Boom! Both Dow and Nasdaq Soar Over 400 Points!

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
My bet is that this will attract bottom feeders for Monday, but the bear market will continue by mid-week. Some will spend the weekend looking for stocks that are low but that they feel have turned the corner. This will lift the indices briefly, but the long trend is still down.

I keep coming back to negative real rates that are ridiculous, and with a Federal Reserve that believes it needs to go only a small fraction of the way there to bring down inflation. Result: A longer, drawn out bear market with deeper lows.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
My bet is that this will attract bottom feeders for Monday, but the bear market will continue by mid-week. Some will spend the weekend looking for stocks that are low but that they feel have turned the corner. This will lift the indices briefly, but the long trend is still down.

I keep coming back to negative real rates that are ridiculous, and with a Federal Reserve that believes it needs to go only a small fraction of the way there to bring down inflation. Result: A longer, drawn out bear market with deeper lows.
Where do you think the S&P 500 will be at year end?

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Where do you think the S&P 500 will be at year end?

No idea, but I would be surprised if it is higher. The chance of being below 3500 is much greater than the chance of being above 4500. I would even extend that to 3000/5000.

There are easily 10 policy areas driving the markets lower, and none to drive markets higher, at least not in real terms (value after inflation).

This administration, the Democratic Party, including officials at the state/local level, have been doing everything possible to hurt the production side of our economy, while trying to make it easier for the consumption side. That is disastrous. They are recreating the 1970s, except this time it will be worse -- higher debt/GDP, tighter skilled labor workforce, leadership/knowledge void, war, broken trade, unfunded liabilities, etc.

The thing I find disgusting is that they openly acknowledge the harm caused by inflation as if to care about Americans, but then double down on all of the things that make inflation worse. Pure lunacy. It's either incompetence or a willful act to destroy the country.

Reactions: Sullivan and psuted