ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Pry to ULL?

If you're looking for a place to start your HC career ---- you could do worse. ULL has some structural advantages that set them up for success at the Sun Belt level.

The weird thing is, the success they've had was NOT during the Ricky Bustle era. That's when Pry was there (Pry was there for 5 years, not 7 - Feldman got that wrong).

Reactions: mn78psu83
If you're looking for a place to start your HC career ---- you could do worse. ULL has some structural advantages that set them up for success at the Sun Belt level.

The weird thing is, the success they've had was NOT during the Ricky Bustle era. That's when Pry was there (Pry was there for 5 years, not 7 - Feldman got that wrong).
some history....
LAFAYETTE, La. -- After five seasons at Louisiana-Lafayette, football coach Rickey Bustle is making changes to his staff.

Bustle on Monday fired offensive coordinator Rob Christophel, defensive coordinator Brent Pry, wide receiver coach Brian Crist and cornerbacks coach Terry Sims.

"The business side of athletics is tough," said Bustle. "It's especially difficult when it comes to decisions about making a difference in a football program, in particular the coaches who have worked extremely hard to build a program and have been loyal and excellent role models to the community, their players and the university."

Christophel, Pry and Crist were all members of Bustle's original staff hired in December 2001. Sims replaced Clay Jennings before the 2005 season after Jennings left to take a position at the University of Houston.

"This change has no reflection on these coaches' character and coaching ability," Bustle said. "Our program is at a point where we need a shot in the arm of new enthusiasm and a change of philosophy."

The Ragin' Cajuns finished last season 6-6; they are 23-35 since Bustle took over.

Both Christophel and Pry were Bustle's original coordinators. Pry was promoted to assistant head coach in 2004.

No timetable has been set on hiring new coaches, but Bustle said the process was under way.

Seems like PSU could pay him more as DC. Just depends if he wants to return south and be a HC I guess.

Always thought with his southern accent he will be gone south at some point.

Any time a coaching job opens people throw out (up?) names that may have had a history or connection hoping one of the many names may be a hit. It's similar to throwing a handful of cow manure on the barn wall knowing some it may stick. Thus the lack of credibility these folks have, Geezz....sorry for the rant.

Wonder who would be considered a replacement though.

I like Pry, no problem keeping him at all. But I dont think its a devastating loss. Spencer is very important but would Pry take him to ULL to be DC?

This is all speculative of course, just something to think about.

some history....
LAFAYETTE, La. -- After five seasons at Louisiana-Lafayette, football coach Rickey Bustle is making changes to his staff.

Bustle on Monday fired offensive coordinator Rob Christophel, defensive coordinator Brent Pry, wide receiver coach Brian Crist and cornerbacks coach Terry Sims.

"The business side of athletics is tough," said Bustle. "It's especially difficult when it comes to decisions about making a difference in a football program, in particular the coaches who have worked extremely hard to build a program and have been loyal and excellent role models to the community, their players and the university."

Christophel, Pry and Crist were all members of Bustle's original staff hired in December 2001. Sims replaced Clay Jennings before the 2005 season after Jennings left to take a position at the University of Houston.

"This change has no reflection on these coaches' character and coaching ability," Bustle said. "Our program is at a point where we need a shot in the arm of new enthusiasm and a change of philosophy."

The Ragin' Cajuns finished last season 6-6; they are 23-35 since Bustle took over.

Both Christophel and Pry were Bustle's original coordinators. Pry was promoted to assistant head coach in 2004.

No timetable has been set on hiring new coaches, but Bustle said the process was under way.

So Pry was fired at ULL? (or U-La-La, as some of their rivals call the school)

Huh.

College coaching is what it is --- the older you get, rarer is the coach who hasn't been fired/dismissed at some point. Part of the business. Still seems weird ULL would look to him if he was once fired from said school though.

Last edited:
Isn't he from Altoona?
yes , went to Buffalo has coached in the South. From my experience, many people from Northern Pittsburgh area on up seem to have an accent one would associate with the south. But that could just be me.

So Pry was fired at ULL? (or U-La-La, as some of their rivals call the school)

Huh.

College coaching is what it is --- the older you get, rarer is the coach who hasn't been fired/dismissed at some point. Part of the business. Still seems weird ULL would look to him if he was once fired from said school though.
they have quite the history, remember the Nelson Stockley era... he and Rex were great friends going back to Clemson, and see how that worked out for Rex....

Rexford Kipps (“Kipps”) was an assistant football coach at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (“USL”) for approximately eleven years.   Kipps's son, Kyle Kipps (“Kyle”), was a talented football player in southern Louisiana.   Kyle was actively recruited by several universities in 1996 and 1997.

In March of 1996, Nelson Stokley (“Stokley”), USL's head football coach, told Kipps that if Kyle did not attend USL, then he was to attend a college or university outside of Louisiana.   Stokley warned Kipps that under no circumstances was Kyle to attend a Louisiana university other than USL.

On February 2, 1997, Kyle notified Stokley that he had orally committed to attend Louisiana State University (“LSU”) on a football scholarship and that this commitment would soon be reduced to writing.   The next day, Stokley advised Kipps that he was to forbid Kyle to memorialize the oral commitment to play football for LSU.   Kipps responded that he would not (indeed, could not) command his son to refuse to reduce the verbal commitment to writing.

Based on Kyle's decision to attend LSU, Stokley terminated Kipps's employment with USL. In a February 20, 1997, letter, Nelson Schexnayder, Jr. (“Schexnayder”), USL Director of Athletics, advised Kipps, based on Stokley's recommendation, that Kipps's employment with USL would be terminated effective June 30, 1997.   Ray Authement (“Authement”), President of USL, was provided with a copy of this letter and subsequently approved Kipps's termination.   Additionally, James Caillier (“Caillier”), President of the Board of Trustees for Louisiana State Colleges and Universities approved Kipps's termination.

On July 22, 1997, plaintiffs instituted an action against Stokley, Schexnayder, Authement and Caillier, in their individual capacities, asserting, inter alia, constitutional claims and Louisiana state law claims.   On August 28, 1997, defendants Stokley, Schexnayder and Authement filed a motion to dismiss pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P. 12(b)(6).   This motion was amended shortly thereafter to add Caillier.

But I usual just make stuff up.

I though Pry stated he had no desire to be a HC and content as a defensive coordinator? Time will tell .

they have quite the history, remember the Nelson Stockley era... he and Rex were great friends going back to Clemson, and see how that worked out for Rex....

Rexford Kipps (“Kipps”) was an assistant football coach at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (“USL”) for approximately eleven years.   Kipps's son, Kyle Kipps (“Kyle”), was a talented football player in southern Louisiana.   Kyle was actively recruited by several universities in 1996 and 1997.

In March of 1996, Nelson Stokley (“Stokley”), USL's head football coach, told Kipps that if Kyle did not attend USL, then he was to attend a college or university outside of Louisiana.   Stokley warned Kipps that under no circumstances was Kyle to attend a Louisiana university other than USL.

On February 2, 1997, Kyle notified Stokley that he had orally committed to attend Louisiana State University (“LSU”) on a football scholarship and that this commitment would soon be reduced to writing.   The next day, Stokley advised Kipps that he was to forbid Kyle to memorialize the oral commitment to play football for LSU.   Kipps responded that he would not (indeed, could not) command his son to refuse to reduce the verbal commitment to writing.

Based on Kyle's decision to attend LSU, Stokley terminated Kipps's employment with USL. In a February 20, 1997, letter, Nelson Schexnayder, Jr. (“Schexnayder”), USL Director of Athletics, advised Kipps, based on Stokley's recommendation, that Kipps's employment with USL would be terminated effective June 30, 1997.   Ray Authement (“Authement”), President of USL, was provided with a copy of this letter and subsequently approved Kipps's termination.   Additionally, James Caillier (“Caillier”), President of the Board of Trustees for Louisiana State Colleges and Universities approved Kipps's termination.

On July 22, 1997, plaintiffs instituted an action against Stokley, Schexnayder, Authement and Caillier, in their individual capacities, asserting, inter alia, constitutional claims and Louisiana state law claims.   On August 28, 1997, defendants Stokley, Schexnayder and Authement filed a motion to dismiss pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P. 12(b)(6).   This motion was amended shortly thereafter to add Caillier.

But I usual just make stuff up.

What the hell! That story is crazy! (and true)

Although, that does explain why Brandon Stokley is the all-time leading receiver (receptions, yards and TDs) in Louisiana-Lafayette/SW Louisiana history. :)

247 has an article up about it. It would be hard for me to believe Pry would leave for that job. His defense is going to be great again next year and he could be in line for some big time jobs then, similar to JM's situation.

That's life at the top. Going to have to get used to it. Means you're doing something right. Hopefully it happens sooner than later if it's going to happen, like the Moorhead move. Smooth transition.

247 has an article up about it. It would be hard for me to believe Pry would leave for that job. His defense is going to be great again next year and he could be in line for some big time jobs then, similar to JM's situation.
IMO, biggest difference is JoeMo was a HC, so he had his own record. Although it was at a lower division, he still was in charge. Pry does not have HC in his back ground, many times it takes a long time for assistants in that situation to move up.

“Great again next year”?

Let’s be very honest, it wasn’t great last year or this year. It certainly played very well at times, but great defenses don’t get burned.....badly burned.....in crunch time in big games.

Well the good news could be that a new DC will put pressure on the Darnolds, Barretts, and Lewerkes of the football world, rather than allowing them to sit in the pocket for 10 seconds and shred the defense in the 4th quarter.

Right there, cost the Nittany Lions a 22-game winning streak and a #1 position going into this year's playoffs.

“Great again next year”?

Let’s be very honest, it wasn’t great last year or this year. It certainly played very well at times, but great defenses don’t get burned.....badly burned.....in crunch time in big games.

Have to agree. And next year could easily go backward before going forward. Great is on its way though....

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Well the good news could be that a new DC will put pressure on the Darnolds, Barretts, and Lewerkes of the football world, rather than allowing them to sit in the pocket for 10 seconds and shred the defense in the 4th quarter.

Right there, cost the Nittany Lions a 22-game winning streak and a #1 position going into this year's playoffs.

If you watched those games, Pry tried to apply pressure at times late, but we weren’t good enough to get home and ended up getting burned.

“Great again next year”?

Franklin should just fire Pry then. Problem solved.

:eek:

Reactions: Sharkies
“Great again next year”?

By that measure there isn't a defense in the country one could consider great. We were top 20 in points allowed last year and top 10 this year. Pretty great, which is why Pry is getting interest from other programs.

Wonder who would be considered a replacement though.

I like Pry, no problem keeping him at all. But I dont think its a devastating loss. Spencer is very important but would Pry take him to ULL to be DC?

This is all speculative of course, just something to think about.

I heard from 2 "viable" sources that the reason Pitt is signing Narduzzi to a 7 year contract is to prevent him from getting the DC position at Penn State.

By that measure there isn't a defense in the country one could consider great. We were top 20 in points allowed last year and top 10 this year. Pretty great, which is why Pry is getting interest from other programs.

So, if you watch the 4th quarter of the Southern Cal, Ohio State, and Michigan State games, you would prefer that to a 22-game winning streak and a current no. 1 rank?

Because those games were winnable. The defense absolutely caved in the 4th quarter of each of those games.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

Now we're just defining elite, great, very good, good, etc.
Overall I was very happy with Pry and I'd be thrilled if he stayed but there obviously were games where our secondary was shredded. The second half against Ohio State we played an incredibly average at best passer (Barrett) look as though he could start in the NFL

Yeah not really buying the “great” tag yet. Might have been different if Brown and Buchholz had remained healthy. Let’s save the great tag for when we really do have a great defense. Shouldn’t be long.

So, if you watch the 4th quarter of the Southern Cal, Ohio State, and Michigan State games, you would prefer that to a 22-game winning streak and a current no. 1 rank?

Because those games were winnable. The defense absolutely caved in the 4th quarter of each of those games.

In two of those cases, offenses loaded with 4&5* talent outplayed a defense with a lot 3&4* talent. Nobody pisses on Nick Saban nor his defensive coordinator for letting Clemson beat them last year nor for Auburn beating them by 12 this year. Why?

Reactions: vops
His defense is going to be great again next year and he could be in line for some big time jobs then, similar to JM's situation.

First you would have to believe PSU's defense was great this year. That might be a bit of a stretch.

Second, PSU is losing 8 key contributors from this year's defense (Campbell, Haley, Apke, Cabinda, Smith, Cothren, Cothran, Chavis). We're getting Reid back but Bowen's status is uncertain. I think it's optimistic to say we're going to be great when we could lose 8 of 11 starters?

I heard from 2 "viable" sources that the reason Pitt is signing Narduzzi to a 7 year contract is to prevent him from getting the DC position at Penn State.

I have no desire to get lit up by any team that can throw the forward pass

Franklin should just fire Pry then. Problem solved.

:eek:
I agree, I have no problem naming Fonzi interim D.C. while a search for the permanent hire is underway. FOR THE GLORY.....

stock-vector-puppy-basset-hound-in-a-blue-handegg-helmet-vector-illustration-630871520.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRoyBiggins
I have heard from multiple viable sources that Bob Shoop is available if Pry leaves. Word is he would work for his buy-out amount. He claims that the stress made him a little crazy, but a couple of years at Tennessee proved to be good therapy and made him realize that PSU was not a hostile workplace. Instead of being at a school that is rebuilding, he now wants to be at a 10 program that has a chance of winning the conference and national championship each year.

Reactions: PSU_1991
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT