ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Dalton Perry commits to PSU

With Perry committing can the coaches even talk to him yet? Like about what kind of scholarship he’s looking at and stuff like that or no? I know football offers 12 year olds now lol. Didn’t know what the rule was, if any, for wrestling.

Just saw 145lb PA AAA state champ Ty Watters committed awhile back to wvu. Obviously not on psu’s level or radar but what do ya think about this kid? El Jefe have anything on him?
Talented but needs to be more consistent if he wants to be a college AA.

Nice pickup for WVU. Better still if it helps bring them teammate Shawn Taylor.

Last edited:
Close sources say Perry will forego his next 3 years of PIAA and train with M2 and NLWC. Then take a redshirt year followed by Olmlympic redshirt. Expectations are to be polished and shined by 2028 for NCAA action

Reactions: Raw Daddy
I don't understand some people poopooing this commitment.

There's literally no downside to him committing to PSU right now. None. From either side. If a better offer comes along, he can take it. If a better wrestler comes along, PSU can say thanks but no thanks.

So the natural question then is, "Why did he feel the need to commit now then?" I would imagine his thinking goes like this:

I have what is developing into the wrestling capital of America 30 minutes from my house, closer than some kids probably have to drive to get to his high school every day. OF COURSE I PLAN TO GO THERE.
Can I flip this argument on its head… assume all what you said is true, which I totally agree with. Cael gets down to crunch time with managing 9.9 scholarships. You have a kid who committed to Penn State prior to even be recruited and offered. Why give him 100%, he wants to be there based on all the things you said? No one is questioning his ability, it’s just the need to do it. You’ve now lost all leverage.

Close sources say Perry will forego his next 3 years of PIAA and train with M2 and NLWC. Then take a redshirt year followed by Olmlympic redshirt. Expectations are to be polished and shined by 2028 for NCAA action
We've got a secret fund to support our athletes that go this route. Would you like to contribute?

Reactions: Ski and LOTOlion
With Perry committing can the coaches even talk to him yet? Like about what kind of scholarship he’s looking at and stuff like that or no? I know football offers 12 year olds now lol. Didn’t know what the rule was, if any, for wrestling.
June 15 next year.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez
Can I flip this argument on its head… assume all what you said is true, which I totally agree with. Cael gets down to crunch time with managing 9.9 scholarships. You have a kid who committed to Penn State prior to even be recruited and offered. Why give him 100%, he wants to be there based on all the things you said? No one is questioning his ability, it’s just the need to do it. You’ve now lost all leverage.
He may not need as much of a scholarship as some may think. He is in state AND his mother works at PSU. That's quite a reduced cost from jump street.

Willie just said his mom works for the university. i assume this qualifies him for discounted tuition. I'm sure he and his family aren't worried about scholarship money if PSU is his dream school. Congrats to PSU you get a top flight recruit without costing scholarship money. I feel like most of the disappointment on this board is b.c everyone got their hopes up for Shapiro - (my money for the second recruit is on McGowan)

Reactions: hlstone
Further comment, I’d be excited if Bassetts announced they loved Penn State because optically it would just seem like we dominate
the recruiting front, but with so many injuries, kids changing mind, not developing, etc. I just feel eh with all of this.
check out what they are wearing in just about every family photo, i'd say PSU is at the top of their list

Reactions: Sullivan
Some people can't simply be happy for him.
giphy.gif

lol. i'll be honest, i see all the questions on here asking 'why so soon?' and Hockey God nailed it.

i mean, what the hell yall curmudgeons think? he wants to go to penn state. he lives in the shadow of the university, his mother works for the university, he's trained with david taylor, and in case you missed it, penn state is in the midst of a dynasty.

i'm shocked you're shocked.
These are people who, hypothetically, would be hit on by Charlize Theron and have second thoughts because she may be a little too tall for them

Talented but needs to be more consistent if he wants to be a college AA.

Nice pickup for WVU. Better still if it helps bring them the younger Watters.
Thanks for the info!! Didn’t know he had a brother. Do ya mind telling me his first name so I can look him up? Lol
I knew he had an older brother at west liberty

rarely, if ever, does anyone get a full ride.

I was thinking of Shawn Taylor and forgot to look up the name. Will fix the earlier post.
One time I wish I had Flo. Just googled Shawn Taylor and the first video that pops up his him vs Gage Wright a Park South Wv kid that wvu has to be after.
After hearing what Flynn offered Amos tho I’m not optimistic lol.
Thanks for all the info

His mom and my wife were texting last night. The kid is 100% with his decision. Has known for years where he wanted to go. Why string it out at this point. He and they are absolutely thrilled.
Exactly.

It is really just a formality at this point I am sure.
As a PSU fan I love to see a talented recruit choose Penn State. But as someone more sympathetically inclined to the less leveraged party in any negotiation, perhaps because that's who typically retains me, I wince a little when I see someone artificially eliminating their options when there's no need to do so. There's just no benefit to "committing" at that age when the word has practically no meaning.
1. Who said anything about money? (Serious question- I didn’t read through all the thread since I last posted)

2. Why assume he lost all (or any) leverage?

Cael is running the closest thing NCAA sports has seen since the Wooden UCLA teams. He’s got all of the leverage in just about any situation he wants to have it in.

But I think we’re all reading into this more than it is. There’s no commitment from either party here, it’s really just a superficial declaration that’s completely unbinding. Having said that, I think that Perry 100% plans on attending and the family figured this was an artifact to point to in order to say “you’re wasting time here. Going to PSU unless told we’re not invited”.

Given Dalton's youth, all of the views in this thread have some merit imo. I'm sure this was exciting for Dalton and his parents, but he's still only 15 years old or so.

My hope is that he enjoys being a kid for now, doesn't lose the fire for wrestling, stays healthy and continues to improve. Of these, staying healthy and enjoy being a kid are the most important.
I actually think this allows him to actually be a kid for the rest of high school. He isn’t going to have to go through a stressful recruitment and can really just enjoy the rest of high school. If he is as 100% committed as it sounds than coaches will probably not put in time trying to change his mind. Makes sense to me why he committed. Kids change their minds all the time but I don’t see that happening in this case.

If his mom works at the school, he might not need a scholarship anyways. Major employee discounts available I believe. Anything else, the slush fund will cover 😜

Exactly.

It is really just a formality at this point I am sure.

1. Who said anything about money? (Serious question- I didn’t read through all the thread since I last posted)

2. Why assume he lost all (or any) leverage?

Cael is running the closest thing NCAA sports has seen since the Wooden UCLA teams. He’s got all of the leverage in just about any situation he wants to have it in.

But I think we’re all reading into this more than it is. There’s no commitment from either party here, it’s really just a superficial declaration that’s completely unbinding. Having said that, I think that Perry 100% plans on attending and the family figured this was an artifact to point to in order to say “you’re wasting time here. Going to PSU unless told we’re not invited”.
Wooden had Sam Gilbert. Coach K has NIKE. Who does Cael have?

I actually think this allows him to actually be a kid for the rest of high school. He isn’t going to have to go through a stressful recruitment and can really just enjoy the rest of high school. If he is as 100% committed as it sounds than coaches will probably not put in time trying to change his mind. Makes sense to me why he committed. Kids change their minds all the time but I don’t see that happening in this case.
I agree. I'm sure he will still get a handful of phone calls though. Coaches wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't.

Worst case scenario is he goes to PSU for 75 percent off and doesn't wrestle at all in college. Best case is Cael gets a hammer for next to no cost to his 9.9.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
lol. i'll be honest, i see all the questions on here asking 'why so soon?' and Hockey God nailed it.

i mean, what the hell yall curmudgeons think? he wants to go to penn state. he lives in the shadow of the university, his mother works for the university, he's trained with david taylor, and in case you missed it, penn state is in the midst of a dynasty.

i'm shocked you're shocked.

Ahh a tidbit I missed previously.

"his mother works for the university"

If true, don't dependents of University employees get either a significantly lower tuition or free ride? Ahh the smell of a blue chip with minimal hit to the 9.9 smacks of bacon, eggs and a pancake in the morning. Yum.

Someone in the know pls confirm?

Edit - update - sorry I was still reading page 2 when I wrote this

ADVERTISEMENT