ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush eligibility

Lane

May 29, 2001
Probably covered recently, but didn't Wimbush play a handful of snaps against UMass? If so, does that preclude an injury redshirt? Just morbidly curious because there seems to be some young QB talent there.

I think that means he burned a year of eligibility. Unless it's a season ending injury you don't qualify for a redshirt. That my understanding of the rule but I may be wrong

Probably covered recently, but didn't Wimbush play a handful of snaps against UMass? If so, does that preclude an injury redshirt? Just morbidly curious because there seems to be some young QB talent there.

He has played and unless he has a season ending injury in practice this week he won't be eligible for a medical redshirt.

He has played and unless he has a season ending injury in practice this week he won't be eligible for a medical redshirt.
Just to follow up on Art's post (which I think is 100% correct in the Winbush situation).

As I understand the current rules - given that we now have a 12 game regular season:

1 - The player cannot participate in more than 30% of the teams regularly scheduled games.
So, if a player participates in 4 games.....even if it is the first 4 games of the season.....no medical RS is available

2 - The player - once they play even one snap - must suffer a season-ending injury (as verified, contemporaneously, by a Physician) BEFORE his team has played 1/2 of their regularly scheduled games (even if the individual player has played even one snap in one game).
So, in the case of Winbush, since he meets the "less than 4 games" criteria (based on the OP), he would have to suffer his injury before ND kicks-off their game this weekend.

YOU have to meet BOTH criteria, so:

IF Winbush has played in 4 or more games, his Medical redshirt option would already be gone.......but I have no idea how many games he has actually appeared in, though it sounds like just one.

If he actually has played in just the one game, in a mop up situation, ND may have "screwed the pooch" on this one.

even money says you will see more rather than less of wimbush as the season progresses. i'd wager.. a lot more.

even money says you will see more rather than less of wimbush as the season progresses. i'd wager.. a lot more.
One would hope so........if they pissed away a season of eligibility to play a few snaps against UMass......

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Was thinking the same thing... There are a host of young QB's ahead of him now. IF it stays that way he may not play until his senior season at best. Interesting to see if he is willing to sit for that long.

He's the QB that let his high school coach make his college decision for him, correct?

Yeah, his eligibility falls right below worrying about how bad my bowel movement will smell today after taking down a large spicy crab bisque last night on my list of things I care about.

Team DR's and with ankles one never knows, if he doesn't play anymore, he probably gets an ankle injury this week, though we wont know until the end of the season.

Last edited:
He's the QB that let his high school coach make his college decision for him, correct?

Yeah, his eligibility falls right below worrying about how bad my bowel movement will smell today after taking down a large spicy crab bisque last night on my list of things I care about.

Thank you for sharing that last little insight, Alpha. :rolleyes:

Just to follow up on Art's post (which I think is 100% correct in the Winbush situation).

As I understand the current rules - given that we now have a 12 game regular season:

1 - The player cannot participate in more than 30% of the teams regularly scheduled games.
So, if a player participates in 4 games.....even if it is the first 4 games of the season.....no medical RS is available

That's incorrect. It's 30% rounded upward.

30% of 12 is 3.6. Round it upward and you get 4. So a player can play in four games, but no more, and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Team DR's and with ankles one never knows, if he doesn't play anymore, he probably gets an ankle injury this week, though we wont know until the end of the season.

I'm not sure team doctors can fake a season ending injury. We are not talking about a sprained ankle here. There is protocol and documentation needed to apply for a medical redshirt.

I'm not sure team doctors can fake a season ending injury. We are not talking about a sprained ankle here. There is protocol and documentation needed to apply for a medical redshirt.
yeah right.

yeah right.

Right now, he's ND's number two QB. I'd like to see them manufacture documentation of a season ending injury when there will be ample evidence of him being dressed and on the sidelines.....if not in games themselves.

Michigan managed to do it with Devin Gardner.

"Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner got limited playing time during the first one-third of last season, serving as the backup to Denard Robinson. In the UConn and Notre Dame games, for example, Gardner had to come in for a play or two after Robinson went out with a minor injury. Then, in the Bowling Green game, Gardner received more playing time when Robinson had to leave for most of the game. Eventually Tate Forcier replaced Gardner and took over the backup job.

Once Forcier was back on the second slot of the depth chart at quarterback, Gardner was not used again the rest of the season. Rich Rodriguez said that Gardner had a back injury [even though Gardner remained in uniform on the sidelines the rest of the season], and the hope was to get him a medical redshirt, extending his eligibility by a season. Michigan applied to get Gardner a medical redshirt earlier in the offseason."

Last edited:

Screw him, his coach, and his PSU alumni mom (was it?)

:mad::p:mad:

Reactions: Alphabets
I don't think football is as good at this as basketball. In basketball you always see a guy play in an exhibition or early season game and sit for the rest of the season and get a redshirt.

Right now, he's ND's number two QB. I'd like to see them manufacture documentation of a season ending injury when there will be ample evidence of him being dressed and on the sidelines.....if not in games themselves.
that's easy, it's all hindsight. They will just say he had a 'hamstring' and really couldn't play. (you don't really xray hamstrings) the MD signs off, he loves being a team MD. gets to hang with the boys, gets a pay check etc. If he has to play, he plays, hammy got better. If he doesn't have to play, he sits and gets his year, easy. Why was he dressed?? We just had him dressed so he could be used to the big time atmosphere. Getting the 5th yr is easy, the 6th? another story.

4 games into the season, with training camp? everybody got something.

that's easy, it's all hindsight. They will just say he had a 'hamstring' and really couldn't play. (you don't really xray hamstrings) the MD signs off, he loves being a team MD. gets to hang with the boys, gets a pay check etc. If he has to play, he plays, hammy got better. If he doesn't have to play, he sits and gets his year, easy. Why was he dressed?? We just had him dressed so he could be used to the big time atmosphere. Getting the 5th yr is easy, the 6th? another story.

4 games into the season, with training camp? everybody got something.

Nice try, but it won't work. Besides, ND has played six games, Wimbush is likely to see action in one or two upcoming games, so it's all academic.

since ND ignores academic cheating, covers up rape, pays hush money to parents, ignores manslaughter and lies to spin a major PR blunder, Art's good points not withstanding, a redshirt coming up for Wimbush!!!

We'll
Nice try, but it won't work. Besides, ND has played six games, Wimbush is likely to see action in one or two upcoming games, so it's all academic.
we'll see. Not the first time that pesky hamstring rears it's head Would be the last

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT