ADVERTISEMENT

Browns going with rookie QB Kizer to start

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
Browns pick rookie QB DeShone Kizer to start Saturday, eye trade for Brock Osweiler

The Cleveland Browns, after naming rookie DeShone Kizer the starting quarterback for their third preseason game, have renewed their attempt to trade veteran Brock Osweiler, a league source tells ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Browns coach Hue Jackson named Kizer the starter for Saturday's preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a statement released Wednesday morning, saying the former Notre Dame signal-caller is "certainly positioning himself well to earn the starting job heading into the regular season.''

"I think he's gotten better each and every week," Jackson said later Wednesday. "He's showing the characteristics that I look for in a quarterback."

Osweiler, who is due a guaranteed salary of $16 million for 2017, is not expected to play Saturday, Jackson confirmed.

Houston gave a 2nd next year and a later round pick this year (while receiving a 4th rounder) to dump BO. I wonder what Cleveland will have to give up.

But Kelly said he needed "one more year in the Notre Dame system". I guess to be like NFL greats like Jimmy "Hollywood" Clausen and Brady "Clipboard" Quinn

Browns pick rookie QB DeShone Kizer to start Saturday, eye trade for Brock Osweiler

The Cleveland Browns, after naming rookie DeShone Kizer the starting quarterback for their third preseason game, have renewed their attempt to trade veteran Brock Osweiler, a league source tells ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Browns coach Hue Jackson named Kizer the starter for Saturday's preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a statement released Wednesday morning, saying the former Notre Dame signal-caller is "certainly positioning himself well to earn the starting job heading into the regular season.''

"I think he's gotten better each and every week," Jackson said later Wednesday. "He's showing the characteristics that I look for in a quarterback."

Osweiler, who is due a guaranteed salary of $16 million for 2017, is not expected to play Saturday, Jackson confirmed.

I posted on this in a thread the other day. Kelly is on thin ice this year. Herbie named Wimbush twice in his "Herbies"; both as a breakout player and something like herbies favorites (can't remember, seemed it was a category of kids he's rooting for). Anyway, Kizer has looked very physically gifted. He's 6-4, 235 runs well and has a very strong arm. He's missed some wide open guys and made a couple of really horrible decisions. Jackson is giving him the start to see how he does with the starters. I'll still be surprised if he starts the season but appears better than BO. He's going to make some awful mistakes but BO isn't an NFL QB, perhaps a perennial backup.

As for BO, there has been talk that Denver may take him back but they won't pay his salary. Regardless, the deal with Houston was, basically, to take his salary (giving Houston some cap relief) to get a second round pick. Browns have a ton of cap space.

Cleveland, where QBS go to die.

as long as they don't sign Kaepernick, I'm ok with them losing every game

Let them sign Kapernick and lose every game. Icing on the cake if Kapernick can do it starting all 16 games.

Reactions: Ski
Houston gave a 2nd next year and a later round pick this year (while receiving a 4th rounder) to dump BO. I wonder what Cleveland will have to give up.
Maybe they can get a #1 pick from the Jets as they are as dysfunctional of a franchise as the Browns

Reactions: getmyjive11

Great news!!

A double bonus: Getting to root not only against Cleveland, the mistake on the lake, but also against a Domer!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT