ADVERTISEMENT

Breck, Keystone, Summit County condo/lodging help

republion

Mar 24, 2009
We have a group of 4 families heading out to Summit County, CO in January for a ski vacation. We originally rented a nice big ski in / ski out house in Breck to accommodate us all. However, local health restrictions have made it illegal for all of us to stay in the same unit, so we had to cancel the house. We basically need to lodge each family in their own unit, and thought adjoining condos would be the best option.

They do not need to be ski in / ski out, but they do need to be mid to higher end. A hot tub and swimming pool is a requirement. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for any help.

We have a group of 4 families heading out to Summit County, CO in January for a ski vacation. We originally rented a nice big ski in / ski out house in Breck to accommodate us all. However, local health restrictions have made it illegal for all of us to stay in the same unit, so we had to cancel the house. We basically need to lodge each family in their own unit, and thought adjoining condos would be the best option.

They do not need to be ski in / ski out, but they do need to be mid to higher end. A hot tub and swimming pool is a requirement. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for any help.

How did you find out about the ordinance. Who stopped the reservation?

I am going with a group late January and half are renting a large house with two or more families.

LdN

How did you find out about the ordinance. Who stopped the reservation?

I am going with a group late January and half are renting a large house with two or more families.

LdN
At the time, the told us only 2 families could stay in same unit. But they were confident the ordinance would expire before the start of our trip. However, as it turns out, the ordinance got harsher since they restrict places to 1 family now. I’ll try to find the ordinance.

We stopped the reservation. We didn’t want to get screwed looking for single family units for 4 families at the last minute.

At the time, the told us only 2 families could stay in same unit. But they were confident the ordinance would expire before the start of our trip. However, as it turns out, the ordinance got harsher since they restrict places to 1 family now. I’ll try to find the ordinance.

We stopped the reservation. We didn’t want to get screwed looking for single family units for 4 families at the last minute.

State or local?

Thanks for the info

State or local?

Thanks for the info
I believe state. That specific area has been deemed a red zone.

In addition, gatherings outside your household are not permitted, and short term lodging occupancy is limited to one household per unit. Please follow these protocols in place to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

Summit county just reopened restaurants. You may want to dig more into this over the next week or so.

Summit county just reopened restaurants. You may want to dig more into this over the next week or so.
Dining is limited inside restaurants. Restaurants that achieve the Summit County 5 Star certification demonstrating they are going above and beyond the requirements in the local public health order to mitigate the spread of the virus are allowed to offer indoor dining at 25% capacity. All restaurants are offering curbside and take out services.

I believe state. That specific area has been deemed a red zone.

In addition, gatherings outside your household are not permitted, and short term lodging occupancy is limited to one household per unit. Please follow these protocols in place to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Did you book the house/unit through a rental agency or through the owners?

Colorado vacation occupancy limits are generally administered at the county level, but can be modified (further restricted) at the municipality level.

That said, there are work-arounds especially if you’re dealing directly with the owners. If you’re booking through an agent, it is a tad more difficult, but not impossible

Stay Home?

Did you book the house/unit through a rental agency or through the owners?

Colorado vacation occupancy limits are generally administered at the county level, but can be modified (further restricted) at the municipality level.

That said, there are work-arounds especially if you’re dealing directly with the owners. If you’re booking through an agent, it is a tad more difficult, but not impossible
We had booked through an agency. We could probably get away with all of us staying there, but there are people in the group that hold licenses in their respective fields and don’t want to risk a nonsensical arrest because some nosey buttinski complained about too many people in a rental house.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

Adjoining will be tough. Look at Beaver Run or Main Street Station. I prefer MSS - short walk to slopes and in town location. Hot tubs and shared pool.

Reactions: republion
out here in tahoe a lot of the property management companies cancelled all short term rentals for the next few weeks. The condos at the resort were nearly empty.

Adjoining will be tough. Look at Beaver Run or Main Street Station. I prefer MSS - short walk to slopes and in town location. Hot tubs and shared pool.
I guess they don’t need to be adjoining, but at least in the same complex. I’ll check out those locations. Thanks.

Slopes were not too bad. You had to make reservations beforehand. However, lines took a bit longer since they don't really mix and match from lines to expedite due to Covid.

This is probably not the year to take a ski vacation to Colorado. Apparently, they change the COVID rules out there on a whim, so even if you book according to the rules today, they may decide that the ski areas or restaurants are going to close tomorrow. Best of luck, but maybe Utah is a better option this year.

Slopes were not too bad. You had to make reservations beforehand. However, lines took a bit longer since they don't really mix and match from lines to expedite due to Covid.
Yah, we have reservations for our days on the slopes in CO.

This is probably not the year to take a ski vacation to Colorado. Apparently, they change the COVID rules out there on a whim, so even if you book according to the rules today, they may decide that the ski areas or restaurants are going to close tomorrow. Best of luck, but maybe Utah is a better option this year.
Well, we are pushing through regardless. Too late to change it to new locale.

Leaving on Sunday for breck with another family. We are ignoring the rule.

If you are still looking for a places, you may want to try Pine Ridge Condos. They are at the base of 4 o clock run where 4 o clock road meets South Park Av. Easy access to lifts and only about a 5 min walk to downtown. We stayed there for 4 days in summer 19. Loved it. I think they have 1 and 2 bedroom units. We stayed in 1 bedroom, 2 bath and it had a pullout couch in living room. Tons of spaces. Would probably meet the county restrictions.

My son and his fiancé and a few of her friends leased a house in Summit only to cancel back in March.

They decided to lease again for late January.

There is a ton of info on line. Note-

Restaurant service indoors is very limited. No service to people from multiple households.

$5000 fine if you share accommodations with anyone from another household.

If you get symptoms you are quarantined, tested, etc for 14 days at your expense.

Get sick and you get traced. You will be found out.

I told him to cancel, but he wants to wait.

Yes, Summit is severely impacted and zoned red, but Aspen is worse. They require screen testing and quarantine. So know Summit County can get stricter.

I spoke to a woman on the Colorado Tourism 800 number. Very helpful and she did no sugar coating.

I guess they don’t need to be adjoining, but at least in the same complex. I’ll check out those locations. Thanks.

We've stayed at Beaver Run in the summer. (We are not skiers.) I think it is a lot bigger than MSS, but MSS is in a really neat little corner of town. Beaver Run is at the bottom of a slope at the southern end of town and would be more convenient for skiing, but a walk up the hill from town. The cable car to the main slopes is a short loop bus ride from either location.

Being in town is nice but the restaurants are expensive and might not even be open. If you're cooking the grocery store is close but is at the northern end of town. Bus service is convenient to anywhere near town, including to the nearby towns to the north. You will drive through these if coming from Denver.

Breckenridge is a paradise town. The stream flowing through its center is a lot like Vail, which is even more expensive. Staying in Frisco, Dillon, or Keystone would be cheaper, but not nearly as nice in the winter. All depends on what you are willing to spend. Frisco does have a somewhat larger town for browsing shops, but again, these might be closed due to Covid.

I hope you aren’t skiing Vail for at least a day. Stay out of gondolas lol. Pack lunch and put in locker and eat outside. I would imagine plenty of room for slopes especially at vail. Try local rentals or craigslist to see who may Be renting a house out etc. more under the radar with that. I wouldn’t worry about eating out for dinner as you can eat at your house and have more fun than 25 percent seating and parties less than 6 at one table. We were Just in vail in Jan/February before all of this got out of hand.

Have you looked at the Grand Timber Lodge in Breck? It might meet all of your requirements.

Buddy has a ski house in Frisco and skis Winter Park pretty much every weekend. He said that have done a pretty good on covid restrictions. He feels safe skiing there and he is definitely on the side that believes Covid is very real and takes all precautions in his life.

I hope you aren’t skiing Vail for at least a day. Stay out of gondolas lol. Pack lunch and put in locker and eat outside. I would imagine plenty of room for slopes especially at vail. Try local rentals or craigslist to see who may Be renting a house out etc. more under the radar with that. I wouldn’t worry about eating out for dinner as you can eat at your house and have more fun than 25 percent seating and parties less than 6 at one table. We were Just in vail in Jan/February before all of this got out of hand.
If you ski Vail the gondolas can easily be avoided. Start your day at Lionshead (lift 8) or Golden Peak (lift 6) and you can get anywhere you want without using the Gondola. If you end up in Vail Village you will either have to take Gondola one or get on the bus to Lionshead or Golden peak. Don't forget to make reservations. If you want to eat indoors I think you have to make a reservation for space. I'm pretty sure that's still the case. We haven't done that.

This season we always start at lift 8, in previous years if there is a line for the Lionshead gondola it's always better to take lift 8.

Game Creek, Sundown and Sun Up are the only bowls with some terrain open as of today.

Have fun and be safe.

If you ski Vail the gondolas can easily be avoided. Start your day at Lionshead (lift 8) or Golden Peak (lift 6) and you can get anywhere you want without using the Gondola. If you end up in Vail Village you will either have to take Gondola one or get on the bus to Lionshead or Golden peak. Don't forget to make reservations. If you want to eat indoors I think you have to make a reservation for space. I'm pretty sure that's still the case. We haven't done that.

This season we always start at lift 8, in previous years if there is a line for the Lionshead gondola it's always better to take lift 8.

Game Creek, Sundown and Sun Up are the only bowls with some terrain open as of today.

Have fun and be safe.
I was making a joke silly.
We found a nice way to get up that was faster than on the left if you are staying on the right or taking the bus/shuttle. Cascade village lift. Shuttle or walk and you get right on every time with no one there. Plus it is the first stop for shuttle. We used that for getting up and getting down and out Been to Vail twenty Times and finally found that lift, lol.

I was making a joke silly.
We found a nice way to get up that was faster than on the left if you are staying on the right or taking the bus/shuttle. Cascade village lift. Shuttle or walk and you get right on every time with no one there. Plus it is the first stop for shuttle. We used that for getting up and getting down and out Been to Vail twenty Times and finally found that lift, lol.
Yes that's a great way up if you are bringing your equipment to the mountain. Our locker is in Lionshead so we usually go up 8, especially this year. This is our 7th full season here. It's a fun mountain and no matter how crowded there are places to go where there are no lift lines. Pretty sure they are getting killed this year with Covid, especially the ski school and dining which bring in huge bucks. They took a big hit last season when they closed on Mar 15. Hopefully they can stay open.

Just returned from Breck. Stayed in a townhouse with another family--no issues whatsoever. Top of mountain was closed, which kind of stunk, but I'm getting older so not a big deal. Lift lines were pretty long in many cases. Went to bars, restaurants, shopping in town. Flights full. Negative Covid test upon return. All good.

Just returned from Breck. Stayed in a townhouse with another family--no issues whatsoever. Top of mountain was closed, which kind of stunk, but I'm getting older so not a big deal. Lift lines were pretty long in many cases. Went to bars, restaurants, shopping in town. Flights full. Negative Covid test upon return. All good.
Thanks for update. I know that backed off from Red Alert to Orange. Now you can legally have up to 10 people from 2 different families in a rental house or gathering.

ADVERTISEMENT