ADVERTISEMENT

Bo's Next Event July 3rd, and UCF Series Fights

Wrestling fans are the only ones not surprised.

That takedown reminded me of many of his folk takedowns, where he gets an ankle and kind of falls into his opponent, all in one motion. Here he tagged Beard with a clean punch while practically running through him.

Beautiful transition into the triangle. Made it look so easy and it definitely isn’t. Bo will be champ sometime soon I have no doubt
Quickness - like a cat
Strength - noodles of iron
Athleticism - A natural
Skill - he's been doing everything since he was 6, better than everyone else

Can take a punch - This element of MMA is no friggin joke, and boxers hit unlike other humans that come from a different athletic backgrounds. I love Bo, but I don't think we can crown him a future champion to be before he gets really hammered and powers through it to win. I have to pump the brakes a bit, and just enjoy the ride he is giving us. With his confidence he is also a born entertainer. They signed a great one tonight.

Watch carefully and you can see Bo setting up that left with his right hand. He kept extending it out to the right getting the guy's eyes to follow and then BAMM!
Yeah and for not even really “aiming” that punch, it was spot on.

Im with Goggles though,you wont see me betting on him till I see his chin. Guys like this are not that rare, guys who can take a beating and still stand are the cream.

He fights a top 10 guy and he’s GONNA get hit, you’re only as tough as your chin.

Last edited:
Ok, Ill take the bait.

Well Mike, what can I say? I am trying to remember a time when Bo hasn't impressed me.

From a pure entertainment perspective, I think Bo gets my vote as the most 'entertaining' of all PSUs GOATs. How many times did he turn the tables on a kid in the blink of an eye in spectacular fashion, Brooks, Moore, Miles, .... Bo was an infortuitous roll-through from being a 4xer. That sequence was a 10-12 point swing.

Noone, with a straight face, can say Bo doesn't impress.

It's still a very long way to a UFC championship, but I suspect Bo will impress almost everyone all the way to whatever his ceiling is. For now he has impressed Dana White, I can tell you that much.

Im with Goggles though,you wont see me betting on him till I see his chin. Guys like this are not that rare, guys who can take a beating and still stand are the cream.

He fights a top 10 guy and he’s GONNA get hit, you’re only as tough as your chin.
He’s gonna have to eat big punches before he gets to a top 10 guy. He needs a half dozen wins before he sees one. White will certainly use him to bolster undercards first while seeing what he really has.

My thoughts
The fake double leg into an overhand haymaker/knee tap single is obviously something he has been working on. The danger there is eating a knee, but he was very patient in timing it. The triangle that he used to finish looked pretty high level to me. He could have just sat on top and pounded the dude out, but as everyone on this board knows. he likes to finish fast.
His career is going to move as fast as he wants it to. If he keeps winning, the UFC is going to be pressuring him into huge fights in very short order. Will be interesting to see what happens there.
I am not worried about his chin. He is young, strong, and works with a camp that knows how to prepare him. That said there is a pretty good chance he loses one along the way. If it happens, don't freak out. Anyone can get got with those 4oz gloves, especially at the higher weight classes.

I am not worried about his chin. He is young, strong, and works with a camp that knows how to prepare him. That said there is a pretty good chance he loses one along the way. If it happens, don't freak out. Anyone can get got with those 4oz gloves, especially at the higher weight classes.
My only caveat would be that MMA is a sport that demands worry about a fighter's chin, no matter their skill level or past accomplishments.

It also requires adherence to the Tyson Tenet: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

You never know how one of these bouts will turn out.

Language alert on this one:

My only caveat would be that MMA is a sport that demands worry about a fighter's chin, no matter their skill level or past accomplishments.

It also requires adherence to the Tyson Tenet: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

You never know how one of these bouts will turn out.

Language alert on this one:

i think his point was that pretty much everyone is susceptible to a one punch knockout, so there's not much use in worrying if bo has a glass jaw or not. the goal is still to not take clean shots so it doesn't get tested.

I agree with everything that you said except the part where you say "guys like this are not that rare." There are only a few UFC fighters in the history of the UFC who had wrestling credentials which rival Bo's. The only UFC fighters that I am aware of with comparable wrestling credentials to Bo are Ruth (3 timer), Cejudo (Gold Medalist), Askren (dominant 2 timer) and possibly Khabib (Sambo) and Cormier (Olympics). Although there have been other fighters with great wrestling backgrounds in the UFC (i.e. Davis), I do not believe their wrestling abilities are on the same level as Bo's wrestling abilities.

However, as you stated, Bo will only go as far as his chin allows him.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
If you get knocked out by a flying knee to the face, or get put out by big punch right on the button it doesn't mean you have a bad chin. It means you are mortal and that you probably effed up. This is the reason Bo is taking a patient approach to his career.

If you get knocked out by a flying knee to the face, or get put out by big punch right on the button it doesn't mean you have a bad chin. It means you are mortal and that you probably effed up. This is the reason Bo is taking a patient approach to his career.
This is true. He will also lose. No one goes undefeated in MMA.

What is also true is an ability to eat punches is only measured by eating them. Nothing else. Until he does, we simply don’t know. And he will have to eat to be a champ.

Reactions: nitlion6
We are all going to enjoy the ride, watching that talent develop is must see tv.

That said I real wish he had given freestyle 5 years I think he had the talent to win a world gold, potentially through DT a few years down the road.

PS - I have a similar view of RBY.

We are all going to enjoy the ride, watching that talent develop is must see tv.

That said I real wish he had given freestyle 5 years I think he had the talent to win a world gold, potentially through DT a few years down the road.

PS - I have a similar view of RBY.
I think RBY could take the 61 national spot immediately, World Gold is a whole different level.

Has RBY ever made a age group World Team?

Reactions: diggerpup
This is true. He will also lose. No one goes undefeated in MMA.

What is also true is an ability to eat punches is only measured by eating them. Nothing else. Until he does, we simply don’t know. And he will have to eat to be a champ.
Rousey was submitting everyone inside a minute until she decided she could be the best striker too. Then she got hit and her MMA career was soon over.

I was happy to hear Bo talk about how he won’t go away from his wrestling.

I got a kick out of the color commentator (can’t remember his name) leaving Bo out of his top 5 prospects and dissing Bo because “hE dOEsN’t HAvE MuCH eXPeRiENcE”… Then Bo proceeds to rock his opponent and submit him in under a minute while said commentator eats his serving of crow

I got a kick out of the color commentator (can’t remember his name) leaving Bo out of his top 5 prospects and dissing Bo because “hE dOEsN’t HAvE MuCH eXPeRiENcE”… Then Bo proceeds to rock his opponent and submit him in under a minute while said commentator eats his serving of crow
Now he has 50 seconds more experience, think that guy changed his mind?

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
Say again? He asked for his next fight to be with the undefeated #3 ranked welterweight.
How much you want to bet that is not his next fight? He said repeatedly and as recently as last night that he will listen to his management on who to fight next. He also admitted last night that his management would not want the Chimaev fight next.

How much you want to bet that is not his next fight? He said repeatedly and as recently as last night that he will listen to his management on who to fight next. He also admitted last night that his management would not want the Chimaev fight next.
Bo understands brand building as well as anyone, and White knows what he has on his hands. Whatever he winds up doing next will be the smartest thing, and taking on top five guys doesn't allow space to maximize Bo's name.

I'm not sure there is actual science out there in regards to taking a punch, but the following characteristics seem to go into it. Having a big head, have a broad bone structure in your facial features, having a strong neck and shoulders, having the ability to see a punch coming and the reaction speed to brace for it, not having a history of CTE. I'm going to assume Bo has at least a reasonable ability to take a punch until shown otherwise.

Reactions: tikk10
No one goes undefeated in MMA.
1*f4gHVfA7I01o-J-PnhIo1A.gif

I thought he was ranking the winners from the first four fights. Bo hadn’t gone yet

I am unfamiliar with how often UFC fights occur. When can we expect Bo to fight again?
It depends on how much damage you take. Then when a fight is announced they will have time to train for each other. I wouldn't expect to see him again for a couple months, probably longer.

Quickness - like a cat
Strength - noodles of iron
Athleticism - A natural
Skill - he's been doing everything since he was 6, better than everyone else

Can take a punch - This element of MMA is no friggin joke, and boxers hit unlike other humans that come from a different athletic backgrounds. I love Bo, but I don't think we can crown him a future champion to be before he gets really hammered and powers through it to win. I have to pump the brakes a bit, and just enjoy the ride he is giving us. With his confidence he is also a born entertainer. They signed a great one tonight.
You're sounding a lot like HR, wanting to see Bo get punched.

Reactions: hlstone
You're sounding a lot like HR, wanting to see Bo get punched.
It is an absolute legitimate question and the main question on everyone's mind who is following Bo. Whether you are a fan or a foe, anyone who follows ufc/mma is asking the same question.

It is an absolute legitimate question and the main question on everyone's mind who is following Bo. Whether you are a fan or a foe, anyone who follows ufc/mma is asking the same question.
It was a joke. HR wants to see Bo get punched for the sake of getting punched. We want to see him get punched to see if he can take a punch.

Reactions: WPB_lion
ADVERTISEMENT