ADVERTISEMENT

Football BREAKING: Board of Trustees Set for Tuesday Meeting

From the outside looking in I have watched two PSU games this year and I don’t get it. The oline is not very good. Is PSU elite? Well there is no other school on the eastern seaboard that could match PSU. The irony is that I always believed that Paterno coaches for the love of the game. I know you guys can’t stand Narduzzi but he reminds more of Paterno, coaching in a place he likes as opposed to a coach looking for more money.
It should be pretty obvious that I dislike the acceleration into the absurd that college football has become with the predictions for a narrow playoff roster consuming the preseason and much of the season, players earning endorsements beyond their coaches' compensation before stepping on campus or playing a down, and overused excuse that 'facilities' need upgraded....sounds too much like the military budget.
If there was any significant hint of coaching for the love of it with any of our post-Paterno hires, these stay/go, extension, and 'give me what I need to win' discussions would be where they should be, between the coach and the administration....I think for some of Paterno's time at Penn State, he didn't even have a written contract, pretty much an annual hand shake.
Personally, I feel much of what is needed to win consistently is already there, much of what remains can be addressed by coaching and strategy, a maybe more of a coach/teacher-player relationship.
Even with the 'we reload not rebuild' bravado mentality, college football is a lot about steady and consistent improvement over the course of the season into and up to the bowl game AND the gap between the team and its opponents should not widen throughout the season...neither has been there for much of both BOB's and Franklin's time here...We play Ohio State and Michigan late in our schedule and I see a consistent widening of the gap in player development..injuries didn't help this year as depth was a problem.
I do think the team will remain close with or without more money....it will just remain to be seen if 'THIS' happen, will it be the last 'EXCUSE".

James Franklin said after Sunday's win over Rutgers that he would talk about more about his pending contract situation at Tuesday's media availability. Now, according to the Penn State Board of Trustees website, the board's subcommittee on compensation is set to also meet on Tuesday for an impromptu meeting, having just meet in person on Nov. 11. No agenda is listed for the meeting, but it last held a virtual session in March to discuss the hiring of Penn State men's basketball coach Micah Shrewsberry.
Well at very least it doesn't seem right for him to be paid at a Harbaugh or Ryan Day level. The pay level should be appropriate for 3rd or fourth place in the B1G East.

That said, they need to do these extensions for recruiting. Has nothing to do with Franklin, has to do with getting recruits to stay committed.

If true, this is just outrageous. How much is enough? I'm so damn sick of coaches begging for more money every 2 years when they just got a 5 year contract extension. Perform, execute, and win something significant before putting your hand out for more.

You can negotiate for more than just salary. I'm in the middle of doing it (not at Franklins level) but my team desperately needs two more heads and some other resources as what’s been provided isn’t adequate the to meet expectations. One's already been approved and I'm still making a business case for the other two. If I don’t get them I have an offer elsewhere that I’m probably taking once I use my paternity leave.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Well at very least it doesn't seem right for him to be paid at a Harbaugh or Ryan Day level. The pay level should be appropriate for 3rd or fourth place in the B1G East.

That said, they need to do these extensions for recruiting. Has nothing to do with Franklin, has to do with getting recruits to stay committed.
Big time coach contracts are like NFL QB contracts, I’m sure in 2-3 years we won’t be thinking of it in the same way. Also, he’s largely outperformed Harbaugh in their tenures before this year.

Reactions: marshall23

Franklins Big Ten Results > Harbaughs

More division titles, big ten titles, ny6 appearances and ny6 wins and overall wins.

Harbaugh needs to win his next two games to surpass them. Check back in when he’s beaten osu, won the ccg and secured a playoff spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Big time coach contracts are like NFL QB contracts, I’m sure in 2-3 years we won’t be thinking of it in the same way. Also, he’s largely outperformed Harbaugh in their tenures before this year.
Are you serious? Do you not know the PSU fan base? Our fans will be holding this contract - whatever it is - over his head every single time the team loses a game.

Are you serious? Do you not know the PSU fan base? Our fans will be holding this contract - whatever it is - over his head every single time the team loses a game.
Okay, fair, when I say “we” I mean people who actually pay attention to things like that in context.

I am sorry what about our facilities are lacking? From the pictures below the football offices look amazing!

The locker room looks like a Star Wars Star Destroyer!

The weight room and rehab pools look like a 5 star spa!

Franklin's office looks bigger than the house I grew up in of course minus the beautiful outdoor terrace and fire pits that he has right off his office!

The players lounge looks like the best Dave and Buster's arcade in the country!

I couldn't get a picture of the new 24hr player snack bar where players can get all sorts of food and protein powder drinks anytime they want for free!

Where are PSU facilities "lacking" aside for some upgrades at the stadium that recruits don't give a crap about? We don't have a slide or a lazy river through the entire football complex!! Come on. Cut the crap and PLAY FOOTBALL!!! The players have a dream environment at LASCH. I remember talking to some old NFL players from the 70-80s and they told me they had 5-6 pegs and a shelf to hang there clothes on and a folding chair! That was it and they could play tough football without a slide and pinball machines!! Focus on winning football games!!

Player dorms is one I hear mentioned a lot and that would be a spot where players spend a ton of time and could be a big deal on the recruiting trail. Training tables and recovery items is another. I think we still have traditional cold tubs where some top programs now have cryotherapy and sensory deprivation tanks and the like. Also despite some weight room upgrades under O'Brien I've heard we are still way behind the other top programs there.

I've also read somewhere that Bama has something like 14 "analyst" positions that are filled with former coaches from all over. IIRC, I saw PSU has 2-3 such positions. I think Venebles gets 1.5M a year as Clemson's DC. As such, they've been able to keep one of the best assistant coaches on their staff. PSU has been losing coordinators to other jobs and we lack coaching consistency. These are all parts of the investment that Franklin is likely seeking.

Last edited:
Franklins Big Ten Results > Harbaughs

More division titles, big ten titles, ny6 appearances and ny6 wins and overall wins.

Harbaugh needs to win his next two games to surpass them. Check back in when he’s beaten osu, won the ccg and secured a playoff spot.
Seriously ….. Harbaugh has never finished above third in the Big ten East. Even this year, with his best team ever, his likely finish is third in the East.

So? I doubt it keeps Franklin awake at night. You are worth the money if someone is willing to pay you. If the BOT didn't want CJF......they could let him go. Fan boys trying to set his monetary value are just pissing into the wind.

Reactions: RGWhirly
While I imagine Franklin is getting a pay raise, this is less about the individually salary and more about Penn State making assurances to Franklin about future investment in the program. If fans want a true contender, this should be something they're happy about.
BINGO. It always has been since he’s been here. Saw an interesting interview with Allar from October 29th where he said he talks with Franklin and Yurcich twice a week and said Franklin is committed to the program but hey what would he know?

ADVERTISEMENT