ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Quote

Wpial Bigot

Jan 25, 2011
Got this from trackwrestling. Albeit a huge PSU fan, I have a lot of respect for Brands. Found this quote funny.

“We knew we were going to have to weather that storm and it unraveled in a hurry,” Brands said.

“If you want some light humor, that crowd was relentless behind us and some guy looks at me after the first (pin) at 174 and says, ‘It’s going to be a long night.’ Then after the second (pin) at 184, I turned around, looked at him and said, ‘It’s not going to be a long night anymore.’"

The entire article can be found at: http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=467249132

I also do not like when they go down the mat, but that was based on the assumption that it was not allowed and they got away with it. Someone posted on Twitter, I think in response to a Willie Tweet, that the new rules allow it for duals.
If true, still don't really like it, but it is not against the rules.

I had media credentials for a couple of Nationals. My first impression was that Brands was nuts and John Smith was a whiner as I heard and saw his antics. Brands has grown on me, he is just intense. Terry goes over the top, but all sports needs characters and he definitely qualifies. I can handle TNT but the whining from Smith still bugs me.

I personally love watching them both. They have a passion for competition that is standard deviations from the norm!

That's one way to look at it. I look at it like they (more Terry now than Tom) behave like children, not adults. But no one reigned them in (I'm thinking of Gable when they wrestled under him at Iowa), so it's not entirely their fault.

Reactions: VRE
That's one way to look at it. I look at it like they (more Terry now than Tom) behave like children, not adults. But no one reigned them in (I'm thinking of Gable when they wrestled under him at Iowa), so it's not entirely their fault.
Nothing but hot air. Have you ever met the Brands? Gable? Have you even been to Iowa?

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Took my nephew to an Iowa match. TnT were around after... my nephew (10 at the time) says to Tom (I knew by the haircut) "are you Tom or Terry?" Tom says "I am the better looking one"... smiles and signs some headgear.

What we see on TV during competition should be taken with a grain of salt.

I equate TnT Brands to Dale Earnhardt. I'll catch flack for this but I was always a Jeff Gordon fan. Couldn't stand Earnhardt. When Earnhardt was no longer racing, I quit following the sport. Just wasn't the same without him. No one to root against. Same with the Brands Bros. Love to hate them but they keep it interesting. Hope they coach for a long time!

I equate Brands to Dale Earnhardt. I'll catch flack for this but I was always a Jeff Gordon fan. Couldn't stand Earnhardt. When Earnhardt was no longer racing, I quit following the sport. Just wasn't the same without him. No one to root against. Same with Brands. Love to hate him but he keeps it interesting! Hope he coaches for a long time!

In recent years, it’s easier than pie to cheer against Tan Tom.

And Tan Tom is constantly giving us material to cheer against him with.

Nothing but hot air. Have you ever met the Brands? Gable? Have you even been to Iowa?

Luckily, there is this thing called television and they come to PA on occasion, so I don't need to go to Iowa anymore (where I have been) and I don't need to meet them to witness their behavior.

What we see on TV during competition should be taken with a grain of salt.

Interesting position. I'm not saying they are bad people, I'm saying their match behavior is not to my liking - and it's consistent live and on tv. It's not like the television distorts it. I'm really confused. How else do we know what their match behavior is like except through tv and in person viewing? Please explain.

Reactions: lionlover
Luckily, there is this thing called television and they come to PA on occasion, so I don't need to go to Iowa anymore (where I have been) and I don't need to meet them to witness their behavior.

Interesting position. I'm not saying they are bad people, I'm saying their match behavior is not to my liking - and it's consistent live and on tv. It's not like the television distorts it. I'm really confused. How else do we know what their match behavior is like except through tv and in person viewing? Please explain.

I am saying what we see on TV isn't the whole story. Nothing more, nothing less. My one experience with TnT (see above) was great. Tom seemed like he was really enjoying goofing around with fans.

I am saying what we see on TV isn't the whole story. Nothing more, nothing less. My one experience with TnT (see above) was great. Tom seemed like he was really enjoying goofing around with fans.

Oh, more non sequiturs. Cool. It's apples and oranges.

I had media credentials for a couple of Nationals. My first impression was that Brands was nuts and John Smith was a whiner as I heard and saw his antics. Brands has grown on me, he is just intense. Terry goes over the top, but all sports needs characters and he definitely qualifies. I can handle TNT but the whining from Smith still bugs me.
I really like Tom and always enjoy his interviews. And I definitely get what you're saying about Smith. However, when Smith color commentates (Olympics, Worlds, whatever), I've found him to be a lot more relaxed and really enjoyed his commentary.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Don't mind Tom and he has grown on me over the years. Terry still bugs the hell out of me, but it makes beating Iowa that much sweeter because of him.

TnT, previously did not bother me, liked their passion for the sport, but the recent implying, by Tom, that other teams are cheating, without presenting any proof, has taken a lot of the shine off of them, at least for me.

Not trying to throw shade on Brands here, but when I watched this interview after the dual I wondered if this was a preemptive strike to counter any contrary narrative by PSU fans sitting near him at the dual. By then I had already read some posts here suggesting that one or both of the TnT bros were getting a bit heated with the crowd. Maybe I misread that. Perhaps someone who was there and sitting close to TnT can give their take on whether the mutual jawing was good natured. FWIW, I find it cringeworthy and embarrassing when home fans anywhere are openly hostile or disrespectful towards visiting team members & coaches. Not suggesting that happened here. Just a general comment.

I certainly enjoy his pressers and comments. I have no doubt he is engaging to talk to. Probably good for a beer. Maybe I'll find him this summer while I join 25000 beer drinking partying bicyclist as we pedal for 500 miles on RAGBRAI. Never know who shows up for that party ride. Jimmy Johnson, Lance, used to be Robin Williams..... Time for Tom to get on the bike.

Not trying to throw shade on Brands here, but when I watched this interview after the dual I wondered if this was a preemptive strike to counter any contrary narrative by PSU fans sitting near him at the dual. By then I had already read some posts here suggesting that one or both of the TnT bros were getting a bit heated with the crowd. Maybe I misread that. Perhaps someone who was there and sitting close to TnT can give their take on whether the mutual jawing was good natured. FWIW, I find it cringeworthy and embarrassing when home fans anywhere are openly hostile or disrespectful towards visiting team members & coaches. Not suggesting that happened here. Just a general comment.

I was close enough to see it didn't appear friendly and/or joking, let's put it that way. It was angry expressions and gesticulations. Terry was more involved but even Tom got into it a little.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rabbit-ears

John Smith could be just as big of whiner as Tan Tommy. I give Smith a slight pass based on his wrestling accomplishments but he's hard to watch/take. Tan Tommy is detestable.

I was close enough to see it didn't appear friendly and/or joking, let's put it that way. It was angry expressions and gesticulations. Terry was more involved but even Tom got into it a little.

Maybe next time someone here can take the assignment to capture some cell phone footage of TnT during the dual. Seems that at a minimum there’s some entertainment value being missed there.

Maybe next time someone here can take the assignment to capture some cell phone footage of TnT during the dual. Seems that at a minimum there’s some entertainment value being missed there.

It gets old quickly, trust me - especially when it's going on between you and the mat and during the wrestling. TnT might have set a record for "sit down" being directed towards them. I think that's what set Terry off initially.

A good friend of mine has had close mat access at NCAA's for years. He has confirmed that Smith and Oklahoma State's coaches in general whine more than any other staff.

I actually like what the Brands brothers bring to the sport. Success can come from different coaching styles. The Brands are animated and emotional. Cael is always calm, cool and collected (Well, almost always). Both are great for the sport.

I certainly enjoy his pressers and comments. I have no doubt he is engaging to talk to. Probably good for a beer. Maybe I'll find him this summer while I join 25000 beer drinking partying bicyclist as we pedal for 500 miles on RAGBRAI. Never know who shows up for that party ride. Jimmy Johnson, Lance, used to be Robin Williams..... Time for Tom to get on the bike.

Long time lurker and Hawkeye fan, but never post. I read this site and Hawkeye report regularly, so thought I'd respond to your post. Really cool to see you are doing RAGBRAI. I go every year, and it's a really amazing bike ride/beer drinking week. Hope you enjoy it. I had a conversation with Tom in November about how he stays in shape, and he actually does ride a bike. It's a mountain bike, but he told me it's easier on his joints. I don't think you will see him on RAGBRAI, but it does go through Iowa City this year. I don't think he drinks, either.

I know you guys don't like his in-match antics, but he is a really great guy to talk to. Salt of the earth, wants his athletes to make smart decisions and live clean lifestyles, engages with fans on the regular. He's got a great sense of humor.

Just a little different perspective from an Iowa guy that has occasional interactions with Tom and his staff. Thanks for giving me good reading material when I need a break from real life.

A good friend of mine has had close mat access at NCAA's for years. He has confirmed that Smith and Oklahoma State's coaches in general whine more than any other staff.

They are definitely the worst. When you watch a dual of theirs, it's incessant.

Long time lurker and Hawkeye fan, but never post. I read this site and Hawkeye report regularly, so thought I'd respond to your post. Really cool to see you are doing RAGBRAI. I go every year, and it's a really amazing bike ride/beer drinking week. Hope you enjoy it. I had a conversation with Tom in November about how he stays in shape, and he actually does ride a bike. It's a mountain bike, but he told me it's easier on his joints. I don't think you will see him on RAGBRAI, but it does go through Iowa City this year. I don't think he drinks, either.

I know you guys don't like his in-match antics, but he is a really great guy to talk to. Salt of the earth, wants his athletes to make smart decisions and live clean lifestyles, engages with fans on the regular. He's got a great sense of humor.

Just a little different perspective from an Iowa guy that has occasional interactions with Tom and his staff. Thanks for giving me good reading material when I need a break from real life.
Thanks for the insight. Took a couple shots at the Brands' myself in the past, only to think through it and realize the Control of the Mat stuff was on the refs more than on TnT.

So much we don't know about coaches, other than what we see a couple hours a week. I have appropriate respect for all of them.

Reactions: lionlover

Nice initial post. Stick around and talk with us more.

Just want to add one thing about this: Not "us" but "some of us" don't like his in-match antics. Some of us are a lot less bothered by it than others. (Though we can all find some of it funny, right?)

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

Hey Corn,

I’ve been several times....this summer will just be another chapter. Can’t wait. Just working on logistics or team.

Matside antics bother me no matter who the coach is. I find Brands conversations engaging and insightful. I think that is why he and Cael are able to agree on many things and take action about it. No need to change coaches in Iowa City.

I also do not like when they go down the mat, but that was based on the assumption that it was not allowed and they got away with it. Someone posted on Twitter, I think in response to a Willie Tweet, that the new rules allow it for duals.
If true, still don't really like it, but it is not against the rules.
Not true. They still are not allowed on the mat in the restricted zone. See page 17 and 28 from the manual. Not only do they encroach on the mat they pat the refs on the back while calling a pin! At the most recent dual it was set up tournament style with the chairs on the mat and the diagonal lines creating the reserved zone. However Brands treated it like a traditional dual meet set up and traversed up and down the line.
http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/WR19.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. Took a couple shots at the Brands' myself in the past, only to think through it and realize the Control of the Mat stuff was on the refs more than on TnT.
Seriously. They only do what the refs let them get away with.

Also suspect it affects the refs a lot less than we suppose it does.

And it's not like they're Earl Weaver or Lou Piniella out there, jawing at the refs from 2 inches away and throwing equipment across the mat.

Reactions: Gebmo
Funny, I've gradually done the same thing as you. Tom Brands is passionate but bantered cordially with our fans last Sat. OSU wrestlers conducted themselves to a high standard and their coach poses for selfies with our fan prior to the match. Obviously the coaches have to concentrate in match yet Brands had the "long night" in a very difficult, for UI, period of the match, I'm impressed.
And yes, Okie State Smith is a big whiner, no change there.

And it's not like they're Earl Weaver or Lou Piniella out there, jawing at the refs from 2 inches away and throwing equipment across the mat.
Ha!! Growing up where I did, Earl Weaver and the Orioles were the team most everyone followed. ...and you're aging yourself, especially if go all the way back to his first year of coaching.

Count Billy Martin among my favorites too...

Not true. They still are not allowed on the mat in the restricted zone. See page 17 and 28 from the manual. Not only do they encroach on the mat they pat the refs on the back while calling a pin! At the most recent dual it was set up tournament style with the chairs on the mat and the diagonal lines creating the reserved zone. However Brands treated it like a traditional dual meet set up and traversed up and down the line.
http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/WR19.pdf

But, despite us setting it up as a tournament style, since it is a regular dual then wouldn't those rules be in effect? And most of what I saw them do at our dual was up and along the edge, not infringing on the mat, though I wasn't watching them that often. I do remember hearing earlier in the year the tapping on the ref, and that would be up to the ref to immediately handle. But wasn't that at CHA, so fat chance of that happening.

Big Orioles fan here. Weaver used to bring out the lineup card to the umps and while talking to the them wipe out the lines of the batters box and they let him. Used to crack me up.

Reactions: Gebmo
But, despite us setting it up as a tournament style, since it is a regular dual then wouldn't those rules be in effect? And most of what I saw them do at our dual was up and along the edge, not infringing on the mat, though I wasn't watching them that often. I do remember hearing earlier in the year the tapping on the ref, and that would be up to the ref to immediately handle. But wasn't that at CHA, so fat chance of that happening.
More from the rulebook...

Art. 1. Mat Setup. No obstruction such as tables, bleachers, competitor seating
or walls shall be placed closer than 5 feet from the edge of the competition
circle. It is recommended, whenever possible, that all obstructions be placed
not closer than 8 feet from the edge of the competition circle. When two
mats are side-by-side, there shall be at least 5 feet of matted area between the
two competition circles. (See Diagram 2 at the end of Rule 1.) For dual meets
in which the coaches' chairs are placed on the corner of the mat, the 8-foot
tournament reserved zone in Rule 1.3.3 also applies.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
Ha!! Growing up where I did, Earl Weaver and the Orioles were the team most everyone followed. ...and you're aging yourself, especially if go all the way back to his first year of coaching.

Count Billy Martin among my favorites too...
Another Oriole fan here, best Weaver story, tore up the rule book and threw it at the umpire.

Reactions: RoarLions1
ADVERTISEMENT