ADVERTISEMENT

Bold Predictions 2016 - 2017

I felt dirty posting that yet realized it will eventually fade...

j1iHmQF.jpg

I figure a big chunk of this board is Pens fans so I'll leave this here in case anyone hasn't seen.

Reactions: hlstone
Now here is bold, Cael finally figures out, through trial an error, how to coach and Penn State wins the next four national titles, but Jammenz still cries foul, because of Cael's recruiting classes and Creedo claims that Rutgers would have won the title in 2018, if only his cruise liner would have come in.

The Brands bros combined resting heart rate is 50. They don't get coronary's, they give them out to thy enemy!
To whom... I think Tom and Terry have mild stress attacks having to tell the Hawkeye faithful at the end of the year once again... 1. We (Iowa) don't have the firepower that Penn State has. 2. 4th isn't good enough here at Iowa and 3. Cael has set the bar and he's set it high...going forward. You might want to test Tom's heart rate then.

Reactions: purescurve
That's whats make Tom and Terry so special. They put their heart and soul into it. Hours and hours of shedding blood, sweat and tears trying to coach young men to be their absolute best. World Champion hero's in my book. Great men. Great ambassadors of the sport. Everything they do is about being a champion at life.

If they could only refrain from infantile behavior at matside, I might be buying. Until then, not so much.

This isn't a Tom and Terry issue... it's a referee issue. There's "Control of the Mat Area" rules for all coaches, and they're not called. The Brands' aren't the only coaches that push these rules, other coaches do too, yet fans focus on TnT because it's Iowa, my opinion.

For me personally, their behavior used to bug me a little, but not any more. My focus is entirely on what's more important...our guys wrestling to their ability, and not all the side shows. And as a fan of college wrestling, not just Penn State Wrestling...I have grown to have tons of admiration for Tom and Terry.

This isn't a Tom and Terry issue... it's a referee issue. There's "Control of the Mat Area" rules for all coaches, and they're not called. The Brands' aren't the only coaches that push these rules, other coaches do too, yet fans focus on TnT because it's Iowa, my opinion.

For me personally, their behavior used to bug me a little, but not any more. My focus is entirely on what's more important...our guys wrestling to their ability, and not all the side shows. And as a fan of college wrestling, not just Penn State Wrestling...I have grown to have tons of admiration for Tom and Terry.

I totally agree with you. The rules are there and should be enforced. Start deducting team points for leaving the coaching area and ding coaches team points for disrespectful behavior and language to the referees and I think you'd see a change in behavior of all offenders, not just TnT.

For the Brands, this issue goes back to their college days. I forget which T it was lost a close match in the finals of Nationals one year before the second T wrestled. Second T threw a fit that I would have been embarrassed to see my 2 year old throw. It's just petulant behavior that I don't like to see in the sport I love.

Bold Prediction: Nathan Tomasello has already lost the last D1 match he ever will.

That's bold and I could see that. Biggest obstacle is 3 potential meetings with Gilman this year. Could be done as I was so thrilled last year Nico had to go through Gilman, not the beast NATO!

Reactions: jtothemfp
That's bold and I could see that. Biggest obstacle is 3 potential meetings with Gilman this year. Could be done as I was so thrilled last year Nico had to go through Gilman, not the beast NATO!

Most of the time, yes, indeed a beast, but for whatever reason, he gassed and wilted against Gilman in March.

Can't see NATO losing 3x either, so it's take your pick who wins on Saturday night most likely 85
What is interesting is that Gilman is 2-1 against NATO, was 2-0 against Garrett, and 0-2 against Nico. Some guys just match up better against certain styles and body types than others.

My specific comment on NATO is that I think he's fighting weight as well as his opponent at times. I think he and Gilman are even, but not IF he is trying to cut.

Reactions: purescurve
Last year at 125:

Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman

Last year at 125:

Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman > Nato > Nico > Gilman

As hilarious as it looks, that was basically it: Like a shell game three ways haha.

Last year at 125:

And then there's Dance, who's beaten all 3 during his career [none in March though].
*Noted you were stating last year only*

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler223
What is interesting is that Gilman is 2-1 against NATO, was 2-0 against Garrett, and 0-2 against Nico. Some guys just match up better against certain styles and body types than others.

My specific comment on NATO is that I think he's fighting weight as well as his opponent at times. I think he and Gilman are even, but not IF he is trying to cut.

Yes, the transitive principle doesn't always work so well. Small (but important) correction--Gilman was 0-3 against Nico!

I totally agree with you. The rules are there and should be enforced. Start deducting team points for leaving the coaching area and ding coaches team points for disrespectful behavior and language to the referees and I think you'd see a change in behavior of all offenders, not just TnT.

For the Brands, this issue goes back to their college days. I forget which T it was lost a close match in the finals of Nationals one year before the second T wrestled. Second T threw a fit that I would have been embarrassed to see my 2 year old throw. It's just petulant behavior that I don't like to see in the sport I love.

Second T had to be Tom--he wrestled up a weight from Terry. Tom had 3 titles and Terry just 2, losing to Purler from Nebraska one year. That must be the year you're referring to. I've always felt that Terry was more of a hot-head than Tom. I remember one year Terry wrestled Prescott, and there was a double disqualification!! Don't know if I've ever heard of another case of that!

Most of the time, yes, indeed a beast, but for whatever reason, he gassed and wilted against Gilman in March.
Nato is huge for 125, I think that is the key, Gilman can expose Nato's weight cut. I also think Suriano has the potential to expose it as well. How Suriano matches up against Gilman, hard say. We may have to just wait and see.

Nato is huge for 125, I think that is the key, Gilman can expose Nato's weight cut. I also think Suriano has the potential to expose it as well. How Suriano matches up against Gilman, hard say. We may have to just wait and see.

Very possible. We'll see how Nick works his way through the early season, look for signs...

Gilman just has his number. He plays Nato out, he wrestles very, very smart against him, and he wears him down. Nato cannot use his mighty-mouse strength against Gilman.

Yes, the transitive principle doesn't always work so well. Small (but important) correction--Gilman was 0-3 against Nico!
Thanks. Missed that one.

Yes, I've found wrestling to be the least transitive of sports. It's too individual to make any blanket statements from one guy to the next. Clagon gave Zain his toughest match last year. Good wrestler, but his match sticks out like a sore thumb compared to how easy Zain beat everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: garw
Since I mainly view here and rarely post, I'll start out with some "safe" bets:
1. TnT will not stay in their seats during an entire match the entire year!
2. There will be no "illegal fists" to the back of the head in Nebraska.

Big referee issue. But as Perry proved in the 157 pound big-10 final you do not have to be a Brands to get your way with wrestling officials.

Of course, ever since Tom stepped onto the mat to yell at both Cam Wade and the wrestling official and found Cael standing there barking at Tom and Tom not used to being challenged like that scampered back to his corner to yap at Cael from behind his assistant coaches and has forever more been known as the bug to Cael's windshield - Tom and Terry have been much improved with their corner behavior.

How do you tell these two apart? At least Tom & Terry wear different colored shirts.
cael-sanderson-934a1170ea9a85b3.jpg
11128303.jpeg

Big referee issue. But as Perry proved in the 157 pound big-10 final you do not have to be a Brands to get your way with wrestling officials.

Of course, ever since Tom stepped onto the mat to yell at both Cam Wade and the wrestling official and found Cael standing there barking at Tom and Tom not used to being challenged like that scampered back to his corner to yap at Cael from behind his assistant coaches and has forever more been known as the bug to Cael's windshield - Tom and Terry have been much improved with their corner behavior.
I assure you the Brands aren't scared of any man no matter how big and ugly they are. I've never seen them hide behind anyone. They would confront Goliath if he challenged them or their wrestlers

It was the funniest, most hilarious broadcast of a wrestling match, I have ever heard. Literally fall down funny, start to finish...

A lot of discussion on that commercial over on FOS, and rightly so. But not so much here, which is certainly okk.

I assure you the Brands aren't scared of any man no matter how big and ugly they are. I've never seen them hide behind anyone. They would confront Goliath if he challenged them or their wrestlers
I can see the Brands dropping the gloves to defend their guy if they felt their kid was being bullied or threatened.
Same way Cael was standing right there when Tommy came out to bark at the ref and Wade. Now you might not be able to picture Brands scooting like a yapping pomeranian back to his corner and yapping at Cael from behind his assistants, but that does not mean he did not. He did. Afterwards when ask about what went on there, Cael's response was there wasn't anything there. Think about it. It would have been like the bug and windshield.

Just my perspective. That was pretty close to the point in time where the corner behavior of the twins improved dramatically.

Reactions: garw and bdv
My bold prediction (and this is just for NoVa Lion): Next time I make it to Rec Hall, I will not nearly get ticketed for holding up traffic at the parking garage!

Yes, it was fairly obvious that Flores was concussed (it was a semi against Rey though, not a final). I think everybody in the world except for Tim Foley was shocked that nobody stopped the match. (Foley actually is on record saying it was an acting job)

You're right it was the semis and then he defaulted to 6th. Yet another senior moment.

Let us know next time you come to Wreck Hall and we will stake out the garage exit and make sure you get a ticket. :D

The Brands bros combined resting heart rate is 50. They don't get coronary's, they give them out to thy enemy!

I've never seen Terry at rest. When he's in the corner and sitting down he's still rocking back and forth.

In what has now become an annual tradition - A large shipment of recently printed, but unworn tee shirts will find its way from Minnesota to some where in remote Africa.

ADVERTISEMENT