ADVERTISEMENT

BrockBronson Scholastic Recruiting Apocalypse Thread

I agree. I hate private schools pretty bad. I don’t think anyone recruits any of the kids.
Parents and wrestlers become friends from dual teams and clubs. They see what it’s like at these better schools with schedule, partners, etc. Wrestling people then make the move. I honestly don’t think any coach actively recruits and begs kids to come.
This issue has been going on for 30 years. Ask Willie when he walked into Easton and saw all the other kids who transferred there the same year.
Sem does have to say a word to anyone. They have a great schedule, like minded wrestlers & families and tough partners,,,,. Who wouldn’t want to go there.
Some great public school attract kids too. They don’t give houses away and pass out fliers.
If you build it, they will come. That goes with anything in life.
My goal and mission if for the PIAA to make two divisions: public & private/public (with more than 2 transfers).
I certainly don't hate private schools, but wouldn't agree that their isn't any active recruiting by either publics or privates. There are a few HS coaches that are pretty shameless, and those are the ones who should be punished. A lot of smaller private schools (mostly catholic in PIAA) are no different than your average AA school - just trying to compete with a limited enrollment and limited talent. A few public schools recruit as much as the biggest names out there.

My concern is that it's bastardizing HS athletics in all sports, along with other anti-competitive practices that always went on, but now are becoming the norm rather than the exception (like 16 year old freshmen). The kids who need HS sports the most aren't Fargo AAs or kids in national rankings, its the average kid who needs HS sports to develop character, sportsmanship, discipline, a sense or community, etc. Those latter kids seem to be getting the short end of the stick these days.

Well said.

Hold backs are the normal anymore. Most (75%) of the top kids will be 19 when they graduate. I think this originated 4-5 years ago and now everyone does this. It was around the time I moved to Vegas. Things got kind of crazy. The hold back was big in Jersey and Ohio, now it’s all through PA. PA studs I know that were held back and will be 19: Welsh, Perry, Gibson, Simcox, Forrest, Lawerance, Harer, Basset, Desmond, Shaw, MacKay, Parkins, Herring, Waters, Sipes, smaller Harer, Oneil, Correa, Austin Johnson just to name some.
In Ohio you can be 20 when you graduate HS, which is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChillW
Well said.

Hold backs are the normal anymore. Most (75%) of the top kids will be 19 when they graduate. I think this originated 4-5 years ago and now everyone does this. It was around the time I moved to Vegas. Things got kind of crazy. The hold back was big in Jersey and Ohio, now it’s all through PA. PA studs I know that were held back and will be 19: Welsh, Perry, Gibson, Simcox, Forrest, Lawerance, Harer, Basset, Desmond, Shaw, MacKay, Parkins, Herring, Waters, Sipes, smaller Harer, Oneil, Correa, Austin Johnson just to name some.
In Ohio you can be 20 when you graduate HS, which is crazy.
How old is Forrest? Wondering obviously because he beat out Jesuroga for the cadet spot and Jesuroga is college bound and Forrest is an incoming freshman. Seems a bit crazy but it’s obviously worked for him

Most kids seem like they are 19 some where in their senior year. The whole graduating at 17 doesn’t happen often anymore. All those kids mentioned above turn 19 in their senior years.
I graduated at 17 and I am sure most of us have.
It seems like this is a trend here in PA, OH,NJ, MD NY area. The mid west doesn’t seem to do this as much.

Most kids seem like they are 19 some where in their senior year. The whole graduating at 17 doesn’t happen often anymore. All those kids mentioned above turn 19 in their senior years.
It seems like this is a trend here in PA, OH,NJ, MD NY area. The mid west doesn’t seem to do this as much.
I am 68 yrs young. The first I remember reading of "Redshirting" in Jr. high and usually earlier was Texas Football. Parents were admitting to holding their kids back 1 or 2 years early in their "career" to gain a physical advantage on the others.....leading to a better shot at a scholarship. It has spread pretty much everywhere.

Crazy that this is common and across the country for other sports. You are uncommon in wrestling anymore if you don’t.

Delone Catholic could be solid. Who is spearheading that charge. It all comes down to the District Chairmen in D3. How is he with Transfers? He could be like The D11 guy & does nothing or like some go all in to play by the rules.

who is the new kid at mccort? Fargo Champ and light weight? Noble? His dad seems like a good coach. This would ruffle some feathers 🪶
Noble was announced as going to SPIRE this coming fall, at Fargo. Met his father as well. Seemed very solid.

How old is Forrest? Wondering obviously because he beat out Jesuroga for the cadet spot and Jesuroga is college bound and Forrest is an incoming freshman. Seems a bit crazy but it’s obviously worked for him

Noble was announced as going to SPIRE this coming fall, at Fargo. Met his father as well. Seemed very solid.
There were some other big names in the Cadet world and a few.PA kids looking at Spire as well. I looked ot up - enrollment seemed very small but great physical plant.
Those Toss Em Up folks in IL are serious as a heart attack about training, and they know their stuff. Nice folks too.

Last edited:
With Kenny Monday leaving Spire I wonder who they hire to replace him and if that person will be high enough profile to keep this wave of potential wrestlers from "decommitting."

The cutoff for high school classes used to be January 1st, which meant that about half the graduating class would be 17 at graduation. Today, the cutoff is September 1st and with an early June graduation date that means that very few will be 17 at graduation.

It used to be that kids born in October, November, and December were often "held" back so they wouldn't be the youngest in their class. Now, kids born in June, July, and August are often held back. However, to your point, it sure seems like more kids are being held back today.

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
Berwick was the 1st school I ever heard of that routinely redshirted kids. That was back in their 1990s heyday.

Reactions: hlstone
I have a close friend who said the he and about 10 of his classmates repeated 8th grade for football at Mt. Carmel back in the day. Back then, the school apparently approved it for straight A honors students, as he was valedictorian. So, it's not a new phenomenon, just new that it's becoming the norm almost everywhere.

Reactions: hlstone
I was unaware this happened in all sports. I would think there are crazy people in all sports just not wrestling.
honestly if it helps kids get noticed and gives them a chance for money for college it is a great choice. I guess the question now a days is why wouldn’t you

I was unaware this happened in all sports. I would think there are crazy people in all sports just not wrestling.
honestly if it helps kids get noticed and gives them a chance for money for college it is a great choice. I guess the question now a days is why wouldn’t you
I floated the idea around to hold my daughter back a year for the advantage and it would have lined her up to be the starter for all 4 years in highschool.

Some of the reasons I didn't hold her back are as follows;
She was physically mature for her age.
She was #1 in her class academically.
Her friends were in her class.
As an eighth grader she was holding her own playing with college freshman.

I floated the idea around to hold my daughter back a year for the advantage and it would have lined her up to be the starter for all 4 years in highschool.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I contemplated holding back both my kids because my side of the family all grew substantially after HS graduation. Dad went into the military 5'8 170 and came out 6-3 210. I was 5'7 and 150 and after freshman year of college was 6-0 220. My MIL brother did something similar but i dont know his stats.

But I lost that battle long-long ago because of items 2/3 above.

what we did with my son this spring/summer was move him into a Speed and Agility training. He lost all his baby fat. Bench in january was 70lbs and now 160lbs. box jump is 8" better than original testing. knocked a full sec off his 90' base run. Hes squating 185 now. All of this is as at 5'3 135lbs. 13yo. Plus his confidence in himself and in groups of people has been fantastic. Its been a personal transformation for him, going from the fat kid to the skinny kid. I used to get really worried about future depression but no worries there. Plus he loves to hunt and fish. that success has helped him and built a bond with us.

our 8th grade team OL/DL line averages 197 lbs which i think is huge for 8th grade but that is what it is. At 135 hes holding his own, but he would have quit had we not got him into S&A, as he would have never been able to hold up. I would like to hope he can put on some weight this fall going into wrestling and be around 150ish. But who knows. he protein loads every day with natural stuff, eggs (from our chix), fresh vegetables and fruit. Plus some PB fit stuff that tastes like peanut butter.

thats my son. daughter on the other hand is just gifted like your daughter. she works real hard and has a real drive for a young person. at 11 yo she can do more pushups than any 13/14U boy on our baseball/football/wrestling team. this past week she got covid 22 (22 because we already had covid 20/21) on wed by Sat tested negative without the aid of any meds and on Sunday played 2 games of soccer to help her team win the tournament they played in hershey. Do my best to keep her focused on school, friends and sports and away from boys. So far its paid off.

every kid is different but I wish we held them back for selfish sports reasons as I think it would have really helped them, but hopefully with some hard work they will position themselves regardless for success in HS and beyond.

Has Easton added anyone or are they too broke from paying Billman $251,000 for wrongful termination and discrimination? Thanks
It is a real sign of the downfall of local news that neither the Morning Call or Express sent somebody to cover the trial. I downloaded a bunch of deposition transcripts from PACER out of curiosity, and testimony got juicy there. I’d have to imagine it was only more interesting in court. Jamarr getting roughly 10x his owed back pay in damages is pretty damming of the school district (justifiably so, IMO).

Don’t think we have anybody coming in. Seems like Easton is holding on to Nick Salamone, who was with Notre Dame’s JH in 7th grade but came back to Easton for 8th and has been wrestling off-season stuff with them. I’m not sure on Noah Fenner - he’s been Red Hawk/Becahi, but he’s listed under a different club in Forks for off-season events this year. Becahi’s lightweights are so loaded, there’s a chance maybe he stays home rather than sit behind Dillard/McFillin/Campbell/Desmond? But I haven’t heard one way or the other, this is total speculation.

Do my best to keep her focused on school, friends and sports and away from boys. So far its paid off.
OK, here's a hint I've successfully used for 5 daughters; when they bring someone home that you're not wild about, tell her that you think he's awesome. Ask her if maybe he'd like to go fishing or hunting with you or just hang out some time.
She will instantly think he's a loser.
giphy.gif

It is a real sign of the downfall of local news that neither the Morning Call or Express sent somebody to cover the trial. I downloaded a bunch of deposition transcripts from PACER out of curiosity, and testimony got juicy there. I’d have to imagine it was only more interesting in court. Jamarr getting roughly 10x his owed back pay in damages is pretty damming of the school district (justifiably so, IMO).

Don’t think we have anybody coming in. Seems like Easton is holding on to Nick Salamone, who was with Notre Dame’s JH in 7th grade but came back to Easton for 8th and has been wrestling off-season stuff with them. I’m not sure on Noah Fenner - he’s been Red Hawk/Becahi, but he’s listed under a different club in Forks for off-season events this year. Becahi’s lightweights are so loaded, there’s a chance maybe he stays home rather than sit behind Dillard/McFillin/Campbell/Desmond? But I haven’t heard one way or the other, this is total speculation.
Some one said Desmond was going to Saucon Valley and D11 approved it already.

Some one said Desmond was going to Saucon Valley and D11 approved it already.
[/QUOTE
I'd be shocked if it was Saucon Valley. That is knowing a little more about the situation than some people. If he goes public I would think Nazareth is the landing spot. I'm pretty certain that is the school district that his father lives in.

I'd be shocked if it was Saucon Valley. That is knowing a little more about the situation than some people. If he goes public I would think Nazareth is the landing spot. I'm pretty certain that is the school district that his father lives in.

He would be ruled eligible I am sure. The Wild Wild East promotes making allstar teams. Then tooting how good their teams are. I don’t disagree the Lehigh valley is loaded with talent, but if they all stayed at their home districts they wouldn’t win every year at Team states.

I don't know about that, I'm sure Brock heard it at practice.

Club practice chatter among the dads is usually RiGhT On thE MaRK.😉

Bishop McCort
What is going on? Since girls isnt PIAA will anyone complain? Wonder what they are giving away to attract all these kids. Is this recruiting or attracting? PIAA just need to separate this and be done with it. It’s going to happen with girls as well. If a school has a program and their school doesn’t. They will want to go.

I am old school but when a program is getting world team members each year people tend to follow. Bethlehem Catholic doesn’t recruit as much as attract. Aliquippa football doesn’t recruit they attract. When you get so many into the NFL, others think their kid could be the next one.

Back in my day Berwick football was really good. Kids would go there and leave their home district. It made people go crazy but my old coach would say, if we do our jobs and out program is performing we won’t lose anyone to them & we didn’t.

The constant complaining of transfers of high school athletes is and always be a lightning rod for the public opinion.
Some schools such as Berwick in the 1980-90s gave the parents an opportunity for better job opportunity by being connected to the power plant. I really don't see an issue if Mom and or Dad moved to benefit/provide for family.
Other schools offer more opportunity to showcase an athlete by being an elite program. This scenario offers the students and parents more opportunity with college choices and scholarship. With the cost of college being what it is today it can be a substantial savings.
The third reason a kid might transfer could be wide ranging in regards to the school he's leaving. It could be a competitive talent issue that affects playing time and opportunity. It could be a conflict with a coach.
Another reason for a transfer could be an educational, discipline issue. The breakdown of some of the public school systems create a valid reason for parent to consider a different school. This lone issue is valid. I educated my kids in public school with my daughter's graduating in 2011 and 2013. If I had kids in school now I would most likely have them at private school. I know first hand the current issues within our district affecting the education process. The progressive policies of schools is very concerning to me.
With everything noted above ,I just think that the transfer issue shouldn't be a reason to dislike a kid or question a parent for moving their child to different environment. The PIAA should be more concerned if the kid benefits from the move from an educational or opportunity stand point.
The one issue that I do understand people not liking is the unfair playing field the private schools get in recruiting. The PIAA should offer 2 classes, public and private .

I know first hand the current issues within our district affecting the education process. The progressive policies of schools is very concerning to me.
Hmmmm. Is this politics or wrestling? Wouldn't want the thread to get locked and posts deleted. I, for one, am glad the conservative policy of beating the lefthanded during penmanship class has gone by the wayside.

The PIAA should offer 2 classes, public and private .
The PIAA is unlikely to take any action that might reduce its power and influence. Potentially becoming disenfranchised from the larger interscholastic athletic competition, Charter and Private schools could very well form their own competiting athletic organization to the PIAA, should the PIAA choose to segregate them. After all, the PIAA is a voluntary member organization.

All the members of the PIAA need do is enforce agreed to transfer rules, which its members have passed and to which they will abide, regardless of whether the transfer rules are labeled progressive or conservative. That seems more than sufficient.

Last edited:
I am 68 yrs young. The first I remember reading of "Redshirting" in Jr. high and usually earlier was Texas Football. Parents were admitting to holding their kids back 1 or 2 years early in their "career" to gain a physical advantage on the others.....leading to a better shot at a scholarship. It has spread pretty much everywhere.
I am 72 and I never heard of redshirts in school at least not where I went!

The constant complaining of transfers of high school athletes is and always be a lightning rod for the public opinion.
Some schools such as Berwick in the 1980-90s gave the parents an opportunity for better job opportunity by being connected to the power plant. I really don't see an issue if Mom and or Dad moved to benefit/provide for family.
Other schools offer more opportunity to showcase an athlete by being an elite program. This scenario offers the students and parents more opportunity with college choices and scholarship. With the cost of college being what it is today it can be a substantial savings.
The third reason a kid might transfer could be wide ranging in regards to the school he's leaving. It could be a competitive talent issue that affects playing time and opportunity. It could be a conflict with a coach.
Another reason for a transfer could be an educational, discipline issue. The breakdown of some of the public school systems create a valid reason for parent to consider a different school. This lone issue is valid. I educated my kids in public school with my daughter's graduating in 2011 and 2013. If I had kids in school now I would most likely have them at private school. I know first hand the current issues within our district affecting the education process. The progressive policies of schools is very concerning to me.
With everything noted above ,I just think that the transfer issue shouldn't be a reason to dislike a kid or question a parent for moving their child to different environment. The PIAA should be more concerned if the kid benefits from the move from an educational or opportunity stand point.
The one issue that I do understand people not liking is the unfair playing field the private schools get in recruiting. The PIAA should offer 2 classes, public and private .
I have no issue with kids transferring schools to maximize their experiences in any aspect of education or extra curricular activities. I think it’s BS that kids’ opportunities are limited by virtue of where their parents/guardians live.

by the way why would any sane kid want to spend an extra yr in high school?I was 17 when I grad and was damn happy to be out of school!
We were going to do it in elementary school.

Most just late enroll for kindergarten.

Of my friends who did it, 8th grade was the latest they waited. Which came with issues at the school but were in the end overcame with politics.

Dont think you can do it in HS.

We were going to do it in elementary school.

Most just late enroll for kindergarten.

Of my friends who did it, 8th grade was the latest they waited. Which came with issues at the school but were in the end overcame with politics.

Dont think you can do it in HS.
My mom held me back, because I was dumb. Does that count. In college I did better then some because I could buy beer a year before them. Party in Stuart hall!;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT