ADVERTISEMENT

Bosa is done at tOSU

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
DppADIBVsAAvTxt.jpg

Caught Meyer somewhat offguard.

"On Monday, Bucknuts asked OSU head coach Urban Meyer if he expects Bosa will return and play for the No. 2 Buckeyes (7-0, 4-0 Big Ten) at some point this season.

"He's flying there (Philadelphia) tomorrow to get it checked," Meyer said. "I'm hoping (he will return this season)."

Is Meyer optimistic?

"Hoping," he repeated

well, he wasn't there for the education
Truth be told, hardly anyone goes to college for the “education.” They go so that they can get a good job after graduation.

In Bosa’s case, it appears that he is doing what’s best for his future job prospects, and I can’t blame him one bit. (I understand that you aren’t actually making fun of him, but the pretense that these future NFL players are there for school.)

Last edited:
Truth be told, hardly anyone goes to college for the “education.” They go so that they can get a good job after graduation.

In Bosa’s case, it appears that he is doing what’s best for his future job prospects, and I can’t blame him one bit. (I understand that you aren’t actually making fun of him, but the pretense that these future NFL players are there for school.)
And that's why there should be an NFL developmental league. So that real student athletes could compete, instead of these semi-pro all-star teams masquerading as college programs.

Reactions: step.eng69
And that's why there should be an NFL developmental league. So that real student athletes could compete, instead of these semi-pro all-star teams masquerading as college programs.
and do you really think there would be 100,000 at an NFL developmental league game? 10,000? 1000 most likely. There is too much to lose for too many to change anything.

well, he wasn't there for the education

I think you are being unfair to Bosa and all elite college football players. He is guaranteed something like $50,000,000 if he is healthy going into the draft. No degree he could get at any college would come close to guaranteeing him that money by let's say age 25. He used OSU to make $50,000,000. Nothing wrong with that.

With that kind of money, he can go back to OSU any time that he wishes and get an education. 99% of people would do the same thing as Bosa -- choose $50,000,000 over getting a college degree in your early 20s. (As I said, he can always go back and get a degree if he wishes.)

Would add that college bowl games risk becoming glorified exhibitions. This is 2 years in a row that OSU's best player will not be playing in a bowl game. (Denzel Ward last year) With McCaffrey sitting out and the Jaylin Smith injury, I imagine the trend will get much stronger.

I think you are being unfair to Bosa and all elite college football players. He is guaranteed something like $50,000,000 if he is healthy going into the draft. No degree he could get at any college would come close to guaranteeing him that money by let's say age 25. He used OSU to make $50,000,000. Nothing wrong with that.

With that kind of money, he can go back to OSU any time that he wishes and get an education. 99% of people would do the same thing as Bosa -- choose $50,000,000 over getting a college degree in your early 20s. (As I said, he can always go back and get a degree if he wishes.)

Would add that college bowl games risk becoming glorified exhibitions. This is 2 years in a row that OSU's best player will not be playing in a bowl game. (Denzel Ward last year) With McCaffrey sitting out and the Jaylin Smith injury, I imagine the trend will get much stronger.
Didn't say I was blaming Bosa or that he is doing the wrong thing.

I said he was not there for the education.

I I said he was not there for the education.

To me that is a truism for all players who have the opportunity to go high in the draft and probably for most of the players at the 15 highest ranked programs. Doubt that Tua or Rashan Gary or even Brian Lewerke are at college to get an education. The advantage for those players that turn out to not have an NFL future is that they can remain in school and get a degree and also make good connections.

Maybe it is refreshing that there’s no pretense in his message. That said, as long as he and others just biding their time due to NCAA rules sit in the back of the class, stay quiet, and let others learn, then they’re only “hurting” themselves.

The problem is the delusional guys who think they have Bosa’s future and merely pass the time while in college.

My thought is that many, if not most, of the very top athletes in college football and basketball are in college to improve and showcase their talents for a legitimate shot at a pro career, making great money for at least a short time.

I don't think they are necessarily there with the mindset to COMPLETE their education in that time span. Still, many will, and many will make significant strides to completing maybe 3 full academic years of it and maintaining good academic standing. That's all good stuff, and at least somewhat in line with the idea of blending education and athletics. Some-to-many of those players will complete their college education later, earning a degree a few years down the road. That's all good stuff, too.

Some will never complete their education. This does not make them 'dumb jocks', or people who do not appreciate or care about a college education, etc. By going to classes for 3 years, they are better off than had they not gone to college at all, had not challenged themselves by taking academic courses (even 'easy' ones), and been exposed to the multitude of opportunities and ideas that the blend of athletics and academics provides. The combination of some academics, and the lessons gleaned from the rigor of being and maintaining elite athlete status, will serve them well down the road as long as they keep their heads screwed on straight. Most will. It is similar to a career military person who had no formal college education. Still bring lots of a great value to the workplace as they transition from one line of work to the next.

To me that is a truism for all players who have the opportunity to go high in the draft and probably for most of the players at the 15 highest ranked programs. Doubt that Tua or Rashan Gary or even Brian Lewerke are at college to get an education. The advantage for those players that turn out to not have an NFL future is that they can remain in school and get a degree and also make good connections.
I hope, for his sake, Lewerke is at MSU for an education.

Still, many will, and many will make significant strides to completing maybe 3 full academic years of it and maintaining good academic standing. That's all good stuff, and at least somewhat in line with the idea of blending education and athletics. Some-to-many of those players will complete their college education later, earning a degree a few years down the road. That's all good stuff, too.

I will add that in listening to player interviews (for instance, at Cleveland.com), I have been impressed with the maturity and football intelligence of the players. For instance, Shaun Wade, who got burned by Hamler several weeks ago, had no problem going into detail with his technique problem that contributed to Hamler's big play. (Hamler being very good, also had a lot to do with it)

Simply playing at a big time program is a full-time job, and if the players can progress to a degree in addition to having that full time job, that is positive in my view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
you really want to watch IUP/Kutztown level talent play football at Penn State?
no more big money TV either

People would watch college football even if ZERO future pros were playing. Fans care about their school, and whether their school is winning. They don't really care that the players on their favorite team are never going to be good enough to be professionals.

People would watch college football even if ZERO future pros were playing. Fans care about their school, and whether their school is winning. They don't really care that the players on their favorite team are never going to be good enough to be professionals.
A lot of truth in this comment. We alums have a loyalty to our school, WE ARE. Fans who never attended college do not fully understand the grip this experience has on alumni. It is not limited to PSU, scan the stadiums across the nations each Saturday afternoon & evening to see the spectacle of college football, the pageantry, the tailgates, the passion of the fans for their team.

It's is a special connection that is not the same as an affinity to a pro team. It is a love for a school that transcends the sport yet football is the one specific bonding point we have in common when we leave the campus. That is why football is so important to so many, passionate alumni at so many different programs. It unites us, it is why this board exists in a broad sense. College football takes up back to the campus and the memories we cherish.

Was that an educated decision? :rolleyes:

Not gonna hold it against him. Most people get their college degrees to increase their earning potential. If someone from Goldman called a senior finance major at psu and told them if they withdrew from class today they would guarantee them a role with Goldman that would earn them 10 million a year guaranteed for the next 3 years almost every single one would withdraw.

From Cleveland.com, Lesmerisis

"I'll just tell you what I think I know about Nick Bosa:

He was obsessed with winning a national title this year. He made it clear how much he wanted what his brother had attained. When I wrote this season about the new group of Buckeyes who had been waiting their turn and were eager to lead, Bosa was at the forefront of that.

He has a natural confidence he never tries to hide. Bosa doesn't worry about his words, because he knows his play backs it up. He wanted to wreck opponents this year. He wanted 50 sacks. He wanted to be the No. 1 pick.

But most of all, truly, he wanted a national championship. He wasn't a guy treading water and only thinking about personal goals. He was invested in this.

5. Bosa was healthy last season and he rotated in the four-man defensive end position share with Tyquan Lewis, Sam Hubbard and Jalyn Holmes. They were a second-round, a third-round and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bosa was better than all of them. He rotated because that was the plan. But he really, really wanted to play a bunch of snaps this season. The abdominal muscle injury suffered against TCU already robbed Bosa and the fans of that. This decision is the final part of a season fans will always wonder about.

6. The Bosas are more educated about this decision than most families. They are NFL-smart, with Joey in the league and John Bosa, the father, having had a pro career. So this is a thorough decision with Nick's best interests in mind.

7. The Bosas love Ohio State. They love Larry Johnson, the defensive line coach. They legitimately trusted their sons to Urban Meyer and this staff. They weren't a family with one foot out the door. So there was no plan to bail. However, both Joey and Nick were acutely aware of their talents and their plans. They were three-seasons-and-done since the moment they faxed in their papers on National Signing Day. They were right about that." https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/10/nick_bosa_elite_talent_and_the.html

Nothing dishonorable at all about his time at OSU. Both sides benefited.

A lot of truth in this comment. We alums have a loyalty to our school, WE ARE. Fans who never attended college do not fully understand the grip this experience has on alumni. It is not limited to PSU, scan the stadiums across the nations each Saturday afternoon & evening to see the spectacle of college football, the pageantry, the tailgates, the passion of the fans for their team.

It's is a special connection that is not the same as an affinity to a pro team. It is a love for a school that transcends the sport yet football is the one specific bonding point we have in common when we leave the campus. That is why football is so important to so many, passionate alumni at so many different programs. It unites us, it is why this board exists in a broad sense. College football takes up back to the campus and the memories we cherish.
Extremely well-stated!

I will add that in listening to player interviews (for instance, at Cleveland.com), I have been impressed with the maturity and football intelligence of the players. For instance, Shaun Wade, who got burned by Hamler several weeks ago, had no problem going into detail with his technique problem that contributed to Hamler's big play. (Hamler being very good, also had a lot to do with it)

Simply playing at a big time program is a full-time job, and if the players can progress to a degree in addition to having that full time job, that is positive in my view.
Here it is from the mouth of one of your own. The full interview is included in the link.

https://cbssports.radio.com/article...thletes-take-nonsense-classes-only-care-about

Clarett: Colleges Force Athletes To Take "Nonsense Classes"

Colleges don't care about educating student-athletes, Maurice Clarett said; they care about keeping them eligible
Taz%26TheMoose-6a-9a.jpg

TAZ AND THE MOOSE
OCTOBER 11, 2018 - 10:37 AM
Maurice_Clarett_2002.jpg

USA Today Images

NCAA Football
Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett dropped by CBS Sports Radio to discuss his life, career, and newfound purpose: helping young people avoid some of the mistakes he made.

One of Clarett’s most important causes? Ensuring that student-athletes get a quality education.

“I think that is one of the biggest jokes, Clarett said on Taz & The Moose. “(Colleges) purposefully miseducate these guys for the purpose of staying eligible. You get classes like African-American Studies and Family Planning and Officiating Golf and Officiating Softball and all of these things. They keep you eligible to generate revenue, but when it’s time for you to be done and it’s time for you to go back to your hometown, you don’t have anything of value to bring back to either the kids, your community or even to your family. A lot of times what happens is that subsequently ends in some sort of substance abuse or some sort of alcohol abuse because you just can’t mentally adjust to your life being turned upside down.”

Clarett, 34, has seen it firsthand.

“I can look at old teammates from Ohio State, I can look at guys who reach out to me through the internet, and guys feel like they put so much into something, and there’s this fictitious belief that they'll always be taken care of,” Clarett said. “But the underlying narrative is you have very smart people who get together and they say ‘Hey, we’re going to make these guys believe they’re (getting a quality education).’ These guys are miseducated – and I care more about that than anything.”

Clarett isn’t afraid to share his message with current student-athletes, either.

“When you take these nonsense classes, it does nothing,” he said. “I was down in LSU, and this was when Leonard Fournette was down there. I asked Les Miles (a question). I learned in prison, they would always say, ‘You can’t un-see things and you can’t un-hear.’ I said, ‘Les, would you put your kids – your personal kids – in the same class that you put your star athletes in?’ The look on his face was dumbfounded. Even though I said it, he couldn’t kick me off this stage. ‘What am I going to kick this kid off the stage for? For telling me the truth?’ But I told the athletes, go to your position coach and go show them (your) schedule and ask them would they pay for their kids to take these classes.”

The answer, Clarett said, would likely be no.

“That will tell you right there this does nothing,” Clarett explained. “This keeps you eligible. Before we talk about paying (players) and all this other stuff, at least let’s get the normal thing down. Let’s get the educational piece down. If these guys can’t take these courses, (it’s a problem).”

Many student-athletes are also first-generation college students. Thus, they – and their families – do not know what a typical college course load should look like.

“All mommy and daddy and uncle know is that my kid has a degree from a university and he’s made it out the ghetto,” Clarett said. “Yeah, that’s not enough. We have to get to the point where we’re appropriately academically educating these kids and pushing these kids to be something more than just athletes.”

and do you really think there would be 100,000 at an NFL developmental league game? 10,000? 1000 most likely. There is too much to lose for too many to change anything.

The NFL *could* form a developmental league in the Spring. Each NFL team would have a NFLD team. Players who signed with the D Eagles for $50 grand could be be signed by the real Eagles for at least the NFL minimum. Having D league players "graduate" to the fall team would keep some fans interested. TV still loves football. The ratings would probably be close to pre-season games.

Of course, the NFL would prefer to keep the status quo, as they don't want to take on the risk of starting an entire league when the college game already separates out the wheat from the chaff quite nicely.

Here it is from the mouth of one of your own. The full interview is included in the link.

https://cbssports.radio.com/article...thletes-take-nonsense-classes-only-care-about

Clarett: Colleges Force Athletes To Take "Nonsense Classes"

Colleges don't care about educating student-athletes, Maurice Clarett said; they care about keeping them eligible
Taz%26TheMoose-6a-9a.jpg

TAZ AND THE MOOSE
OCTOBER 11, 2018 - 10:37 AM
Maurice_Clarett_2002.jpg

USA Today Images

NCAA Football
Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett dropped by CBS Sports Radio to discuss his life, career, and newfound purpose: helping young people avoid some of the mistakes he made.

One of Clarett’s most important causes? Ensuring that student-athletes get a quality education.

“I think that is one of the biggest jokes, Clarett said on Taz & The Moose. “(Colleges) purposefully miseducate these guys for the purpose of staying eligible. You get classes like African-American Studies and Family Planning and Officiating Golf and Officiating Softball and all of these things. They keep you eligible to generate revenue, but when it’s time for you to be done and it’s time for you to go back to your hometown, you don’t have anything of value to bring back to either the kids, your community or even to your family. A lot of times what happens is that subsequently ends in some sort of substance abuse or some sort of alcohol abuse because you just can’t mentally adjust to your life being turned upside down.”

Clarett, 34, has seen it firsthand.

“I can look at old teammates from Ohio State, I can look at guys who reach out to me through the internet, and guys feel like they put so much into something, and there’s this fictitious belief that they'll always be taken care of,” Clarett said. “But the underlying narrative is you have very smart people who get together and they say ‘Hey, we’re going to make these guys believe they’re (getting a quality education).’ These guys are miseducated – and I care more about that than anything.”

Clarett isn’t afraid to share his message with current student-athletes, either.

“When you take these nonsense classes, it does nothing,” he said. “I was down in LSU, and this was when Leonard Fournette was down there. I asked Les Miles (a question). I learned in prison, they would always say, ‘You can’t un-see things and you can’t un-hear.’ I said, ‘Les, would you put your kids – your personal kids – in the same class that you put your star athletes in?’ The look on his face was dumbfounded. Even though I said it, he couldn’t kick me off this stage. ‘What am I going to kick this kid off the stage for? For telling me the truth?’ But I told the athletes, go to your position coach and go show them (your) schedule and ask them would they pay for their kids to take these classes.”

The answer, Clarett said, would likely be no.

“That will tell you right there this does nothing,” Clarett explained. “This keeps you eligible. Before we talk about paying (players) and all this other stuff, at least let’s get the normal thing down. Let’s get the educational piece down. If these guys can’t take these courses, (it’s a problem).”

Many student-athletes are also first-generation college students. Thus, they – and their families – do not know what a typical college course load should look like.

“All mommy and daddy and uncle know is that my kid has a degree from a university and he’s made it out the ghetto,” Clarett said. “Yeah, that’s not enough. We have to get to the point where we’re appropriately academically educating these kids and pushing these kids to be something more than just athletes.”

Here is another interview with Clarett. OSU welcomed him back and gave him the opportunity to take classes:

"I noticed for you, Maurice, you now have a new relationship with Coach Tressel and you’re back at Ohio State taking courses. I’ve also noticed on social media that you’ve been really showing a lot of pride in Ohio State University. For you I was wondering if you could just share what your current relationship is with Coach Tressel and your relationship with the University and perhaps the athletic department. And then for coach, if you could just talk about the nature of your relationship with Maurice.

MAURICE CLARETT: Well, my relationship with Ohio State is cool. I have been back down there this spring. I was down there when I first got out of prison, and I had taken a couple courses and then I went to Omaha for a couple years. But now to this day, I went back down there this spring. I was down there working with Boom Herron and Beanie Wells, and we were doing a bunch of running back drills, got a chance to go inside the weight room, seeing like the young guys, Carlos and Braxton and a lot of those young guys, Roby, and had a chance to do some drills with them this off‑season.

But when the fall came back around, I didn’t want to be around all the media attention or be some sort of distraction to what it was they was doing. But a lot of those young guys, they know my number. I call them, I tease them, I text Carlos back and forth, so for the most part it’s cool."

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...essel-discuss-30-for-30-film-youngstown-boys/

He made any number of mistakes, such as falsely claiming that OSU wouldn't pay for a family member's trip to the National Championship game and arrogantly rejecting guaranteed money when he was a 3rd round pick of the Denver Broncos and was cut before the season. Of course, he also committed armed robbery.

Would add that about 2 weeks ago, Cris Carter (OSU grad) criticized the Clemson qb who left the team in his senior year, saying that he was foregoing all of the connections he would have had, had he stayed at Clemson. Carter also stated that he greatly appreciated his OSU connections gained from football.

Here is another interview with Clarett. OSU welcomed him back and gave him the opportunity to take classes:

"I noticed for you, Maurice, you now have a new relationship with Coach Tressel and you’re back at Ohio State taking courses. I’ve also noticed on social media that you’ve been really showing a lot of pride in Ohio State University. For you I was wondering if you could just share what your current relationship is with Coach Tressel and your relationship with the University and perhaps the athletic department. And then for coach, if you could just talk about the nature of your relationship with Maurice.

MAURICE CLARETT: Well, my relationship with Ohio State is cool. I have been back down there this spring. I was down there when I first got out of prison, and I had taken a couple courses and then I went to Omaha for a couple years. But now to this day, I went back down there this spring. I was down there working with Boom Herron and Beanie Wells, and we were doing a bunch of running back drills, got a chance to go inside the weight room, seeing like the young guys, Carlos and Braxton and a lot of those young guys, Roby, and had a chance to do some drills with them this off‑season.

But when the fall came back around, I didn’t want to be around all the media attention or be some sort of distraction to what it was they was doing. But a lot of those young guys, they know my number. I call them, I tease them, I text Carlos back and forth, so for the most part it’s cool."

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...essel-discuss-30-for-30-film-youngstown-boys/

He made any number of mistakes, such as falsely claiming that OSU wouldn't pay for a family member's trip to the National Championship game and arrogantly rejecting guaranteed money when he was a 3rd round pick of the Denver Broncos and was cut before the season. Of course, he also committed armed robbery.

Would add that about 2 weeks ago, Cris Carter (OSU grad) criticized the Clemson qb who left the team in his senior year, saying that he was foregoing all of the connections he would have had, had he stayed at Clemson. Carter also stated that he greatly appreciated his OSU connections gained from football.
That's all cute but had nothing to do with the interview from last week that I posted.

Bosa's father speaks. The injury was worse than thought. They all love OSU.

"Nick Bosa is not just our hot-button topic. He is a real person, a college student who absolutely loves—loves—Ohio State football. You will not hear a family praise a pair of coaches more highly than the Bosas praise Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer and defensive line coach Larry Johnson. And yes, his family knew before he even became a full-time starter at Ohio State that he would leave after three years. That’s just because he is so good.

Bosa is leaving for one reason: He felt like he had no choice. His season was over."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/16/nick-bosa-injury-ohio-state-nfl-draft

“The realistic timeframe is 12 weeks,” his dad, John, told me Tuesday. “Twelve weeks brings us into December.”

Nick Bosa, like his brother Joey, is a reverent student of Johnson, the OSU line coach. Johnson teaches his defensive ends to “flip their hips,” or point them toward the quarterback. The technique is one reason Joey has become an NFL star and Nick probably will be, too. But it makes it risky to play elite college football before this injury fully heals.

They just think it sucks.

“It’s difficult on him,” John said. “He had set all kinds of team goals. The love he has for his D-line group and D-line coach is something special.”

As for the Ohio State staff, John said, “I’ve trusted them with both my sons and I couldn’t be happier with how they treated him. It was gut-wrenching, but for his health and the future, this is the right thing to do. He’ll have time to focus and be absolutely perfect in March and the [draft] combine.”

Nick Bosa had four sacks in less than three games this season. You can say that NFL scouts have seen enough, and that’s probably true. But his dad would have loved to see more.

“This is really heartbreaking for me,” John Bosa said. “He was going to have an epic, epic year. That kid was on pace for some scary record-setting things. It was the right thing to do, but it doesn’t make it any easier.”

Would add that I don't know why Johnson left PSU. However, not retaining him has to be one of the worst mistakes in the history of the program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT