ADVERTISEMENT

BTN on AppleTV

nitnee

Oct 3, 2007
Unbelievably I still can't get the BTN on my cable system. I signed up for DIRECTV but not wild about the outages and quirky performance.

Is it possible to get BTN using AppleTV?

Nope...BTN is still not on Apple TV. Even so most apps such as HBO, ESPN, etc you must still login via your provider so it wouldn't help anyway

Technically there is no BTN App on the Appletv, but you can use the app on the phone or an ipad and airplay it to the appletv. My parents have Armstrong and they used my Directv account to stream the late season games that were on BTN only.

Reactions: Zenophile
Technically there is no BTN App on the Appletv, but you can use the app on the phone or an ipad and airplay it to the appletv. My parents have Armstrong and they used my Directv account to stream the late season games that were on BTN only.

I agree. And with the new Apple TV (at least, I have the new and don't know about the old), you can bring it up on your phone/table and stream to your Apple TV using "Air Play Mirroring". Simple swipe up from the bottom on your device and get the control panel where you turn on airplane mode, etc. An option is "Air Play Mirroring" and that will let you show anything that is on your phone on you big TV via Apple TV.

I use this to show Amazon Prime on my Apple TV and it works great.

I agree. And with the new Apple TV (at least, I have the new and don't know about the old), you can bring it up on your phone/table and stream to your Apple TV using "Air Play Mirroring". Simple swipe up from the bottom on your device and get the control panel where you turn on airplane mode, etc. An option is "Air Play Mirroring" and that will let you show anything that is on your phone on you big TV via Apple TV.

I use this to show Amazon Prime on my Apple TV and it works great.

None of that matters if he doesn't have access to the BTN content through his cable company. That's the boat that he's in and is trying to fix but your solutions won't work.

None of that matters if he doesn't have access to the BTN content through his cable company. That's the boat that he's in and is trying to fix but your solutions won't work.

You are correct but I thought he got it through Direct TV. If not, as the poster below notes, you can subscribe to the B1G directly for ~ $120 year. You can than use apple tv to project it on the big screen.

I believe you can access BTN by subscribing to PS Vue, which is available on Apple TV (4th generation). Unfortunately, you need a $35 / month subscription to access the content.

Unbelievably I still can't get the BTN on my cable system. I signed up for DIRECTV but not wild about the outages and quirky performance.

Is it possible to get BTN using AppleTV?
Long-time DirecTV user; not crazy about the cost in my current package, but the quality and reliability has been very good over the years. The exception is during a heavy thunder storm when the signal does not get through, but that's not real often. Glad to have had the BTN access.

You are correct but I thought he got it through Direct TV. If not, as the poster below notes, you can subscribe to the B1G directly for ~ $120 year. You can than use apple tv to project it on the big screen.
Careful. I don't think BTN2Go includes televised games.

He does now but his post said he was unhappy with the outages. My assumption is that means he wants to get rid of it.

He does now but his post said he was unhappy with the outages. My assumption is that means he wants to get rid of it.

could be....but his usage with Direct TV (assuming B1G is included) would allow him to download "on the go" and watch it. I have AT&T, i can watch it directly. I can watch it through AT&T's app on my mobile device. And I can watch it via BigTen To Go, and I can stream it off of my laptop.

You have two streaming option for BTN without cable. 1) Playstation Vue streaming service has BTN in its $45 tier. 2) DirecTV Now (the new streaming version of DirecTV being sold since AT&T bought DirecTV. Sling and other streaming services havent got it yet, and BTN isn't selling its own streaming version yet. Probably BTN's contracts with cable systems limit its ability to license streaming rights. BTN had to offer lots of concessions to get cable systems to put it on the extended tier (which means it gets revenue from a lot of households that never watch BTN -- a consequence of bundling)

I dropped cable and signed up for DirecTV Now for three months to get the free Apple TV (Playstation Vue is probably the long term plan if DTV Now doesn't add a DVR soon). BTN streaming works nicely on DirecTV now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT