ADVERTISEMENT

Bono to Wisconsin

nitlion6

Mar 26, 2012
There is a thread on HR reporting Bono has been offered and accepted the Wisconsin head coaching position. Reader going to Wisconsin with him.

Great hire.

Now who takes the SDST job? Hopefully someone who can build upon what Bono has built.

Nice addition for Wisky. It will be interesting to see who follows him and if Wick and others stay.

Gross will stay put, right? Already one transfer under his belt. I'd expect the Wicks will stay too, but what do I know...

He’s already changed his Twitter profile. I’m of the mind that I like what he did at SDSU and wished he stayed there, but you cannot deny the opportunity for him.

I wish him nothing but the best
(except against PSU).

Interesting move. Bono's got a nice track record at SDSU. He's walking into a nice environment at Wisky, though it will be a real challenge to elevate the team in the B1G, at least in the short term.

I always feel for the recruits in these situations. The respective recruits:

SDSU:
- Peyton Robb, Owatonna, MN - 133/141
- Zach Price, Johnston, IA - 141
- Alex Lloyd, Shakopee, MN - 157
- Kenny O'Neil, Prior Lake, MN - 174

Wisky:
- Drew Scharenbock, Sun Prairie, WI - 157
- Jeremy Schoenherr, Stratford, WI - 149
- Jared Krattiger, Waterford, WI - 184/197
- Joey Sanchez, St. Paris Graham, OH - 157
- Tyler Dow, Stoughton, WI - 165/174

Schopp likes South Dakota (the state itself) and SDSU and while I think becoming a Big 10 coach is the end game for him, is it possible he could be in the mix of candidates? Could be an interesting hire although AJ is still relatively inexperienced as a coach.

Heard a rumor a Connor Brown might be coming with from SDSU. That would fill Wisconsin’s biggest whole with an NCAA qualifier.

Heard a rumor a Connor Brown might be coming with from SDSU. That would fill Wisconsin’s biggest whole with an NCAA qualifier.

qualified for Nationals @ 125, and went 1-2 while there (lost to Luke Welch and Zeke Moisey). Looks to be a career 125 lber in college. He was 170-5 in high school (in Missouri). I believe he was a true freshman this past season, so he does have a RS available.

Surprised with no Schopp or Hahn. I feel like that is good for Wisconsin with possible recruits or transfers. I thought if Schopp/Hahn got the job they would keep guys at SDSU.

if kolat isnt the WVU guy, maybe hahn/schopp get that step up?

Bono to Wisconsin, huh? Didn't see that coming. Love his music, but didn't know he wrestled.

ZZsydLk.jpg

on FRL today CP says Chris Pendelton and hahn are names he is hearing at SDSU

They've been together since 1976, can't see them splitting up now

Becker would be a really good fit for SDSU

Will Wisconsin now have "The Edge"?

Too early to tell if they’ll also have the edge. Maybe we’ll know by New Year’s day. But by all accounts it’s a beautiful day in Madison now that UW is confident they found what they were looking for in a coach. And it’s apparently no ordinary love for Bono. Reportedly, the UW president himself called Bono during negotiations to say, “All I want is you. Please be the one.”

Even though Bono has zero wrestling or coaching experience, the AD said they’ve already seen a huge jump in pride for the wrestling program, which he described as “magnificent.” When Bono was asked what he thought the key to his wrestlers’ success will be, speaking slowly and melodiously for effect, he simply said “desire.” He went on to say that he’s honored to be coaching in the heartland of America and that he felt like he was in God’s country at UW.

Bono was asked by a reporter about the rumor that he’s big on conditioning and making his wrestlers do a lot of cardio. He confirmed that’s true, explaining that his team will be running ... to stand still on the podium at NCAAs. He added that bringing UW its first ever NCAA championship would definitely be the sweetest thing. “That’s when love comes to town for me,” Bono said. When asked what he would say to skeptical UW fans who aren’t yet sure they can get behind a coach with no experience, Bono grew serious, looked straight into the camera, and with a a quiet intensity like a bullet to the blue sky, he said: “We’ll get this done with or without you.”

Yeah, definitely a different vibe there now.

Too early to tell if they’ll also have the edge. Maybe we’ll know by New Year’s day. But by all accounts it’s a beautiful day in Madison now that UW is confident they found what they were looking for in a coach. And it’s apparently no ordinary love for Bono. Reportedly, the UW president himself called Bono during negotiations to say, “All I want is you. Please be the one.”

Even though Bono has zero wrestling or coaching experience, the AD said they’ve already seen a huge jump in pride for the wrestling program, which he described as “magnificent.” When Bono was asked what he thought the key to his wrestlers’ success will be, speaking slowly and melodiously for effect, he simply said “desire.” He went on to say that he’s honored to be coaching in the heartland of America and that he felt like he was in God’s country at UW.

Bono was asked by a reporter about the rumor that he’s big on conditioning and making his wrestlers do a lot of cardio. He confirmed that’s true, explaining that his team will be running ... to stand still on the podium at NCAAs. He added that bringing UW its first ever NCAA championship would definitely be the sweetest thing. “That’s when love comes to town for me,” Bono said. When asked what he would say to skeptical UW fans who aren’t yet sure they can get behind a coach with no experience, Bono grew serious, looked straight into the camera, and with a a quiet intensity like a bullet to the blue sky, he said: “We’ll get this done with or without you.”

Yeah, definitely a different vibe there now.
Reading all of that gave me Vertigo.

Small world category: when I was living in Manhattan, I went to the St. Patrick's Day parade in 1982. I had tickets to see US the next night at The Ritz (now Webster Hall). As I'm on the corner of 5th Avenue and 58th Street (to my best recollection), I see these four short guys who look familiar from somewhere. In a second it hits me - it's U2! Back then, they were not famous at all, so no one bothered them a bit.

I was just looking at the Wisconsin roster, that is a pretty bare cupboard. It looks like it may be awhile before he is able to show much improvement.

That's a solid addition to Bono's staff. McDonough is a DT type guy; high technical skills/achievements along with a personality made for recruiting.

Reactions: nitlion6
I was just looking at the Wisconsin roster, that is a pretty bare cupboard. It looks like it may be awhile before he is able to show much improvement.
How is it a bare cupboard? They have a lot of young talent(freshman and sophomores). Are they PSU or OSU? NO, but they are up and coming especially with the new coaching staff. Just because they don't have NCAA champs doesn't mean its bare.

How is it a bare cupboard? They have a lot of young talent(freshman and sophomores). Are they PSU or OSU? NO, but they are up and coming especially with the new coaching staff. Just because they don't have NCAA champs doesn't mean its bare.
Bono as head coach is a good hire, and he will, imo, get results. It appears by your tag that you're a Wisconsin fan, so no disrespect to the program...Wick is awesome, though scorers Crone and Robertson are departing, Bono & staff should get more than the 27.5 points Wisconsin earned this year, not sure they're a top-10 team for the very near future though. That's the gist of what was alluded to, if I read it right.

I see Wisconsins program as a potential top 10 type program. I just don't see them doing that with the talent on the current roster. I like the Wicks, but I think Bono needs to recruit better after that and its going to take time to get there.

Agreed. It's a solid roster. Good enough and young enough to win duals and be in the conversation with recruits. Also some AA talent. Bono is in a great situation

125- Brown/Rotundo So
133- Konrath FR
141- Stickley JR
149- Martin JR
157- Wick So
165- Wick So
174- Christensen SR
184- Krattinger FR / Reinhardt JR
197- Ritter JR
Hwt- Hillger FR

RS- Dow, Lloyd?, Robb?

Are they deep enough to afford multiple injuries or transfers? No, but there's reason to be optimistic in Wisconsin.

I see Wisconsins program as a potential top 10 type program. I just don't see them doing that with the talent on the current roster. I like the Wicks, but I think Bono needs to recruit better after that and its going to take time to get there.
Yea because this years team will be better than last years team. From this years team their will be one starter leaving after the 2019 season and that is Christensen. Realistically the Badgers could have 10 qualifiers this year.. Cupboard is pretty bare.

ADVERTISEMENT