ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal wins the 2019 Hodge Trophy!

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
Penn State senior Bo Nickal has won the 2019 Hodge Trophy, which is presented annually to the nation’s top collegiate wrestler. The award came as little surprise after Nickal had one of the most dominating seasons in the sport’s history, going 30-0 to win his third-straight NCAA individual championship.

The 197-pounder also played a key role in the Nittany Lions having a perfect dual-meet record, and winning Big Ten and NCAA team titles. Nickal registered team bonus points in all but three of his 30 matches and led the nation with 18 victories by fall. He also had three technical falls and six major decisions.

Penn Staters have now won the last three Hodge Trophies, as Nickal followed in the footsteps of Zain Retherford (2018, 2017). David Taylor (2014, 2012) and Kerry McCoy (1997) are other Lions who have won the Hodge.

Nickal received 37 of 51 first-place votes for the Hodge this year. Teammate Jason Nolf, another senior and the undefeated NCAA champion at 157 pounds, received 10 first-place votes to finish in second place.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...6B-E0-C9-D8190402_011621PennStateNittanyLions

Can someone clarify how many PSU wrestlers have won the Hodge during Cael’s Tenure? Taylor, Retherford, Nickal?

3 - Taylor, Retherford, and Nickal

In 5 of the 10 years of Cael's tenure at Penn State, Nittany Lions have won the Hodge Trophy (2012, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019).

Cael Sanderson has an unbelievable resume. He was a 4 time individual NCAA division 1 champion, ending up with an astounding 159-0 record and 3 Hodge Trophies.

His record as a coach has been equally impressive. He has coached at Penn State for 10 years (2010-2019) and has won 8 national championships!

Penn State is lucky to have him!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cael_Sanderson

Last edited:
Can someone clarify how many PSU wrestlers have won the Hodge during Cael’s Tenure? Taylor, Retherford, Nickal?
Yes, and Taylor won 2 (2012 and 2014) and Retherford won 2 (2017 and 2018, plus 2nd in 2016)

Ed Ruth finished 2nd in the voting in 2012 and 2013

Reactions: LionJim
Penn State senior Bo Nickal has won the 2019 Hodge Trophy, which is presented annually to the nation’s top collegiate wrestler. The award came as little surprise after Nickal had one of the most dominating seasons in the sport’s history, going 30-0 to win his third-straight NCAA individual championship.

The 197-pounder also played a key role in the Nittany Lions having a perfect dual-meet record, and winning Big Ten and NCAA team titles. Nickal registered team bonus points in all but three of his 30 matches and led the nation with 18 victories by fall. He also had three technical falls and six major decisions.

Penn Staters have now won the last three Hodge Trophies, as Nickal followed in the footsteps of Zain Retherford (2018, 2017). David Taylor (2014, 2012) and Kerry McCoy (1997) are other Lions who have won the Hodge.

Nickal received 37 of 51 first-place votes for the Hodge this year. Teammate Jason Nolf, another senior and the undefeated NCAA champion at 157 pounds, received 10 first-place votes to finish in second place.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-wrestling-Bo-Nickal-Hodge-Trophy-NCAA-top-wrestler-130781806/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190402_011621_Penn State Nittany Lions&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=1E-13-E3-8D-19-81-18-E8-80-6E-16-E7-6B-E0-C9-D8190402_011621PennStateNittanyLions
Congratulations Bo!!

Reactions: francofan
Penn State senior Bo Nickal has won the 2019 Hodge Trophy
I'm happy for Bo - he was one of my favorites ever. You never knew quite what he was going to do it seemed, just that it was probably going to be exciting and he was almost always going to win. He deserved this. But I feel a little bad for Nolf - he had a dominant career, showed a lot of heart in coming back from a knee injury to win last year, and was a great teammate. He also was one that fans of other teams admired for his dominance. He just happened to be wrestling at the same time as Bo and Zain. Three all-timers.

I'm happy for Bo - he was one of my favorites ever. You never knew quite what he was going to do it seemed, just that it was probably going to be exciting and he was almost always going to win. He deserved this. But I feel a little bad for Nolf - he had a dominant career, showed a lot of heart in coming back from a knee injury to win last year, and was a great teammate. He also was one that fans of other teams admired for his dominance. He just happened to be wrestling at the same time as Bo and Zain. Three all-timers.

The Hodge Trophy is a great way for Bo to finish his wrestling career at Penn State. The things I enjoyed most about Bo was watching him catch his opponent in a cradle as well as watching him scramble in a tight match. He will go down as one of the greatest Nittany Lion grapplers of all time.

I really liked Nolf as well. Yes, it is a shame that he had to wrestle at the same time as Zain and Bo. He had a tremendous career at Penn State. He was a bonus point machine and a great pinner. I wish he would have been able to win a Hodge Trophy as well. He certainly deserved one imho.

I still dont know how he does this, but when you've been doing it since you're 6...

Thanks for sharing. This match is one of the greatest collegian wrestling matches of all time! It will no doubt go down as the best match of Bo's career. It was such an unbelievable moment in time in a championship match to go from getting taken down and put on your back to pinning your opponent, winning an individual NCAA division 1 championship and clinching the team title for your school at the same time. I know that I will never forget it. The after match interview is a classic!

Q: You went from being on your back to the pin. What happened?

Bo: I have been doing that move since I was 6. No other need to freak out or anything. I knew he was going to his back.

Q: It was the 9th meeting between you and Myles Martin. I saw you pacing before the match. What is going on in your head?

Bo: Let's get this. This is what I live for. Alright. I train every day wanting to come out here and be a NCAA champion and win team titles at Penn State because that is what we do.

Q: What is your reaction to clinching the team title?

Bo: That's expected. That is what we do at Penn State. If you come to Penn State, you win big matches; you win team titles.

Reactions: sluggo72
I know less than nothing about the sport of wrestling. However, I love watching this kid compete. A real competitor/athlete can entertain playing texas hold'em, Cooties or tiddlywinks. This kid is the best of the best.

cootie-bug-canada.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT