ADVERTISEMENT

BrockBronson Scholastic Recruiting Apocalypse Thread

I am old school but when a program is getting world team members each year people tend to follow. Bethlehem Catholic doesn’t recruit as much as attract. Aliquippa football doesn’t recruit they attract.
So you are saying Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State don't recruit they simply pick from a list of applicants?

So you are saying Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State don't recruit they simply pick from a list of applicants?
Not sure I said anything about colleges! But honestly those schools don’t have to beat the trail recruiting. The best kids want to be apart of their program. Just like at PsU for wrestling, Cael doesn’t have to beg kids to come.
Back to my original point- I don’t think Beth Cath, Mcort, Reynolds, Nazareth, Notre Dame or any of the coaches go out after kids.

I wish I would've held back my son. He was born a few weeks early (august) and if born on his due date he wouldn't have been eligible for kindergarten when he entered. My wife and I both started early and were 17yo college freshmen. I wasn't mature enough for college and my son also could've benefited from some more maturity. In elementary school he didn't pay attention, which drove his teachers crazy. He was never a bad kid just not focused at all on what the teacher was doing. He still got above average grades even without trying much at all. And like me he fumbled around a bit after high school.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Someone told me once “I never heard someone regret holding their kid back” but I heard hundreds of Parents saying they wish they did.

going to college at 17 you are immature and going at 19 is only two years but very important years.

I was the youngest in my high school class and was hurt athletically, by not being held back, entered kindergarten at the early age of 4 years old. The older kids in my class were almost 2 years older than I was. From Kindergarten to 9th grade, I was easily the fastest, most athletic athlete, but I also entered puberty much later than average and by the 9th grade, I was easily passed by, in speed and size by much more mature boys. As a result, I held all 4 of our kids back, from kindergarten, by 1 year, who all had fall birthdays. 1 girl and 3 boys, they ended up being some of the older kids in their class, best decision I’ve ever made.

I was the youngest in my high school class and was hurt athletically, by not being held back, entered kindergarten at the early age of 4 years old. The older kids in my class were almost 2 years older than I was. From Kindergarten to 9th grade, I was easily the fastest, most athletic athlete, but I also entered puberty much later than average and by the 9th grade, I was easily passed by, in speed and size by much more mature boys. As a result, I held all 4 of our kids back, from kindergarten, by 1 year, who all had fall birthdays. 1 girl and 3 boys, they ended up being some of the older kids in their class, best decision I’ve ever made.
I feel like it depends on the situation. Holding a kid back who is on the very oldest end of the spectrum probably isn't as beneficial as what you did - most of the benefit will narrow by the time they are 16-17 for most (but not all) kids. I also started kindergarten at 4 and was way behind until about 7th grade, when the gap started to narrow. By the time I was a senior it didn't matter much - I still wrestled D1 and I will say that the difference between me and some of the older juniors and seniors was pretty big, but they also worked a hell of a lot harder than I was at that point.

I feel like it depends on the situation. Holding a kid back who is on the very oldest end of the spectrum probably isn't as beneficial as what you did - most of the benefit will narrow by the time they are 16-17 for most (but not all) kids. I also started kindergarten at 4 and was way behind until about 7th grade, when the gap started to narrow. By the time I was a senior it didn't matter much - I still wrestled D1 and I will say that the difference between me and some of the older juniors and seniors was pretty big, but they also worked a hell of a lot harder than I was at that point.
By the way, I'd have definitely started my kid a year late if they had July or August birthdays. Theirs are in spring, and not a one would consider staying back even though all of their friends who are higher level athletes are either a year to 1.5 older or a grade or two behind.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
And her hair smells great!
Joe-Biden-Sniffing-Everyone-1024x819.png

The Faith coaches have kids from 20 states in for auditions. It’s plastered all over fb. The PIAA should be feasting on this. Mcort did the same thing last year with a camp and it led to their suspension. Go to preps already. You recruit better than most of the prep schools who are allowed.

The younger Bouzakis could end up at Bethlehem Catholic. Watering hole talk- he has been working out with their team and coaches. D11 would love to add him.

Last edited:
The Faith coaches have kids from 20 states in for auditions. It’s plastered all over fb. The PIAA should be feasting on this. Mcort did the same thing last year with a camp and it led to their suspension. Go to preps already. You recruit better than most of the prep schools who are allowed.

The younger Bouzakis could end up at Bethlehem Catholic. Watering hole talk- he has been working out with their team and coaches. D11 would love to add him.
A couple of HS rankings have Vince Bouzakis at Dublin Coffman HS (OH) (NE suburb of Columbus). That could be old news or incorrect news, but just thought I would mention it.

Who has the most up-to-date HS ratings? Would love to see recent 22-23 PA and national. I haven't seen anything recent for PA, and the national rankings I've seen thus far seem to be a bit off.

The rankings anymore are off. It seems like rankings are making kids gun shy to compete. God forbid they lose and drop in the rankings.

Willie thoughts on rewarding the kids who put it on the line and not scared to lose. McGowan is very good but barely wrestled 15 matches since winning a cadet world title three years ago but somehow ends up in WNO every year and ranked #1. 126 for WNO should be Davino and Larkin.
If I was scouting I would want kids who compete and grind. Not scared to put it on the line. The B10 schedule is brutal down the stretch. You have to be able to battle match in and match out.
Rankings are honestly hurting Hs wrestling IMO.

FLO WNO has a few matches that make no sense at all. Doesn’t surprise me if Mike Mal had anything to do with them. Now with his move to Poway look for them to be all through the national rankings and FLO promoting them like crazy.

Mineo reported-

PIAA Champ & 2x finalist Louie Gill is transferring from Hickory to Reynolds. Hickory was recently bumped to AAA, he will remain in AA. Gill holds a 72-7 record after 2 seasons.

He was ruled eligible and nothing happens for the move. How doesn’t Greenville, Hickory etc do something about this? Reynolds has been picking through that area for 15 plus years. 5K open enrollment

Who has the most up-to-date HS ratings? Would love to see recent 22-23 PA and national. I haven't seen anything recent for PA, and the national rankings I've seen thus far seem to be a bit off.
Willie and PA Power Wrestling. Both paywalled on Rokfin, but they're the best.

Mineo reported-

PIAA Champ & 2x finalist Louie Gill is transferring from Hickory to Reynolds. Hickory was recently bumped to AAA, he will remain in AA. Gill holds a 72-7 record after 2 seasons.

He was ruled eligible and nothing happens for the move. How doesn’t Greenville, Hickory etc do something about this? Reynolds has been picking through that area for 15 plus years. 5K open enrollment
Someone has to file to block now, no?

Reynolds 100% been getting kids in for years but most started there as freshmen (not that it’s any better just I would assume harder to block the prior ones).

Mineo reported-

How does Greenville have jurisdiction to challenge the transfer? They are neither the departing or receiving school.

How does Greenville have jurisdiction to challenge the transfer? They are neither the departing or receiving school.
I was just referencing schools in the Reynolds area, where the cherry picking takes place and has for years.

Willie and PA Power Wrestling. Both paywalled on Rokfin, but they're the best.
I thought that both were pretty far off on the class rankings for Freshmen and Sophomores. Seems like they both have some favorite programs and names
I am sure it will shake out a bit once the season starts, but my guy is just at the age where I can figure out who's missing and who may not be at the top 20 level.

I was just referencing schools in the Reynolds area, where the cherry picking takes place and has for years.
Correct that only the schools involved can refuse to sign off, but I believe any school can file a complaint with PIAA. If someone knows for certain, LMK.

Thst said, doesn't he automatically lose the post season because hr transferred after completing his freshman year? Thought PIAA instituted thst a year or 2 ago.

Reactions: PaDistrict11
I thought that too but heard his district is pushing it through that he doesn’t. It amazes me how corrupt and grey the PIAA rules are.

They made a statement with Mcort but isn’t following up on it. Reynolds will be back in the team hunt at Hershey and Casey Taylor will still complain about NDGP.

Reminder of PIAA rules passed in 2018:

Gill is automatically ineligible for the postseason for a year. Eligible for the regular season.

2018 rule change took away that entire "corrupt" process. Reynolds has no say. Hickory has no say. No other schools have a say. D10 committee has no say. Gill has to qualify for one of the hardships listed in the article, or he misses the postseason. Period.

There's nothing corrupt or gray about the process. Except to people who listen to rumors instead of reading the rules.

Reminder of PIAA rules passed in 2018:

Gill is automatically ineligible for the postseason for a year. Eligible for the regular season.

2018 rule change took away that entire "corrupt" process. Reynolds has no say. Hickory has no say. No other schools have a say. D10 committee has no say. Gill has to qualify for one of the hardships listed in the article, or he misses the postseason. Period.

There's nothing corrupt or gray about the process. Except to people who listen to rumors instead of reading the rules.
The hardship rule has been granted to athletes already in cases where the hardship is definitely not a hardship lol

Reactions: ChillW
The hardship rule has been granted to athletes already in cases where the hardship is definitely not a hardship lol
Who got an exception that wasn't among the listed hardships?

If it's a listed exception but it's not a "hardship" to you or me or someone else ... that kind of 3rd party judgment is exactly what the rule was designed to eliminate -- in both directions.

Who got an exception that wasn't among the listed hardships?

If it's a listed exception but it's not a "hardship" to you or me or someone else ... that kind of 3rd party judgment is exactly what the rule was designed to eliminate -- in both directions.
Not about to list the names of high school kids. Am not Mr. Minnow but I promise u it has happened, in fact it just did in D3 and D11

Reading the exemptions, it seems like Gill wouldn't be eligible for post season this year. It seems hard to believe that he'd give thst up.

There was a national news story about Middletown PA cancelling its football season due to hazing a day or 2 ago. One of their players transferred a few days later. PIAA said that they aren't going to challenge the transfer but that he can't play in a game for the new school for 21 days. The article I read didn't mention the postseason ban for that kid, or his grade, but he was the starting QB so unlikely to be a freshman.

Reading the exemptions, it seems like Gill wouldn't be eligible for post season this year. It seems hard to believe that he'd give thst up.

There was a national news story about Middletown PA cancelling its football season due to hazing a day or 2 ago. One of their players transferred a few days later. PIAA said that they aren't going to challenge the transfer but that he can't play in a game for the new school for 21 days. The article I read didn't mention the postseason ban for that kid, or his grade, but he was the starting QB so unlikely to be a freshman.
That kid will most likely play WR for Steelton. They have a phenomenal QB already.

I’m actually rather surprised Greenville isn’t making a big stink about this (provided it’s true) considering John Reynolds deeply rooted disdain for the Reynolds program. Though Greenville may not be directly involved, I wouldn’t put it past John Reynolds to file a complaint with the PIAA regardless.

The more I take in the whole rumor, the less it makes sense. Louie is an incoming junior with an already known name on the national scene. Why would he give up the chance to be a 3x state champion just so he can go to a couple more nationally known tournaments this year then have to watch the postseason on the sidelines?

Last edited:
After 9th grade they automatically are ineligible for post season barring an exception. But they still can’t transfer for athletic reasons and can be ruled ineligible for the regular season as well, but if hickory and Reynolds both signed off that wouldn’t even go to committee. Same will have to happen with Middletown kids, they will have to sit out 21 days auto then will be ineligible for postseason barring an exception which is not having your season cancelled by the school and will need sign offs by both schools to be eligible at all during regular season.

The latest is Faith Academy is under investigation they brought in close to 20 national ranked wrestlers, running clinics out of their room with kids from all over the country. Could we see Mcort part 2? If they were in D11 it would be all brushed under the carpet

I feel bad for kids having to sit out but I also feel for schools like hickory losing kids. Especially small schools. I really think private schools should not be in the PIAA but I know that’s all about court battles and legislation. I also think all transfers should be handled at PIAA level for hearings then at least it’s more consistent. Still wouldn’t matter if both schools sign off.

I feel bad for kids having to sit out but I also feel for schools like hickory losing kids. Especially small schools. I really think private schools should not be in the PIAA but I know that’s all about court battles and legislation. I also think all transfers should be handled at PIAA level for hearings then at least it’s more consistent. Still wouldn’t matter if both schools sign off.
These most recent events show that it isn't really just a public-private thing. It's about PIAA having rules that make sense, and that they follow consistently.

Last edited:
PIAA definitely has rules but they don’t apply them consistently. That is the major complaint by most.

Rules that make sense? You mean like applied evenly across the board?
I mean both... I mean "makes sense" as in punish the adults more harshly than the kids. You recruit, minimum [x] year suspension from coaching, including sports related contact with PIAA athletes or attendance at piaa events. If you're suspended, no club coaching of 7-12 graders during suspension if you want to coach scholastically at a PIAA school. Then apply it equally to all schools.

It will never happen, but it should.

I mean both... I mean "makes sense" as in punish the adults more harshly than the kids. You recruit, minimum [x] year suspension from coaching, including sports related contact with PIAA athletes or attendance at piaa events. If you're suspended, no club coaching of 7-12 graders during suspension if you want to coach scholastically at a PIAA school. Then apply it equally to all schools.

It will never happen, but it should.
Does that mean booths advertising your school at States would be prohibited? 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT