT