ADVERTISEMENT

Football BTN is at practice today....

it's great to be talking football again... real football. I saw a little of the B1G review last night (with R and MD). They are always on the sunshine side but talked up QB, WR, RB and DB. Said it was hard to know how the OL would perform until game days. They did talk about passing the looks test. Also, CJF said that this group of Freshmen first-year players would be the most impactful freshman first-year team he's ever had.

DiNardo's analysis re the defense is spot on. Playing Purdue away right off the bat is a tough draw. A loss wouldn't be shocking.
The DBs will be fine. So will the DL... The problem is at LB. Can we cover the Purdue RBs and TEs with out LBs without surrendering the running game?

Anybody know when their PSU show will be aired on B10?
Their show, such as it is, was on yesterday 8/10. The evening Big Show covered 3 campus visits -- Rutgers, PSU, and Maryland, with highlights and brief conversations with the Head Coaches.

A step down from the previous Tailgate Tour, etc. where they did 1 school per day. The PSU coverage was OK with some of the points noted above, but disappointing there wasn't more to it.

Unless there is some more extensive coverage in the next week or two, I think we've had the visit and the show.

DiNardo's analysis re the defense is spot on. Playing Purdue away right off the bat is a tough draw. A loss wouldn't be shocking.
Can't afford a loss at Purdue. Where do you make it up? OSU? UM? MSU? AUB?

Can't afford a loss at Purdue. Where do you make it up? OSU? UM? MSU? AUB?
I don’t expect a loss there, but it isn’t a gimme, either. I think we beat MSU at home and probably one of Auburn or UM. I see 8-4 to 10-2 as most likely. Talent and depth are there and we have a solid backup QB or two if Clifford doesn’t hold up.

Reactions: royboy
I don’t expect a loss there, but it isn’t a gimme, either. I think we beat MSU at home and probably one of Auburn or UM. I see 8-4 to 10-2 as most likely. Talent and depth are there and we have a solid backup QB or two if Clifford doesn’t hold up.
I think closer to 8-4 because of the LB situation.

A lot of unknowns going into this game. The fact that we are a 3 pt road favorite is very interesting since we aren't viewed as a top 25 team.

While they are going to test us in the passing game, one good thing is that Purdue was a worse rushing team than we were last year. Have they tried to remedy that? Or are they OK with 300+ pass yards a game even if the run is below 90?

Kind of like Wisconsin last year, we'll know a lot about this team after week 1. Setting us up for an Auburn team that is getting less respect than us; some predictions have them 6th in the West. Yikes. They were competitive all year. Just couldn't close out games or win them late.

Reactions: NedFromYork
A lot of unknowns going into this game. The fact that we are a 3 pt road favorite is very interesting since we aren't viewed as a top 25 team.

While they are going to test us in the passing game, one good thing is that Purdue was a worse rushing team than we were last year. Have they tried to remedy that? Or are they OK with 300+ pass yards a game even if the run is below 90?

Kind of like Wisconsin last year, we'll know a lot about this team after week 1. Setting us up for an Auburn team that is getting less respect than us; some predictions have them 6th in the West. Yikes. They were competitive all year. Just couldn't close out games or win them late.

Possibly not viewed as a top 25 team by the poll voters, some of whom are not too informed and some who have their conference biases, etc. But yes, viewed as a top 25 team talent wise (and by the bookies) and going into the season, on the field where the games are actually played.

Last edited:

I think Purdue is dangerous but I don't understand the gloom and doom. Purdue is a passing team and we've got the best defensive backfield we've probably ever had. While there is some inexperience, the DBs are very athletic and capable.

In the meantime, we've got talent all over the field except LB. But Purdue is not the O that traditionally attacks LBers well. Starting a season, very first game, on the road against a quality opponent is tough. But we did it last year against a better team, IMHO. I expect this year's offense to be better while the overall D is slightly worse.

Again, Purdue is dangerous but there is no reason why we can't win in a convincing fashion.

I think Purdue is dangerous but I don't understand the gloom and doom. Purdue is a passing team and we've got the best defensive backfield we've probably ever had. While there is some inexperience, the DBs are very athletic and capable.

In the meantime, we've got talent all over the field except LB. But Purdue is not the O that traditionally attacks LBers well. Starting a season, very first game, on the road against a quality opponent is tough. But we did it last year against a better team, IMHO. I expect this year's offense to be better while the overall D is slightly worse.

Again, Purdue is dangerous but there is no reason why we can't win in a convincing fashion.
I highly doubt we will win convincingly. I see a tight game but do expect us to win.

I am concerned about generating a pass rush thus giving the Purdue gunslinger time to sling it all over. I know our DBs are good but the Purdue QB is also good and with time he is going to find the open guy. Then with our inexperienced LBs that does not help our cause.

On offense we have to get the run game going and hopefully dominate them up front. Control the clock and hit the big plays.

I highly doubt we will win convincingly. I see a tight game but do expect us to win.

I am concerned about generating a pass rush thus giving the Purdue gunslinger time to sling it all over. I know our DBs are good but the Purdue QB is also good and with time he is going to find the open guy. Then with our inexperienced LBs that does not help our cause.

On offense we have to get the run game going and hopefully dominate them up front. Control the clock and hit the big plays.
I look for the pass rush to be as good or better than last season. When Mustipher went out the push from the middle of the DL was weaker which allowed the opponents Olines to focus on stopping Ebiketie. The young DT's that filled in for Mustipher will be better this season, and with Mustipher back along with Durant being a handful the push from the middle will allow the DE's to to get to the QB more often. And with Robinson and DDS added the DE's will be very active and along with Isaac will allow PSU to line up a good many DE's with very good pass rushing ability whereas Ebiketie was pretty much the only high talent DE in 2021. The PSU 2022 DL has the potential to be the deepest and most talented DL of the Franklin era.

And Diaz's reputation is that he will do whatever it takes to get pressure on the QB, including possibly lining up Robinson at Will and bringing him to the gap to flatten QB's.......

Last edited:

don't forget they lost their top WR to academics, Milton Wright. According to this article, appear to be a bit thin at WR:

Losing their top scorer is an unwelcome development, but the Boilermakers have other options to work with at the wide receiver position.​
Broc Thompson and T.J. Sheffield caught a combined nine touchdowns a year ago, the former finishing with 217 yards and two touchdowns in the bowl game.​
Mershawn Rice and Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen were both sub-100 yard receivers last season and are coming back from injury. Purdue is also expected to add a pair of receivers in the transfer portal: Auburn's Elijah Canion and Iowa's Tyrone Tracy.​

I look for the pass rush to be as good or better than last season. When Mustipher went out the push from the middle of the DL was weaker which allowed the opponents Olines to focus on stopping Ebiketie. The young DT's that filled in for Mustipher will be better this season, and with Mustipher back along with Durant being a handful the push from the middle will allow the DE's to to get to the QB more often. And with Robinson and DDS added the DE's will be very active. The PSU 2022 DL has the potential to be the deepest and most talented DL of the Franklin era.

And Diaz's reputation is that he will do whatever it takes to get pressure on the QB, including possibly lining up Robinson at Will and bringing him to the gap to flatten QB's.......
Hopefully Diaz’s focus on creating turnovers will help. If we can generate a few turnovers, that will offset our LB play and give us more opportunities.

Cool, maybe the team should just quit now then. Why even play the games?

Jeez, the negativity of our "fans" is insufferable.
It’s called reality…I will be there to cheer on the boys like always - starting Thursday 1 September in West Lafayette.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Hopefully Diaz’s focus on creating turnovers will help. If we can generate a few turnovers, that will offset our LB play and give us more opportunities.
I look for the pass rush to be as good or better than last season. When Mustipher went out the push from the middle of the DL was weaker which allowed the opponents Olines to focus on stopping Ebiketie. The young DT's that filled in for Mustipher will be better this season, and with Mustipher back along with Durant being a handful the push from the middle will allow the DE's to to get to the QB more often. And with Robinson and DDS added the DE's will be very active. The PSU 2022 DL has the potential to be the deepest and most talented DL of the Franklin era.

I don't think Mustipher will be at the same level in the first game as he was last year pre injury. He will need a few games to round into form. I don't know if the new DEs will have more production than Ebiketie. Ebiketie is an NFL caliber player. It would be great but a tall ask. Not sure DDS will be making a significant impact in game 1. Again, it would be great but seems like a reach. Bottom line, I don't see the pass rush being even as good as last year pre Mustipher injury for this game.

I still think we win but the Boilers will be a tough out. We cannot have turnovers and we better be able to run the ball. Hoping Singleton shows us what he is made of. On D we have to limit/negate their big passing plays. We definitely have more talent than they do and hence I see us winning but I believe it will be close throughout.

Formula is simple to beat a pesky team like Purdue. Keep their offense off the field! Slobberknocker, B1G football. Run, run, run... don’t get in a shoot out. Control the ball and the clock. We’ll see pretty quickly how much confidence the coaches have in the OL. Run 50 times and pass 25 times. Nine of this 50/50 crap. Pound the rock and wear them down.

I don't know if the new DEs will have more production than Ebiketie. Ebiketie is an NFL caliber player.

Coming into the season last year, nobody knew what to expect from AK either tho. In the new guys defense.

ADVERTISEMENT