ADVERTISEMENT

Football BREAKING: Manny Diaz hired as Penn State's defensive coordinator

Ok, if you say so. 🙄
Not salty...just the truth. He's not known as a great recruiter. Our recruiting fell off a cliff here in 2021. No local recruits wanted to even look at Miami. Never seen anything like it. That will change BIG TIME with Mario Cristobal.👍🏼

Not salty...just the truth. He's not known as a great recruiter. Our recruiting fell off a cliff here in 2021. No local recruits wanted to even look at Miami. Never seen anything like it. That will change BIG TIME with Mario Cristobal.👍🏼
I was really impressed with Cristobal's coaching against Utah this year.

• Haha
Reactions: RGWhirly

Yes last year's class (2021) Miami had the best class in the state of FL, keeping most of the South FL kids 15 top players. A lot of that was because of the pandemic and recruits were staying home. This year....Miami has all of 1 south FL commitment and that was from 10 days ago. Recruiting fell off a cliff. Diaz is not well liked at some key south FL schools. Hell he even pissed off a former Cane (Earl Little) so much that his son who's a top CB wasn't even considering his dad's alma mater. Mario made his home the 1st stop once he was introduced as head coach.

I liked Manny's aggressive D but they were not great in some key areas - 3rd down and red zone. Also tackling was just horrible at times. Maybe he puts it back together now that the pressure of being a head coach (and in a town you grew up and your father was the Mayor) is off his back. We wanted him to succeed obviously but it was a bad hire from the beginning. Diaz should have gotten his experience being a HC at Temple and not thrown right into a big time program with big time expectations.

Wish Manny Diaz the best and good luck.

I was really impressed with Cristobal's coaching against Utah this year.

Will take our chances. Yes Utah certainly had their number. Oregon was 4-8 and 7-6 before Cristobal was HC. Then 9-4, 12-2 (PAC 12 Champ and Rose Bowl win), 4-3, 10-3. Recruiting...ranking before Mario was #25, #18, #13....with Cristobal as head coach #7, #9, #3.

Yes last year's class (2021) Miami had the best class in the state of FL, keeping most of the South FL kids 15 top players. A lot of that was because of the pandemic and recruits were staying home. This year....Miami has all of 1 south FL commitment and that was from 10 days ago. Recruiting fell off a cliff. Diaz is not well liked at some key south FL schools. Hell he even pissed off a former Cane (Earl Little) so much that his son who's a top CB wasn't even considering his dad's alma mater. Mario made his home the 1st stop once he was introduced as head coach.

I liked Manny's aggressive D but they were not great in some key areas - 3rd down and red zone. Also tackling was just horrible at times. Maybe he puts it back together now that the pressure of being a head coach (and in a town you grew up and your father was the Mayor) is off his back. We wanted him to succeed obviously but it was a bad hire from the beginning. Diaz should have gotten his experience being a HC at Temple and not thrown right into a big time program with big time expectations.

The Canes need to find a coach that won't bow down to your lettermen that want to pretend they are still in their hey day and want control. I see people here all the time that want any decent alumni as a coach or around the program....and there is a reason why smart coaches keep most at an arms length.

Reactions: marshall23
Sean Lee needs to be prowling the sidelines of Beaver Stadium. I know you said "most", Sean Lee is not "most".

You can thank your dysfunctional administration for the fall off in recruiting this year. Nobody was going to commit unless they knew who the coach was going to be. Even if Cristobal is a significantly better head coach than Diaz (open to debate IMO) I think Miami has a ways to go before it is anything close to the juggernaut it used to be. Maybe the new AD can help in terms of showing how it was done at Clemson, but the change is not going to happen immediately and you have an unrealistic fan base, including former players. I'm not sure if Cristobal is the coach whose team beat Ohio State in Columbus or the coach who got embarrassed by Utah twice in three weeks. I credit Joe Moorhead for the Ohio State win more than Cristobal until I see evidence to the contrary. My prediction is that in 3 or 4 years you'll be looking to fire Cristobal, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT