ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Dalton Perry commits to PSU

Now we're complaining about commitments from top wrestlers?? Life is good.
Because we want to be challenged at the NCAA with the not-so-elite recruits. Because we're not going to get that from Iowa anymore.

I know a lot of kids who basically decided on college by around his age, whether it's because parents went there or they were ambitious very early in life and had goals (Ivy League schools) or they just knew it was what made financial sense (the local state school) None of these kids were athletes even.

I remember watching the Cary Kolat Flo documentary. He said that by the time his sophomore year was over in High School, he really would have liked to have moved on. Thirty years later, the young people have options that were not available then.

Man just cant please some of you, starting to sound like a few on HR. Granted its a little earlier for a commitment, but kid is elite for his age group. Not like he won a title at 106/113 as freshman. If you don’t understand that then no helping you.

I thought he was considered elite by many almost through his hs career but tailed off his Senior year after taking some losses. I could be misremembering tho. I’m almost certain he was #1 at his weight at one point.
Not going to go back and research this, but this is how I remember it also. Elite, #1 type guy then took a couple of losses JR year, and then SR year did not have the look of an elite guy.

I thought he was considered elite by many almost through his hs career but tailed off his Senior year after taking some losses. I could be misremembering tho. I’m almost certain he was #1 at his weight at one point.
You probably right. I was going on memory. But I also remember some sentiments on the message board were mixed when he first committed.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I don't understand some people poopooing this commitment.

There's literally no downside to him committing to PSU right now. None. From either side. If a better offer comes along, he can take it. If a better wrestler comes along, PSU can say thanks but no thanks.

So the natural question then is, "Why did he feel the need to commit now then?" I would imagine his thinking goes like this:

I have what is developing into the wrestling capital of America 30 minutes from my house, closer than some kids probably have to drive to get to his high school every day. OF COURSE I PLAN TO GO THERE.

….and a girl under each street light during deer season in the 60’s.
Both of them???
giphy.gif

All part of the grand scheme. Some guys use M2 sporatically, not Dalton. He (and Levi, along with many others in Cael’s radar) are loyal M2 guys, this wasnt a surprise AT ALL.

Great Choice young man, now bring 4 or 5 more just like you,with you.

There is really no reason to commit this early.

Neither side is bound by it. So the word committed isn't real, at all.

No discussion of schollie can be discussed at this juncture.

Dalton very well could grow into a log jam.

A new log jam could emerge that isnt seen at this time because of transfers, new studs emerge, etc.

Everyone remembers Haines......well if someone else comes along, we know cael will not close the door.

If he wants to go to psu and wants other coaches to leave him alone going forward, I'm all for it. Have at it young buck.

But im also reminded that there was a backyard fire in montoursville that is hard to forget.

Generally I ignore prospects until their junior year since too much can change in their elitness, their bodies and their minds.

This is one rare instance where a 9th grade commitment makes total sense, and it should survive the test of time.

On our side we will now follow his HS career even more closely. There is no real downside. I don't see his body changing too much, and with it his potential the way it did with tall & lanky Busiello.

Just think of it. The kid lives a stones throw from SC, has been training in M2, and probably from the first time he laced up a pair of wrestling shoes, he has watched the local team win national championships. His whole career, PSU has been the pinnacle of collegiate athletics. I am sure he loves the football team as well.

Just imagine if he had come out comitting somewhere else, now that would fire up this board.

Welcome Dalton!!!!

Last edited:
Given Dalton's youth, all of the views in this thread have some merit imo. I'm sure this was exciting for Dalton and his parents, but he's still only 15 years old or so.

My hope is that he enjoys being a kid for now, doesn't lose the fire for wrestling, stays healthy and continues to improve. Of these, staying healthy and enjoy being a kid are the most important.

There is really no reason to commit this early.

Neither side is bound by it. So the word committed isn't real, at all.

No discussion of schollie can be discussed at this juncture.

Dalton very well could grow into a log jam.

A new log jam could emerge that isnt seen at this time because of transfers, new studs emerge, etc.

Everyone remembers Haines......well if someone else comes along, we know cael will not close the door.

If he wants to go to psu and wants other coaches to leave him alone going forward, I'm all for it. Have at it young buck.

But im also reminded that there was a backyard fire in montoursville that is hard to forget.

As a PSU fan I love to see a talented recruit choose Penn State. But as someone more sympathetically inclined to the less leveraged party in any negotiation, perhaps because that's who typically retains me, I wince a little when I see someone artificially eliminating their options when there's no need to do so. There's just no benefit to "committing" at that age when the word has practically no meaning.

As a PSU fan I love to see a talented recruit choose Penn State. But as someone more sympathetically inclined to the less leveraged party in any negotiation, perhaps because that's who typically retains me, I wince a little when I see someone eliminating their options when there's no need to do so. There's just no benefit to "committing" at that age when the word has practically no meaning.
Maybe he shook on it,does that mean anything anymore?

As a PSU fan I love to see a talented recruit choose Penn State. But as someone more sympathetically inclined to the less leveraged party in any negotiation, perhaps because that's who typically retains me, I wince a little when I see someone artificially eliminating their options when there's no need to do so. There's just no benefit to "committing" at that age when the word has practically no meaning.
Less leveraged party, eh:

I’ll admit, I was wrong about him. I thought he was going to be a very good college wrestler.

Yes, I know you're kidding, but I'm compelled to point out that with respect to contract formation, there's probably nothing less enforceable and valid than a handshake with a minor.
There's dibs..

Cael has said multiple times that they are very interested in kids who really want to be part of Penn State Wrestling. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to grow as wrestler, with passion for the sport, what better way to demonstrate your your desire to be part of the team, than to commit now and get it behind you. If your motivation is to play the field and go to the highest bidder, then Penn State is probably not for you.

Last edited:
Good for Dalton, he gets some notoriety from his commitment, no reason to rain on his parade. He is a very promising young wrestler being trained by David Taylor, future looks bright for him.

That being said, he has three more years of high school, he could change his mind. Cael has not talked money with him and probably cannot for a few more years. Then there is always the possibility that Cael has a Thomas Haines conversation with him too. A lot can happen.

No harm with Dalton committing to PSU. As far as reaching his goals, his announcement is probably a good thing. Experts say that publicly announcing a goal can help you reach it, provides a lot of motivation to not fail.

I’m a bit surprised this even became a big todo. There’s nothing binding he or the school, so for now it’s just an announcement of intent so you take it as just that. I think everyone assumed that if Perry progressed how many expect through HS that he’d end up at PSU, so this is just putting words to that.

lol. i'll be honest, i see all the questions on here asking 'why so soon?' and Hockey God nailed it.

i mean, what the hell yall curmudgeons think? he wants to go to penn state. he lives in the shadow of the university, his mother works for the university, he's trained with david taylor, and in case you missed it, penn state is in the midst of a dynasty.

i'm shocked you're shocked.

Just saw 145lb PA AAA state champ Ty Watters committed awhile back to wvu. Obviously not on psu’s level or radar but what do ya think about this kid? El Jefe have anything on him?

lol. i'll be honest, i see all the questions on here asking 'why so soon?' and Hockey God nailed it.

i mean, what the hell yall curmudgeons think? he wants to go to penn state. he lives in the shadow of the university, his mother works for the university, he's trained with david taylor, and in case you missed it, penn state is in the midst of a dynasty.

i'm shocked you're shocked.
Some people can't simply be happy for him.

ADVERTISEMENT