ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Shoop owes PSU $891,856

This news is not going to help Deadbeat Bob get his next job after this season. He has moved every two years over the last many years. PSU would be idiots to settle. Yeah I know they are idiots.

Bob certainly thought Jones was going to go down at UT and he could step in. Sorry, Bob and F you, pay us.

Not PPB. He is a character. I will never ignore certain posters - PPB, Barry & Pennsy_Kraken come to mind. They are the collective straw that stirs the board. Heck, can you imagine the board without Barry? Dull. Well, he was in the penalty box a couple of times, so we were without him for stretches. Always a breath of fresh air when he returned.

Fair enough. Now if only we could get bushwood and pnnylion back. This board isn't the same without them.

Could it be that he thought CJF was on the hot seat and chose to pick his job of choice instead of being fired?

If so, horrible business decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkies
Fair enough. Now if only we could get bushwood and pnnylion back. This board isn't the same without them.
Those guys "were" special. I should have included pnnylion in that pantheon. You're getting pretty close to legend status yourself. ;)

Reactions: step.eng69
Just an FYI...it is not malpractice for a client to sign a contract that has clause(s) that End up being bad for him/her. Im certain this issue was discussed with Shoop and any lawyer worth his/her hourly rate documented that this clause may cause a problem in the future but it was a risk Shoop was willing to take.

I would also assume that the contract has a clause that provides attorney's fees to the prevailing party (most contacts have this). If Shoop loses he might owe a good bit more than &900,000

I could be wrong about this but given his style of posting, I think bushwood is still AROUND but POSTING under a different NAME. :eek:

Tennessee board, FWIW:

"There were rumors when Shoop was hired that he was told by Franklin that if he interviewed with UT he couldn't come back to Penn State. As a result his view was that he was not required to pay the buyout. The fact that his attorney informed PSU he wouldn't be paying the buyout seems to validate this rumor. Shoop and his agent are not dumb so they clearly feel that they have the facts on their side. We will see how his plays out. My guess is that it gets settled down the road."

"I recall one of the Nashville sports talk radio stations talking about this the week of the Vanderbilt game. They were saying his plan to stay with Tennessee was not a long range plan given the way Penn State let him out without requiring payment right away. They said all the deal required was he he land a head coaching job. They admitted they did not know the arrangement of who was going to be responsible for it; however, they felt UT would pay it. According to them, he could have taken a head coaching job at an OVC school and that would have avoided the buyout. I really thought he would have gone to Western Kentucky when it opened up given that his family was living in Nashville. He may be waiting for the MTSU or Vandy job to open up."

Tennessee board, FWIW:

"There were rumors when Shoop was hired that he was told by Franklin that if he interviewed with UT he couldn't come back to Penn State. As a result his view was that he was not required to pay the buyout. The fact that his attorney informed PSU he wouldn't be paying the buyout seems to validate this rumor. Shoop and his agent are not dumb so they clearly feel that they have the facts on their side. We will see how his plays out. My guess is that it gets settled down the road."

That is exactly what I expected Shoop's case to be. Flawed as it is lol

Reactions: mn78psu83
:eek: This one's a keeper

M3ASrnj8sR-8.png

So a verbal exchange can void a written contract?

Plus I don't think his contract was between Franklin and Shoop, but the university and Shoop

Reactions: bytir
So a verbal exchange can void a written contract?

Plus I don't think his contract was between Franklin and Shoop, but the university and Shoop
I'm not an attorney so I'll ask the board experts. If Franklin really did give Shoop an "if/then" ultimatum, would it matter anyway? If it was done prior to interviewing with UT then Shoop was informed of the consequences beforehand. If he still went for the interview he can't claim ignorance. I suppose it's possible Shoop told Franklin about the interview afterward but that would open up a whole other can of worms.

That is a Fing stupid comment

Whatever. I wouldn't give those people running this school another dime, from anybody or any source. Feel free to give them your money if you are so inclined. Lubert and Dambly thank you.
I will because PSU is more than the board. Since u don't care anymore then sign off this site on a permanent basis since you could care less about PSU

Tennessee board, FWIW:

"I recall one of the Nashville sports talk radio stations talking about this the week of the Vanderbilt game. They were saying his plan to stay with Tennessee was not a long range plan given the way Penn State let him out without requiring payment right away. They said all the deal required was he he land a head coaching job. They admitted they did not know the arrangement of who was going to be responsible for it; however, they felt UT would pay it. According to them, he could have taken a head coaching job at an OVC school and that would have avoided the buyout. I really thought he would have gone to Western Kentucky when it opened up given that his family was living in Nashville. He may be waiting for the MTSU or Vandy job to open up."

This sounds consistent w/ my understanding of such situations under "employee contract law" in most states. Shoop cannot be "under exclusive employment contract" to two employers at the same time. In addition, once PSU tells him he is terminated if he merely speaks with UTenn, they have likely voided the existing contract outside its stated provisions and cannot prevent him from making a living. PSU is going to lose this case because they terminated Shoop outside the provisions of his contract and they're not permitted to prevent him from working without compensation for same (i.e., non-compete agreement).

I will because PSU is more than the board. Since u don't care anymore then sign off this site on a permanent basis since you could care less about PSU

Nah, don't think I will, but thanks for the advice. I'll put it in the same place I put all of the other stuff you post.

Whatever. I wouldn't give those people running this school another dime, from anybody or any source. Feel free to give them your money if you are so inclined. Lubert and Dambly thank you.

I don't understand this attitude. Did you really give any money prior? I'm guessing not much or at all. I have and will continue to donate to the athletic programs I care about. In fact, my wife and I recently made a large contribution to the Football Excellence Fund. Our money will be used to help improve the Lasch building. Im proud and humbled that we were in a position to support the program in this way and to continue to support the great kids Coach Franklin and staff are bringing to our school. We also continue to support Thon and other sports too.

While I don't like or support the actions of most of the dumb asses on the BOT, they don't represent what Penn State is to me. Don't let a bunch of self important assholes define you or PSU. PSU is defined by its fine student body, its high character student athletes, its impact on our community and the world, and the proudness each Penn Stater feels when we say, We Are.

This sounds consistent w/ my understanding of such situations under "employee contract law" in most states. Shoop cannot be "under exclusive employment contract" to two employers at the same time. In addition, once PSU tells him he is terminated if he merely speaks with UTenn, they have likely voided the existing contract outside its stated provisions and cannot prevent him from making a living. PSU is going to lose this case because they terminated Shoop outside the provisions of his contract and they're not permitted to prevent him from working without compensation for same (i.e., non-compete agreement).

So I could tell my cable company that I don't want to be part of my contract anymore and the contract would be nullified just like that? Sweet!

Reactions: mn78psu83
So I could tell my cable company that I don't want to be part of my contract anymore and the contract would be nullified just like that? Sweet!
Give it a try and let me know how it works out. I'm not sure Comcast will buy that from us though.

Wouldn't they have actually had to terminate him though? And wouldn't the actual language in the contract make a difference? I'm no contract law expert, but many agents I deal with have non-compete clauses in their contract and they're pretty binding regardless of the reason for leaving.

Give them all the money you want. It's your money. I've already seen what they do with it, time and time again, so I shall not.

Reactions: Sharkies

Wrong idiot, your cable company is not your employer and you don't have an "exclusive guaranteed employment contract" with them nitwit. "Employment Contracts" are governed by a unique portion of State Law controlled by each State's "Department of Labor" which has nothing whatsoever to do with your cable contract @sshat.

Wouldn't they have actually had to terminate him though? And wouldn't the actual language in the contract make a difference? I'm no contract law expert, but many agents I deal with have non-compete clauses in their contract and they're pretty binding regardless of the reason for leaving.

PSU did not have Shoop signed to a "Non-Compete Agreement" - they're trying to collect under a Termination "Buyout Clause". Unfortunately for PSU, it sounds like THEY, not Shoop, terminated the contract prior to Shoop taking the UTenn job! PSU can't very well try to collect under a "Termination Clause" when it is in fact PSU doing the "terminating" of the "Guaranteed Contract"! Hard to see how you think PSU had a "Non-Compete Agreement" with Shoop that even PSU admits they never had???

There should be an associate athletic director assigned to coaching contracts and buyouts.

I think they would have to say "fine your fired as a customer " and then u would be out of the contract because they terminated the contract not you

PSU did not have Shoop signed to a "Non-Compete Agreement" - they're trying to collect under a Termination "Buyout Clause". Unfortunately for PSU, it sounds like THEY, not Shoop, terminated the contract prior to Shoop taking the UTenn job! PSU can't very well try to collect under a "Termination Clause" when it is in fact PSU doing the "terminating" of the "Guaranteed Contract"! Hard to see how you think PSU had a "Non-Compete Agreement" with Shoop that even PSU admits they never had???
I don't recall reading or hearing anything that said PSU terminated him.

I will never ignore certain posters - PPB, Barry & Pennsy_Kraken come to mind. They are the collective straw that stirs the board.

Wrong idiot, your cable company is not your employer and you don't have an "exclusive guaranteed employment contract" with them nitwit.
Thus arrives some of the humor I mentioned in an earlier post :oops:

Was Shoop fired/terminated?
I don't recall reading or hearing anything that said PSU terminated him.
only a dimwitted nitwit asshat would come to the conclusion that Shoop was terminated by PSU

Was Shoop fired/terminated?

only a dimwitted nitwit asshat would come to the conclusion that Shoop was terminated by PSU

Absolutely sounds like PSU terminated him in regards to him asking for permission to speak with UTenn who had apparently approached him....and honestly I don't blame PSU one bit for terminating him once he made it clear he wasn't 100% committed to PSU. But PSU did fire him via the way handled the situation when he asked for permission to speak with UTenn - not vice versa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT