ADVERTISEMENT

BOLD Predictions for Nationals

Delete your account

I deserve this one, I'll admit it though: I am a pessimist when it comes to sports in general for my teams, maybe PSU Football has let me down a few times and my Pro Teams are not good at all. I should know by now, PSU wrestling has to be the exception.

I don't know why I still get pessimistic about Penn State wrestling. Cael and his guys have come through over and over and over for about a decade now and I still have thoughts like the one above.

Reactions: Gebmo and dunkej01
Why get so stressed over s walk in the park team victory ? For me it’s team first . That means a team victory is the highest priority first , individual championships second .
We have two definites imo and most likely four finalists. If we strike lightning we could have 7 champions which of course is extremely unlikely but to me it just shows how great we are doing at this time.

I deserve this one, I'll admit it though: I am a pessimist when it comes to sports in general for my teams, maybe PSU Football has let me down a few times and my Pro Teams are not good at all. I should know by now, PSU wrestling has to be the exception.

I don't know why I still get pessimistic about Penn State wrestling. Cael and his guys have come through over and over and over for about a decade now and I still have thoughts like the one above.

Winners win.

I don’t have time for Chicken Littles.

Reactions: McScoreley

My original post about 2 winners was just a realistic call. If the over under for national champs was 3 what would most people pick. 165, 174 and Heavyweight are tough weights and great wrestler at 184 with our kid that did not see a lot of action down the stretch. Personally I think Rasheed could be the one kid that comes up short of the semis.

So b!tch week is over (ie the week between conferences and nationals week) and its time for BOLD predictions.

Not BOLD predictions..
1. Penn State Wins team title
2. PSU goes 5-0 on Friday night
3. HR melts down after a bad round and 2 threads pop up calling for firing TnT
4. ESPN does a better job streaming than flo

BOLD predictions
1. PSU loses the team title
2. PSU goes 7-0 on Friday night
3. HR bans the use of Carl on its site
4. pick a >14th seed or lower to turn a bracket upside down
Pittsburg heavy beats white

Off subject but since we're talking about Thomas possibly knocking off White: I saw Seth took Thomas to SV in a tournament this year. That's amazing considering he looks to be redshirting next year with Anthony looking to comeback. He'll have 2 full years in the room after HS and is looking great already. I feel Seth can come in as a high level AA and then be possibly a 2 year favorite after Gable graduates.

What is Pyles talking about here ??

Round of 12 is Friday late afternoon - after quarters. Right ?

If you win quarters, they give you 6th place points on your score —-> which is 6 points. Plus 3 for advancement.

Soooo. This doesn’t even make sense.

9 pts max a wrestler who won quarters. (Before bonus)
3 + 2.5 = 5.5 if you won R12.
(Before bonus)
———

Does he mean this is his scoring after semis ??? (Where a semi winner would have 12 + 4 = 16 before bonus)

o_O

Off subject but since we're talking about Thomas possibly knocking off White: I saw Seth took Thomas to SV in a tournament this year. That's amazing considering he looks to be redshirting next year with Anthony looking to comeback. He'll have 2 full years in the room after HS and is looking great already. I feel Seth can come in as a high level AA and then be possibly a 2 year favorite after Gable graduates.

Kerkvliet and Schultz will make him earn it, those 2 are every bit as good as Gable.

Agree. It is a phenomenal entrance.. just hellish driving if you are doing it repeatedly and at the wrong time.
Ha! Deal with it every week, as you know. Unavoidable too, for us, as there's no alternative that's less time. We deal...same with Squirrel Hill.

What is Pyles talking about here ??

Round of 12 is Friday late afternoon - after quarters. Right ?

If you win quarters, they give you 6th place points on your score —-> which is 6 points. Plus 3 for advancement.

Soooo. This doesn’t even make sense.

9 pts max a wrestler who won quarters. (Before bonus)
3 + 2.5 = 5.5 if you won R12.
(Before bonus)
———

Does he mean this is his scoring after semis ??? (Where a semi winner would have 12 + 4 = 16 before bonus)

o_O
Round of 12 is Friday Night, same as Semis, so it appears he's counting both. Even then, the numbers aren't adding up. Using chalk only, through semis in the Championship Bracket, and R12 in Wrestlebacks, my number is 108.5 for the team, no bonus.

Reactions: diggerpup

Its not a crazy scenario. Is it likely? No? Crazy? Absolutely not.

125 Lee
133 Micic
141 Yianni
149 Ashnault
157 Nolf
165 Marinelli
174 Zahid
184 Martin
197 Nickal
HWY Gable

Its not a crazy scenario. Is it likely? No? Crazy? Absolutely not.

125 Lee
133 Micic
141 Yianni
149 Ashnault
157 Nolf
165 Marinelli
174 Zahid
184 Martin
197 Nickal
HWY Gable
all #1s during part of the year... stretch?

Very weak. If you want to defend your ranking go ahead and do so with some facts, not a worthless one liner.

With all due respect to FLO (and I mean that sincerely), who gives a sh*t what their rankings are?

Everything will get settled on the mat. The only ranking that has some influence (coaches ranking; seeding) obviously disagreed with FLO. They had Shak ranked 2nd.

So, a media organization ranked him lower...the only impact that has is on fans and their opinions.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
It'd finally be rooted in something tangible, not "he got 7th one time and wrestles at Penn State."

What tangible evidence do you have that the others are better?

Your ACC threesome has wrestled each other multiple times, and since you have pushed each one into your top-5, it helps perpetuate the myth that they've wrestled a tough schedule. When they've stepped outside the ACC they have a combined 3-6 record against ranked opponents. (Bonaccorsi 19-6 better than Rasheed 19-0??? I'd like to see your tangible evidence)

If you like wrestlers with okay, but not great, results over an injured, but undefeated, wrestler ... fine. Just don't try to pretend your ranking is rooted in anything other than 'subjectivity'.

Last edited:
With all due respect to FLO (and I mean that sincerely), who gives a sh*t what their rankings are?

Everything will get settled on the mat. The only ranking that has some influence (coaches ranking; seeding) obviously disagreed with FLO. They had Shak ranked 2nd.

So, a media organization ranked him lower...the only impact that has is on fans and their opinions.

Put me down in the IDGAS column

vodka's grandma receives many phone calls to get him some food and soda during the tournament

friday night hr has a meltdown and they send in their plunge protection team.

during the finals cenzo- marinelli match someone shut off the electricity and cael is blamed

vodka gets a call from ncaa compliance informing him their investigation is finished and iowa will be stripped of their titles during the gable years for gaming the system

iachief has had enough and moves to bwi

while hiding behind the ref terry takes a swing at cael, it lands and cael doesn't notice

during a match the ref asks casey what he thinks

at the beginning of the 125 finals match someone thought it was a good decision to ask dake and tom ryan their thoughts and they forget to pan to the match

on friday the market crashes and nico gets a call

So b!tch week is over (ie the week between conferences and nationals week) and its time for BOLD predictions.

Not BOLD predictions..
1. Penn State Wins team title
2. PSU goes 5-0 on Friday night
3. HR melts down after a bad round and 2 threads pop up calling for firing TnT
4. ESPN does a better job streaming than flo

BOLD predictions
1. PSU loses the team title
2. PSU goes 7-0 on Friday night
3. HR bans the use of Carl on its site
4. pick a >14th seed or lower to turn a bracket upside down
Dummy me...but...who is "HR"?

Spencer loses to Fausz Thursday night after Jo Jo takes out the Bull. HR goes off line after accusations of Russian Collusion.

Reactions: diggerpup
PSU has nine semi finalists and the team score race is over Friday night.

Hawkeye Report; Iowa's equivalent to this message board (although equating the two sites will cause some interesting feedback).

Yeah, that was my bad..... I won't be doing that again(even in jest).

As a first time browser and poster on your Board (Hawkeye Fan), I find it to be quite entertaining. Good natured (relatively) shots at Iowa and I completely understand that. I look forward to finding some good conversations about actual wrestling and now that Iowa has adjusted to the new age of recruiting, actual competition with Penn State down the line. You're lucky to have generational talent like Nolf and Nickal - enjoy it!

As a first time browser and poster on your Board (Hawkeye Fan), I find it to be quite entertaining. Good natured (relatively) shots at Iowa and I completely understand that. I look forward to finding some good conversations about actual wrestling and now that Iowa has adjusted to the new age of recruiting, actual competition with Penn State down the line. You're lucky to have generational talent like Nolf and Nickal - enjoy it!
Welcome and "thats what we do"... enjoy these two phenoms, similar to the enjoyment of Taylor and Ruth and the future of the killer B's--- Brooks, Beard and Big Snacks

ADVERTISEMENT