ADVERTISEMENT

Braeden Davis commits to the good guys

Mcpat, You clearly pointed out Pennsylvania Wrestling!

That is why Cael has a Pennsylvania driver's license and not an Iowa one in his wallet.
In AA that year in that same weight had Darian Cruz and Korbin Myers. Ruff Ro.

Reactions: mcpat
I dont know, is he? He doesn't look small to me but maybe he is.
I think if Spencer was a normal human being hed be a guy that you think is being held back by size. Don’t think he has much of a cut when he is training hard during season. Maybe has to drop a few pounds each week, but definitely less than a normal D1 125.

Last edited:
The ref really made them wrestle, not close to stalling. Should all be called like this.

Wasn’t Cenzo, Nolf, DT, Zain,RBY, Nico and Nick Lee all 103 or 106 their freshmen year.
As you mention, lots of really good wrestlers that end up as middle and upperweights wrestle 106/103 as freshman. Zach Thomusseit, DTs former teammate at St Paris Graham wrestled 103 as a frosh in high school and AA’d as a heavyweight in college. DT is an usual case though, he wrestled 112 as a high school junior, not many future 86 kilo guys wrestle that low as a junior in high school .

Reactions: kevin310
As you mention, lots of really good wrestlers that end up as middle and upperweights wrestle 106/103 as freshman. Zach Thomusseit, DTs former teammate at St Paris Graham wrestled 103 as a frosh in high school and AA’d as a heavyweight in college. DT is an usual case though, he wrestled 112 as a high school junior, not many future 86 kilo guys wrestle that low as a junior in high school .

My favorite matchup that seemed improbable:
  • DT wrestled 112 as a HS Junior
  • Mike Evans wrestled 189 as a senior at Blair Academy
  • They wrestled for the 165# Big Ten championship in 2012

He is in great hands. This kid is going to be a PSU stud. His dad is going to take over for crazy Uncle Tony. Hopefully Tony let’s him borrow the Necklace

Ok, great news. Seems like we offered and he accepted really quick.

FWIW, I promise to never say anything negative about him when he beats the 5th ranked guy in the country as a freshman.
went back to this thread, to see what everyone had to say about Braeden when he committed. but this nugget was pretty prescient, even if I don’t understand the joke three years later.

You are only allowed to hit the jackpot once my friend and you have hit already. Jackpot was hit on:

April 17, 2009, Penn State named national wrestling legend Cael Sanderson as its 12th head wrestling coach and immediately the nation looked East.

I’ve been amazed with Branden’s performance this year, based on him not being ranked real high on the big boards during high school.

But after rereading this thread, I realize Willie did rank him high… Willie ranked him 7 on his big board, but Flo had him ranked 36 when he committed. Seems like one of those rankings was much better than the other 🤔

Heard Iowa didn’t want him because they figured the unfamiliar hand gesture he is making in that picture was some kind of insult to the familiar fist Tom and Terry are always throwing up.

Well now, a post referencing "hand gestures" has taken on new meaning after the double bird, hasn't it?

I was another of those who had no clue about Davis till he was a starter. But his first bout convinced me. He doesn't do fancy. He uses basic moves, but hits them with such power and conviction that they're almost unstoppable. And he's relentless; always powering forward, pressure applied, bringing the pain.
I don't like comparing because we've had a number of totally unique wrestlers here at PSU. But Davis is a bit of a combination of Zane's pressure and Nolf's attack style.
The first time I saw him wrestle I thought to myself: Cael really has something to work with here. This kid is going to be a star.

Bump so my legend builds
giphy.gif

I was another of those who had no clue about Davis till he was a starter. But his first bout convinced me. He doesn't do fancy. He uses basic moves, but hits them with such power and conviction that they're almost unstoppable. And he's relentless; always powering forward, pressure applied, bringing the pain.
I don't like comparing because we've had a number of totally unique wrestlers here at PSU. But Davis is a bit of a combination of Zane's pressure and Nolf's attack style.
The first time I saw him wrestle I thought to myself: Cael really has something to work with here. This kid is going to be a star.
He’s great with a Russian Tie - just moves people all over

ADVERTISEMENT