ADVERTISEMENT

Bosa is done at tOSU

That POINT you missed went just about 18,000 miles over your head. Or so it would appear :)

No, if Clarett wants to take classes and improve himself, he can at OSU, notwithstanding that he is a felon who was a real pain in the arse at OSU. Yes, there are many easy classes that can be taken at OSU to preserve your eligibility -- same as virtually all schools. On the other hand, if you really want to be educated you can.

If you are an elite athlete and want to focus on millions of dollars you can. If you wish to take advantage of education you can. If you go to prison and expect to be babied and coddled you won't. If you make some kind of reasonable effort, OSU will help.

Would add that Meyer has a program called Real Life Wednesdays where he introduces players to business people so that they will have a life after football. See http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/jamie-dimon-addresses-team-for-real-life-wednesdays/

No, if Clarett wants to take classes and improve himself, he can at OSU, notwithstanding that he is a felon who was a real pain in the arse at OSU. Yes, there are many easy classes that can be taken at OSU to preserve your eligibility -- same as virtually all schools. On the other hand, if you really want to be educated you can.

If you are an elite athlete and want to focus on millions of dollars you can. If you wish to take advantage of education you can. If you go to prison and expect to be babied and coddled you won't. If you make some kind of reasonable effort, OSU will help.

Would add that Meyer has a program called Real Life Wednesdays where he introduces players to business people so that they will have a life after football. See http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/jamie-dimon-addresses-team-for-real-life-wednesdays/
college is, at its base, a launching point to be well positioned for a career as an adult. Bosa is well on his way to making some pretty good dough. There are several kids playing for PSU that are on the same path. I mean, if you can make $32,000,000, like Saquon Barkley, go get 'em.

Reactions: dailybuck777
People would watch college football even if ZERO future pros were playing. Fans care about their school, and whether their school is winning. They don't really care that the players on their favorite team are never going to be good enough to be professionals.
You are right. This is why I dislike this guy Todd McShay. All he talks about is whether somebody is going to "play on Sunday."

I think you are being unfair to Bosa and all elite college football players. He is guaranteed something like $50,000,000 if he is healthy going into the draft. No degree he could get at any college would come close to guaranteeing him that money by let's say age 25. He used OSU to make $50,000,000. Nothing wrong with that.

With that kind of money, he can go back to OSU any time that he wishes and get an education. 99% of people would do the same thing as Bosa -- choose $50,000,000 over getting a college degree in your early 20s. (As I said, he can always go back and get a degree if he wishes.)

Would add that college bowl games risk becoming glorified exhibitions. This is 2 years in a row that OSU's best player will not be playing in a bowl game. (Denzel Ward last year) With McCaffrey sitting out and the Jaylin Smith injury, I imagine the trend will get much stronger.

As much as I hate agreeing with any Buckeye, you're dead on. Any kid in his spot has to leave and that includes any Michigan, PSU or OSU player. CF is no longer the amateur sport that many of us like to remember. Get the money while it's there kid and come back and get your degree later which seems to be a very common theme now. The only reason a college superstar returns for another year is to improve his draft status. R, Gary will probably leave after this year hurting Michigan next year but go for it kid,

Wouldn't he be able to play in January if this is true? He'd be a huge addition if OSU is in the series
He could be, but he would be taking a huge risk for one game. Also, Johnson 's techniques place a large stress on that part of the body.

Didn't say I was blaming Bosa or that he is doing the wrong thing.

I said he was not there for the education.
Before any of us makes that kind of judgment, I think we have to wait and see if the kid returns for his degree down the road. As much as all of us poked fun at Cardale Jones and his statement about playing school, he did return to get his degree a couple of years later.

Last edited:
I think you are being unfair to Bosa and all elite college football players. He is guaranteed something like $50,000,000 if he is healthy going into the draft. No degree he could get at any college would come close to guaranteeing him that money by let's say age 25. He used OSU to make $50,000,000. Nothing wrong with that.

With that kind of money, he can go back to OSU any time that he wishes and get an education. 99% of people would do the same thing as Bosa -- choose $50,000,000 over getting a college degree in your early 20s. (As I said, he can always go back and get a degree if he wishes.)

Would add that college bowl games risk becoming glorified exhibitions. This is 2 years in a row that OSU's best player will not be playing in a bowl game. (Denzel Ward last year) With McCaffrey sitting out and the Jaylin Smith injury, I imagine the trend will get much stronger.

Da Bosa’s are soft. Glass jaws

Who cares about getting degree when he will probably make 100 mil over his career if he stay healthy. He can always go back.

you really want to watch IUP/Kutztown level talent play football at Penn State?
no more big money TV either
Um but if its standard across the board then the talent level doesnt matter. Would you think someone like Barkley or Poz or Lee would have gone to the Devlop League? I would bet that the Devlop League would only skim off the top and have a huge amount of wannabees that just dont want to go to school.

College will still have a lot of really good football players that would become better players

A lot of truth in this comment. We alums have a loyalty to our school, WE ARE. Fans who never attended college do not fully understand the grip this experience has on alumni. It is not limited to PSU, scan the stadiums across the nations each Saturday afternoon & evening to see the spectacle of college football, the pageantry, the tailgates, the passion of the fans for their team.

It's is a special connection that is not the same as an affinity to a pro team. It is a love for a school that transcends the sport yet football is the one specific bonding point we have in common when we leave the campus. That is why football is so important to so many, passionate alumni at so many different programs. It unites us, it is why this board exists in a broad sense. College football takes up back to the campus and the memories we cherish.

Well said. I hate us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT