Bowl

No bowl talk.
20160730-IMG_6770-1024x683.jpg

Peach (Atlanta): UCF vs. Georgia

Orange (Miami): Clemson vs. Wisconsin

Fiesta (Glendale, AZ): USC vs. Ohio State

Cotton (Arlington, TX): Notre Dame vs. Penn State

Reactions: Obliviax
A concave usually nearly hemispherical vessel : a rounded container that is usually larger than a cup.

Orange Bowl gets first pick and if ND is available they will take them over us or Wisconsin thereby derailing the Cotton Bowl thing. I would love to see a PSU-ND matchup but not sure it will happen.

Orange Bowl gets first pick and if ND is available they will take them over us or Wisconsin thereby derailing the Cotton Bowl thing. I would love to see a PSU-ND matchup but not sure it will happen.
Orange Bowl is tied in with ACC probably loser of Miami _ Clemson. ND is technically playing a conference game.
I would say Wisc or Ohio st game loser goes there.

Orange Bowl has to take the highest ranked B1G/SEC/ND team left. ND isn't considered part of the ACC for Orange Bowl selection.

I don't think it's that cut-and-dry.

They'll most likely take the highest ranked team among Big Ten, SEC, and ND, but I think they have some latitude in, say, taking the highest-ranked SEC team instead of a higher-ranked Big Ten team (they have to take a team from those conferences at least two times each in their 6 remaining non-playoff matchups over the next nine years). I think they'll take Georgia if they lose the SEC Championship. They certainly wouldn't do a Miami-ND rematch in the Orange Bowl this season.

The rest of the non-playoff NY6 bowls can take whomever they want among the top ranked remaining teams. Penn State could end up in just about any of them, though Penn State's a near certainty to make a NY6 bowl now.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'm currently sitting on the bowl reading this.

I don't think you get a PSU ND game if bowls pick teams. They want to sell tickets and know both teams will travel well. Seems hard to believe that they would have two bases like ours and the Domers.

Reactions: step.eng69
Peach (Atlanta): UCF vs. Georgia

Orange (Miami): Clemson vs. Wisconsin

Fiesta (Glendale, AZ): USC vs. Ohio State

Cotton (Arlington, TX): Notre Dame vs. Penn State

depends on whether BIG is in the playoff. i also heard Fiesta with USC v PSU (rematch = Bose Bowl 2)

Reactions: JoeFi and N&B4PSU
Gunsie always said that 15 extra days of practice have no value. His reasoning gave me a headache.
His wit and wisdom is resonating prolifically on the other site.....including but not limited to film study and as usual nothing but the "facts."

Orange Bowl is tied in with ACC probably loser of Miami _ Clemson. ND is technically playing a conference game.
I would say Wisc or Ohio st game loser goes there.
I’m not sure tOSU gets a NY6 Bowl bid with 3 losses if they lose to Wisky.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I don't think it's that cut-and-dry.

They'll most likely take the highest ranked team among Big Ten, SEC, and ND, but I think they have some latitude in, say, taking the highest-ranked SEC team instead of a higher-ranked Big Ten team (they have to take a team from those conferences at least two times each in their 6 remaining non-playoff matchups over the next nine years). I think they'll take Georgia if they lose the SEC Championship. They certainly wouldn't do a Miami-ND rematch in the Orange Bowl this season.

The rest of the non-playoff NY6 bowls can take whomever they want among the top ranked remaining teams. Penn State could end up in just about any of them, though Penn State's a near certainty to make a NY6 bowl now.

Likewise, I think the Pac12 will likely go to the Fiesta for geographic reasons. If it is USC, they may not want another PSU-USC matchup--yes it entertaining (if you were a neutral or USC fan) but I doubt bowls look forward to bowl rematches so I think you could eliminate PSU from the Fiesta consideration. However, if Stanford or WSU wins Pac 12, then maybe PSU is considered.

Rose Bowl is a playoff game this year, so there's no automatic bid for the B1G.

Rose Bowl is a playoff game this year, so there's no automatic bid for the B1G.

Um, no. That is not true. There is no automatic bid TO the Rose. A conference champ from Big10, Pac12, Big12, SEC, and ACC all get bids. This year only the ACC champ has a specific bowl assignment because of the playoff sites.

Yes , you are right there , my error.

If Ohio State has 3 losses, they could very well get in the NY6.

Look through the standings and remaining games, and you start to run out of 2 or fewer-loss Power 5 teams, with the other teams that will lose this weekend and in the conference championships. None of the Group of 5 teams have any path to to get ranked as high as 12 (except maybe UCF), so there will only be one Group of 5 team in the NY6.

There will very likely be multiple 3-loss teams to pick from for the last NY6 slot, and Ohio State would have as good a resume as any of them (already assuming Auburn gets in to the NY6 as the highest-ranked 3-loss team, probably ranked ahead of some 2-loss Power 5 teams as well). I think Ohio State would even stay ahead of Washington if Washington wins this weekend and stays at 10-2 (Washington is already eliminated from the Pac 12 Championship), but that would be close.

Last edited:
If Ohio State has 3 losses, they could very well get in the NY6.

Look through the standings and remaining games, and you start to run out of 2 or fewer-loss Power 5 teams, with the other teams that will lose this weekend and in the conference championships. None of the Group of 5 teams have any path to to get ranked as high as 12 (except maybe UCF), so there will only be one Group of 5 team in the NY6.

There will very likely be multiple 3-loss teams to pick from for the last NY6 slot, and Ohio State would have as good a resume as any of them (already assuming Auburn gets in to the NY6 as the highest-ranked 3-loss team, probably ranked ahead of some 2-loss Power 5 teams as well).

If you have Auburn in NY6 with 3 losses then I think PSU is one of those 2 loss power 5 teams:
  • 4 teams in playoffs (let’s assume Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin) that leaves 8 spots.
  • PAC 12 champ (USC/WSU/Stanford) regardless of record that leaves 7 spots.
  • Non-power5 conf champ. Let’s go with UCF which leaves 6 spots.
  • Miami will be in as ACC runner-up (though this could be Clemson if they lose). This leaves 5 spots.
  • Notre Dame is still ranked higher than PSU and they would continue to be if they beat Stanford. That would leave 4 spots.
  • Let’s put Auburn in based on your projections. I do think there is a fair chance that at #6 and with a close loss, Auburn could stay above #10 PSU. That would leave 3 spots.
  • So who is vying for final 3 spots: a 10-2 PSU, a 10-2 UWash (with a win over WSU), 11-2 Georgia (assuming they beat GaTech but loss to Bama), 10-3 Ohio State (assuming win vs UM and loss to Wisconsin), 10-3 TCU (loss in Big12 champ game).
  • I think Georgia is a given. I think UWash is out given Pac12 conference is down this year. That leaves PSU-OSU-TCU for 2 spots.
  • OSU is one spot above PSU now. Maybe they move they swap spots with ND and get a little separation from us. Does a loss in Big10 champ game drop them below us?
  • TCU is 2 spots below us now. Maybe they inch closer this week? However if they somehow are above us, the risk is do they not drop much with a very close conf champ game loss.
  • I think PSU is in okay position now but I think it would help a lot if either ND loses ca Stanford, OSU loses big vs Wiscy (a OSU win will keep a 1-loss Wiscy above us), a big Bama win vs Auburn, a bad TCU loss vs Oklahoma, a Bama win vs Georgia, or a GaTech win vs Georgia.

Last edited:
If you have Auburn in NY6 with 3 losses then I think PSU is one of those 2 loss power 5 teams:
  • 4 teams in playoffs (let’s assume Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin) that leaves 8 spots.
  • PAC 12 champ (USC/WSU/Stanford) regardless of record that leaves 7 spots.
  • Non-power5 conf champ. Let’s go with UCF which leaves 6 spots.
  • Miami will be in as ACC runner-up (though this could be Clemson if they lose). This leaves 5 spots.
  • Notre Dame is still ranked higher than PSU and they would continue to be if they beat Stanford. That would leave 4 spots.
  • Let’s put Auburn in based on your projections. I do think there is a fair chance that at #6 and with a close loss, Auburn could stay above #10 PSU. That would leave 3 spots.
  • So who is vying for final 3 spots: a 10-2 PSU, a 10-2 UWash (with a win over WSU), 11-2 Georgia (assuming they beat GaTech but loss to Bama), 10-3 Ohio State (assuming win vs UM and loss to Wisconsun)

Yep, that sums it up pretty well. I think Georgia, Penn State, and Ohio State get the last three spots in that case. Washington could edge out Ohio State; we've seen the committee favor teams who miss a conference championship game but have fewer losses before.

Um, no. That is not true. There is no automatic bid TO the Rose. A conference champ from Big10, Pac12, Big12, SEC, and ACC all get bids. This year only the ACC champ has a specific bowl assignment because of the playoff sites.

Um, the Big Ten champ is contractually tied to go to the Rose Bowl, except when the Rose hosts a playoff. That's kind of "automatic" isn't it?

Um, the Big Ten champ is contractually tied to go to the Rose Bowl, except when the Rose hosts a playoff. That's kind of "automatic" isn't it?

The Big Ten (and Pac 12) champions are of course contractually tied to automatically go to the Rose Bowl *when it is not a playoff game*. When the Rose Bowl IS a playoff game, and the Big Ten or Pac 12 champion do not qualify for the playoff, they are guaranteed a spot in one of the non-playoff NY6 bowls (also referred to as the access bowls). So this season, the Big Ten and Pac 12 champions do *not* automatically go to the Rose Bowl, but *do* automatically qualify for the NY6. The same is true for the Sugar and Orange Bowl with their conference ties (SEC vs. Big XII and ACC, respectively).

Conversely, when the Rose Bowl IS NOT a playoff game, and the Big Ten or Pac 12 champion qualifies for the playoff, the Rose Bowl is contractually required to pick a Big Ten/Pac 12 team to replace the playoff participant, even if they are ranked lower than teams from other conferences. The Orange Bowl is in that situation this season: they must select the ACC champion or next highest-ranked ACC team. If Clemson and Miami both make the playoff, the Orange Bowl will have to select an ACC team (probably Virginia Tech) that will almost certainly be ranked outside the top 12 and lower than several other teams that would not make the NY6.

I'm currently sitting on the bowl reading this.

I don't think you get a PSU ND game if bowls pick teams. They want to sell tickets and know both teams will travel well. Seems hard to believe that they would have two bases like ours and the Domers.

Do the bowls see a share of the ad revenue? If so, bowls will be salivating over Penn State v ND. Would probably be one of the highest rated bowl games this season.

Reactions: RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT