ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Shoop owes PSU $891,856

I doubt it's the BOT that decided to sue Shoop
Much as I dislike our BOT, I'd have no problem with them being the ones doing this. Contracts should be honored. Had they done the same with MM he might not have won his suit (the courts are so crazy these days on so many issues, I cannot say that he would have lost for a fact).

Reactions: Pride
Lawsuits between ex coaches and Universities. I thought the buy out happens when the coach decides to leave and either he gives the money back or the place he's going to pays up.

Or was the language written this way because of the sanctions?
Doubtful. These kinds of clauses are pretty standard. Think of the "noncompete" clause in most broadcasting contracts for example.

In other words, he is trying to negotiate his buyout downward. When they settle, probably won't know the amount.

PSU shouldn't settle. It's a pretty cut and dry case. Plus they seem to allege that there's proof that Shoop had no intention of ever paying.

Reactions: Pride and mn78psu83
Damn right. He agreed to the terms. Honor the contract. Pay up.
Going from memory, wasn't there speculation when Shoop left that UT boosters would pay the buyout? If that is true, wonder what happened?

Yes. That was the speculation. The AD quotes are pretty blunt and he didn't seem inclined to pass the orange hat around for contributions.

Vols athletic director David Hart said in January 2016 that Shoop's decision to keep Tennessee out of the buyout was "a very, very loud statement" about how bad he wanted to be a part of UT's program.

"He was willing to handle that," Hart told GoVols247. "and we were able to move forward then in a very rapid fashion to try to get something, which we were able to do."

Sounds like bad enough to take the risk of a big financial loss.

Last edited:
PSU is, fiscally-speaking, a very strange University. They threw $$$$$ at "questionable Sandusky claimants", but have now decided to sue someone over a fractional amount of just one of those payouts?

I guess Old Sandy broke out her HP calculator and determined that $900,000, after legal fees, represented the equivalent proceeds of about 450 "bake sales".:rolleyes:
Lame post. They are doing the right thing here. Why criticize the decision?

Very bad look for Shoop and UT IMO. Granted it is Shoop's responsibility but his refusal to pay certainly gives an appearance that UT is okay with that.

Hard for me to believe that Shoop's lawyer allowed him to sign a contract where this "buyout clause" was Shoop's responsibility and not UTenn's responsibility. This was a payment due for the remainder of Shoop's contract which was essentially equal to Shoop's 1st year compensation - IOW, if Shoop is really legally responsible, and was not "indemnified" by UTenn, he essentially agreed to work for no money his 1st year at UTenn for the privilege of working at UTenn beyond the 1st year??? (and he was making roughly the same money at PSU as he is now making at UTenn....so he literally gave up a full year's compensation for the privilege of working at UTenn instead of PSU, huh???).

Such "poison pill" buyout provisions of existing contracts (more precisely "buyout of the remaining portion of the standing current contract") are structured in the "New Contract" to be the responsibility of the NEW EMPLOYER, not the "new employee" (i.e., ex-employee of existing contract being bought out), because this is the only way the "New Contract" makes any financial sense whatsoever for the prospective "employee" (FLO being a good example here - his $6 million buyout "liability" of the remainder of his PSU Contract was assumed and "indemnified" by his New Employer, the Texans, otherwise it would have made little financial sense and would have served to directly deflate what the Texans were offering him by $6 million - who would sign a deal like that? If the New Employer wants to put you under contract and hire you, than they understand that they need to pay the large "termination fee" of your existing contract to make that happen.).

If I were Shoop, I would sue the crap out of my lawyer for malpractice if UTenn - the "New Employer" - is not responsible for this. Frankly, I don't believe it is possible to be under "exclusive guaranteed contract" to two employers at the same time under contract law in most states, which is what the case would be if Shoop's "termination clause" of his existing contract was not satisfied.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Shoop wanted to be a head coach and jumped to UT because he thought a good season was more likely at UT than PSU to make him more marketable. Bad bet. Moorehead came in and could have had the Minnesota HC job, among others.

He bet that a big season at UT would lead to multiple HC offers and make the buyout moot. Didn't happen.

Shoop reminds me of O'Brien. They had just given Shoop a significant bump the year before. To some guys, its never enough. Always have their hand out.

They normally get what they deserve.

Shoop gambled that he'd have a great defense at UT last year (and pre-season, on paper, that was a good bet) then he'd jump into a HC gig.

Well, things didn't exactly go as planned. His defense played poorly and also had injury issues (somehow PSU's defense adapted to injuries, but Shoop didn't). He wasn't even on the radar for G5 or D-1AA HC jobs.

Reactions: BBrown
Shoop wanted to be a head coach and jumped to UT because he thought a good season was more likely at UT than PSU to make him more marketable. Bad bet. Moorehead came in and could have had the Minnesota HC job, among others.

Shoop reminds me of O'Brien. They had just given Shoop a significant bump the year before. To some guys, its never enough. Always have their hand out.

5371ee4b5703d.gif

He bet that a big season at UT would lead to multiple HC offers and make the buyout moot. Didn't happen.

this is as likely a theory as any

You're hoping won't do Shoop a damn bit of good. He's screwed.

We've all heard that line many, many times about people and Penn State over the last 5 years. And nobody who we wanted to get screwed, got screwed.

That said, I'm not defending Shoop here. If that's the kind of guy he is, you wonder why JF ever hitched his wagon to him in the first place, since it doesn't seem like something that any of the other guys on staff would do.

We did a lot of wailing/gnashing of teeth when Shoop jumped, and it turned out that it wasn't just addition by subtraction, it was multiplication by subtraction. Funny how that all works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Maybe Shoop should have looked at film rather than reading VolQuest in making his decision.

Reactions: BBrown
Okay - makes sense. I read the chronology as they're suing him and don't expect him to pay up. Long day...

Don't worry, it's not you, it's the author. Opening paragraph should have read "Bob Shoop has refused to pay $900,000 owed to Penn State under the buyout clause of his former contract. The University is now suing to recover the debt."

Please take this opportunity to use the Ignore feature.
Not PPB. He is a character. I will never ignore certain posters - PPB, Barry & Pennsy_Kraken come to mind. They are the collective straw that stirs the board. Heck, can you imagine the board without Barry? Dull. Well, he was in the penalty box a couple of times, so we were without him for stretches. Always a breath of fresh air when he returned.

Last edited:
How's he doing to explain this while out recruiting?

"Come play for me and you be playing for an honest, stand up guy."?

"Parents, if your son commits, he'll learn about football but also learn life's lessons."?

Not a good look for him.

I believe this is true. I also suspect that he didn't think his dad would be at TN very long so why follow him there.
Found this article, PSU_91...
Tyler Shoop ‘didn’t want to leave’ Penn State after his father took job at Tennessee
BY GORDON BRUNSKILL

gbrunskill@centredaily.com

When defensive coordinator Bob Shoop left the team last winter to take the same position at Tennessee, the entire family did not go with him.

His son, Tyler, a redshirt freshman receiver with the Nittany Lions, remained in State College.

“It was his decision and I told him, do what’s best for him,” Tyler Shoop said. “I wanted to stay here. I love Penn State, I love being a part of this team, I love all the guys.”

Tyler said the football part of his life really hasn’t changed, and head coach James Franklin and receivers coach Josh Gattis are not treating him any different from when his father was on the staff.

“I love the all the guys on the team, the coaches,” Tyler Shoop said. “Just the atmosphere of the whole university is a great place to be, and I didn’t want to leave.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/sports/c...u-football/article93791712.html#storylink=cpy

Not PPB. He is a character. I will never ignore certain posters - PPB, Barry & Pennsy_Kraken come to mind. They are the collective straw that stirs the board. Heck, can you imagine the board without Barry? Dull. Well, he was in the penalty box a couple of times, so we were without him for stretches. Always a breath of fresh air when he returned.
YEP, I 100% agree. They bring some good insight to the serious issues we were straining with the last six years and ocassionaly added humor for dessert.
Without them and several others ....
The King's Court would have no jesters.

Reactions: mn78psu83
And let's be clear: based on all evidence, he is completely correct.

I hope Shoop doesn't pay them a dime. They'll just take it and give it to another one of their pals.
That is a Fing stupid comment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT