ADVERTISEMENT

BOT candidate Barry Fenchak talks about "Success with Honor" and the Statue

Agoodnap

Sep 27, 2015
I saw this on another board and with the ESPN discussion thought it would be good for discussion.

Of particular timeliness, I think, in light of the upcoming ESPN stories:
I have been asked: "What about the statue?", and I think that is a good question, that merits a meaningful response.
If we are talking about the physical statue specifically, I have the same questions. Barb Doran, Bill Oldsey, and Ted Brown - who are currently asking to be re-elected - should, I think, know the answers. They have been on the Board since 2013, and have had every opportunity to get those answers.
I have deferred, and will continue to defer, to the Paterno family on this issue. Sue Paterno settled a lawsuit with the University a few years ago. Whether the issue of the statue was a part of that, I do not know.
If the alumni elect me to a seat on the Board I will offer to meet with the Paterno family (Jay is, of course, on the Board) to offer my assistance - in whatever way they deem to be appropriate. I think that is the right thing to do. But it has to be their call.
Now, I actually think that this issue goes much broader than the physical statue itself - if we are talking about honoring and respecting the legacy of the idea we refer to as "Success with Honor".
The entire legacy of PSU Athletics - Success with Honor, The Grand Experiment, whatever terms you want to use - wherein PSU Football changed the paradigm of what college athletics could be all about. That was, of course, led by Joe Paterno - but also involved the efforts of hundreds of student-athletes, coaches, fans, administrators, alums, etc etc.
In many ways, the Board of Trustees (and, to a lesser extent, the Administration) has tried to erase that legacy That is wrong - to all of the people involved. And to many of the alumni, fans, boosters, and others who take pride in that legacy, it remains - rightfully - an open wound.
That needs to be addressed... and should have been addressed years and years ago. Why it hasn't been? I don't know. But as that issue has festered, unresolved, for years and years, it is incumbent upon the Board (and me individually as a member of the Board) to rectify that situation.
I believe I have ideas - in conjunction with what has been done by some of the Trustees in the past - that will help to achieve these goals. Again, it is the right thing to do.

I saw this on another board and with the ESPN discussion thought it would be good for discussion.

I have been asked: "What about the statue?", and I think that is a good question, that merits a meaningful response.
If we are talking about the physical statue specifically, I have the same questions. Barb Doran, Bill Oldsey, and Ted Brown - who are currently asking to be re-elected - should, I think, know the answers. They have been on the Board since 2013, and have had every opportunity to get those answers.
I have deferred, and will continue to defer, to the Paterno family on this issue. Sue Paterno settled a lawsuit with the University a few years ago. Whether the issue of the statue was a part of that, I do not know.
If the alumni elect me to a seat on the Board I will offer to meet with the Paterno family (Jay is, of course, on the Board) to offer my assistance - in whatever way they deem to be appropriate. I think that is the right thing to do. But it has to be their call.
Now, I actually think that this issue goes much broader than the physical statue itself - if we are talking about honoring and respecting the legacy of the idea we refer to as "Success with Honor".
The entire legacy of PSU Athletics - Success with Honor, The Grand Experiment, whatever terms you want to use - wherein PSU Football changed the paradigm of what college athletics could be all about. That was, of course, led by Joe Paterno - but also involved the efforts of hundreds of student-athletes, coaches, fans, administrators, alums, etc etc.
In many ways, the Board of Trustees (and, to a lesser extent, the Administration) has tried to erase that legacy That is wrong - to all of the people involved. And to many of the alumni, fans, boosters, and others who take pride in that legacy, it remains - rightfully - an open wound.
That needs to be addressed... and should have been addressed years and years ago. Why it hasn't been? I don't know. But as that issue has festered, unresolved, for years and years, it is incumbent upon the Board (and me individually as a member of the Board) to rectify that situation.
I believe I have ideas - in conjunction with what has been done by some of the Trustees in the past - that will help to achieve these goals. Again, it is the right thing to do.

This is a lot of words for him to make his point.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

I voted for Barry and really hope he is elected, but I fear he won't get enough votes. I understand he can be brash at times, but he can raise a lot of questions that others on the board are afraid to ask.

He needs to give it a rest with the Paterno worship and focus on the current state of the university. The time for action was years ago, and even if the board does something now to "right the wrong" those that are still holding a grudge about how things were handled aren't going to come crawling back at this point.

The philosophy of Success with Honor has remained constant through multiple coaches and currently Franklin carries the torch, imo to at least an equal extent as JoePa did, with his focus on football players sitting in the front row, being early to class, having 4 academic all americans in the last 5 years, and the multiple philanthropic activities the team has taken part in during his tenure thus far as just a few examples. The university never erased "Success with honor" - heck the phrase is displayed prominently on the wall of the Morgan Academic Center.

Plus if this is the "Barry" that used to spew his hateful rhetoric on this board a few years ago there is no way I want that wingnut leading any part of Penn State. Dude was out of his mind.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
He needs to give it a rest with the Paterno worship and focus on the current state of the university. The time for action was years ago, and even if the board does something now to "right the wrong" those that are still holding a grudge about how things were handled aren't going to come crawling back at this point.

The philosophy of Success with Honor has remained constant through multiple coaches and currently Franklin carries the torch, imo to at least an equal extent as JoePa did, with his focus on football players sitting in the front row, being early to class, having 4 academic all americans in the last 5 years, and the multiple philanthropic activities the team has taken part in during his tenure thus far as just a few examples. The university never erased "Success with honor" - heck the phrase is displayed prominently on the wall of the Morgan Academic Center.

Plus if this is the "Barry" that used to spew his hateful rhetoric on this board a few years ago there is no way I want that wingnut leading any part of Penn State. Dude was out of his mind.
You somehow still haven't figured out that "righting the wrong" is about focusing on the current state of the university. That being: Skyrocketing Tuition, runaway Administrative Costs, and perhaps most importantly plummeting Academic Standards. These three conditions, which by any measure started around 2011/2012 and continue to this day.

I'll assume you like the "current state of the university" so you'll either not vote or continue to vote for people that clearly aren't even attempting to make things better. Barry will at least try to improve the conditions, and what he wrote above is much more eloquent than your "wingnut" complaint.

0 F’s given anymore. As I’ve said before, the media and our board’s response has turned me into what they originally accused me of being- a fan of football only.
Penn State is only a football/ sports school to me anymore.

Barry loves to talk, it gives him an opportunity to tell you how much smarter he is than everyone else.
“Let me tell you something. I would much rather be held to the standard of a Penn State student than Joe Paterno’s standard. There’s a thing we called success with honor. That’s not just a recruiting tool, that’s something we live every single day”.

You somehow still haven't figured out that "righting the wrong" is about focusing on the current state of the university. That being: Skyrocketing Tuition, runaway Administrative Costs, and perhaps most importantly plummeting Academic Standards. These three conditions, which by any measure started around 2011/2012 and continue to this day.

I'll assume you like the "current state of the university" so you'll either not vote or continue to vote for people that clearly aren't even attempting to make things better. Barry will at least try to improve the conditions, and what he wrote above is much more eloquent than your "wingnut" complaint.
If he had talked about any of those things you’d have a point - but he didn’t. He literally said “But as that issue has festered, unresolved, for years and years,..” - that’s not dealing with the current state of the university. That whole rambling message is about what happened to Paterno and how success with honor was somehow erased by the college.
The issues you brought up are things that need to be dealt with by learned and mature individuals - not Barry. And there’s no point attacking my statement as not being eloquent, I’m not running for BOT.

If he had talked about any of those things you’d have a point - but he didn’t. He literally said “But as that issue has festered, unresolved, for years and years,..” - that’s not dealing with the current state of the university. That whole rambling message is about what happened to Paterno and how success with honor was somehow erased by the college.
The issues you brought up are things that need to be dealt with by learned and mature individuals - not Barry. And there’s no point attacking my statement as not being eloquent, I’m not running for BOT.
You clearly never read Barry's "Position Statement" that was provided as part of the "Meet the Alumni Candidates". You also need to connect the dots on Success with Honor.

Here is Barry's Position Statement. You'll notice all the pertinent points are right there. If you open the link provided below you'll notice he's the ONLY candidate that hopes to address the real issues.

Penn State University is a complex and dynamic institution that operates in a challenging
environment. I am dedicated to furthering the University’s core missions of providing a quality,
affordable education and sponsoring meaningful and beneficial research. As a trustee of the
university, I will be an engaged and active advocate for all stakeholders. Trustees are the only people
who are solely responsible for the oversight of PSU’s assets and resources. We had better know
what we are doing. Among Penn State’s greatest current challenges are:
• The highest in-state tuition, by far, of any of the Big Ten’s 13 public universities.
• The plummeting of PSU’s academic standing in the Big Ten – from 4th place to 10th place, and
still dropping.
• The suffocating costs of administrative waste and largess which, along with PSU’s exponential
growth in long-term debt, is loaded onto the backs of our students and their families.
These issues, and others, are all related, and are symptomatic of a lack of responsible
governance and a lack of focus on Penn State’s core missions. They must be addressed, sooner
rather than later. For more in-depth discussions, visit my website https://barryfenchak4trustee.com
I care deeply for our alma mater and there is no one who understands these issues and is more
qualified to address them than me. I am committed to taking on that responsibility on behalf of alumni
everywhere.

Meet the Candidates

He's probably the alumni candidate least focused on the Paterno narrative. His issue is that he's a horrible communicator at best, throwing personal insults around anytime his views are challenged. In a professional setting like BOT meetings there's no place for that nonsense.

Reactions: crm114psu
He's probably the alumni candidate least focused on the Paterno narrative. His issue is that he's a horrible communicator at best, throwing personal insults around anytime his views are challenged. In a professional setting like BOT meetings there's no place for that nonsense.
So keep status quo that way no one will attempt to make changes. He may fail, but he'll try improve the University.

Reactions: joeaubie21

Tbe current failings of Penn State - led by plummeting academics - is a straight line to the lack of leadership that led to Paterno’s grotesquely unfair demise. So ‘No’ to all of what you just said.

Last edited:
Tbe current failings of Penn State - led be plummeting academics - is a straight line to the lack of leadership that led to Paterno’s grotesquely unfair demise. So ‘No’ to all of what you just said.
You say I’m wrong - I say I’m right - both mean squat.

Doesn’t matter much to me as I’ve not voted in any BOT election in decades and don’t plan on starting now. The alumni spots don’t have much influence anyway.

Doesn’t matter much to me as I’ve not voted in any BOT election in decades and don’t plan on starting now. The alumni spots don’t have much influence anyway.
So, your contribution has been personal insults. Nice.

Reactions: joeaubie21

All righty then…searing logic!

Over the years, Barry has proven to be one of the most mean-spirited regular posters on this board and its predecessor. He has no impulse control. If elected to the BOT, he would be marginalized because of his caustic approach and ultimately would detract from the serious work that needs to be done.

Over the years, Barry has proven to be one of the most mean-spirited regular posters on this board and its predecessor. He has no impulse control. If elected to the BOT, he would be marginalized because of his caustic approach and ultimately would detract from the serious work that needs to be done.
Your prediction that Barry will be marginalized is amusing considering what we have gotten for the last 10 years. You apparently like what's been happening with the Board?

Below is a link to meet the candidates. Seriously, read the position statements for each candidate.

The three new candidates are only interested in DEI. The three incumbents read ok until you consider how long they've been on the board voting "yes" to virtually every expenditure/action.

Barry may fail, but he'll at least try to make a difference.

Meet the Candidates

Reactions: MacNit07
Probably…but could things get any worse?

Reactions: bison13
Pray tell which alumni bot has been doing this serious work this past ten years?

Barry will at least try. He isn't going to be impressed with fancy diners and talk of expensive vacations. He is going to focus on real issues and may an attempt to improve those issues.

Why can't you understand this? We already know what the three incumbents will do, which is exactly what they have been doing...voting "yes" at every opportunity. The three DEI incumbents have goals that don't include any of the real issues that need to be addressed.

Using the results, or lack thereof, of the recent alumni trustees as a reason to vote for Barry who comes across like a child at times is rather silly. Nobody in an alumni trustee position was ever going to make an impact, particularly with the popular topics surrounding the scandal, regardless of who filled the seat. The board's structure has all but guaranteed that. The only path to giving alumni trustees a legitimate influence is legislative reform to the structure and size of the BOT.

For those that need a reminder of what Joe brought to the University. I started this video at the 4:56 mark. Listen for about 1 minute to hear Graham Spanier give his synopsis.

Last edited:
Reactions: mediaexpert
Using the results, or lack thereof, of the recent alumni trustees as a reason to vote for Barry who comes across like a child at times is rather silly. Nobody in an alumni trustee position was ever going to make an impact, particularly with the popular topics surrounding the scandal, regardless of who filled the seat. The board's structure has all but guaranteed that. The only path to giving alumni trustees a legitimate influence is legislative reform to the structure and size of the BOT.
I'll try to summarize your position with "Give up, there's no sense even trying".

Your prediction that Barry will be marginalized is amusing considering what we have gotten for the last 10 years. You apparently like what's been happening with the Board?

Below is a link to meet the candidates. Seriously, read the position statements for each candidate.

The three new candidates are only interested in DEI. The three incumbents read ok until you consider how long they've been on the board voting "yes" to virtually every expenditure/action.

Barry may fail, but he'll at least try to make a difference.

Meet the Candidates
A thoughtful alumni trustee who can build a coalitions might be able to get some things done.
Barry however has zero chance of garnering meaningful influence on the BOT. If elected, he will grandstand and dish insults. That might win internet points from you all but it will do nothing to improve the university.

Reactions: crm114psu
A thoughtful alumni trustee who can build a coalitions might be able to get some things done.
Barry however has zero chance of garnering meaningful influence on the BOT. If elected, he will grandstand and dish insults. That might win internet points from you all but it will do nothing to improve the university.
That may be but Barry is the only candidate that will try. The three incumbents have been on the board since 2013 and have done nothing! The three DEI candidates only care about DEI, which is a noble cause but will do nothing to improve the overall health of our University. So that leaves exactly two candidates that have potential. Maribeth has the PS$RS data base of emails that she is using to advertise her campaign. The PS4RS email addresses were to be used to promote the candidates, not for personal gain. This says a lot about Maribeth and therefore I can not vote for her.

All of this means that Barry is far and away the best candidate. Well, he's the best candidate unless you are happy with the current state of the University.

Read their Position Statements at: Meet the Candidates

Last edited:
That may be but Barry is the only candidate that will try. The three incumbents have been on the board since 2013 and have done nothing! The three DEI candidates only care about DEI, which is a noble cause but will do nothing to improve the overall health of our University. So that leaves exactly two candidates that have potential. Maribeth has the PS$RS data base of emails that she is using to advertise her campaign. The PS4RS email addresses were to be used to promote the candidates, not for personal gain. This says a lot about Maribeth and therefore I can not vote for her.

All of this means that Barry is far and away the best candidate. Well he's the best candidate unless you are happy with the current state of the University.

Read their Position Statements at: Meet the Candidates
The only thing he's "trying" to do is demean others. Sorry, but that's a fatal flaw.

Why do I feel like any attempt to upset the status quo, which isn't very good, would be a problem for you? Are you one of those using PSU and its students as more or less a personal piggy bank?

So keep status quo that way no one will attempt to make changes. He may fail, but he'll try improve the University.
IS he paying you to spam the board for him? Are you his wife or something? Seriously the love affair with the guy is getting old. There a reason he is banned hear and has to have his cronies shill for him. If he had an ounce of maturity he would be campaigning himself but that was too much for him to handle.

I bet Barry can spell "Ahead".

Reactions: AvgUser
I wouldn't necessarily expect someone to behave in real life the way they do on a football board. He probably will be marginalized more because his ideas may not line the pockets of some old guard BOT than because of his caustic approach. A voice of dissent, though it might annoy those who like to just make nice, can actually do some good in my experience.

Reactions: Agoodnap
I wouldn't necessarily expect someone to behave in real life the way they do on a football board. He probably will be marginalized more because his ideas may not line the pockets of some old guard BOT than because of his caustic approach. A voice of dissent, though it might annoy those who like to just make nice, can actually do some good in my experience.
Who among the alumni elected trustees is “lining pockets”? I have seen this same BS spouted since plotit.com days - never a credible accusation. But let’s be clear - If Barry is elected, that’s a seat that could have gone to someone with the capacity to build coalitions and get shit done. A bombastic opposition voice with no support is just a time sink. There is real work to be done.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Who among the alumni elected trustees is “lining pockets”? I have seen this same BS spouted since plotit.com days - never a credible accusation. But let’s be clear - If Barry is elected, that’s a seat that could have gone to someone with the capacity to build coalitions and get shit done. A bombastic opposition voice with no support is just a time sink. There is real work to be done.
This is laughable. Other than Lubrano, name a single Alumni Trustee that even attempted to "get shit done". You won't be able to because they don't even try. None of them! Why than are they on the board? What purpose?

Stop tilting at windmills. Barry will try to make positive change. He may fail, but unlike the others he will try.

PS: Thank you for giving me reason to keep this thread at the top of the board.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
Oh, you're right - it's mainly not alumni elected trustees. They've just sat and watched appointed trustees do that and been called dysfunctional if they didn't go along with it.

IS he paying you to spam the board for him? Are you his wife or something? Seriously the love affair with the guy is getting old. There a reason he is banned hear and has to have his cronies shill for him. If he had an ounce of maturity he would be campaigning himself but that was too much for him to handle.
Did you watch the video he shared??? If you really are a PSU nut or anyone who loves PSU, THEN you would be taking the bull by the horns. I find it shocking that you just want this to pass.

Reactions: KCLion
Also anyone who claims to love or even like PSU should be writing their Congressmen demanding Sandusky get a new trial. If you don't have any hint of Sandusky's innocents then you have not been following the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT