ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Trustees Election Results - Thank You

BrandonShort43

Gold Member
Jan 25, 2018
We did it! I am now officially a member of the Pennsylvania State University's Board of Trustees. While there are numerous people who have helped and supported me I would be remiss if I did not personally thank a few. I'd like to thank Rob Tribeck, Alvin de Leive, Laurie Stanell for a hard fought race in support of Penn State. Thanks to the PS4RS team for running such great campaigns. With a special thanks to the team from BrandThumb and my wife Mahreen Short who has been my campaign manager and strongest supporter. The journey is just beginning...We Are!

Dear Penn State Family -

The election results are in and I’m happy to announce that I am now a member of Penn State’s Board of Trustees! I’d like to thank everyone who has supported me and shared their stories throughout this journey as this win is more yours than my own.

My interest in running for Penn State’s Board began in 1998, during my junior year when I witnessed my first Board meeting at the Nittany Lion Inn. I remember being struck by the important tasks the people who sat on the Board were charged with. They were highly respected, successful Penn Staters who were charting the course of our great University. In retrospect, I believe I've been preparing for this position for almost 20 years.

In October 2017, several board members expressed an interest in nominating me for an appointed seat on the board. I was honored as this was further validation that now is the time for me to help lead our University. At that point, my mind was made up that I would compete and win an Alumni elected seat on the Board. I wanted to go through the process, earn your trust and win your vote. Over the past few months, I've campaigned in seven different cities and I've listened to the concerns of many Alumni who have both enlightened and inspired me.

Many of our children dream of following in our footsteps as Penn Staters. With the rising cost of tuition, this dream is becoming out of reach for middle-class families. For that reason, affordability is my number one issue and I will work tirelessly to keep cost under control.

To reach our full potential we must also address the divide that exists within our community. Some Penn Staters are still heartbroken and mistrustful of leadership while others want to simply move on. I will work to help heal our community and to rebuild trust in leadership - not for the past but Penn State’s future.

I'm truly humbled by your support and appreciate this tremendous vote of confidence. This is not a letter to tell you how the conversation is going to end but rather an acknowledgment of how it has begun. I’m looking forward to working with you to improve our great University.

WE ARE...

Congrats and thanks for being a good listener and entertaining my thoughts at Public House last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrandonShort43
Welcome back, Brandon. Met you in Mexico in the late 1990s. You were a terrific ambassador of Penn State then and I have no doubt that you'll make us Penn State proud in your new role as trustee. Best wishes in making an impact. #WeAre

Last edited:
Congratulations, Brandon. Was sitting at breakfast in the Corner Room this morning, reading the headline article in the Centre Daily Times, concerning the extension of Barron’s contract through 2022.

Following the perfunctory quote from Dambly, the article went on to note the complaint of another trustee (one of the A9, can’t recall who) that the extension was discussed, documented and approved by a five member subcommittee of the Board, effectively freezing out the full Board from participating. A few A9 trustees abstained from the final Board vote.

Yawn. Color me underwhelmed.

I hope we can expect a more vigorous and sustained advocacy for change from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78 and PSUFBFAN
ADVERTISEMENT