ADVERTISEMENT

Football Brandon Smith has officially declared for the NFL Draft

FG13OlaX0BM5SkO

Reactions: NedFromYork
Maybe the worst tackling/shedding blocks in the box starting LB I've ever seen at PSU...remember watching his HS highlights and thought he could be another LaVar at LB...hope he gets drafted high so PSU can sell that on the recruiting trail but i wouldn't want my NFL to draft him

And he will skip the Outback Bowl

Invest that first contract wisely...and while you're at it might want to hire a tackling coach. I often wonder what his play would be like if he had the mindset and attitude of other less-gifted players that came through here....like Brandon Smith (now in or past medical school) who kept reappearing in the lineup based on need (at first) and more so on performance....now the team would benefit as much or more if Brooks decides to come back (with a healed hand).

Reactions: psualt
I agree that he was extremely aggravating to watch this season. Refusing to wrap his arms when tackling, being unable to shed blocks and his really poor reads that frequently put him out of position.

All that said, I was very down on Oweh’s pro prospects. In my view he was an incredible, freak athlete who was a combine warrior but not a real football player who produced when it mattered, on the field. Look how that has turned out.

This guy could be the same. A fantastic athlete who is a better pro than college player. Rare, but it does happen.

In any case, I wish the young man well. He seems like a good guy.

I hope he goes high in the draft. A lot of teams draft on projection. He doesn't need another game of shoddy tackling to get drafted on potential.

Reactions: bison13
If Smith grades out well at the combine and reviews with teams, then he will probably get drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds. NFL teams often draft on potential and measurables, and then coach the player up in their scheme which is why both Parsons and Owen are performing at a high level in the NFL this year.

If Smith grades out well at the combine and reviews with teams, then he will probably get drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds. NFL teams often draft on potential and measurables, and then coach the player up in their scheme which is why both Parsons and Owen are performing at a high level in the NFL this year.
I agree somewhat with your analysis of what the pros are willing to draft or work with. If he provides the right measurables and projects significant potential, he may be worth a second or third round pick...remember how far Navorro Bowman fell because of 'character concerns'??
That said, I wouldn't place him up in the same category as Micah Parson in both college performance or pro potential. In the future, when someone comments on the success of Brandon Smith, the former Penn State LB, my bets are on the one working in a hospital healing people.
I do however wish, the younger Brandon the best. I wish he had put out more effort in his preparation or play-if he, the OL, and any backup QB had, this team might have been very very close to the college playoffs...judging where they ended up, only emphasizes how much so little can mean in the end.

IDK, some players need more incentives to bring out their best . Maybe $$$ and the threat of getting cut will help Smith wrap up better.

Who in the heck is advising these players???
Yeah stay at old state and take the chance of getting injured or go to the NFL and make money for doing the same thing. Wow why would this kid leave. I went to college for employment not to cheer for old Penn State. Maybe he did as well.

He ain't Parsons. Parsons can actually tackle and figure out where the ball is.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and royboy
Coach Diaz should just pick up his phone and advise ohio states entire defense to

Coach Diaz should just pick up his phone and advise ohio states entire defense to leave early.
If you are a PSU fan....please confirm so by explaining the LJ rub. Lots smoke about your legitimacy...please show otherwise or on ignore you go. FWIW it has nothing to do with Diaz or OSUs talent...what do you think?

I actually like the kid and wish him the oppty to get drafted in the 4th, and latch on with some almost useful team.

That said, nothing would serve us better than he goes undrafted. Coach cjf can point to it in the future with nitwits ready to move along who have not earned that right... just yet.

Smith plays another year, learns how to play the fing game and take advantage of his amazing abilities... he's 2nd round material... possibly first. But now?? If the birds can grab him in the the 5th... do it. THAT is his worth.

imo, of course.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I actually like the kid and wish him the oppty to get drafted in the 4th, and latch on with some almost useful team.

That said, nothing would serve us better than he goes undrafted. Coach cjf can point to it in the future with nitwits ready to move along who have not earned that right... just yet.

Smith plays another year, learns how to play the fing game and take advantage of his amazing abilities... he's 2nd round material... possibly first. But now?? If the birds can grab him in the the 5th... do it. THAT is his worth.

imo, of course.
He will test to well to not get drafted. 2nd round at the latest by a team that has two picks and takes a chance on a freak. Arrogance of coaches who “know” they can fix his tackling ability.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT