ADVERTISEMENT

Book: The Arena by Rafi Koahn

kgilbert78

Apr 9, 2013
Just came out and I'm reading it electronically courtesy of my local library. Good so far--chapter 7 is about Penn State. It's reasonably balanced all things considered.

Why would Chapter 7 be about Penn State? You wrote as if this were a topic familiar to the board, but I'm clueless.

The book is about stadiums and the behind the scenes experiences. The first 6 chapters were mostly about pro sports--but things like scoreboard operators and groundskeepers. Also a discussion of the Saints and Katrina vis-a-vis the Superdome and the fan experience in Raider Nation. In Chapter 7, he talks about college and tailgating and uses Penn State as an example--but also discusses the scandal. I do not agree with all of his conclusions. But he did make an effort to talk to all sides (Lubrano being one) and does call out Barron: "either Barron is extremely disconnected or willfully obtuse". On the flip side he holds the prevailing view in most of the world that Joe "did the minimum"--and quotes Woody Hayes about Nixon and his coverup (in a footnote, however).

It's a good book--even if I do not agree completely with him, it gives you a lot to think about (and I am speaking of the book as a whole).

It is a recent book (just released), so don't be surprised if his PSU material is quoted widely or gets some media traction.

Reactions: LionJim
A snippet from Chapter 7 (all typos are mine, as I can't copy the text):

"Grassroots tributes to Joe Paterno are everywhere: cardboard cutouts of the coach; T-shirts that depict an unmistakable illustration of the man's lower legs, since he always had his pant cuffs rolled up; flowers on the relandscaped ground where the Paterno statue once stood; bumper stickers that read 409 in reference to the wins record; cases of commemorative Paterno Legacy Series Lager from Duquesne Brewing Company; and tailgate signs that simply say THANK YOU, JOE PA. Without question, Beaver Stadium is where the Paterno legacy finds its most devoted apologists; it has remained a place of worship to the coach even as any official honors from the school have been stripped away. I ask one fan, who is serving deviled eggs off a Paterno platter, if the topic of the former coach is still divisive among Penn State fans. He shakes his head. "I think it is more of a division between the fan base and everybody else," he says. But these days, "everybody else" seems to include the university itself.

Earlier in the week, for instance, I have a meeting with Eric Barron, at which the university president bristles at the mere mention of Paterno, shifting in his seat irritably and questioning what the long-time coach has to do with Beaver Stadium. He sighs, assuring me the fan base has moved on, that it is a nonissue. "It is old news," he says, as if I'm the last person on earth to understand this point. "It is not only old news, but if you wander around the stadium, nobody says that. It's not there." Our meeting is cut short a few minutes later. Afterward I receive a strong-armed e-mail from a Penn State PR flack, telling me she is trying to have the rest of my interviews in State College canceled, sing the president didn't appreciate my line of questioning. (None are canceled.)

All of which leads me to conclude one of two things: either Barron is extremely disconnected or willfully obtuse. Because as overwhelming visual and experiential evidence suggests, and as my friend with the Paterno platter puts it to me before the homecoming matchup, "People have never stopped talking about it around here." He adds, "The board won't admit they did anything wrong (in how they handled the firing of Paterno, who was let go over the phone), and it infuriates a lot of us, me included."

the next few paragraphs deal with Lubrano, who the author met and sat with during the game

A snippet from Chapter 7 (all typos are mine, as I can't copy the text):

"Grassroots tributes to Joe Paterno are everywhere: cardboard cutouts of the coach; T-shirts that depict an unmistakable illustration of the man's lower legs, since he always had his pant cuffs rolled up; flowers on the relandscaped ground where the Paterno statue once stood; bumper stickers that read 409 in reference to the wins record; cases of commemorative Paterno Legacy Series Lager from Duquesne Brewing Company; and tailgate signs that simply say THANK YOU, JOE PA. Without question, Beaver Stadium is where the Paterno legacy finds its most devoted apologists; it has remained a place of worship to the coach even as any official honors from the school have been stripped away. I ask one fan, who is serving deviled eggs off a Paterno platter, if the topic of the former coach is still divisive among Penn State fans. He shakes his head. "I think it is more of a division between the fan base and everybody else," he says. But these days, "everybody else" seems to include the university itself.

Earlier in the week, for instance, I have a meeting with Eric Barron, at which the university president bristles at the mere mention of Paterno, shifting in his seat irritably and questioning what the long-time coach has to do with Beaver Stadium. He sighs, assuring me the fan base has moved on, that it is a nonissue. "It is old news," he says, as if I'm the last person on earth to understand this point. "It is not only old news, but if you wander around the stadium, nobody says that. It's not there." Our meeting is cut short a few minutes later. Afterward I receive a strong-armed e-mail from a Penn State PR flack, telling me she is trying to have the rest of my interviews in State College canceled, sing the president didn't appreciate my line of questioning. (None are canceled.)

All of which leads me to conclude one of two things: either Barron is extremely disconnected or willfully obtuse. Because as overwhelming visual and experiential evidence suggests, and as my friend with the Paterno platter puts it to me before the homecoming matchup, "People have never stopped talking about it around here." He adds, "The board won't admit they did anything wrong (in how they handled the firing of Paterno, who was let go over the phone), and it infuriates a lot of us, me included."

the next few paragraphs deal with Lubrano, who the author met and sat with during the game
What did you think of the book, Tom??

only saw an excerpt -- have not read the book. Not sure if I will -- most of the books I read are from the Rev War era.
Makes sense. BTW, any recommendations on books about the Korean War? While not about the Revolution, I wonder if you've read up in that area. I'd like to read more about it given the recent passing of my father in law who was a Korea vet.

BTW, any recommendations on books about the Korean War?

probably the U.S. war about which I've read the least. I've only read a few books on the Korean War, and it was so long ago that i can't even remember what their titles were, or even whether I thought they were good or not.

Makes sense. BTW, any recommendations on books about the Korean War? While not about the Revolution, I wonder if you've read up in that area. I'd like to read more about it given the recent passing of my father in law who was a Korea vet.

Not to butt in here, but when I get interested in a topic I "Google" books about it, look for reviews on ones that sound interesting, and then hit Amazon and Goodreads for reader reviews. Can actually learn a lot about how comprehensive - or not -the book is and whether it's overly dry and geared toward an academic audience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT