ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks non-issue

js8793

Dec 4, 2018
Apparently, AB popped for Adderall at U23s and needed a temporary waiver to compete at trials. Still not 100% sure he'll be cleared for the Olympics, though I suspect he will. He apparently has a script, but did not file paperwork properly (or something like that).

I've always thought it was weird that such a commonly prescribed drug without obvious performance enhancing capabilities is on the banned list. Why not ban coffee while we're at it? Would really suck if this keeps him out.

Apparently, AB popped for Adderall at U23s and needed a temporary waiver to compete at trials. Still not 100% sure he'll be cleared for the Olympics, though I suspect he will. He apparently has a script, but did not file paperwork properly (or something like that).

I've always thought it was weird that such a commonly prescribed drug without obvious performance enhancing capabilities is on the banned list. Why not ban coffee while we're at it? Would really suck if this keeps him out.

It's called a TUE.

My next door neighbor is the head of science for USADA. Talked about this exact issue a couple months ago and apparently it's more common than you'd think. Hopefully they can grant AB a retroactive TUE and the issue goes away.

Some drugs can cover up others in the tests. I remember a female gymnast was hit a few years ago for taking Sudafed for a cold because Sudafed masks some PEDs.

But I agree, if someone has a legit medical reason for taking a medication, they shouldn't be dinged for taking it while competing. Personally, I think the anti-drug stuff is getting a little out of control.

The PED properties for Adderall (and other stimulants related to amphetamines) for wrestlers specifically is weight loss. That shouldn't really be an issue for AB at 86, though, I don't think.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Well one would think he had a TUE from the NCAA or he’d have had issues there. Weird that they wouldn’t file with UWW though.

• Haha
Here is Mineo's tweet for those that didn't read it in the other 2 threads where it was already posted and being discussed:

This sounds like the Jordan Oliver situation, which did not end well for JO.
Yeah, I've been trying to dig into that more--I don't remember clearly--but found reports JO didn't report his script for Adderall at all. In this case, Mineo at least is saying AB did report it--but didn't fill in the paperwork correctly? Does that make a difference, if true? JO got a full year ban the first time.

• Haha
Well one would think he had a TUE from the NCAA or he’d have had issues there. Weird that they wouldn’t file with UWW though.
Or maybe they did and UWW ignored it?

That would be comparable to when Snacks flunked his skin check at Ironman because he had a prescription and written clearance from a nationally-cited expert, but the local Akron doctor knew better.

• Haha
did he get stripped of his u23 gold? i feel like it'd be weird to allow him to keep that but not let him participate in a tournament a year later
That’s what I’m saying. If he tested positive at U23s and didn’t have an exemption and they’ve known this for 6 months wouldn’t they have already DQ’d him from U23s

That’s what I’m saying. If he tested positive at U23s and didn’t have an exemption and they’ve known this for 6 months wouldn’t they have already DQ’d him from U23s
To say nothing of how all this might make Mirasola, Dieringer and Zahid feel about the fairness of granting Aaron a waiver for OTT if the hammer was to follow.

Last edited:
It certainly feels like we’re only getting a small part of the story here.

But it also shows that if you fail a UWW test (still an if, as far as we know) it should be made public immediately.

FWIW Jordan Oliver’s failed PED test occurred in April 2017 but the ruling didn’t come down until January 2018.

IIRC we knew about it well before the official ruling in January though
This is true Oliver wasn’t permitted to compete at World Team Trials in June 2017 that was when it was revealed why. I suppose if Mineo’s information is correct and AB was granted a temporary waiver to compete at trials maybe that’s why any release of the alleged failed test was withheld that’s just me guessing.

Reactions: PatMineo22
Just the tip of the iceberg
And the Hawkeyes are the Titanic.
Season 10 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

Changes Brooks' name for anybody else, Yianni or Stieber, for example (god forbid the Brands or any other Iowa legend) .... if it comes to light they used PEDs, that doesn't make you question their legacy? Can't imagine it wouldn't. It damn sure should - although fans of his are going to cross another bridge and downplay. PED users stain sports - no way around it unless you have blinders on.
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Reactions: ccdiver

Oh it does have performance enhancing properties, it is basically and amphetamine.

• Love
The PED properties for Adderall (and other stimulants related to amphetamines) for wrestlers specifically is weight loss. That shouldn't really be an issue for AB at 86, though, I don't think.
It's more than that actually, it can have effects on focus and potentially strength, not in a steroid sense, but as a nervous system, stimulant. I do not know if you realize caffeine is a banned substance at certain levels.

Some drugs can cover up others in the tests. I remember a female gymnast was hit a few years ago for taking Sudafed for a cold because Sudafed masks some PEDs.

But I agree, if someone has a legit medical reason for taking a medication, they shouldn't be dinged for taking it while competing. Personally, I think the anti-drug stuff is getting a little out of control.
Yeah, it gets crazy with OTC drugs, supplements, and prescriptions. Some are allowed but only at certain levels.

The heart medicine I am on is a banned substance because it slows your heart rate. Advantage for participants in shooting sports.

Guess I will never compete in the Olympics.

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT