ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Short Penn State Board of Trustees Candidacy

Dear Lions Den / BWI Members –

I’m writing to announce my candidacy for the Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees and to ask for your support.

I love Penn State. Penn State has changed the trajectory of my life. By joining the Penn State Family, I’ve grown from an inner-city kid from a tough background to a global financier who has helped structure and advise Corporate Boards across 5 continents. I’ve been blessed to have achieved a high-level of success in both sports & business and feel a responsibility to serve the community that has done so much for me.

Penn State is a world-class research institution, with the world’s largest Alumni network, and has the world’s largest student-run charity. There is no question that Penn State is a leading institution and at the forefront of higher learning. However, there are many challenges facing our great University. The rising cost of tuition, board governance & accountability, and shrinking state funding are all issues that hamper Penn State’s ability to improve, to continue to lead, and to carry our standard of excellence into the future.

Having been recognized as a natural leader, I have developed a skill set that makes me uniquely qualified to represent our Alumni on Penn State’s Board of Trustees. I’m a graduate of the Smeal College of Business and hold a degree in Marketing (1999). I was a four-year starter on Penn State’s Football team and was elected team captain in both 1998 & 1999. I was selected as a consensus All-American in 1999 and earned First Team All-Big 10 honors in both 1998 & 1999.

In 2000, I was drafted by the New York Giants and had a seven-year NFL career. While in the NFL, my teammates elected me to be their NFLPA Union Player Representative. In this role I advocated on players’ behalves and educated my peers on their contractual rights and obligations under the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. As a Player Representative, I helped to develop and negotiate the strategy to maximize player value in the 2006 - 2011 NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Following my NFL career, I earned an MBA from Columbia Business School in 2010. Joining Goldman Sachs after graduation as a member of its Real Estate Investment Banking Team based in New York (2010), I transferred to Goldman’s Middle East Banking Team based in Dubai in 2012. While at Goldman I provided advice on M&A transactions and advised corporate boards on their optimal structure & governance practices. In 2015, I moved to London to join a real estate private equity firm and am now a Vice President at Round Hill Capital.

I’m asking for your vote. I will bring a strong, young, and diverse voice to Penn State’s board. One that will challenge the status quo and that will work with other board members to improve on every aspect of our University. The great Joe Paterno said “You either get better or you get worse, but you never stay the same.” If elected I promise to wake up every day thinking of ways to make an impact, to improve Penn State and to help lead our great University into the future.

I look forward to hearing all your comments and questions about my candidacy on this thread. In addition, I will be posting weekly videos on my Facebook page, @BShort4PSU, every Friday speaking about the important challenges facing the university and how I plan to address them if elected to the BOT. In addition, I ask that you email me questions that you have at BShort4PSU@gmail.com and I will respond to them promptly in writing and on Sunday’s answer a few questions via video message on Facebook. If elected to the BOT I plan on continuing the weekly videos so that you, the voters, know what is taking place with the Board.

Thank you for your support!

Brandon

#joinmyteam

FB: @BShort4PSU

IG: @Bshort43psu

Brandon:

Already nominated you. I really appreciate what you said at the Rose Bowl New Year's Eve party last year. I am looking forward to you bringing that passion for PSU to a board that needs it.

FWIW, I nominated Brandon and Ms. Stanell yesterday, and I would encourage others to do the same. We know that most of the alumni trustees have done little but take up space on the BOT, and maybe Brandon will try something different. What do we have to lose?

FWIW, I nominated Brandon and Ms. Stanell yesterday, and I would encourage others to do the same. We know that most of the alumni trustees have done little but take up space on the BOT, and maybe Brandon will try something different. What do we have to lose?

Same.

Reactions: 91Joe95

David, I can assure you, I have invested thousands of hours and risked my own resources. In return, I have received “special” parking privileges, two tickets to two home football each year and plenty of personal attacks. But don’t feel sorry for me. I expected the personal attacks.

For the record, I encouraged Brandon to run early last fall.

Service to any organization requires commitment. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that they have to actually do anything more than show up.

Good luck Brandon! You embody Success With Honor.

Good luck to You.

Your statement sounds very, very similar to the statements issued by many of the people who would go on to be elected to the Board (including one of your former Penn State Football Letterman cohorts).

Their statements, when they were running for election, created the same resonance of support from PSU Alumni that your statement has.

Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the people seated on the Board (including the elected members) once they were seated we all found that:

- They were too lazy and disengaged to be aware of the issues facing the University

and/or

- They were too stupid to understand the issues facing the University

and/or

- They were too myopic - one-trick-ponies - to give a damn about the issues facing the University.

The end result, six+ years after Nov 2011, Penn State Governance is - amazingly - in a worse state than it was in 2011.

Hoping you will not enter that same surreal zone when/if you are elected.

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

You seem to have a very clear picture of what the person for BOT should do, believe and support as well as how to get the job done that we alumni so much wish to see in them. I'm curious if you have attempted to run and if not, are you willing to run, to make the difference happen on the Board that we so badly need?

Barry ran for trustee, but he got nowhere because he is so abrasive. So he's left to being an OUTRAGED. :eek: armchair trustee, trying to convince everyone that he is smarter than the rest of us.

Reactions: Keyser Soze 16801
David, I can assure you, I have invested thousands of hours and risked my own resources. In return, I have received “special” parking privileges, two tickets to two home football each year and plenty of personal attacks. But don’t feel sorry for me. I expected the personal attacks.

Service to any organization requires commitment. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that they have to actually do anything more than show up.

Anthony: You should note that I said "most"of the alumni trustees. You've continued to speak out and ruffle feathers, but one guy isn't enough. Frankly, the people you've supported and endorsed in the past have pretty much disappeared after they were elected. We need people who are willing to put themselves on the line--maybe risk being thrown off the board--to try to change the power dynamic on the BOT. Sadly, I suspect that the time to successfully disrupt and challenge the Gray Men on the board may have passed--but it's still worth trying. Brandon and Ms. Stanell offer some slight hope.

Reactions: ATLPSU1 and 91Joe95

Anthony - Thank you for your kind words! You have been walking a tough road and I hope to help you along the way. I really appreciate all the insight and guidance you have provided to me through this process.

All - As I wrote yesterday I have posted the first of my videos on my facebook page, @Bshort4PSU. Today I discuss why I am running for the Board of Trustees. If you have specific questions please email me at Bshort4PSU@gmail.com. Also, I will be answering the questions that have already been asked in this thread tomorrow so that I can give you more thoughtful and detailed answers.

Outside the box, asymmetrical tactics--those are the only things that have a chance of success. We need risk-takers on the side of the alumni on the BOT. Simply voting "NO" when you're outnumbered by the YES's is like smoke signals in a strong wind. Pffffft.

Ask this previously but didn't get a response so will re-post, with edits in italics;

Brandon; Thanks for getting involved and thanks for allowing us to participate. Asking for others opinion is a very good start.

Impressive resume, especially the post football career. Your international experience and connections could be very helpful to the University. Perhaps your connections in the financial world and international power brokers would be interested in helping finance various departments, research, and specialties as well develop cooperative programs on various aspects of research and education with international universities and companies. Would love to see student/faculty exchange programs with Cambridge or Oxford, and schools in Dubai and the Mid East.

I do have a few questions/suggestions. If you are living in London, how will that affect your ability to be closely involved in the various aspects of governance? Will that isolate you from developing the necessary relationships with the faculty, students, alumni, employees, political bigwigs, corporations, and other key groups involved with the University? Or have you retired or transferred back to the US? I see you are still in London, could be an issue. On a normal BoT it would very advantageous to have international representation but with our special circumstances, there is tremendous work to do that needs a lot of attention.

On governance, are you aware of how the PMA (Pennsylvania Manufacturing Association, the most powerful lobbying group in Pa) took over the board in the 90s, illegally changed the charter, and now the board is self-selected by a BoT subcommittee that ensures the old boy network is in charge? Is there a better way to select the Labor and Industry members that is more open, fair, and just?

How do we break the ties between major businessmen and the politicians that use the University to their personal advantage? With only nine alumni elected reps how effective can they be?

There is a lot of work to do with the BoT. Wish you and others the strength and courage it will take.

(Pennsylvania Manufacturing Association, the most pwerful lobbying group in Pacircumstances

Reactions: indynittany
Ask this previously but didn't get a response so will re-post, with edits in italics;

Brandon; Thanks for getting involved and thanks for allowing us to participate. Asking for others opinion is a very good start.

Impressive resume, especially the post football career. Your international experience and connections could be very helpful to the University. Perhaps your connections in the financial world and international power brokers would be interested in helping finance various departments, research, and specialties as well develop cooperative programs on various aspects of research and education with international universities and companies. Would love to see student/faculty exchange programs with Cambridge or Oxford, and schools in Dubai and the Mid East.

I do have a few questions/suggestions. If you are living in London, how will that affect your ability to be closely involved in the various aspects of governance? Will that isolate you from developing the necessary relationships with the faculty, students, alumni, employees, political bigwigs, corporations, and other key groups involved with the University? Or have you retired or transferred back to the US? I see you are still in London, could be an issue. On a normal BoT it would very advantageous to have international representation but with our special circumstances, there is tremendous work to do that needs a lot of attention.

On governance, are you aware of how the PMA (Pennsylvania Manufacturing Association, the most powerful lobbying group in Pa) took over the board in the 90s, illegally changed the charter, and now the board is self-selected by a BoT subcommittee that ensures the old boy network is in charge? Is there a better way to select the Labor and Industry members that is more open, fair, and just?

How do we break the ties between major businessmen and the politicians that use the University to their personal advantage? With only nine alumni elected reps how effective can they be?

1. Spinmeister – I am indeed still living in London. I do not believe this will affect my ability to serve on the board as I currently come to the US once a month for work and to visit family and friends. Also, I am still very engaged with the University while living here London.

I’m a member of the Penn State Real Estate Advisory Committee (helping to develop Real Estate as a major track for Smeal Business School) and have guest lectured for Real Estate Finance classes at Smeal. The time to get from London to State College is no different than if I was living in California or Colorado – where current BOT members currently live.

As the world is becoming smaller, I believe the fact that I do have an international perspective is an advantage. I also think since I do not live near nor work with any of the current board members I will be able to maintain more of my independent thought and action. I do not have to worry about being part of the “old boys” network and can try to agitate more change this way. I will be diligently working on the issues for PSU if elected to the Board.

I think the student/faculty exchange you mention is a great idea. While in Dubai I worked with Georgetown University Business School - my wife Alma-Ata - students who were doing an exchange in UAE to learn about international business practices.

The points you bring up around governance are why I have made governance & accountability a part of my platform. We can all agree that the BOT has a governance issue. The problem when we take this further is that there seem to be no national best practices for how a university board should be governed. While with corporate boards there are clear best practices and standards. In my research I have come across a plethora of ways University Boards are compromised: Harvard University board is all alumni-elected members, the University of Texas is all appointed by the Governor, and many other examples in between. I’m working with some experts from Cambridge University here in the United Kingdom on how to develop some Global standards for University Board governance. I will propose the Penn State take the lead on developing this standard by working with other Universities around the world. I plan on unveiling specifics of this plan in the next few weeks on my facebook page BShort4PSU.

I think the key to breaking the ties between people in business and politicians is that Board members should have to make public any potential conflicts they have annually. This is done on Corporate Boards regularly, and those members who have a conflict can recuse themselves from those matters. Greater transparency is the key.

There is a lot of work to do with the BoT. Wish you and others the strength and courage it will take.

(Pennsylvania Manufacturing Association, the most pwerful lobbying group in Pacircumstances

The Board is meeting next month to discuss where to set Tuition rates for next academic year:

What do you do? How do you prepare, so that you can act as a Responsible Steward?
What statements/positions to you espouse when the Board meets?

The Board is discussing a proposal to spend $80,000,000 to construct a new Academic Center at University park:

What do you do? How do you prepare, so that you can act as a Responsible Steward?

The Board is reviewing the drafting of the proposal that will be presented at the PA Appropriations Hearing:

President Barron is retiring :):):) and the Board must select a new President:

As a Board member, you are concerned with how Admissions Criteria are developed - wrt applications for the incoming class:

The Board is considering adjusting the financial requirements for "Self-Supporting" units:

Questions like that - and the answers to those questions - are the types of things I would hope (but maybe not expect :rolleyes:) Penn State Alumni to be interested in.......
before they determine whom they would support.

Or......"Football"?

I'm guessing most eyes will be on "Football" :rolleyes:

I agree that people should vote for me based on merits and not because I played football. It's important to understand how our leaders will approach solving complex problems. Following my time in the NFL; I received an MBA from Colombia Business School. Then began a career in finance working at Goldman Sachs in investment banking and am now working at Round Hill Capital – a real estate private equity firm.

Because of being part of these institutions, I have faced many challenges around finance, governance, and corporate strategy. As a result, I’ve learned to take an analytical approach to gathering information related to each issue; while being extremely pragmatic when recreating and implement solutions.

I would gather as much data as possible about each challenge. Then benchmark the challenge by gaining an understanding of how other organizations have addressed each issue. I will then consider how aspects of the current environment - timing, locations, and other factors – differ from those in the past and use my judgment to make decisions.

Reactions: ATLPSU1 and 91Joe95
I must admit that your football "name" is one of the appealing aspects of your candidacy--because it may give you some important leverage if at some point you and Lubrano and hopefully a few others feel the need to "go public" with any of your concerns. Of course, your multi-faceted background is appealing as well. Good luck!

1. Spinmeister – I am indeed still living in London. I do not believe this will affect my ability to serve on the board as I currently come to the US once a month for work and to visit family and friends. Also, I am still very engaged with the University while living here London.

I’m a member of the Penn State Real Estate Advisory Committee (helping to develop Real Estate as a major track for Smeal Business School) and have guest lectured for Real Estate Finance classes at Smeal. The time to get from London to State College is no different than if I was living in California or Colorado – where current BOT members currently live.

As the world is becoming smaller, I believe the fact that I do have an international perspective is an advantage. I also think since I do not live near nor work with any of the current board members I will be able to maintain more of my independent thought and action. I do not have to worry about being part of the “old boys” network and can try to agitate more change this way. I will be diligently working on the issues for PSU if elected to the Board.

I think the student/faculty exchange you mention is a great idea. While in Dubai I worked with Georgetown University Business School - my wife Alma-Ata - students who were doing an exchange in UAE to learn about international business practices.

The points you bring up around governance are why I have made governance & accountability a part of my platform. We can all agree that the BOT has a governance issue. The problem when we take this further is that there seem to be no national best practices for how a university board should be governed. While with corporate boards there are clear best practices and standards. In my research I have come across a plethora of ways University Boards are compromised: Harvard University board is all alumni-elected members, the University of Texas is all appointed by the Governor, and many other examples in between. I’m working with some experts from Cambridge University here in the United Kingdom on how to develop some Global standards for University Board governance. I will propose the Penn State take the lead on developing this standard by working with other Universities around the world. I plan on unveiling specifics of this plan in the next few weeks on my facebook page BShort4PSU.

I think the key to breaking the ties between people in business and politicians is that Board members should have to make public any potential conflicts they have annually. This is done on Corporate Boards regularly, and those members who have a conflict can recuse themselves from those matters. Greater transparency is the key.

Reactions: ATLPSU1 and cavic
----

Good answers, well thought out. I wish you luck on your endeavor and thank you for your efforts.

More on the PMA issue;

http://voicesweb.org/archive/pe/trustee0502.html

Horst talked with dozens of delegates at the 1996 election and discovered that every delegate he spoke with had been recruited from the streets and retirement communities of Centre County – an obvious violation of the 3-delegate-per-county allowance.
One delegate he spoke to was a resident of State College, the spouse of an elected State College official, yet she voted as a Clinton county PMA delegate.
“After the election, she asked me what the letters PMA stood for,” Horst recalled.

In 1997, Horst attempted to vote as an IEEE delegate from Lancaster County. At the election a university lawyer and the associate secretary of the Board informed him that he was ineligible.
“Although I was a delegate, I could not cast a ballot because the three votes allotted to Lancaster County were cast by three PMA employees [emphasis added],” said Horst.
This time, instead of recruiting Centre County residents, PMA had sent their paid employees to elect the industrial trustees. A far cry from what most would consider “members” of “organized engineering, mining, manufacturing, and mechanical societies or associations,” which are qualifications voting delegates are required to meet.
Even though Horst was an IEEE member, there officially was no county-level chapter of IEEE where he resided -- only a regional Susqehanna chapter.
In the 1998 industrial trustee election, Horst discovered that a PMA insurance branch located in Blue Bell, PA served as headquarters for the “Penn State Project.” The project coordinated PMA Capital employees who were provided delegate credentials and accommodations in State College for the weekend of the election

Keep in mind that PMA has a wholly owned insurance subsidy that became the insurer for PSU shortly after these rigged elections, a contract worth hundreds of millions. And that insurer had an exclusion for claims of sexual abuse.

I believe that is where all the dirt is buried and the biggest reason why the football program was made the scapegoat...the BoT feared an full investigation would expose all their shenanigans.

Please follow the link as there is much more info there.

Reactions: Bob78
Brandon, one frustration I have with the current Alumni elected trustees is the lack of communication once they are elected. We’ve been told about the Freeh Report review for some time now, but so far we’ve seen no information about the results. We also see strange alumni trustee votes, I.e. Lubert’s unanimous election as board chair, which on the surface make no sense but are never explained to the alumni base that elected them. Other than Anthony Lubrano who posts here on BWI and the PS4RS Facebook page, the other alumni elected trustees have all pretty much went radio silent once they got elected.

How do you plan to keep the alumni informed on BOT issues that the alumni are concerned about, provide background for key votes and positions taken, etc.?

Reactions: Achowalogan
T
----

Good answers, well thought out. I wish you luck on your endeavor and thank you for your efforts.

More on the PMA issue;

http://voicesweb.org/archive/pe/trustee0502.html

Horst talked with dozens of delegates at the 1996 election and discovered that every delegate he spoke with had been recruited from the streets and retirement communities of Centre County – an obvious violation of the 3-delegate-per-county allowance.
One delegate he spoke to was a resident of State College, the spouse of an elected State College official, yet she voted as a Clinton county PMA delegate.
“After the election, she asked me what the letters PMA stood for,” Horst recalled.

In 1997, Horst attempted to vote as an IEEE delegate from Lancaster County. At the election a university lawyer and the associate secretary of the Board informed him that he was ineligible.
“Although I was a delegate, I could not cast a ballot because the three votes allotted to Lancaster County were cast by three PMA employees [emphasis added],” said Horst.
This time, instead of recruiting Centre County residents, PMA had sent their paid employees to elect the industrial trustees. A far cry from what most would consider “members” of “organized engineering, mining, manufacturing, and mechanical societies or associations,” which are qualifications voting delegates are required to meet.
Even though Horst was an IEEE member, there officially was no county-level chapter of IEEE where he resided -- only a regional Susqehanna chapter.
In the 1998 industrial trustee election, Horst discovered that a PMA insurance branch located in Blue Bell, PA served as headquarters for the “Penn State Project.” The project coordinated PMA Capital employees who were provided delegate credentials and accommodations in State College for the weekend of the election

Keep in mind that PMA has a wholly owned insurance subsidy that became the insurer for PSU shortly after these rigged elections, a contract worth hundreds of millions. And that insurer had an exclusion for claims of sexual abuse.

I believe that is where all the dirt is buried and the biggest reason why the football program was made the scapegoat...the BoT feared an full investigation would expose all their shenanigans.

Please follow the link as there is much more info there.

Thanks for the information I am reviewing it now and I seems very helpful

Brandon, one frustration I have with the current Alumni elected trustees is the lack of communication once they are elected. We’ve been told about the Freeh Report review for some time now, but so far we’ve seen no information about the results. We also see strange alumni trustee votes, I.e. Lubert’s unanimous election as board chair, which on the surface make no sense but are never explained to the alumni base that elected them. Other than Anthony Lubrano who posts here on BWI and the PS4RS Facebook page, the other alumni elected trustees have all pretty much went radio silent once they got elected.

How do you plan to keep the alumni informed on BOT issues that the alumni are concerned about, provide background for key votes and positions taken, etc.?

This is probably the one question I get asked the most. It is obvious that people feel other than Anthony the Alumni trustees have not effectively communicated what they are doing or the rationale behind votes. I have launched the weekly video series on my facebook page, @BShort4PSU, not just for the campaign but if I am lucky enough to win will continue it. I plan on using it as a forum to update the alumni weekly on what is going on within the Board and issues facing the university. The weeks when there is no direct board news I will use that platform to an questions that people send me at BShort4PSU@gmail.com. If you have other ideas on how I can effectively communicate with the alumni I would appreciate it. With any elected role it is important that the constituents are heard and kept informed of the decisions being made.

Last edited:
T

Thanks for the information I am reviewing it now and I seems very helpful
---

The PMA took over in the 90s. A short time later the BoT voted to use the PMA insurance holding company as their insurer. Around 2000/2001 the BoT changed its charter to allow an Exec Committee subcommittee to select new Labor and Industry BoT members, in violation of it's state charter. That ensured they could hand pick their successor BoT members. Nothing has ever been done.

The PMA is the most powerful lobbying group in Harrisburg. I was a member of a state-wide association that also lobbied Harrisburg but no one had the power of the PMA.

If you need to know more about it, start a thread on that subject after you get elected as there are people on this board much more knowledgeable than I on this subject.

Reactions: Zenophile
This is probably the one question I get asked the most. It is obvious that people feel other than Anthony the Alumni trustees have not effectively communicated what they are doing or the rationale behind votes. I have launched the weekly video series on my facebook page, @BShort4PSU, not just for the campaign but if I am lucky enough to win will continue it. I plan on using it as a forum to update the alumni weekly on what is going on within the Board and issues facing the university. The weeks when there is no direct board news I will use that platform to an questions that people send me at BShort4PSU@gmail.com. If you have other ideas on how I can effectively communicate with the alumni I would appreciate it. With any elected role it is important that the constituents are heard and kept informed of the decisions being made.

Thank you. You have my vote.

Reactions: BrandonShort43
---

The PMA took over in the 90s. A short time later the BoT voted to use the PMA insurance holding company as their insurer. Around 2000/2001 the BoT changed its charter to allow an Exec Committee subcommittee to select new Labor and Industry BoT members, in violation of it's state charter. That ensured they could hand pick their successor BoT members. Nothing has ever been done.

The PMA is the most powerful lobbying group in Harrisburg. I was a member of a state-wide association that also lobbied Harrisburg but no one had the power of the PMA.

If you need to know more about it, start a thread on that subject after you get elected as there are people on this board much more knowledgeable than I on this subject.
Thanks, will do so

I understand your frustration. I can see how people may think I will be similar to Adam because we are both letterman and wore the same number. However, nothing could be further from the truth. I was one of the first and most vocal Letterman when the scandal broke in condemning the way the Board responded and in support of Joe. While I may have moved out of the country I have stayed engaged in the fight. I was honored to be asked by Sue Paterno to MC the 50th anniversary letterman event commemorating Joe's first game that was held last year. I've never backed away from confrontation when it comes to standing up for what is right. And by no means am I naive about what we're up against. If I'm fortunate enough to be elected I plan on fighting for the future of our University just as I always have.

I’m running for the BOT not to revisit the past but to build a better future. Penn State is facing many challenges. If elected; I will apply my years of business experience and my passion for the University to help us meet these challenges head-on.
Brandon,
You have my vote. You are highly motivated, thoughtful, and your answers to the above questions were eloquently expressed. I am a 1975 graduate and loved your commitment to team when you moved to DE for a while. I am also a big Giants fan having rooted for them since the days of Tittle, Gifford, Huff, Rosy Brown, etc. I am optimistic that you will bring the same fervor to the BOT and be recognized as a valued member Who has a great vision for our University. WE ARE!

LafayetteBear – I understand the frustration with “long game” as it is six-years post scandal and not much has changed. However in the past year there have been new members of the board appointed that may be open to turning the tide. These members are not tied to the decisions that were taken on 11/11 so could be allies. However, even if we get them to join our fight it would not be enough votes to change things due to the entrenched powerbase. This is why the short game of publicly agitating the board is also very necessary and our best way to effect change. But it would help the A9 if other non alumni members joined our team.

As for my personal role in the fight to change the false narrative I was one of the first and most vocal Letterman to speak out against the actions of the Board. I organized a letter in support of Joe and personally spearheaded getting over 500 Letterman to sign it. Over the years I’ve worked with Franco and Anthony Lubrano to get the public to understand that Penn State is not to blame for the actions of one individual. This has included speaking to several reporters on and off the record. Like I said I am new to this forum so not sure how to do this properly but a few weeks ago one of your members Midnighter posted in a separate thread a letter I had originally sent out 12/1/2011

Midnighter

Brandon has been an instrumental figure/letterman in the fight for the truth. Here's the letter he wrote to fellow letterman in 2011....

Captains:

It would be an understatement to say that we are saddened by the recent allegations regarding Jerry Sandusky and the subsequent fallout. If these allegations are true then Jerry used Penn State Football and every one of us who may have helped Jerry with The Second Mile to lure in at risk children and then exploit them both mentally and physically. I thought that I knew Jerry Sandusky extremely well. Jerry was my position coach for five years and I have spent countless hours with him one on one putting in game plans and discussing ways to help him grow The Second Mile. I cannot express the confusion, pain, and anger I feel every time I think of Jerry committing such vicious crimes. With that said, at this extremely dark hour we have failed to see that another crime has been committed.

In the media fire storm that ensued the damning allegations against Jerry a lead villain has emerged; Joe Paterno. Not Jerry Sandusky, Tim Curley, or Gary Schultz but Joe the man who took second hand information and immediately gave it to his superior and the chief of university police.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend a few hours with Joe and Sue the day after the Board of Trustees made the decision to fire Joe. Even at the lowest point of his life, in typical Joe fashion Coach was more concerned with how his current and former players were doing than he was with his own situation. All of us know the immeasurable quality of Joe’s character and we also know that he’s a fighter. Coach pulled out his notes and said that he was ready to hold a press conference in his backyard to answer any questions and clear up any uncertainty the day after he was fired. However his advisers thought that it would appear defensive and be a mistake.
Joe assured me that Mike McQueary never told him that he saw Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in our locker room shower. Joe immediately went to his superiors and arranged a meeting with Mike, Tim Curley, PSU athletic director, and Gray Schultz, chief of university police. Remember that Jerry was not a football coach at the time and therefore Joe had no authority to do anything other than report what Mike told him to the authorities (which he did). Joe trusted Penn State’s Athletic Director and its Chief of Police to do their jobs and it appears they didn’t. The university
ultimately fired Joe Paterno because it didn’t do its job. And that is a crime.

Joe Paterno has always had the courage to stand up and fight for the people in his life. Joe regularly put his neck on the line and believed in many of us when nobody else would. In the past, Joe has supported us because he knew the character of the men that we’ve become. We all know Joe in a way that rest of the world does not. We know Joe’s true character. And now it’s time for us to stand up for him in his time of need.

With the exception of a few brave men, there has been a deafening silence from the Penn State Football family regarding Coach Paterno and what has made Penn State a special place for the last half century. We owe it to each other to speak up and do for Joe what he has always done for us.
Attached is a link to a recent Wall Street Journal article which attacks Coach Paterno for defending his players and calls Penn State an undisciplined program.

http://online.wsj.com/article/..._LEFTTopStories

There have been suggestions on specific actions that we can take to support our program. Following the holiday, we plan on sending you a rough draft of an action plan for your review. Thanks and have a good holiday weekend. WE ARE!
Brandon
Bump.

Hey guys - I posted a new video on my Facebook page, @bshort4psu, about PSU’s tuition. Would appreciate it if you gave it a look and sent me any comments you have.
Also, if you have any comments or questions not related to my BoT run I’m happy to answer those as well.

Hey guys - I posted a new video on my Facebook page, @bshort4psu, about PSU’s tuition. Would appreciate it if you gave it a look and sent me any comments you have.
Also, if you have any comments or questions not related to my BoT run I’m happy to answer those as well.
As long as you asked about PSU tuition......; I am a fellow Varsity S member. My daughter scored 1580 on SAT, 36 ACT and is a National Merit Finalist. As a non PA Resident, that gets her a $5,000 scholarship at PSU's Honor School. She would love to go to PSU, but.... She's getting either full tuition and/or full cost of attendance at, last count, 17 other honor college schools (many of which have honor schools rated above PSU -probably because of more generous offers). If PSU wants to compete for the best students, they need to entice great students,.

I’m honored to announce that I’ve received the 250 nominations to earn a spot on this year's final ballot. Thank you to everyone who nominated me as I truly appreciate your support.

Thank you for your email responses. To me as well as I'm sure all those who gave you comments.

Dear Lions Den / BWI Members –

I’m writing to announce my candidacy for the Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees and to ask for your support.

I love Penn State. Penn State has changed the trajectory of my life. By joining the Penn State Family, I’ve grown from an inner-city kid from a tough background to a global financier who has helped structure and advise Corporate Boards across 5 continents. I’ve been blessed to have achieved a high-level of success in both sports & business and feel a responsibility to serve the community that has done so much for me.

Penn State is a world-class research institution, with the world’s largest Alumni network, and has the world’s largest student-run charity. There is no question that Penn State is a leading institution and at the forefront of higher learning. However, there are many challenges facing our great University. The rising cost of tuition, board governance & accountability, and shrinking state funding are all issues that hamper Penn State’s ability to improve, to continue to lead, and to carry our standard of excellence into the future.

Having been recognized as a natural leader, I have developed a skill set that makes me uniquely qualified to represent our Alumni on Penn State’s Board of Trustees. I’m a graduate of the Smeal College of Business and hold a degree in Marketing (1999). I was a four-year starter on Penn State’s Football team and was elected team captain in both 1998 & 1999. I was selected as a consensus All-American in 1999 and earned First Team All-Big 10 honors in both 1998 & 1999.

In 2000, I was drafted by the New York Giants and had a seven-year NFL career. While in the NFL, my teammates elected me to be their NFLPA Union Player Representative. In this role I advocated on players’ behalves and educated my peers on their contractual rights and obligations under the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. As a Player Representative, I helped to develop and negotiate the strategy to maximize player value in the 2006 - 2011 NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Following my NFL career, I earned an MBA from Columbia Business School in 2010. Joining Goldman Sachs after graduation as a member of its Real Estate Investment Banking Team based in New York (2010), I transferred to Goldman’s Middle East Banking Team based in Dubai in 2012. While at Goldman I provided advice on M&A transactions and advised corporate boards on their optimal structure & governance practices. In 2015, I moved to London to join a real estate private equity firm and am now a Vice President at Round Hill Capital.

I’m asking for your vote. I will bring a strong, young, and diverse voice to Penn State’s board. One that will challenge the status quo and that will work with other board members to improve on every aspect of our University. The great Joe Paterno said “You either get better or you get worse, but you never stay the same.” If elected I promise to wake up every day thinking of ways to make an impact, to improve Penn State and to help lead our great University into the future.

I look forward to hearing all your comments and questions about my candidacy on this thread. In addition, I will be posting weekly videos on my Facebook page, @BShort4PSU, every Friday speaking about the important challenges facing the university and how I plan to address them if elected to the BOT. In addition, I ask that you email me questions that you have at BShort4PSU@gmail.com and I will respond to them promptly in writing and on Sunday’s answer a few questions via video message on Facebook. If elected to the BOT I plan on continuing the weekly videos so that you, the voters, know what is taking place with the Board.

Thank you for your support!

Brandon

#joinmyteam

FB: @BShort4PSU

IG: @Bshort43psu
Thanks Brandon. You are an excellent candidate in all areas. I would like to see Penn State defend Penn State in the future. Those of us on the front lines of life have to put up with a lot of BS because horrendous leadership thought it was ok to brand us all as ped state.
We have taken responsibility for a situation that was not our fault. Anyway, enough of that story. Best wishes.

LafayetteBear – I understand the frustration with “long game” as it is six-years post scandal and not much has changed. However in the past year there have been new members of the board appointed that may be open to turning the tide. These members are not tied to the decisions that were taken on 11/11 so could be allies. However, even if we get them to join our fight it would not be enough votes to change things due to the entrenched powerbase. This is why the short game of publicly agitating the board is also very necessary and our best way to effect change. But it would help the A9 if other non alumni members joined our team.

As for my personal role in the fight to change the false narrative I was one of the first and most vocal Letterman to speak out against the actions of the Board. I organized a letter in support of Joe and personally spearheaded getting over 500 Letterman to sign it. Over the years I’ve worked with Franco and Anthony Lubrano to get the public to understand that Penn State is not to blame for the actions of one individual. This has included speaking to several reporters on and off the record. Like I said I am new to this forum so not sure how to do this properly but a few weeks ago one of your members Midnighter posted in a separate thread a letter I had originally sent out 12/1/2011

Midnighter

Brandon has been an instrumental figure/letterman in the fight for the truth. Here's the letter he wrote to fellow letterman in 2011....

Captains:

It would be an understatement to say that we are saddened by the recent allegations regarding Jerry Sandusky and the subsequent fallout. If these allegations are true then Jerry used Penn State Football and every one of us who may have helped Jerry with The Second Mile to lure in at risk children and then exploit them both mentally and physically. I thought that I knew Jerry Sandusky extremely well. Jerry was my position coach for five years and I have spent countless hours with him one on one putting in game plans and discussing ways to help him grow The Second Mile. I cannot express the confusion, pain, and anger I feel every time I think of Jerry committing such vicious crimes. With that said, at this extremely dark hour we have failed to see that another crime has been committed.

In the media fire storm that ensued the damning allegations against Jerry a lead villain has emerged; Joe Paterno. Not Jerry Sandusky, Tim Curley, or Gary Schultz but Joe the man who took second hand information and immediately gave it to his superior and the chief of university police.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend a few hours with Joe and Sue the day after the Board of Trustees made the decision to fire Joe. Even at the lowest point of his life, in typical Joe fashion Coach was more concerned with how his current and former players were doing than he was with his own situation. All of us know the immeasurable quality of Joe’s character and we also know that he’s a fighter. Coach pulled out his notes and said that he was ready to hold a press conference in his backyard to answer any questions and clear up any uncertainty the day after he was fired. However his advisers thought that it would appear defensive and be a mistake.
Joe assured me that Mike McQueary never told him that he saw Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in our locker room shower. Joe immediately went to his superiors and arranged a meeting with Mike, Tim Curley, PSU athletic director, and Gray Schultz, chief of university police. Remember that Jerry was not a football coach at the time and therefore Joe had no authority to do anything other than report what Mike told him to the authorities (which he did). Joe trusted Penn State’s Athletic Director and its Chief of Police to do their jobs and it appears they didn’t. The university
ultimately fired Joe Paterno because it didn’t do its job. And that is a crime.

Joe Paterno has always had the courage to stand up and fight for the people in his life. Joe regularly put his neck on the line and believed in many of us when nobody else would. In the past, Joe has supported us because he knew the character of the men that we’ve become. We all know Joe in a way that rest of the world does not. We know Joe’s true character. And now it’s time for us to stand up for him in his time of need.

With the exception of a few brave men, there has been a deafening silence from the Penn State Football family regarding Coach Paterno and what has made Penn State a special place for the last half century. We owe it to each other to speak up and do for Joe what he has always done for us.
Attached is a link to a recent Wall Street Journal article which attacks Coach Paterno for defending his players and calls Penn State an undisciplined program.

http://online.wsj.com/article/..._LEFTTopStories

There have been suggestions on specific actions that we can take to support our program. Following the holiday, we plan on sending you a rough draft of an action plan for your review. Thanks and have a good holiday weekend. WE ARE!
Brandon
Thanks Brandon. I've been very disappointed in the lack of Lettermen support for Joe as compared to MSU athletes for their coaches.

Brandon, you once promised a Penn State freshman that saw you in line of the panda express that you would dismantle Trung Canidate. It would be great if you would promise to do the same to Rodless Erickson the first time you get a chance. You have my vote and good luck when you're elected to the board.

As long as you asked about PSU tuition......; I am a fellow Varsity S member. My daughter scored 1580 on SAT, 36 ACT and is a National Merit Finalist. As a non PA Resident, that gets her a $5,000 scholarship at PSU's Honor School. She would love to go to PSU, but.... She's getting either full tuition and/or full cost of attendance at, last count, 17 other honor college schools (many of which have honor schools rated above PSU -probably because of more generous offers). If PSU wants to compete for the best students, they need to entice great students,.
Schreyer Honors college doesn't take SAT into account and notices hadn't gone out Feb 12.

Nice try.

Thanks Brandon. You are an excellent candidate in all areas. I would like to see Penn State defend Penn State in the future. Those of us on the front lines of life have to put up with a lot of BS because horrendous leadership thought it was ok to brand us all as ped state.
We have taken responsibility for a situation that was not our fault. Anyway, enough of that story. Best wishes.
Thanks for the support. I agree 100% that we need to be more vocal in combating the false narrative that all Penn Staters are some how guilty.

Reactions: PSUPride1
That’s why I thought it was so important to organize the Lettermen’s letter in support for Joe. I can’t put in words how instrumental Joe was in my my life and felt I had to come out strongly in support of him. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12...etter-from-players-in-support-of-joe-paterno/
Thanks Brandon. I know you were one of the guys who actually stood up and was vocal during those awful days. That fact will never be forgotten. I hope you Letterman stay connected with the football program and support it. We need to be in this together.

ADVERTISEMENT