ADVERTISEMENT

Both were intentional: Pirates didn't say much; Mets lost their mind.

Both hits were intentional in the sense that they purposely targeted the infielder's legs with a hard hit. I'm sure, in the spur of the moment, the runner didn't think about exactly what the results would be. Nevertheless, the runners went a bit too far with what was clearly dangerous plays and discipline is warranted. Carlos Gomez's hit on Jordy Mercer was similar and resulted in an injury.

Reactions: nits74 and TheGLOV
Both hits were intentional in the sense that they purposely targeted the infielder's legs with a hard hit. I'm sure, in the spur of the moment, the runner didn't think about exactly what the results would be. Nevertheless, the runners went a bit too far with what was clearly dangerous plays and discipline is warranted. Carlos Gomez's hit on Jordy Mercer was similar and resulted in an injury.
The one by Gomez was the worst - by far - and was clearly a dirty play (by a guy with a reputation). Dove into Mercer's knees what - 20 feet - from the bag?

I was SHOCKED that he didn't get "98 up near his ear hole" his next AB.

Reactions: nits74

You're damn right that they did not think about what the results would be.

MLB needs to take action by rule change much as they did to minimize the dangerous home plate collisions.
If you deliberately slide into the defenseman, you are automatically out and out for the next week. That will solve it.
I know you purists don't like rule changes, but allowing this procedure to continue is barbaric. Change the GD rule; this isn't football. Injuries that happen when an athlete is going all out to make a play is frequent enough, but when guys are getting hurt by a deliberate slide into the defenseman, that is unnecessary and should be regulated out of the game.

Reactions: scbob
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...ikely--to-happen-before-game-3-160030218.html

Both were intentional in attempting to break up the double-play and threw caution to the wind.

Just watched the video again and I have a question.
Why didn't the SS step thru the bag and lead his throw to first. The pirouette he did, set himself up in a fixed location and took away the opportunity to defend himself with a low bridge throw to first.
It is what it is but it is baseball! Hope Utley has an earflap on his helmet.

...Coghlan absolutely targeted Kang's knee joint...

...watch as he slides...he puts his left side on the ground and "leg whips" Kang's joint with a raised right leg...

Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
MLB needs to take action by rule change much as they did to minimize the dangerous home plate collisions.
If you deliberately slide into the defenseman, you are automatically out and out for the next week. That will solve it.
I know you purists don't like rule changes, but allowing this procedure to continue is barbaric. Change the GD rule; this isn't football. Injuries that happen when an athlete is going all out to make a play is frequent enough, but when guys are getting hurt by a deliberate slide into the defenseman, that is unnecessary and should be regulated out of the game.
Great point, and this is key. If MLB changed the rule because of how dangerous that play at home plate can be, then how could it not possibly look at changing this ridiculous non-rule for sliding into bases. A heck of a lot more players have been injured on these types of plays then have been at home plate.

Pirates season is over, Mets are still fighting to advance in the playoffs.

Don't be a douche, GLOV.

Just watched the video again and I have a question.
Why didn't the SS step thru the bag and lead his throw to first. The pirouette he did, set himself up in a fixed location and took away the opportunity to defend himself with a low bridge throw to first.
It is what it is but it is baseball! Hope Utley has an earflap on his helmet.
Totally agree. Utley is coming in there hard with the idea Tejada is going to keep moving. He stops and attempts a pirouette move thereby planting his back leg which Utley then hits. If Tejada doesn't have all his weight on that leg it doesn't break. The late slide was reaction to Tejada stopping at the bag IMO.

The two plays are not even remotely similar

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/488745700.jpg

https://thewinningrun.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/chase-utley-slide.jpg

http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/files/2015/10/Utley-Tejada-slide.jpg

Kang is 5 feet in front of 2nd base trying to turn a double play. Coghlan is at least sliding as he makes contact

Tejada is behind 2nd base as Utley launches himself into the back of his legs, starting his 'slide' even (at best) with the bag

ADVERTISEMENT