ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Costas just called the Pirates a Farm team.

Back to back nights giving up runs in the eighth inning to a pathetic nationals team. It’s these kind of games that ultimately start long losing streaks for the Pirates and put them into complete sell mode.
If they can get the 70 wins this year and actually spend some money in free agency they’ve definitely got a window where the cubs and reds will be down for another year or two each and the Brewers are about to lose some free agents so there’s a chance to move up the division if they ever spend any money.

Back to back nights giving up runs in the eighth inning to a pathetic nationals team. It’s these kind of games that ultimately start long losing streaks for the Pirates and put them into complete sell mode.
If they can get the 70 wins this year and actually spend some money in free agency they’ve definitely got a window where the cubs and reds will be down for another year or two each and the Brewers are about to lose some free agents so there’s a chance to move up the division if they ever spend any money.
You eat too many gummies!

Reactions: bison13
Yep, just said it during the Yankees Astros game. "The Pittsburgh Pirates have become a Farm team for major league baseball, sad...".
Nice job of cherry picking his comment to fit to your narrative. Costas said that to simply illustrate how many former Pirates play for the Yankees. That's a bit different than saying hey look at the Pirates they have the talent of a farm team. Whatever...

Nice job of cherry picking his comment to fit to your narrative. Costas said that to simply illustrate how many former Pirates play for the Yankees. That's a bit different than saying hey look at the Pirates they have the talent of a farm team. Whatever...
Defend Bob Nutting. Go. That's a bit different than spending a half hour that you're never getting back to dispute the wording of a statement...I'll wait...lol

Defend Bob Nutting. Go. That's a bit different than spending a half hour that you're never getting back to dispute the wording of a statement...I'll wait...lol
So you change the topic to over look the fact that you took the statement out of context. Like I said......whatever.....

Of course you overlook the fact that one of the players the Pirates acquired for Clay Holmes (who was the third best reliever for the Pirates) is 24 years old and has hit 8 home runs before the All Star break.

You also overlook the fact that one of the players acquired in the Taillon trade (who has had 2 Tommy John injuries and cancer) is 22 years old pitching in the majors and is showing signs of becoming the Pirates best starter. A pitcher that recently drew high praise from an opposing manager after his performance against his own team who couldn't touch his slider.

I understand none of this fits your agenda to talk down the Pirates.

Further more any one who says the Pirates don't have and top talent on their team knows very little about baseball talent. EVERY team in the league would take Reynolds and Hayes on their team in a heart beat. Reynolds hit three home runs yesterday. Two players have hit three home runs in one game in the last to weeks. The last time the Pirates had a player hit three home runs in a game in the same time frame was 1971. The player is pictured above.

So you change the topic to over look the fact that you took the statement out of context. Like I said......whatever.....

Of course you overlook the fact that one of the players the Pirates acquired for Clay Holmes (who was the third best reliever for the Pirates) is 24 years old and has hit 8 home runs before the All Star break.

You also overlook the fact that one of the players acquired in the Taillon trade (who has had 2 Tommy John injuries and cancer) is 22 years old pitching in the majors and is showing signs of becoming the Pirates best starter. A pitcher that recently drew high praise from an opposing manager after his performance against his own team who couldn't touch his slider.

I understand none of this fits your agenda to talk down the Pirates.

Further more any one who says the Pirates don't have and top talent on their team knows very little about baseball talent. EVERY team in the league would take Reynolds and Hayes on their team in a heart beat. Reynolds hit three home runs yesterday. Two players have hit three home runs in one game in the last to weeks. The last time the Pirates had a player hit three home runs in a game in the same time frame was 1971. The player is pictured above.
Defend Bob Nutting. Go.

Defend Bob Nutting. Go.
he's a smart business person.

Forbes has the Pirates at $1.3B. he bought them for less than $100m.

So he claims to lose several million per year for 15 years but increased his asset by over $1.2B, didn't pay a penny in taxes and will only pay capital gains taxes (less as a percentage than most of us pay in payroll taxes) when he liquidates!

Get Smart!

200.gif

So he claims to lose several million per year for 15 years but increased his asset by over $1.2B, didn't pay a penny in taxes and will only pay capital gains taxes (less as a percentage than most of us pay in payroll taxes) when he liquidates!

Get Smart!

200.gif
I do not recall ever hearing Nutting say the Pirates lose money. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Obliviax
@auxgym “I do not recall ever hearing Nutting say the Pirates lose money. I could be wrong.”

Reactions: Ski

Get Smart!

200.gif
So he's an a$$hole who steals money from fans while putting a losing team on the field for every single season he's owned the team except 2013, 14, and 15.

Got it. Lol.

So he's an a$$hole who steals money from fans while putting a losing team on the field for every single season he's owned the team except 2013, 14, and 15.

Got it. Lol.
It’s far worse. I don’t care if fans are stupid enough to support the team. It what irks me is that taxpayers have no choice. Taxpayers built the stadium except for about 50 million. But they gave the Prospects the naming rights which sell for 50 million! They also got all the parking gate, restaurants, concessions, and more. Plus, the stadium authority is on the hook for major maintenance and improvements like new turf or more box seats. The deal is so bad that I swear John Kerry negotiated it!

Last edited:
Moreover, they just called up O'Neill Cruz this past week, who looks like a player whom you normally would see come from the Cardinals' or Dodgers' farm systems. They also recently signed Hayes and Reynolds to contract extensions. The future actually is very bright for this organization.

Cruz actually started in the Dodgers farm system, the Pirates got him in a trade (think it was for their closer).

The Dodgers had also traded away a prospect to Houston who is now an MVP candidate.

This may seem at odds until you consider that Pittsburgh's city limits are virtually unchanged from a century ago, while other cities like Houston, Phoenix, and San Diego keep annexing their suburbs and gaining land area. The last time Pittsburgh expanded its city boundaries was in 1907.

If Pittsburgh expanded its city limits to around the same area as any other city in the top 10, its population would grow from around 300,000 to over one million, and it would become the 9th most populous city in the US, a massive jump from 56.

Lots of people have move up to the North Hills or beyond.

Wasn't that long ago when Cranberry Township was mostly farmland.

Now it's strip mall after strip mall.

It’s far worse. I don’t care of fans are stupid enough to support the team. It what irks me is that taxpayers and s no choice. Taxpayers built the stadium except for about 40 million. But they have the Prospects the naming rights which sell for 50 million! They also got all the parking gate, restaurants, concessions, and more. Plus, the stadium authority is on the hook for major maintenance and improvements like new turf or more box seats. The deal is so bad that I swear John Kerry negotiated it!

Huge corporate welfare payouts is usually the provence of the other party.

Arlington, TX taxpayers have paid for 2 new ballpark for the Rangers within the past 2 decades or so (the 1st, made Dubya a millionaire).

Cruz actually started in the Dodgers farm system, the Pirates got him in a trade (think it was for their closer).

The Dodgers had also traded away a prospect to Houston who is now an MVP candidate.

Arlington, TX taxpayers have paid for 2 new ballpark for the Rangers within the past 2 decades or so (the 1st, made Dubya a millionaire).
The tax draft is tremendous. Cleveland building the baseball and basketball arenas next to each other has yielded a ton for the city. Hotels, bars and restaurants are all over the place. Those tax revenues are huge. I don’t know the + - but losing a franchise devastates a city

Has nothing to do with party politics. Shame on you. Every damn city does it and most cities aren’t R....in case you didn’t know it. The athletic business owns all politicians and screw over the very fans they claim to love.

The tax draft is tremendous. Cleveland building the baseball and basketball arenas next to each other has yielded a ton for the city. Hotels, bars and restaurants are all over the place. Those tax revenues are huge. I don’t know the + - but losing a franchise devastates a city
What did they pay for those stadiums? A billion? In prime real estate? Give a billion to Amazon, or Apple, or Toyota,or any major global corporation plus prime real estate and see how many full time jobs working 52 weeks/year instead of 52 days plus paying real estate taxes on the property and see what revenues are generated.

What did they pay for those stadiums? A billion? In prime real estate? Give a billion to Amazon, or Apple, or Toyota,or any major global corporation plus prime real estate and see how many full time jobs working 52 weeks/year instead of 52 days plus paying real estate taxes on the property and see what revenues are generated.
When they line up the city will surely consider it (under its Brooklyn)

The real estate, at the time, wasn’t prime BTW

Has nothing to do with party politics. Shame on you. Every damn city does it and most cities aren’t R....in case you didn’t know it. The athletic business owns all politicians and screw over the very fans they claim to love.

Really?

LA, San Diego and SF have all refused to fund Billionaire tax write offs.

Sure, cities of all stripes have done so, but one side is more apt to say no.

Btw, when Ghouliani was Mayor of NYC, he was willing to have the taxpayers fund new ballparks/stadiums for the Yankees, Mets and Jets.

He did end up successfully having the tax payers fund new minor league ballparks for the Yankees and Mets.

Last edited:
The last time the Pirates were relevant? 🤔
A team is only relevant if they’ve won a title? Might as well inform the first place Brew Crew and WC leading Padres of this.

There would be 33 less relevant teams in the 4 major sports, plus 1-2 dozen expansion teams that have never won a title.

Didn’t realize the Buccos relevant position on relevancy wasn’t so bad. Thanks for the insight.

Really?

Btw, when Ghouliani was Mayor of NYC, he was willing to have the taxpayers fund new ballparks/stadiums for the Yankees, Mets and Jets.

He did end up successfully having the tax payers fund new minor league ballparks for the Yankees and Mets.
Not referencing politics but what team was going to leave those cash cows? Teams have left NY for Jersey. Small market teams are at great risk of losing their franchises so it is pay up or out

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Really?

What a schmuck. San Seigo is pretty damn conservative. Had an R mayor from 2014-2020.

And of about fifty cities with pro teams how many are R? Probably less than five. Almost all cities are heavily run by the 🤡 party. Mayor, council, police chief, DA, school boards, dog catcher. Own it.

And yes both parties are corrupt. Thanks for the breaking news there. Why do you think Trump won? Because he attacked both parties!

Reactions: Ski and bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT