ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Wilson turns 76 today.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
To give you an idea of what Brian Wilson could do with music, check out what he did with music he didn't even write. Below are two versions of "Sloop John B." The first is the version by The Kingston Trio that Beach Boy Al Jardine recommended to Brian that the Beach Boys cover. The second is the cover that Brian came up with. See if you can notice an improvement.

thanks

never heard the original version before. yes, the BB version is much much better. Love this song!

To give you an idea of what Brian Wilson could do with music, check out what he did with music he didn't even write. Below are two versions of "Sloop John B." The first is the version by The Kingston Trio that Beach Boy Al Jardine recommended to Brian that the Beach Boys cover. The second is the cover that Brian came up with. See if you can notice an improvement.

Rolling Stone ranks Pet Sounds as No. 2 on its 500 greatest albums of all time. This was practically a BW solo album.

If you are one to poo-poo the Beach Boys as lightweights, but haven't listened to this album, then STFU.

Has he able to adequately deal with his mental issues? Does he now live a “normal” life?

He still tours but if you watch video of it a lot of the time he's just sitting there at the keyboard while his (large and really good) band makes the music. Since he's so old his voice is a shell of what it once was. In addition to writing and arranging and producing great music, when he was young he had a fantastic voice.

I've read that he's been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which means he hears voice, but keeps it mostly under control with whatever medications they give him. But he went a long time undiagnosed and "treated" by that crazy Dr. Landy guy, which didn't do much for him. It was only after they got rid of Dr. Landy that he got real medical treatment.

He has said that drugs put him over the edge back in the 60s, not that he did that much of them but I think he had borderline mental issues in the first place and the drugs were the final straw. It's the classic genius/crazy guy dichotomy.

Rolling Stone ranks Pet Sounds as No. 2 on its 500 greatest albums of all time. This was practically a BW solo album.

If you are one to poo-poo the Beach Boys as lightweights, but haven't listened to this album, then STFU.

Music is subjective of course. But that is by far the most disappointing album I have ever listened to. I heard so much hype about it before I listened to it that I’m sure that it could not have lived up to it. But it was just not good to my ears.

Last edited:
Music is subjective of course. But that is by far the most disappointing album I have ever listened to. I heard so much hype about it before I listened to it that I’m sure that it could have lived up to it. But it was just not good to my ears.

Music is subjective. I recognize that the Beach Boys are musical icons. I have never been a fan of the Beach Boys, and I'm sure Pet Sounds would not appeal to me. If another person thinks otherwise, that is the fun of it--the respectful disagreement.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
and I'm sure Pet Sounds would not appeal to me. If another person thinks otherwise, that is the fun of it--the respectful disagreement.
When I was four, I tried this argument to avoid eating spinach. Now, I'm glad I tried it.

Pet Sounds is total ear candy, an amazing piece of work. So much music using such limited technology compared to today. And yet the project that came next SMiLE may be his greatest work. Surf’s Up, Heroes and Villains, Good Vibrations, Cabin Essence, and they sound nothing like Pet Sounds. Brian’s music is timeless. It’s amazing how irrelevant pop music has become.

Pet Sounds is total ear candy, an amazing piece of work. So much music using such limited technology compared to today. And yet the project that came next SMiLE may be his greatest work. Surf’s Up, Heroes and Villains, Good Vibrations, Cabin Essence, and they sound nothing like Pet Sounds. Brian’s music is timeless. It’s amazing how irrelevant pop music has become.

Because I'm older I don't have a feel for what pop music is like nowadays or how durable it will be. Are there albums being put out now that people will still be playing 50 years from now and saying "Wow?" I don't know.

Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon but it's my perception that more of music now is show rather than substance. I mean, it seems like more of the point is the lights and flash and posturing and dancing rather than the music.

I get that impression from TV shows like the late night talk shows and SNL too. People don't cheer anymore, rather they yell "WOOOOOOO." They applaud after a joke, and not just the rare, really good joke. The host of the show is tries to fire up the crowd. It's like a pep rally. The point of the show seems to be less about the content of the show and more about pumping up the crowd.

A true genius. I enjoy playing Sloop on my uke. Unfortunately, it sounds like a version that will never be recorded.

Pet Sounds... favorite Beach Boys song - God Only Knows
I believe Paul McCartney called it the finest song ever written. (or something like that). I also have read that the beatles felt very threatened by "pet songs" and that resulted in some of the beatles best work.

personally, while I like many of their songs, I never really got it. I'd take CSNY any day over the BB. to me, with a few exceptions, they are just The Monkeys; just a little too "pop-y".

Saw a documentary on the making of the album. Basically no one knows why or how Brian Wilson came up with one of the greatest, most innovative, expertly produced albums of all time. The engineers could see the genius each day but they didn't know where he was going with each arrangement.

Makes you wonder sometimes about genius. Where does it come from? Hard work/experience isn't always the reason for such genius. Brian Wilson was too young to make Pet Sounds, right?

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
A true genius. I enjoy playing Sloop on my uke. Unfortunately, it sounds like a version that will never be recorded.

I recently read that Penn State has a ukelele club with 30 members! I always wanted to join the juggling club but didn't. I was in the table tennis club.

He still tours but if you watch video of it a lot of the time he's just sitting there at the keyboard while his (large and really good) band makes the music. Since he's so old his voice is a shell of what it once was. In addition to writing and arranging and producing great music, when he was young he had a fantastic voice.

I've read that he's been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which means he hears voice, but keeps it mostly under control with whatever medications they give him. But he went a long time undiagnosed and "treated" by that crazy Dr. Landy guy, which didn't do much for him. It was only after they got rid of Dr. Landy that he got real medical treatment.

He has said that drugs put him over the edge back in the 60s, not that he did that much of them but I think he had borderline mental issues in the first place and the drugs were the final straw. It's the classic genius/crazy guy dichotomy.
I saw Brian Wilson and his band perform Pet Sounds a couple of years ago. Great concert. You’re correct about his band. Al Jardine and his son were members. Al’s son has a great voice and hit all the high notes Brian Wilson sung on the album. Wilson seemed pretty engaged the whole concert but there were times he shuffled off the stage when he wasn’t the lead. It was tough watching him walk.

Because I'm older I don't have a feel for what pop music is like nowadays or how durable it will be. Are there albums being put out now that people will still be playing 50 years from now and saying "Wow?" I don't know.

Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon but it's my perception that more of music now is show rather than substance. I mean, it seems like more of the point is the lights and flash and posturing and dancing rather than the music.

I get that impression from TV shows like the late night talk shows and SNL too. People don't cheer anymore, rather they yell "WOOOOOOO." They applaud after a joke, and not just the rare, really good joke. The host of the show is tries to fire up the crowd. It's like a pep rally. The point of the show seems to be less about the content of the show and more about pumping up the crowd.
Music is generational. You stay with the music you grew up with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT